URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID58
Thread Number: 558
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"It's Official. Average Joe 4 Scheduled for June, 2005!!"

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 04-28-05 at 05:26 PM
LAST EDITED ON 04-28-05 AT 06:01 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 04-28-05 AT 05:30 PM (EST)

That's right. The new season of Average Joe, titled "The Joes Strike Back" is scheduled to begin on June 28, 2005 @ 8pm on NBC. How do I know this you ask?

... because I'm one of the 'Average Joes' on the upcoming season.

I received a phone call from NBC this morning affirming the release date of the new season and I feel it's my duty as a cast member to spread the word.

Though I can't give any information on the upcoming show, I can say... you will NOT want to miss this season.

www.variety.com had this to say about it.
"On June 28 at 8 p.m., NBC premieres "Average Joe 4: The Joes Strike Back." Latest incarnation of the dating skein is expected to have a twist, though the net isn't saying just yet what that is."

When I hear anything else, I'll be sure to post it here or in my blog.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: It's Official. Average Joe 4 Scheduled for June, 2005!!"
Posted by ladro on 04-29-05 at 08:18 PM
Based on your picture on the Blog, I think one can reasonabally conclude that the "Plain Jane" concept (a group of plain looking women competing for a hot guy) was not pursued. It is cold on this board for DAWs. Get used to it now.

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 05-02-05 at 06:05 PM
ladro.
from what i know, NBC has put "Average Jane" on the 'waiting list.' i have no idea why they scrapped it this time around to be honest with you. when i was cast for the show, it was actually being cast under the title "Escape Your Life" and it wasn't until a week before i left for LA that i found out it was 'Average Joe.' i'm sure that they are still looking at doing Average Jane only because they did actually go through with the casting process.

as for being 'cold' on the board... that's okay.

Posted by Bebo on 05-02-05 at 09:32 PM
Welcome, Nathan!

As one of the mods around here, I think I have a different perspective. We've been lucky enough to have some other reality show contestants post here (and one even stuck around), and folks have been rather friendly.

That being said...these forums evolved from a site called Survivor Blows. And a lot of contestant bashing does happen around here. But we also try to make sure that posters feel free to express their opinions without being called names - and a lot of forums aren't like that.

I'm psyched you found us! If you can keep your sense of humor, you may even like us and stick around for awhile.

"If there was ever a time you wanted permission to run over a clown . . . ."

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 05-03-05 at 10:27 AM
bebo.
thanks for the info. as for 'contestant bashing'... to be honest, i expect there will be some of that. as i said in another post, i have ABSOLUTELY no idea how i will be portrayed by NBC when the show finally does air but whatever they decide will be my fate, i'll be okay with it.

my experience on the show was a good one. i set out to do what i wanted to. i met some great people. i experienced things i wouldn't normally have gotten the chance to experience and that's all that matters.

i'll definitely stick around because even i am curious how the public will perceive me (and my actions) on the show. this forum will provide me with a means of defending myself if need be and also just a place to better understand my relationships with the public.

so. yes. i'll be here. contestant bashing or not, you can expect to find new posts from me every so often.

thanks for the 'hello.'

-Nathan

Posted by Bebo on 05-03-05 at 01:12 PM
Part of the fun of having contestants posting on the forums is separating the character presented on the show from the person. We've had some posters who were total jerks on their show turn out to be quite charming on the forums.

Most of the folks who post around here can separate the two. We know you have very little control on what they will or won't show about you, and it's fun to get to see things from the perspective of someone who has the unedited perspective.

Posted by ladro on 05-05-05 at 01:02 AM
the bait and switch again. FYI the contestants in AJ1+2 were told the show they were going to be on was called "the life of the party". At what point did you learn that it was really AJ3? Did you (and the other joes) know of the history of Average Joe series? How many of the contestants quit after learning the truth?

Posted by Seana on 05-02-05 at 09:21 AM
Hi, Nathan!

Thanks for taking the time! I only dropped by this forum because I saw the new story on the front page. I'm glad I did. I hope you come by now and again with insights when the show is on.

DH and I liked the first 3 installments of the series, so we're looking forward to the 4th.

Maybe I'll ask to do a summary.

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 05-02-05 at 06:03 PM
Seana,

I'm more than glad to take the time to drop by the forum and leave an update. To be honest, some of it is 'shameless self promotion' on my part... this is set out to be a big opportunity for me to push my artwork (photography, illustration, writing etc) and also just to get my name out there. I'm not interested in (nor ever have been) in being an actor but there are things in my life that i hope to accomplish that i think the show may help me with.

Also, i think that after spending a lot of time reading blogs and forums from people like you (the ones that WATCH these shows), there is something to be said for MY experience. I feel responsible to share MY side of things because even now, i sit here and wonder what it is that NBC will do with the time that i spent on the show. how will it come out in post-editing? how will they make me look? will they expose my secrets? will they make things up about me? i don't know. i have NO idea what even -i- am going to see when the show airs... but i have my memories. i have MY experience and it's probably going to be very different from the hour-long episodes that they show on tv.

so. yes. this is a place for me to share with you my thoughts on things. so again. more than happy to stop by.

i'm hoping that i'll have an 'official' website up sometime soon where i can display some of my artwork and a blog but for right now, you can check out lumpstuff.com for my illustration work or my blog if you want to know what's going on in my life (not updated as often as it used to be).

so. yes. i'll be back. i'm sure when the show airs, you'll find me here every so often dropping in to see what people are saying and to leave some thoughts of my own.

help spread the word. tell everyone you know about the show and if you want to help me out... send 'em links to my site/blog etc.

thanks again.

and p.s. to be honest... when i was cast for the show... i'd never seen ANY of the previous seasons. i'd read about a few of them online but that's it... and i can honestly say... i've STILL never seen any of them.

hehe.

ciao!

"You can watch Nathan and I on AJ4 "
Posted by dantealighire on 05-09-05 at 01:01 AM
If your a big fan of Reality TV
I know that this season is going to the best one
It got to be really crazy on the show
with a new twist
This time the Joes stand up to the metro sexual revolution
were not going to take their crap
Make sure you watch you wont be sorry
Look for me
Dante Alighire

Posted by Arthur on 05-14-05 at 12:35 PM
I know I'm tuning in!

Arthur

Posted by LawSchool on 05-24-05 at 09:16 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-24-05 AT 09:17 PM (EST)

Is this the official "we're not as awful as they portray us" site? On the show, I'm guessing they'll make Nathan out to be a pretty nice guy - don't believe it for a second. Of course, I blew any chance I had at getting through this unscathed when they had me kissing the guns on the promo, so I'm beyond the point of being able to explain my way out of the portrayal, and the show hasn't even been on yet...

And you ain't kidding, Artie, there are more AJ4 posts on the net by Dante right now than everyone else combined.

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 05-25-05 at 02:41 PM
ahh this IS amusing! hah. i think this may very well be the best of all of the reality tv forums out there which is why so many of us AJ's are seemingly flocking to it. just out of curiosity little man, how did YOU find out about this place? (through Dante i'd imagine.)

and yes. dante is DEFINITELY posting all SORTS of stuff online. he's excited as i'm sure we all are. i'll be totally honest though and say that i've been having some pretty nasty anxiety attacks these last few days (moreso now that i found out it's being pushed ahead one week). this means we've all got three weeks to prepare ourselves for the insanity.

as for you laying some love on your guns... aint no thing. the ladies are gonna love it.

word. n'stuff.

"Holla at Law School!!!"
Posted by Arthur on 05-27-05 at 01:02 AM
Yo, yo, yo! LawSchool is in the hizzie. Fo' shizzle.

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 05-25-05 at 02:42 PM
haha. i still don't have cable television...
guess i should work on that eh?!

p.s. how you been arthur?? i heard you couldn't make it out to the press conference. hope you're okay old man. we'll be talking soon i'm sure.

Posted by Arthur on 05-27-05 at 00:50 AM
Nathan! Good to hear from you. I'll be fine. A few parts of my body are falling apart but I will soon get replacement parts and have the strength of ten men.

Posted by CastingInCalifornia on 05-25-05 at 00:54 AM
Ah...it seems you "Joes" are all over the web, its nice to see your faces again. Just wanted to wish you all the best. I hope you all shine. I know you are all good guys, so I hope no one is portrayed too harshly.

TO EVERYONE ELSE READING THIS:
Make sure to tune in. We picked a wonderful group to watch.

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 05-25-05 at 02:46 PM
haha. indeed, we "Joes" seem to be all OVER the web. Dante more than others but i believe he's just excited so we'll let him have his fun...

i appreciate the support and encouragement. i think the lot of us ("Joes") are excited and anxious to see what happens; not only the show itself but also the aftermath.

thanks again =)

Posted by CastingInCalifornia on 05-26-05 at 00:28 AM
LAST EDITED ON 05-26-05 AT 00:29 AM (EST)

Yes, of course Dante more than others, but would you expect any less from him? You guys aren't the only excited ones, Anna is very excited, as are the "hunks" (I think that's what NBC is calling them).

Posted by dantealighire on 05-28-05 at 03:20 AM
why shouldn't I be excited
if none of you guys are excited
there's something wrong with you
it's been almost a year
most of you thought it was a dream

Posted by Arthur on 05-27-05 at 00:51 AM
Hi, who is this? Pray tell!

Posted by Arthur on 05-27-05 at 00:52 AM
Too avoid confusion, who is CaliforniaCasting?

Thanks.

Posted by Seana on 05-26-05 at 09:45 AM
Well, well well! Looks like we have our very own Average Joe reunion right here on RealityTVWorld. What fun!

Welcome, Dante, Arthur, Law School and Casting, too. I'm still not going to ask any questions, because I'd like to watch without any pre-conceived notions. Of course, you make that difficult by being so personable. Stop it.

It looks like you all had a fun time and get along well. I've taken note of the new date for the premiere. (Thanks, Nathan!)

Thank-you all for posting!

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 05-27-05 at 09:51 AM
Seana.
It's amusing that we've all ended up here on RealityTVWorld. I'm quite sure there will be more of us "Joes" finding our way here over the next few weeks.

And i don't think i'm breaking my confidentiality contract here:
So as far as your comment on all of us being so 'personable' i will say this... it's all a lie (kidding of course). The reality of it is that when i met all of the "Joes" on the show, i found that NONE of them were 'average.' In each one of them was something which made them stand out. More and more i'm realizing that 'average' is a term that should be reserved for math class and not applied to humanity.

"I'm so far from average"
Posted by dantealighire on 05-28-05 at 03:18 AM
If i'm average who's normal?
its all about what's inside that matters
the name of the show is a title
its so much more then that
watch the show
and see what were all about

"RE: I'm so far from average"
Posted by Nathan Griffin on 05-28-05 at 09:02 AM
sounds to me like you're warming up for some public motivational speeches eh?! hehe.

"RE: I'm so far from average"
Posted by Clay Ellis on 05-30-05 at 11:23 PM
OK fellas,

I couldn't stay away anymore. I was reading all the posts and now I must reply. Has everyone checked out the website? It seems that Jason is running away with the scores. Anyone that averages over a 9 should be considered a "hunk." Don't you hate it when they type cast you? There is no way he is average. Can't wait to see the show! We all need to get together at some point again.

Clay

Posted by Seana on 05-31-05 at 09:54 AM
First off, welcome, Clay!

Now, pfft to the lot of you. It’s like having chocolate in the house. I know it’s there…

OK, I’ve got some questions for you all. You can answer them, or you can leave me in the dark, in accordance with my stated wishes not to have any information prior to the show being aired. I have no self-control. You’ll note I don’t keep chocolate at the office. I don’t think that these questions will strain your contracts to answer.

1. Did you get any details about how “Escape Your Life” was supposed to be? (i.e. How many lies/half-truths did they tell you?)

2. Nathan said he found out a week before filming the real name of the show. How many of you had already heard of it? Were you offended? (I ask because I remember Zach from the first season was a bit miffed to be considered “Average”.) Did anyone drop out?

3. What was the location?

4. Did you guys share the house for a while before Anna showed up? (In 2 previous seasons, the Joes lived together for a bit before filming, so they had some time to get to know each other.)

Thanks or in advance.

Posted by ShootingBlanks on 05-31-05 at 02:10 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-31-05 AT 02:11 PM (EST)

Hey, kids! - Average Matt here....

Just saw that the fellow "castmates" were chiming in, so I wanted to say hello. I never come to these boards, though, so you may not here from me too much....

Hi, Nate, Clay, Arthur, & Dante - good to hear from y'all again!....

--Hoffman

Posted by LawSchool on 05-31-05 at 03:33 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-31-05 AT 03:38 PM (EST)

What the deuce? Hi to you too, Matt... Damn, no love...

I won't answer questions 3 or 4, but the only details I got on Escape Your Life is that it was for people who wanted to take an exotic trip and adventure and win prizes. That was it, and they told me when the show would likely tape (which fit my schedule almost perfectly), so I gave it a shot.

They were ready to have me sign a contract and tried to get me to make my flight plans out to the taping when I finally told them to stop and that I wouldn't do anything until somebody gave me some more information. Finally they made it sound like I was getting super-special treatment and let me talk to the head casting guy who told me what the show was. I was really really really mad, as I had seen the first two seasons, and felt that 90% of the guys weren't average, but rather below average. Head casting guy convinced me that it wasn't as awful as I was making it sound, that they thought I was good-looking and smart (oh, Steve...), but my deficiency was my youth and the fact that I was still in school, hence no career (and my utter lack of physique - he never said that, but I'm adding it on myself). And they promised me the chance to win some really good prizes - I believe the words the girl who cast me said were "the prizes you would win if you stayed long enough would more than make up for any tuition you might lose." After consulting with career counselors at my school to make sure this wouldn't ruin my life, I decided to do it. I'm glad I did, and I personally believe the quality of guys was higher than in the past; I think we're mostly a bunch of average joes, some of whom are pretty successful at meeting women. With a couple of exceptions, we're mostly the type of guys you'd see anywhere, whereas in the past, I felt like they tried to find more loveable losers to endear themselves to the viewers.

Posted by ShootingBlanks on 05-31-05 at 03:35 PM
Jason! - what's up, my man!...

...didn't notice you on here, cuz of your nickname!

Looks like (judging by the website), you're America's hottest thing! - congrats!!!....

--Hoffman

Posted by Seana on 06-01-05 at 10:25 PM
> Damn, no love...

Gosh, I hope you're kidding. I had meant to convey my enthusiasm and that I'm not succeeding well in keeping it in check. I'm thrilled that you all are here and I'm looking forward to the show.

Thanks for answering my questions. I appreciate your candor. It's good you feel well-treated. But, um...who's Steve?

I've finally seen this gun-kissing. You're fine. Don't worry.

And...

Welcome, Matt!

Summary sign-up thread

"Welcome all Joes!"
Posted by tamarama on 05-31-05 at 03:30 PM
Wow, what fun this will be with all of you on the boards this season.

So we have Nathan, Dante, Arthur, Clay and....who's "Law School"?

"RE: Welcome all Joes!"
Posted by ShootingBlanks on 05-31-05 at 03:36 PM
"Law School" is Jason, and this is Matt...

Posted by LawSchool on 05-31-05 at 03:40 PM
Yeah, I went with "Law School" at the time because I wasn't 100% sure if we were supposed to be using actual names when I first came around. Good to hear from ya, Matt - what's with the "shootingblanks"?

Posted by ShootingBlanks on 05-31-05 at 03:43 PM
Oh - that's the name of my band, and basically the "pseudonym" that I use anytime I fill out stupid online stuff....

...btw/ you kissing your guns in the promo is classic. I had a good laugh at that!

Maybe you'll get your dream appearance on Conan now!....

Posted by tamarama on 05-31-05 at 04:51 PM
Excellent!! Thanks!!

It's good to put faces to the names. (even though you can't see our faces!!! heheheheh)

BTW, ok, now I get it Jason. Guns? *sigh* It's all good.

Looking forward to the premiere!