URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID45
Thread Number: 574
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Whither the Newsmagazine?"

Posted by Cygnus X1 on 05-01-06 at 09:18 AM
If this article can be believed, the days of PrimeTime Live and Dateline NBC are numbered. I know I don't watch them much.

Network Newsmagazines Struggle To Survive

And are reality shows to blame?

The point was so important that Diane Sawyer was compelled to make it twice during a "Primetime" episode on battling stepfamilies.

"You want reality TV?" she asked. "Tonight, you get it. Starting now."

The appeal couldn't be any more plain, or plaintive. Broadcast network newsmagazines are at a low ebb - with likely even fewer hours on the air next season - and the popularity of reality television is chiefly to blame.

(...)

Sawyer's April 21 "Primetime" featured a stepfamily so abusive it seemed like "Supernanny" spun out of control, with tape of a father punching his teenage daughter. ABC was criticized for not alerting authorities where the family lives in upstate New York about the potentially dangerous behavior.

Newsmagazines have "morphed into something that is farther away from news and much closer to entertainment," said Joe Foote, acting dean of the University of Oklahoma's journalism school. "They're a long way from their roots."

Seems like the venerable "60 Minutes" is safe.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Whither the Newsmagazine?"
Posted by zipperhead on 05-02-06 at 04:33 PM
If this article can be believed, the days of PrimeTime Live and Dateline NBC are numbered.

Thank GOD! I am so sick of the shock and awe campaigns that these programs use to batter us into fearful submission - "Watch us or suffer the consequences!".

None of them were anywhere close to containing actual journalism.