URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID9
Thread Number: 561
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Reality TV vs Actual Reality"

Posted by mamarizzo on 08-25-04 at 04:01 AM
I noticed that in several threads that people brought up the racial issue in the house as opposed to "real" life. I know that this is more of a bash than a spoil but I thought I would add to it.

I would like to point out some other differences, which affects some of my interest in the show.

1. The "average" woman in US is a size 12. If the house followed this rule half of house would be greater than size 12. I don't think any of the female HGs in any of the houses have reached a size 12, let alone one being over it.

2. A good amount of the population is in the "baby-boomer" group, which is now mostly over 50. If these shows reflected reality, then about 40% of the guests would be over 50. Just think if some one "old" was in there. They could say to some of these whiners Grow Up and really mean it.

3. A lot of the guys seem to be "pretty boys" with more interest in their bodies and hair than I think most men have.

4. A good number of the guys who are gay fall into a stereotype of gays. Most of the gay men that I've known do not talk or act like Will and others. In fact, I knew a gay black man, who happened to be named Marvin BTW, and he talked and acted much more like Marvin than like Will. His sense of humor was much stronger but not quite as cutting as Marvin's is.

What all of this means is that my desire to see who wins swings from week to week because I don't really see anyone in the BB house who is like me or my friends. I watch more for how the little mice loose their minds and I would much more like BB to mess with said minds than I might otherwise because I don't see these mice as "regular people."

That may be why outsiders like Nokomis and CB stand out as being so different. In a house that really reflected reality, they might not. After all, I know many people who are as clumsy and gauky as CB and who are obviously dyslexic like him too. Some of these people are even Senators and others held in high esteem. And people who hold strange ideas (like UFOs, aliens, paranormal, etc.) are also out in real world.

Just some late night thoughts pulling together random strands of previous threads.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"Moved"
Posted by Bebo on 08-25-04 at 08:25 AM
...from Spoilers to Bashers.

"RE: Reality TV vs Actual Reality"
Posted by Just Plain Bill on 08-25-04 at 09:41 AM
You have to keep in mind that television execs and show producers believe that their viewing public (us) are brain-dead morons incapable of detecting or understanding subtleties. Hence, the need to bash us in the head with stereotypes and broad, farcical characters. This is why they've gone toward recruiting participants directly rather than relying on the 'open audition' process.

Note how many cast members across the reality shows have reached fairly late rounds for multiple shows. The majority of the people we see do rounds of auditions just like actors seeking 'regular' roles. Wasn't it Will who would have been in Amazing Race but his mother didn't want to do it?

One of the things my wife and I noted from the last two BB5 broadcasts is that the HGs have apparently gotten some direction on how to behave, i.e., over the top reactions. How many men do you know that jump up and down and clap their hands in joy of anticipation prior to competing in an event? Drew and CB are mastering this technique and even someone as blase` as Nakomis has gotten the word.

Posted by Menses on 08-25-04 at 07:25 PM
This is not reality Tv...Its a soap opera and I watch it with the same kind of amusement. Shades of the Blair Witch which was filmed like it was real but obviously fake...I heard someone say last week that the only real reality TV there is the Olympics...

Posted by vixie on 08-26-04 at 12:26 PM
Hey, mama, excellent observations AND again, I say, let's have a baby boomers edition. Warts and all. I think, also, that you couldn't be more correct about CB and Nakomis standing out because they are perhaps the closest to real people in the house. Has nothing to do with likability, but I do know actual people just like them.