URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID91
Thread Number: 588
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Would you watch this show if you weren't already hooked?"

Posted by Zoey on 11-30-05 at 03:52 PM
I was hooked on this show last season, when things were very different.

I still like the show but in a different way.

I used to think of it as educational, now it seems to be more entertainment oriented.

I'm not above admitting that I like the show now but I still wish to have back that one hour where I actually believed I could learn something.

Maybe we shouldn't depend on the boob tube for that but I thought it was refreshing and innovative.

So, would you still watch if you weren't hooked?

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Would you watch this show if you weren't already hooked?"
Posted by perkyj on 11-30-05 at 04:45 PM
Good question! And my answer... Absolutely Not!!!

Ive watched for about 2 years, so I think that's 3 seasons if you count the rerun in the summer, but this one is by far the worst. I'm not learning anything and it gets more frustrating with each episode. They must be looking for a different crowd as if they don't have enough of 'those' shows already. What a shame.

Posted by SOfan0221 on 11-30-05 at 04:54 PM
It seems it is all about ratings. And that takes away from the quality of the shows.

All the 'SO Firsts' we have had this year is too much. The first 'D', the first HG to not be expelled but instead moved to the guest room???? huh?????

This show is supposed to be about women helping women. This group seems only to help themselves. I thought Towanda and Kim were bosom buddies and in their own little clique but I definately think Allison and Jessica has topped that.

Christina is beginning to make me sick with the way she thinks she can treat TJ, and even feels smug about it.

Lisa seems less scattered but when they were working on the humanity house today I thought 'oh, oh there are men there' and sure enough the promo for tomorrow says lisa's flirting is out of control....ugh.

Allison, please leave you are driving me crazy with your need to be on camera.

I say graduate poor TJ before them make her a nut case by the treatment she gets from the other hg AND the LC's (both Rhonda and Iyanla) Rhonda hasn't met with TJ in about a week, what is that all about?

Jill, you go girl. I knew you weren't going to keep that 5 pound weight gain and that it would come off the next week.

But honestly, to answer your question I will most likely watch this show until it is off the air. I don't like the way it has developed this year, and I am not crazy about the group of women in their now but I know as they graduate others will replace them and maybe, just maybe we can get back to what it is all about. Women helping women.

Posted by 3girlsmom on 11-30-05 at 05:36 PM
Good question and no I wouldn't. Before If I were to miss an epsidoe I would tape it. This season I don't even bother and to me that is sad. This show is chaniging and definatly not for the better.
kathy

Posted by shockedandamused on 11-30-05 at 10:29 PM
Yes. I'd never seen this show before October of this year. My DIL recorded an episode on TiVo and invited me to watch with her. I've not missed a day since.

I love it and most of the women on it.

Posted by 4theanimals on 11-30-05 at 10:54 PM
I've watched SO since the beginning. I enjoyed watching the show to see the great transformations that happened to the woman. I felt like I learned through the women's growth. So having said that - I probably wouldn't watch it now. Or at least not as regularly. I think now I almost watch it hoping that it will get back to where it was. I'm tired of yelling at the tv! I hope it straightens up soon.

Posted by notstartingover on 12-01-05 at 02:31 AM
>I was hooked on this show
>last season, when things were
>very different.
>
>I still like the show but
>in a different way.
>
>I used to think of it
>as educational, now it seems
>to be more entertainment oriented.
>
>
>I'm not above admitting that I
>like the show now but
>I still wish to have
>back that one hour where
>I actually believed I could
>learn something.
>
>Maybe we shouldn't depend on the
>boob tube for that but
>I thought it was refreshing
>and innovative.
>
>So, would you still watch if
>you weren't hooked?

I don't watch religiously, but it is like watching a train wreck. If I record, I fastforward through Jessica and Alison.

Posted by Amalfi coast girl on 12-01-05 at 10:12 PM
If I hadn't seen the first two seasons I would not be watching this one.

If the production people don't come to their senses I might not finish season 3. SO has turned into a soap opera. I outgrew those a couple of decades ago.

Posted by lvgal on 12-02-05 at 02:20 PM
>I don't watch religiously, but it
>is like watching a train
>wreck. If I record,
>I fastforward through Jessica and
>Alison.

That's it exactly! I couldn't figure out why I still waste my time on this mess, but you're so right, it's like watching a train wreck!

After today, I don't know how much more of this wreck I want to witness. I'm not sure why they think having these kangaroo courts will accomplish anything. It seems like all they do is add to the gossip mill and the paranoia. How many of these accusatory meetings have they had with this group of losers?

I did like Jill and TJ, but they're all disasters right now. I haven't seen any progress toward any goals. These women need to go home!

I remember the great feelings of accomlishment achieved by most of the women in the first season. I sure don't see anything like that with this group!!!!

Jill is an intelligent woman and should be able to figure out her life on her own. TJ...I'm not sure. Christina is just a manipulative little b####. Jessica needs to quit wallowing around in self pity and get on with her life. Lisa...just go home and continue to live off of mom and dad. It suits you. If you don't want to...I will!!!! Allison...what a waste of space.

This is just my humble opinion!

Posted by susang on 12-02-05 at 12:55 PM
I stick with SO, as I watched Seasons One & Two. I'm hoping things will improve with the current cast, but I'm having doubts. By now, someone should have been asked to leave and/or graduate.

Posted by whizmo on 12-02-05 at 02:31 PM
I agree. I'm a coach myself and was watching to see what I could learn. As far as I am concerned it is just another reality show gone wrong. I think they should all be booted out.
There is no education in watching a group of defensive women gossip about each other and AVOIDING communications with the one person they need to communicate with.

Posted by Fydlstyx on 12-03-05 at 00:11 AM
Hi,

I agree with your assessment of the show. In earlier seasons and episodes it seemed like the focus was truly on helping the women in the SO house resolve their issues and start their lives over. Now, though, it seems like the life coaches create exercises designed to stir up controversy within the house for entertainment value and to make "good tv". It's a shame, because the concept for the show is a good one, but it really seems to have lost the original flavor and focus. So much time is spent on how the houseguests relate to one another - who CARES what they think of one another? They should be concentrating on working out their personal issues and making positive changes in their own lives.

Sherry

Posted by CookieLvr on 12-03-05 at 02:06 PM
Probably not. I miss SO's format in the first season when it WAS real.
When Lisa had to dress like a baby for a day AND go on a job interview was over the top. Could you see any of the first cast from Season 1 going along with that? I'm sure that Andi, Lori, Maureen, Nyanza or the rest of them would have walked out of the house if they had to do something as humiliating as that. The assignments completely PLAY to the camera.
I also think that the original houseguests would have walked if the coaches used the tough, angry tone with them. They were much kinder in season one.
Lastly, whoever selected these ladies has somehow chosen a similar quality in every person because none of them really have very much compassion for one another, other than themselves. It's a lacking of kindness for one another. They all seem to be "me" motivated. Overall, I'm still watching because I hope for the best for these ladies, but I hope the following season softens up a bit and gets back to grass roots.

Posted by bowtied on 12-05-05 at 11:52 AM
The only reason that I continue to watch SO is because it is one of the countless topics that my girlfriend can transform into a fascinating subject. We began discussing SO last season, and her comments were priceless. Although we do not view the show as a viable means of self-help, we nevertheless find a plethora of things to sit back and examine. And, the show provides quite a bit of laughs. This keeps me watching. Otherwise, no, I would not being tuned in this season.

Posted by Ldychef2k on 12-05-05 at 05:26 PM
Well, I have to admit that last year was more helpful to me as an individual. I never missed an episode, and would schedule appointments so that I would be home to watch.

This year is completely different. I WAS "addicted" to the previous season because I found so much to relate to, so many useful coping strategies to integrate into my own life.

This year it is not at all helpful. I miss the show more times than I watch it. And sometimes when it is on, I mute it while I work at my computer home job and then read a synopsis on the internet that evening of the next morning. Thus, it has become disposable entertainment.

There are no helpful things going on, so I consider it a poor choice in time management to set aside a portion of my day for the Starting Over show.

Kris

Posted by lydia on 12-05-05 at 05:38 PM
This season is at an all-time low. They all make me sick. The only real person in the house is TJ. THe testimonials are so lame, and the life-coaches are out of gas. None of these people are starting over, and it has everything to do with the personalities, their issues, and the fact that their tasks do not put them in the real world of work and function.

Posted by Cleverone on 12-05-05 at 07:30 PM

Hi Zoey...I'm not too sure that I would...I've been a loyal SO fan from day one and have become very disheartened with the direction the show has taken. Inspite of my continually watching in hopes that they will spark my interest to the level it was before the Layne's and Tess' and now, most of this crew, I don't even have the energy to post on the boards some days. I did enjoy the couples and was very enthusiastic about posting about their progress or lack of, however, I find that there's too much drawing up sides on the HG's instead of actual discussions about their progress. When we're discussing what they're wearing and who they're backstabbing the most...I find this trivial and not worthy of my time...it's gotten to the point that we've decided that only one or two of the HG's are liked and the others should just go away...IMO you don't dismiss a HG simply because their problems don't suit you...there are people out there who can relate no matter how remote the chance. I'm usually for the downtrotten, however, the banner that's being waved for TJ has taken over the individual side of the board and no matter what we start out discussing it usually winds up with a certain faction turning it into TJ being mistreated and frankly..it's tiresome.

The LC's seem distracted and the editing is "awful" this season often leaving the poor viewer trying to figure out when this episode really happened...there is little congruency and we are left with our own conjectures about what's going on...they talk about the HG's not following thru...what about them??

I never got hooked on soap operas because they offer nothing beneficial and was surprised when I got involved with SO...it offered so much more of real life experiences and an opportunity to learn and share these experiences like no other show ever had and I welcomed it with fervor. Now, I'm sad to say I still watch and somedays are better than others and still post when I find an interesting topic...however, I wished they would find their way back to where they were when this all began and do some real good with the opportunity they have to reach out to millions.

Like you, I would never miss an episode and looked forward to the educational aspect of the exercises....watching the HG's achieve and accomplish their goals..I'm just not finding too much of this anymore, yet I continue to watch just on the off moment that they'll get their act together and become the giant that they once were.

"I walk in my own shoes..."