URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID77
Thread Number: 590
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Season 3 DVD"

Posted by moonbaby on 12-10-07 at 08:43 PM
Season 3 DVD comes out TOMORROW! One small request: if anyone here happens to get this and there actually is something new discovered in the never before seen footage won't you please let us know? Now that Heroes is done the withdrawal is going to be very very bad.

Thanks!

*sidesteps tumbleweed and leaves deserted forum*

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Season 3 DVD"
Posted by CTgirl on 12-11-07 at 09:05 AM
LAST EDITED ON 12-11-07 AT 09:08 AM (EST)

*kicks tumbleweed back to Bonanza City*

The season 3 DVD is on my Christmas list so I won't be watching it for a while, but I did happen to read a review last night in Entertainment Weekly magazine: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20163314,00.html "It's worth the price tag just to have Cuse and Emerson talk you through Ben and Locke's confrontation with the invisible..."

Also in case you don't know about this, ABC is posting 3 minutes webisodes every Monday. "Missing Pieces" provide clues to the show's "murky mythology." http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/missingpieces/index
ETA: They capture that spooky Lost vibe and make you want more!

Lost premieres Feb. 4th. I can't wait!!

Christmas cookies with Sharnina

"oooh!"
Posted by moonbaby on 12-12-07 at 04:11 PM
Thanks for the info!!! I had no idea about the webisodes. YAY!

"Easter Eggs and "New" Information on Bonus Disc"
Posted by Ice 9 on 12-12-07 at 11:52 PM
I got the set yesterday and have only watched the Bonus Disc (and not even all of that yet). I found 10 Easter Eggs on that disc alone, but only one of them would really qualify as "interesting"--The entire Room 23 video that Karl was watching Clockwork Orange-style in "Not In Portland" (I think it was that episode).

There are only 3 added flashbacks (although one of the deleted scenes is a flashback, so I'm not sure why it was put in that section and not the flashback section), and none of them are particularly revealing. One is from "Further Instructions" and is Locke seeing the pot farm being busted by the Feds (this would precede the standoff scene in the woods with the agent who betrayed his trust). One is from "The Glass Ballerina" and is Jin at Jae's funeral expressing his condolences to Jae's mother. And one is from "Expose" and is Nikki freaking out after the Purple Sky Event and trying to convince Paulo to give up on the jewels and concentrate on making friends. All three fall into the category of character builders (Locke witnessing his betrayal, Jin looking remorseful about Jae's fate, and Nikki trying to appear more "human"), but no new info to be gained here.

There is some good stuff in the deleted scenes section, though. There are about 10 of these, and a few flesh out some details and/or help to confirm stuff. There's a scene where Pickett is telling Sawyer that he's breaking rocks to build a runway (something Juliet later told him in the finale) and that the only reason they're alive is to help build it. There's a scene where Ben and Alex have a fight and Ben tells her he has a tumor. Alex tells him she doesn't care if he dies. The best scene is probably Ben and Locke on the way to Jacob's cabin and Locke confronts Ben about knowing she isn't his real daughter. Ben says he didn't "kidnap" her, but he did raise her. Locke asks why he told Alex her mother was dead, and Ben says it's because she's a lunatic. She killed her whole crew and spent the next 16 years sleeping in ditches.

The Easter Eggs are all short pieces, mostly having to do with life on the set. The main menu on the Bonus disc looks like Ben's monitor wall with 6 screens. Only 4 are active. I've been trying to see if there's a way to get the other two to become active, but no luck so far. Here's what I have found:

Screen #1: Inactive
Screen #2:
1. From the first menu item (Lost Book Club--which is a very good short by the way), press the LEFT button then the UP button. You get a short on the polar bear chow and the fish biscuits.

2. From the second menu item, press RIGHT twice. There is a short on the ping pong table.

3. From the third menu item, press LEFT three times. There is a short on wild chickens disturbing shooting on the cage set.

Screen #3:
1. From the first menu item, press LEFT twice. This is the Room 23 video.
2. From the second menu item, press RIGHT then UP. This is a "Thank You" video to the crew from Michael Emerson and Jack Bender.
3. From the third menu item, press LEFT twice. This is a short on submarines.

Screen #4:
1. From the first menu item, press LEFT then UP. This is Dominic Monaghan talking about doing the NY Times Friday Crossword with Daniel Dae Kim.
2. From the third menu item, press RIGHT three times. This is a short on the makeup artist doing up Eko's machete victims.

Screen #5:
1. From the first menu item, press LEFT then DOWN. This is a short on the island delicacy (and crew favorite) of shaved ice.
2. From From the second menu item, press RIGHT twice. This is a short on the people who brought in the spiders for "Expose". (Not for arachniphobes.)

Screen #6: Inactive

I'll report back if I find anything else...

"Thanks"
Posted by trigirl on 12-13-07 at 09:47 AM
I love every detail.
bouncey by Ice

"Commentary on "The Man Behind the Curtain""
Posted by Ice 9 on 12-22-07 at 01:34 PM
There are 4 episodes that have commentaries on them:

"A Tale of Two Cities" (Damon Lindelof & Elizabeth Mitchell)
"I Do" (Carlton Cuse, Evangeline Lilly, & Josh Holloway)
"Expose" (Edward Kitsis & Adam Horowitz)
"The Man Behind the Curtain" (Damon Lindelof, Carlton Cuse, & Michael Emerson)

I have watched 3 (all but "Expose"). "Tale" is a lot of Damon being goofy and Elizabeth Mitchell (Juliet) laughing at him. Not really much insight. Lots of discussion about the 6 episode block, the Hydra set, etc. No good giveaways. "I Do" is mostly a discussion about Kate and her relationships with Sawyer & Jack, Evangeline's & Josh's processes as actors, and working on the Hydra set. Again, this is more of a "behind the scenes of filming" and character study than a plot revelation.

"The Man Behind the Curtain", otoh, is a MUST see for people who want more to sink their teeth into regarding the mythology of the island. There were LOTS of good nuggets here. I'll throw out what I remember...

* Annie's story is not done. She was HUGE in Ben's life and we haven't seen the end of her.

* We didn't really see Ben's motive for participating in the purge, but we will.

* Horace and Olivia will return (in flashback, of course) and are also important to the Dharma story.

* The volcano that Olivia was replicating in class represents a real one on the island that is of "seismic" (pun by Damon intended) importance.

* Damon described the relationship between Alpert and Ben as like the Panchen Lama and the Dalai Lama. Apparently, after the Dalai Lama dies, it is the Panchen Lama's job to meditate and find where the Dalai Lama's spirit has been reincarnated (and vice versa, thus creating sort of a chicken and egg scenario on the island). Alpert would be the Panchen Lama to Ben's Dalai Lama.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panchen_lama

* The ash circle around Jacob's cabin serves a purpose. They talked about Ben having certain powers over Jacob and Jacob having certain powers over Ben.

* Damon said that Ben's penchant for using rabbits is likely tied to fertility experiments, but Carlton added that they are probably numbered to be able to tell them apart (possibly referring to the Orchid video?).

* The journal that Ben is writing in at the beginning of the episode was actually written by Michael Emerson and was initially just supposed to be an unimportant prop. Damon & Carlton said that when they realized that the journal would be visible (and able to be screen captured by DVRs) they had to read it to make sure there wasn't any "bad" information there. They said they were amazed at how spot-on it was. This seemed to surprise Michael Emerson, too.

* Damon and Carlton also added that they are continually amazed watching dailies of Michael Emerson's acting choices with Ben because he plays them differently, but oftentimes BETTER, than was the original intent of the script. Emerson said that they'll do multiple takes of the same scene and he's been given the liberty of trying different things with each take. They used the example of the "You do remember birthdays" line he delivers to Alpert as one that could be done many ways, and that Emerson doesn't really know yet what he meant by that line.

There's more I've forgotten, but I WILL be watching this commentary again. I don't think I've ever said that about a DVD. Usually I'm one-and-done with them if I even watch them at all. This is one where you'll want a notebook handy.

"Thank you!"
Posted by moonbaby on 01-01-08 at 11:30 AM
Good tidbits of info there, much appreciate it!