URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID2
Thread Number: 5653
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"SURVIVOR KATIE"

Posted by pmspml5 on 01-13-05 at 10:42 AM

Born and raised in Merced, California, Katie Gallagher traveled to Long Branch, New Jersey to attend Monmouth University. She graduated magna cum laude with a Bachelor of Arts degree in communication in radio and television. She was formerly employed as a camp counselor for at-risk children, outdoor education instructor (geology) and sales representative. She is currently an advertising executive in radio sales.

Gallagher describes herself as optimistic, spontaneous, sarcastic, full of opinions and hilarious. Her favorite hobbies include camping, gardening, performing in local musical theater productions and shopping at vintage stores. She is most proud of traveling across country with nothing but a gas card.

Currently single, Gallagher resides in Merced, California with her cat, Norman. Her birth date is May 28, 1975

Colors: Green, blue
Scents: Coconut, Prescriptives Calyx, pine tree
Flowers: Plumeria, gardenia
Board Games: Cranium, Scrabble
Video Games: Ms. Pac-Man
Sports to Play: Softball, bowling
Sports Teams: San Diego Chargers
Outdoor Activities: Camping, hiking, barbecuing, swimming, going to the beach
TV Shows: SURVIVOR, American Justice, City Confidential, Saturday Night Live
Movies: Goonies, Sixteen Candles
Actors: Tom Hanks, Kevin Spacey, Matthew McConaughey
Actresses: Julia Roberts, Charlize Theron, Meryl Streep, Drew Barrymore
Music: Alternative and hair bands from the 80s
Magazines: Any tabloids, Shape, InStyle
Books/Authors: Good in Bed (Jennifer Wiener)
Cereals: Smart Start, Honey Nut Cheerios
Fruits: Orange, mango, pineapple
Snack Foods: Doritos
Cookies: Chocolate chip
Candy Bars: Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
Alcoholic Drinks: Coors Light, Wyder's Pear Cider
Non-Alcoholic: Diet Coke, lemonade

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: SURVIVOR KATIE"
Posted by cinmari on 01-14-05 at 04:03 PM
Hi, I'm a new poster, but long-time lurker. I myself am from Merced, and found this article in the paper today. I also went to school with Katie, but am a year ahead. I only know of her around town anyhoo... I'm babbling.. here is a copy of the article... sorry it's long

Merced Survivor

Native Katie Gallagher joins cast of reality show

CBS' "Survivor" includes Merced native Katie Gallagher, third from left in front row.

By Amelia Neufeld
ANEUFELD@MERCEDSUN-STAR.COM
Last Updated: January 14, 2005, 06:38:08 AM PST

A Merced woman will be one of the 20 castaways who try to outwit, outplay and outlast each other to win the $1 million prize on the 10th edition of CBS' "Survivor," this season set on the Pacific island of Palau, the network announced Thursday.

Katie Gallagher, an advertising executive for Radio Merced, would not comment Thursday about the experience, citing a confidentiality agreement with the network.

"I can't say a word," said the 29-year-old Merced native. "Sorry. I want to."

Gallagher was selected after auditioning at an open casting call held last summer at Fashion Fair Mall in Fresno.

The "Palau" cast just might be the most diverse "Survivor" tribe yet. The oldest contestant is 57; the youngest is 21. The cast includes a bartender from New Orleans, a firefighter from New York, a dolphin trainer from Florida and a Las Vegas showgirl.

Potential voting blocs might include the "lawyer alliance" (three contestants are lawyers), the "California alliance" (four hail from the Golden State), or maybe even the "my-first-name-has-double-letters alliance" (Ashlee, Gregg, Bobby, Jennifer, Willard and Jeff).

Lori Rossi, a friend of Gallagher's who did not sign a confidentiality agreement, said that Gallagher returned to Merced a week before Christmas after having been gone for a couple of months.

"She told everyone she was going on vacation," Rossi, 30, said. "Those of us who have known Katie for a long time, for her to go on vacation or travel was not unusual. We were like, 'OK.'"

When Gallagher returned, Rossi said she did not notice much physical change in her friend's appearance.

"I can't say she looks super different," she said. "She's always been fit."

Rossi, whose sister is Gallagher's roommate, said she and Gallagher became friends in the fourth grade, when Gallagher attended Chenoweth Elementary School in Merced and Rossi attended Our Lady of Mercy. Later, the two attended Tenaya Middle School together.

Rossi said Gallagher has always had a flair for the dramatic.

"Ever since she was little, she's been a performer," she said. "She is hysterical... She will say things and your stomach will hurt from laughing."

And if Gallagher wins the $1 million prize?

"She'd probably buy all her closest friends a round of drinks," Rossi said. "And then she'd go travel."

Gallagher was born in Merced and attended Chenoweth Elementary and Tenaya Middle schools. She went to Merced High for a year before moving with her family to Irvine, in Southern California.

In 1993, she graduated from Irvine's Woodbridge High School and then went to Monmouth University in New Jersey, earning magna cum laude honors in 2001 with a communications degree in radio and television.

She previously worked as a camp counselor for at-risk children, outdoor education instructor and sales representative.

The official "Survivor" Web site lists her hobbies as camping, gardening, performing in local musical theater productions and shopping at vintage stores.

On the site, she describes her personality as: "optimistic, spontaneous, sarcastic, full of opinions and hilarious."

This June, Gallagher played Bebe in Playhouse Merced's production of "A Chorus Line."

Jerry Deal, Playhouse Merced's marketing and development director, said he met Gallagher in 2003. He said their first meeting set the tone for their friendship.

"I met her at a bar in town," he said. "She came over and started screaming in my ear, 'I want to know you! Who are you?' I said, 'OK, this is a crazy person.' But we ended up getting to know each other and she has become on of my very good friends. She is meant to entertain."

The new season of "Survivor" premieres Feb. 17 at 8 p.m. on CBS.

The Modesto Bee and Associated Press contributed to this report.

"Not a good sign"
Posted by FesterFan1 on 01-14-05 at 04:08 PM
From the article:

"When Gallagher returned, Rossi said she did not notice much physical change in her friend's appearance.

'I can't say she looks super different,' she said. 'She's always been fit.'"

They're all fit this year, yet we have fairly significant weight loss spoilers for Stephenie, Ibrehim, and Gregg. It's looking like Katie might be an early juror at best.

Fester

"RE: Not a good sign"
Posted by Flowerpower on 01-15-05 at 10:01 AM
...hmmm, to me Katie looked a bit chunky. At first I thought that she may have tried to gain weight before coming on as she seemed much larger than the confirmator pics of her. So, I am wondering if she gained a substantial amount of weight before beginning the game, and then during the game lost that weight, she may have come back looking as she originally had to her friend???? Don't know if I am over analyzing this or not...

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 01-15-05 at 02:35 PM
Hmmm, I'd have to look at the Early Show promo again and see how she looks in comparison to her pics but as we all know, pics can lie!

I agree it sounds more like she doesn't go really far into the game, but here's another snippet from the above interview:

"I can't say a word," said the 29-year-old Merced native. "Sorry. I want to."

This tells me that she did reasonably well and enjoyed her experience, at least made the jury. If she was an early boot and/or had a bitter booting experience, would she say "I want to?"

Scratch and sniff

Posted by biancaxxx on 01-16-05 at 04:38 AM
That's true.

How much could a first boot possibly have to say anyway? Obviously, not much, if their experience was a short one.

"RE: SURVIVOR KATIE"
Posted by Scarlett O Hara on 01-16-05 at 10:46 AM
I can't get past the "Jenna-look" of this Survivor. Also, I noticed when reading the other bios that she is one of two Monmouth College graduates -- didn't Stephanie go there too?