URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID58
Thread Number: 584
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"My interview with Realityshack.com"

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 07-11-05 at 09:43 PM
LAST EDITED ON 07-13-05 AT 02:08 AM (EST)

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: My interview with Realityshack.com"
Posted by LawSchool on 07-12-05 at 06:26 PM
^Attention whore

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 07-13-05 at 02:07 AM
for the record (again).. jason..

everyone at the 'viewing' tonight was cheering and clapping when you put down 'the hunk' in the wrestling match.

job well done little man... though.. guess i can't call you little anymore since you've put on some muscle.
point is... we were all happy for you!!

Posted by mmm_link on 07-14-05 at 02:58 PM
Jason has put on some muscle??? Is this his makeover or is he returning on another AJ as a villian hunk?

Posted by Estee on 07-12-05 at 06:32 PM
LAST EDITED ON 07-12-05 AT 06:36 PM (EST)

For the record, we just love it when people come in to say 'Hey, I just did an exclusive interview with a site that isn't this one!' Makes us feel all kinds of appreciated.

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 07-13-05 at 02:04 AM
for the record...
if this site had approached me with the opportunity to do an interview... i would have been more than happy to oblige. but being that they haven't yet, i figured i would offer the people that are interested in the show (and the people ON the show) a better understanding of who i am through the interview i did with another site.

maybe i'm wrong but... i don't see anything bad about that.

Posted by Estee on 07-14-05 at 09:59 AM
First: the Shift keys should be on the lower right and left of your keyboard. The taser charge normally carried through them has probably been disabled. Try it out.

Second...

Y'know, some of us did ask you to talk about your experiences and the behind-the-scenes stuff that went on during filming, taking 'you' as 'every AJ that's posted here so far'. Y'all shut up so fast, we'd swear Carson had just kissed you. That doesn't exactly make anyone likely to ask you or the others for an interview, because it feels like you're not willing, able, or contractually obligated to talk.

As far as being interested in the show and the people on it go -- that's a longer track.

Let's start with the show itself. It's been slow in here: I freely admit that. This is mostly because we're not seeing anything we haven't seen before. The three non-Adam AJ series have all played out to the exact same script. Model chosen. AJs come in. Model shocked. AJs do their level best. Model starts to warm to AJs. Hunks arrive. Hunks disrupt house life. Model starts to forget AJs exist. Model dons lots of makeup and goes undercover. AJs and models cut evenly until final two is reached. Hunk wins, for really low value of 'win'. Model and hunk break up two weeks later. Your crew is about halfway through the storyline and to date, we haven't seen one so-called plot twist that wasn't copied from a prior season, almost shot-for-shot. Do something original and you'll get our attention. As-is, the show's following has dropped off, and will continue to decrease for every iteration where nothing changes. As SilentJ noted, a lot of us watch to root for the underdog, but seeing the longshot come in last every time gets boring fast. If you can stand to keep coming back year after year for exactly the same result, you're either cheering for the hunks, a macochist, or a Cubs fan. Possibly the last two at the same time.

The people on the show -- for the most part, this is a site by the bashers, of the bashers, and for the bashers. We respect a few people, but it has to be earned, and no one's going to get universal acclaim. (Some forums have gay marriage, abortion, and the left/right schism to set them against each other. We have Charla and Rupert.) We will make fun of anyone. We don't even give free passes to our own. One of our nearest and dearest, or most feared and detested, made it through an entire season on FOX -- and one day, if he's very good, we may actually let him forget it for a whole minute. Right now, some of our denizens have applications in for Survivor and TAR, and if they make it, we'll cheer for them, throw a party, and then rip them into a very large number of very small pieces. It's what we do.

Now: we respect you for showing up, because that takes some courage. We're even willing to take you at your word for your identity. (Try showing up at Survivor Sucks without a note signed by the president of NBC and see how far you get.) But we're not going to fall in love with you on first site. You haven't done much here to distinguish yourself -- and let's face it: you have done almost exactly nothing on the show to stand out. Feel free to blame the editing if you like, but the fact remains that we've barely heard from you in airtime, and you haven't said all that much here either.

The more you put yourself on the line -- both in the present and the past -- the more we'll respect you. Some of us will probably start to like you, and you'll have a solid place here that'll last well beyond the show's duration.

But so far, you've been very quiet, waiting for us to make the first move.

It doesn't work with us.

It didn't worth with Anna, either.

"WARNING"
Posted by Bebo on 07-14-05 at 01:26 PM
There's a difference between bashing a contestant on a reality show and bashing a fellow poster. You've crossed the line and are going after Nathan the poster - please stop.

"RE: WARNING"
Posted by Estee on 07-14-05 at 01:53 PM
Understood. I think I see the border markings before that last line: I'll grab my passport and head back.

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 07-14-05 at 03:47 PM
Bebo.
I read your comment on 'fellow poster bashing' and although to some extent, I'm guilty of the same (ie. retaliation of a sort) I hope that my post, along with my presence is allowed to remain.

This is in fact Nathan from the show and although I don't mind criticism in terms of 'my character' on the show, I had to defend my character here... in the real world.

I just wanted to appologize for that.

Posted by Bebo on 07-14-05 at 04:10 PM
Nathan,

Please take a moment to read our guidelines. We expect everyone - even contestants - to abide by these guidelines.

This is what I tried to give you a friendly .psst about when you first started posting. On these forums, your on-air persona is fair game, and for some folks, that would be tough to have to face the bashing and not be able to fight back.

But we are glad to have you here, and glad that you can share what you can. Just stay within the guidelines from now on, and everything will be fine.

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 07-14-05 at 04:16 PM
Bebo.
Understood. I'll be good from now on I swear
When all is said and done, I'll be back to offer my opinions.

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 07-14-05 at 03:44 PM
First: "First: the Shift keys should be on the lower right and left of your keyboard. The taser charge normally carried through them has probably been disabled. Try it out."

If you're going to make note of my lack of CAPITAL letters in my post, you should be sure to spell check yours prior to posting.
Cases in point:
1. "macochist" Though I realize that it may have just been a slip of the finger since both letters are in close proximity to one another.
2. "on first site."

Second: "some of us did ask you to talk about your experiences... Y'all shut up so fast."

There was a viable reason for this of course. We were notified by the producers at NBC that we could no longer post on boards due to destroying the 'reality/integrity' of the show for its viewers. I would have been more than happy to stay and chat about the show but I signed a contract... and even now I'm breaking the rules but I'll deal with the consequences later I'm sure.

Third (which will probably consist of all sorts of different issues relating to the rest of your post):
As far as what the show consists of... and the fact that your board has been slow due to nothing happening on the show that you haven't seen before... I can't help that. The producers are responsible for producing... the 'cast' on the show is responsible for content and for doing what they feel is their right/need to do.

I appreciate the fact that you can respect me for showing up when it is abundantly clear that this board is not necessarily intended as a place to give praise to the members of the show but is more a place for people to criticize and 'bash' as you so clearly put it. I will be honest and say that it took no amount of courage on my part to show up and say hello.

As far as being willing to accept my word when it comes to identity issues, again, I appreciate that. The internet doesn't tend to provide viable ways of 'proving ones existence' as there is never any physical proof... but rest assured, I am who I claim to be.

"You haven't done much here to distinguish yourself -- and let's face it: you have done almost exactly nothing on the show to stand out... The more you put yourself on the line -- both in the present and the past -- the more we'll respect you."

I am who I am. I am not out to make a name for myself. My intentions for going on the show may be different than those of many reality show contestants (I'm not sure) but either way, what you see is what you get.

Lastly, if putting myself on the line is my only means of earning your respect, I would consider this the end of the road. There is more to life than making a fool out of yourself or doing things which go against what you believe merely for the sake of gaining the respect of strangers. I am better than that and although they may not frequent this board, I'm quite positive there are others out there who would agree with me.

Enjoy the rest of the show (for whatever reason that may be).
Maybe when all is said and done, I'll return and we can continue this.

In the end, I appreciate YOUR courage in responding in the way that you did. I just hope that this discourse won't jade your opinion of me any more than it already has.

Posted by mmm_link on 07-14-05 at 03:57 PM
I, for one, am glad that you are writing and breaking all contract rules. I hope you will continue to post after the show is over. Some reality show contestants, like those on the real gilligan's island, pretty much stopped when the show ended. I have one question, everyone should have known about AJ1, AJ2 and AJ3 and the outcomes. Were you really acting knowing this was just entertainment and maybe get some easy lip time with Anna or were you actually interested in her knowing she is probably just a model wantabee willing to step on anyone in order to advance her career?

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 07-14-05 at 04:17 PM
Can I come back to this question when the show has ended?
I tried to think of a 'political' way to answer and have nothing...

Posted by mmm_link on 07-15-05 at 08:52 AM
Sure. My take is ham it up for the cameras knowing full well that after the cameras stop, Miss. Anna will be off on her next gig (considering her long list of bit modeling roles and TV walk ons from her website). Adam and Brian made out great with the women after their series ended so that is REALLY the ultimate goal. And maybe be asked back for Average Jane II.

Posted by Estee on 07-16-05 at 05:38 PM
2. "on first site."

Me and J.K. Rowling. I had a hard time believing that slipped into ten million copies -- and then I found the fug rolling in. Typoes breed best in the dark.

Posted by motormouth on 07-13-05 at 03:35 AM
Umm, I have no idea whether it was ok to link your interview here or not, but I did read it and enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Posted by BlueLies on 07-13-05 at 12:10 PM
LAST EDITED ON 07-14-05 AT 11:49 AM (EST)

Thanks for the link, great interview. I laughed a few times.

Edited to add:

The hunks boycotting Sloppy Joes was new, and the cheating sequence in next week's ep is new.

"at least it still feels like home."

Posted by mmm_link on 07-14-05 at 02:56 PM
Wasn't that cheating thing in some other reality show??? Like that lie detector show that went no-where?

"mmm_link:"
Posted by BlueLies on 07-14-05 at 08:10 PM
I think that was "Who wants to Marry my Dad" ?

I think the working title was, "I lost a bet" or "Who Wants to relieve me of my extranneous relatives."

Just type in realityshack.com in your browser, his interview was listed on the front page at last I checked.

Posted by mmm_link on 07-14-05 at 02:57 PM
LAST EDITED ON 07-15-05 AT 08:53 AM (EST)

Hey, somebody erased the interview link. Dang, now I'm interested in reading it.

...found it, thanks.

Posted by DonnaLynn on 07-15-05 at 10:38 AM
Nathan, a bunch of us are glad you're here, but some people have such bad self-esteem that the only way they feel better is to rip into others.

We all understand that you can't say a whole lot and will patiently wait until AJ is over when you can hopefully spill the beans...

Oh, don't let some of these people get to you. Sometimes what they want is a reaction. At times it's best to just IGNORE!

--Donna :~)

"WARNING"
Posted by Bebo on 07-15-05 at 10:50 AM
DonnaLynn, bashing other posters is not allowed. Couching it in a general critical statement like you did is still bashing.

Posted by DonnaLynn on 07-15-05 at 02:00 PM
Sorry... I figured since I wasn't singling anyone out it was ok... Now that my fingers have been smacked, I'll play nice...

Posted by mmm_link on 07-15-05 at 02:21 PM
Can we bash ourselves?

Posted by Estee on 07-15-05 at 02:31 PM
Sounds like an OT thread in the making. We should probably try to avoid summarizing ourselves, though. The sign-up thread would be kind of embarassing.

Posted by damodci on 07-16-05 at 01:40 AM
I can't resist sticking my face into this hornet's nest. Here's an eliminated Joe's interview link (Sorry in advance for posting a competing site. Like Nathan, I would have obliged if someone had contacted me.) Oh, and good interview, Nathan. Hope all is well!

http://www.realitytvmagazine.com/blog/2005/07/an_interview_wi.html

Enjoy! Or don't!

D.

"Hell, Yeah, Nathan, you got the girl and the great new look!"
Posted by RealityMom on 07-28-05 at 01:10 AM
LAST EDITED ON 07-28-05 AT 01:58 AM (EST)

Congratulations, Nathan,
I've always loved Hostess Cupcakes and you certainly won this Mom over. I hope your friendship with Anna continues to grow and goes in whatever direction you hope for.
Now.....can you answer some questions, please?
1. Did you all know about the possibility of make-overs before you signed on to do the show?
2. Did you ask Anna why she eliminated you originally and if yes, will you share her reason with us?
3. Did the producers have any input on who Anna kept and who she eliminated?
4. Was Carson the way he seemed or was it the editing?
5. Overall, how accurate a portrayal did the show do of each of the contestants?

Thanks so much for any insights you can give us and especially for visiting this site. Good wishes to you.

A Cyggy Siggy

"RE: Hell, Yeah, Nathan, you got the girl and the great new look!"
Posted by Mister_Q on 07-28-05 at 04:48 PM
Mister_Q observes that suit has been filed today against Average Joe related to their use of "make-overs" on the series. For that reason it would certainly be ill advised for Nathan or any of the other participants to make any comment on that subject.

Posted by DonnaLynn on 07-28-05 at 05:12 PM
>Mister_Q observes that suit has been
>filed today against Average Joe
>related to their use of
>"make-overs" on the series. For
>that reason it would certainly
>be ill advised for Nathan
>or any of the other
>participants to make any comment
>on that subject.

Anyone wanna make bets that "MisterQ" is a producer of AJ????

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 07-29-05 at 01:41 PM
Hey dad.

Posted by mmm_link on 07-29-05 at 02:30 PM
Mr. Q sounds a whole lot like Disco Stu (from Simpsons).

Posted by Wacko Jacko on 07-29-05 at 02:34 PM
Your interview said that the thing with the Dolphin was your favorite moment. That's not true is it?

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 07-29-05 at 03:41 PM
When that interview was done... the show was not yet over so as not to spoil anything for the viewers, I was only allowed to mention a 'favorite moment' which had already taken place on the show.

There were SO many moments during that experience that I will forever hold dear. So many amazing conversations, so many laughs, so many thoughts that ran through my head and changed me for the better, so many great views, so many great everything.

To be honest... I think my favorite moment from the show is just this... being able to talk with people who were interested in the show and having an amazing response from the public. I hate to sound 'cliche' but "I am just one man" and in my opinion, I did nothing worthy of praise... but if through my actions, people feel the desire to write me and thank me for making them feel better about themselves... goes on my list of 'favorite moments.'

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 07-29-05 at 03:33 PM
Mr. Q really IS my dad! haha. He mentioned to me the other day that there was a lawsuit now pending between NBC and some of the previous AJ's and he's doing his best to look out for me by cautioning me not to get into it.

hehe. much love to the family!

Posted by RealityMom on 07-29-05 at 02:36 PM
Hi, Nathan,
Will Dad let you tell if Anna told you why you were eliminated originally? Also, were you more afraid the second time because of the potential of being eliminated (and hurt) again. If you can't answer, no problem, you've been great getting back to everyone. Thanks again. Your typing fingers are getting a real workout!

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 07-29-05 at 03:38 PM
hah! Mr. Q really IS my father! I have no idea what he's doing looking at message boards while at work... he's going to get in trouuuuuuuuble. oooOOoooOh.

As for your question. From what I know from talking with Anna and from what I already felt after the elimination... she just didn't know anything about me. I had made it as far as I had because I wasn't pushing her or being too overbearing but at the same time, I wasn't being agressive AT ALL. She is an intelligent girl and although the eliminations WERE difficult for her, she knew what she was doing and I wouldn't ever fault her for that.

As for being afraid... no. I wasn't ever really 'afraid' when it came time for the eliminations. Just by being out there and being a part of the show, I had accomplished what I set out to from the beginning so I would have been okay with leaving the first week as I KNEW that when all was said and done, everyone from the show would remain in touch so I would have lost nothing but air time... and air time was never a concern of mine.

Posted by mmm_link on 07-29-05 at 04:12 PM
You mentioned a reunion Average Joe in the future? Do you know when? Have you and Anna been approached for some other reality shows similar to Rob and Amber on Survivor and the Amazing Race? Or maybe the two of you can pitch something to the NBC producers.

Posted by Wacko Jacko on 07-29-05 at 04:29 PM
You and Anna on the Amazing Race would be great, but being on a different network might be hard to swing I guess.

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 07-29-05 at 04:59 PM
Yeah. It would be fun to get together again. Not for the sake of furthering a relationship but just to be back in that 'element' again.

Although I can see how many 'reality tv contestants' become addicted to the idea of being on these shows, I would imagine I'm done for a little while. There's so much OTHER stuff that I'm working on right now, including a relationship of my own.

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 07-29-05 at 04:58 PM
The reunion I spoke of was a 'private party' sort of thing. All of the Joes from the show want to get together in New York to spend some time without cameras in our faces.

As Jason (from this season) put it... "I don't want to f*cking hear the words 'Average Joe' when we get together."

It would be a chance for all of us to better get to know each other after all is said and done.

Though... I would LOVE it if NBC (or some other channel for that matter) wanted to get all of the people from this season or ALL of the seasons together for a Q+A session with the public. I think it would be a great opportunity to dispel some of the rumors and the misconceptions about the show.

As for other shows... nope. At least -I- haven't heard anything about any new shows. I know that Dante is doing a lot with the notoriety that he received from the show and there are a few others of us that are making the best of this opportunity. The rest of the guys have gone back to their 'real lives' and are pursuing those things which they put off to be on the show.

Posted by LawSchool on 07-29-05 at 05:46 PM
I don't recall being such a potty mouth...

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 07-29-05 at 06:08 PM
Is that slander? Libel?
sorry 'bout that. Maybe I'm just the potty mouth and when people speak, I toss in things like the f-bomb?!

aye.
Glad to see you're back. I will say... there are a LOT of people both here and elsewhere on the internet who want to know what you and the rest of the guys have been up to since the show ended last year.

Posted by woiwod on 07-29-05 at 06:22 PM
Hi Nathan,
Sure is nice of you to answer all of our questions. Hope you don't mind answering a couple more??
You said that you now have a girlfriend, is it serious. Looks good on you. Does Anna have someone special in her life, I sure hope so after all she has been through? Last, but not least, is Dante really dating Paris Hilton? If not is he dating anyone special?
Thanks

Posted by ntbgirl on 07-29-05 at 08:10 PM
Dante is not dating Paris Hitlon. Paris the Heiress is engaged to Paris the Heir.

Posted by LawSchool on 07-29-05 at 08:34 PM
LAST EDITED ON 07-29-05 AT 08:41 PM (EST)

I can promise you, if Dante is dating anyone, she's special.

Slander is spoken, libel is written. You will be hearing from my attorney, namely myself once I graduate. And I'm not the one who's back - I never left.

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 07-30-05 at 12:24 PM
I've got a few years to save up and prepare for the lawsuit then eh?? ;)

And uh... yeah. I guess you really were here all along.
I'm trying to get everyone to post a "What I've Been Doing With My Life" as it seems people are interested

get on it...

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 07-30-05 at 12:22 PM
I don't mind answering questions. I think it's important to the overall experience (both for myself and people who watched the show).

As for my relationship. I'm glad with the way things are going. It's been difficult obviously due to the outcome of the show and the fact that I haven't been able to talk to her about it until now but we are taking things one day at a time and she is more supportive than I could ever ask for.

As for Anna... you'll have to ask her ;) Although we are really good friends, part of that responsibility is to not share parts of each others lives that we may want to keep private. sorry!

As for Dante.. I believe he's more focused on his career right now than meeting women (although I'm sure with his new band Dante and the Infernos on the up-and-up... he's meeting tons of new women!) hehe.