URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID58
Thread Number: 591
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Reasons to watch this show"

Posted by LexCorp on 07-13-05 at 09:17 AM
I don't care if they are acting or not. Maybe I'm the only one, but the only reason I watch this show is to see the Joe's get humiliated and get a good laugh. If all of them got eliminated before he hunks I would probably stop watching but that would never happen. The producers are smart and will make it a Joe vs Hunk at the end.

If you actually watch this show thinking it is a "reality" show it isn't. I mean they don't even pick "Average" guys. I live in Canada, so maybe U.S. is less average than Canada? But i doubt that since there is so much more people. They pick the below average people. If they really wanted to make this show real, then they would really pick the average joe with an average job that is average looking with an average personality. An example would be a regular guy that has a decent job, has good friends, has hand-eye coordination, etc. Just look at the dodge ball competition. If they were really average joes, i don't care how much muscle you have the average joe would be able to make for a fair game. These guys that are "Average" are totally uncoordinated and are far from average. Overweight is not average, and also skinny like a toothpick is not average.

A Good example of average people are like those shown on the reality show "Fear Factor". They have normal jobs, normal looks, most of them have normal personalities, and they're well rounded people. The first season of Fear Factor was the best though because they were indeed "Average Joe's". Although in recent seasons they seem to be getting more attractive people (showing more women in bikinis, more guys with 6-packs, etc) but alot of them are still average.

I admit, that Carson guy is an idiot, but most guys that are "hunks" arn't like that. He is just an extreme case. But all in all, I think if you get an avg joe or even below avg joe that has a great personality, and you get a "hunk" with a great personality, then the "hunk" will win hands down. There is no way in hell anyone would pick the below avg or avg joe. Why would you settle for less if you can get the whole package? This show is stupid, because if i was picking a dood, i would want the best, not just an average guy cuz his personality is good. I would want the best looking and best personality, or something in between. Maybe i'm just superficial (which I am) and all of you are really nice and want the perfect personality and not looks. I It would take A LOT of good personality for me to like a below average girl.

I've also talked to a couple friends (guys) that watch this show and they also say that they watch this show to see the Joe's get humiliated. I don't know about girls because my girl friends don't watch the show. But anyone that watches this show for the romance of the Joe's is pretty silly.

So why does everyone else watch this show? I'd love to hear it

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Reasons to watch this show"
Posted by BlueLies on 07-13-05 at 11:44 AM
I think I just keep waiting for someone to break the mold and behave differently... still waiting. Although, Anna may surprise me.

I think you're right, these are below-average joes. I think Fear Factor contestants aren't average or normal ~ they seem hyperbuff and obsessively competitive to me. The menial amount they give you to ingest end trails and such isn't much of an incentive to me.

I heard William Hung this morning singing "Wherever You Go" - so terribly out of key, and I just thought, could I suffer through all that humiliation for the money like he does? I just don't know if I could do that. Even the record label doesn't have a problem with it.

I supposed they have acquired an undiscovered demographic... if the Hung fans sing off key too, buy Hung's CD and sing along, they don't feel so out of place.

Posted by LexCorp on 07-13-05 at 02:27 PM
Well, the last 2 people on avg joe will be a hunk and a below-avg joe. These 2 people will have personalities that Anna will like (yes, hunks have good personalities too), and if I was Anna I definately would choose the better looking one if I indeed liked both of them.

You mentioned Fear Factor people are all hyperbuff. I agree that as the show progressed, they got better and better looking people, but most of these people are still average. Sometimes you get the occasional model or super ripped guy with a 6-pack, but many of them are just average people that enjoy working out for fun or for personal health, or just to look better. Just because someone works out doesn't make them above average. In another view, you can't consider someone that doesn't take care of themselves, or doesn't care about personal hygene to be an average joe.

This show should be called Average Geek or somthing.

As far as William Hung, he probably doesn't understand the North American culture or he is just really good at being bad to make money. I don't follow him so I don't really know whats going on, but he is ridiculously bad at singing and dancing which makes most of us North Americans laugh. But he is probably a star back home? I dont' know...

Posted by Moother on 07-13-05 at 04:03 PM
LAST EDITED ON 07-13-05 AT 04:05 PM (EST)

Well since I am an average Jane, I certainly don't watch this show to see the Average Joe's humiliate themselves. In fact I usually don't watch the whole show, I Tivo through it. I watched the first one because I actually thought it was a show that was giving the AJ a chance to have something good happen just like the Bachelor shows give beautiful people the chance. What it turns out being is a voyeurs view into an unhappy person life. Someone that is so desperate to find a wonderful mate that they will go on television and humilate themselves.
I don't really think these guys are technically AVERAGE either. They seem to pick average with QUIRKS . Just like the Hunks they bring on are Hunks w/o class.
AVERAGE is in the eye of the beholder so what I think is that the producers have limited access to average people if they think these guys are the average. More likely they pick these bumbling dudes to make us all feel better about ourselves so that we can watch and think, WOW I am not so bad!
The fear factor shows I watched in the first season were somewhat entertaining with almost normal people until they started eating gross crap. Since the first season the people tend to be mainly girls with breat implants and psycho jocks that want to be seen on TV (this is just my opinion) I don't watch that show anymore because once you have seen it, they are all the same.
Someone earlier said that fat wasn't average but technically in the US it is. Studies show that 60 % of the American public is FAT. (me included)
Maybe the next show should be LOVING LARGE and have us fatties get to fall in love and be further ridiculed on television.

Posted by kryp on 07-13-05 at 03:49 PM
LAST EDITED ON 07-13-05 AT 03:51 PM (EST)

Good points. This show is like being attracted to the freaks at the circus. The average joe's are below the bar and the so called hunks are pretty average in my opinion. I doubt seriously if immature punks like Carson and Mike get very much positive attention with their 12 year old antics.

As far as the other hunks; Brad, Greg, and Craig are weird looking dudes. What's with that moptop hairdo? LOL! Some of these guys obviously got on the juice to get pumped up for this show. They just don't look right to me. Anna already picked out the one guy who stands out from the rest. Unless it's revealed that he has some sort of criminal past or something, it's probably not going to matter to her what any character flaws he might have are revealed to be. We already know the outcome. The rest of the episodes will only entertain us with how much they can abuse and humiliate the Joes. This is the cruelest show ever aired on TV, but I can't stop watching. IT's like not being able to pass by a car wreck without looking to see if there are any casualties.