URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID44
Thread Number: 558
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Rate the "Packages""

Posted by Joyful on 03-18-04 at 01:16 PM
There is a lot of things cheesy about American Idol, but the cheesiest by far has got to be those "let's get to know the contestants" videos they play before they sing and the "tearful" goodbye ones they run when some one gets booted. So if we can't beat 'em I say let's join 'em. Rank your favorite or cheesiest and lamest "package” from the show (AI 1,2, or 3).

The best last night was Jasmine's. It was funny and it didn't look like she was taking herself too seriously.

The worst last night was Fantasia's. Everything looked fake.

The cheesiest was a toss up between Matt's and JPL. OMG If those two clips were on top of tortilla chips I'd be in Taco Bell!!!

Their first video was pretty lame as well. I don't think any video will beat the one where Big Rube was ironing Clay's hair and Kim walks off with Ryan.

My vote for the cheesiest of all time was last year’s package for the "Hercules" guy, when he was talking all prophetically while feeding the ducks. I was laughing my butt off on that one!

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Rate the "Packages""
Posted by Breezy on 03-18-04 at 01:32 PM
I think they're all cheesy. But Matt's was pretty bad with all the baby kissing and such.

Who's sister was the one that was from "earf"?

Posted by hunniebunns on 03-18-04 at 02:28 PM
Who's sister was the one that was from "earf"? <---Too Funny!

I think that'd be Jennifer's. It was a hoot! I think the cheesiest one by far had to be Matt's. Of course, he grates on every nerve in me.

Heather

"Thankyou hunniebunns"
Posted by Breezy on 03-18-04 at 02:33 PM
and welcome to the boards.

I am your SBAI drama queen and I come from the planet earf.

"RE: Thankyou hunniebunns"
Posted by Shereebie on 03-18-04 at 03:17 PM
Breezy says: I am your SBAI drama queen and I come from the planet earf.

ROTFLMAO! That's the funniest thing I've read all day!

Posted by Mizz Eve on 03-18-04 at 10:38 PM
It was Jennifer's sister LOL

Posted by gorgoniol on 03-18-04 at 05:19 PM
I think jasmine's is the most fun.
camille's pretty serious and so is john's.
matt's is cute , jpl's is fun.
I have forgotten about the rest. I guess, they are forgettable

Posted by opinionated on 03-18-04 at 01:49 PM
I have a tough time remembering the details of most of the packages, but anytime one of the contestants says they want to "touch people with their music" or "share their love of singing" I want to gag.

I actually didn't mind Fantasia's clip last night. Matt's was a little too, "I'm a sensitive guy and I want to have lots of babies and aren't I just a sweetie?" for me. Somebody's made me laugh (in a good way), but I can't remember whose it was. It was the person that kept cracking up. George, maybe?

Posted by frisky on 03-18-04 at 01:59 PM
Matt's package: the word "metro" comes to mind, although Pooh thought he was too hairy to be a metro. Bubble bath? Candles? After roughin it with the boys, he just needs a little me-time. Ew.

Card-carrying RBBRTFHLA/Sugar Ho Division
Non-Embezzling GAWKUR Treasurer

Posted by Breezy on 03-18-04 at 02:01 PM
LOL I forgot about the bubble bath....that was so funny. Yep Matt wins the worst package award.

Hi Frisky! I am your SBAI drama queen.

Posted by DoodleBug on 03-18-04 at 02:04 PM
The bubble bath was definitely a little over the top.

Snazzy new sigpic by Slice
I liked Amy's the best. If only I liked her singing too.

Posted by MTW1961 on 03-18-04 at 03:55 PM
I'm just glad they didn't skimp on the bubbles.

Handcrafted by RollDdice - thanks, RollD, you are the MAN!

Proud Member RBBRTFHLA/Sugar Ho Division/Gummi Candy Section

Posted by niteowl on 03-18-04 at 11:55 PM
the bubble bath scene also made me squeal "ewww" (and not in a good way) But now that i'm thinking back on it, doesn't anyone think that scene was supposed to be a little tongue in cheek?
(gross pun possibilities aside)

Posted by I_AM_HE on 03-18-04 at 03:34 PM
actually, Matt and Fantasia's made me like them more than I previously did.

I thought Jasmine, Diana, and Camile's were very fake and shallow, and it just reinforced my negative opinions of them.

I thought JPL's and George's were a little cheesy, but I just can't help liking JPL, and to a lesser extent, George as well. John's was as boring as he is.

Amy's was fun and quirky, Latoya's and Jennifer's were nice.

- RMMNW!!!

Posted by MTW1961 on 03-18-04 at 05:30 PM
I liked all the packages. It helps getting to know the contestants as people. Makes you care more about them. I think this personal approach is what sets AI above other talent shows, such as Star Search.

I thought George's description of his family's dancing habits was funny because they actually seemed so reserved, and I thought Diana seemed just like a typical teenager. Indeed, when she came out singing, she sounded so much more mature than in her package. I was floored.

John Steven's thing with his grandparents was endearing and likely garnered him many votes - maybe enough to keep him out fo the bottom three.

Handcrafted by RollDdice - thanks, RollD, you are the MAN!

Proud Member RBBRTFHLA/Sugar Ho Division/Gummi Candy Section

Posted by Karennz on 03-18-04 at 05:38 PM
I agree they were all pretty cheesy. I also agree that Matt's nearly made me gag! lol I wonder if these packages are produced by the same people who do the videos? I LIKE the videos -- they're fun and just a little bit twisted but not too much. Would love to see the packages done in the same production and editing style. But all the baby-kissing, hand-holding, strolling in the park/on the beach hoo-ha is a bit too much to handle.

Posted by Mizz Eve on 03-18-04 at 10:26 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-18-04 AT 10:29 PM (EST)

The BEST was:

George - His parents were hilarious. His mother does all of the talking while his father just sits there squinting from the glare of the sun in his eyes. They show all that footage of George goofing and his mother actually says that George gets all of his "talent and personality" from his mute father. LOL.

The Rest:

Latoya - Her mother is beautiful. Her husband and children seemed so nice.

JPL - I like his family. They're fun and not afraid of laughing at themselves. Nice people. I'd like them as neighbors.

Fantasia - She is a downhome girl, she's goofy and I like her a lot. I'm scared of her mother & grandmother cuz they'd peg me a sinner and try to save me.

Jasmine - She's a cute girl with nice parents, otherwise there wasn't much interesting.

Diana - Another uninteresting package other than a male teacher remarking in her "female presence."

Matt - He seems like a fun guy. Sadly, the bubble bath scene was as cheesy as his singing.

Jennifer - Blah.

John Stevens - He gets his style from his grandparents. His grandfather was funny, "of course in those days we listened to the radio" (nodding for emphasis).

Camille - Boring as her singing.

Amy - All she did was make faces at the camera. She looks just like her mother.

Leah - I'm glad her and her package are gone.