URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID2
Thread Number: 5522
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Winning Quote"

Posted by barrymore on 11-12-04 at 09:26 PM
Every year MB gives us a clue. Remember Richards famous quote about writing him the cheque.

Personally, I think he gave it to us this week with Leanne. After she won reward she said "I never win anything!" You heard it here first, I think that quote is key as she finally wins something (the million dollars).

Are there any other quotes that we can point to?

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Winning Quote"
Posted by smokedog on 11-13-04 at 03:55 AM
Doesn't this usually happen in the first episode, though?

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 11-13-04 at 05:32 AM
Not always.

Sean and Vecepia's conversation about a black person never winning took place in the 2nd or 3rd episode, and Jonny Fairplay's comment "I guarantee you Sandra won't get the million" happened a few episodes into the show.

©Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004
Scratch and sniff
Posted by RyrieRae on 11-13-04 at 11:07 AM
If the "first episode" rule applies, I'm still rooting for Chad with Brady's(?) comment about someone with a handicap winning in the F2. (This was later reiterated by Chris)

Posted by emydi on 11-15-04 at 01:21 PM
Me too, but I don't think it's going to happen now, after last week...

Courtesy of the Amazing Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004

"totally disagree"
Posted by shakes the clown on 11-13-04 at 11:31 AM
..I don't think LeAnn's quote was significant at all, not even close. Maybe if she said it after she LOST the RC or IC then it would be significant, but saying it after she just won something totally takes any significance away.

Also, the "key quote" usually occurs in the first couple of episodes. IMO, the contestant who has qualified the most for this distinction has been Chris. His comment in Ep1 about "playing this game the moment he hit the beach" is very similar to Brian Hendick's comments during S5 about this "being a business trip".

I thought the most interesting moment of this week's ep was when Chris voted for Sarge. Most people will say that the reason MB showed Chris' vote was to show his screwing over his friend, but I thought the key was not the vote, but what he said when he voted, something along the lines of "all I need is for them (the women) to open a door and I'm gonna burn every last one of them."

I've thought from ep1 that Chris is at least F3 and quotes like that from last night only made my convictions stronger in that regard. Look for Chris to weasel his way off the chopping block and help lead the demise of the female alliance.

As for LeAnn and Chad, I wouldn't be suprised if they are the next two boots considering the insignificant editing they are getting as characters on this show. Unless one of them is Vecepia they don't have the editing to be considered important factors in this game. In fact, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Chad will be the next boot and LeAnn will follow him in the following episode.

So don't take the simple fact that I think Shakes is godlike to mean that I think he isn't an ass. -Samiam 10/12/04

"RE: totally disagree"
Posted by dabo on 11-15-04 at 12:49 PM
Leann has turned out to be another Stephanie, an over the top persona who showed up on the island only to withdraw into herself. There's no story there to be told, don't expect one.

Chad still doesn't seem to have a good grasp of the game but he is still trying, there is a story there.

Posted by Brownroach on 11-15-04 at 01:08 PM
"all I need is for them (the women) to open a door and I'm gonna burn every last one of them."

Agree, shakes, this quote was the significant part -- Chris will get the opportunity to burn at least a couple of the women.

This puts Chris in the "safe" category for me this week, along with Leann (assuming Snewser is correct), Ami (Scout mentions booting her by name in the web promo), and Eliza (the useless tribemate that the misdirection says everyone decides to boot).

Also agree that Leann's quote came too late and in the wrong situation for it to mean anything.

Bridge for sale to highest bidder. Call 1-800-BRroach.

Posted by Bebo on 11-18-04 at 01:19 PM
>"all I need is for them
>(the women) to open a
>door and I'm gonna burn
>every last one of them."

>

Combine this with Rory's quote "If they vote me out, the Yasur women will get burned", and I see more reason to lean toward a Chris victory.

Please abide in my words, for my references speak of the truth that is within me.

Posted by VolcanicGlass on 11-15-04 at 01:29 PM
He. I always did like the clown.

From one of Sarge's interviews, as posted at MeSS:

Q: What do you think Chad and Chris need to do to stay in the game?

SM: I think Chad and Chris, to stay in the game, have to separate. They have to go with their own plan and get people to move around the female circle. They cannot go to people together, because there’s no way that the women are gonna allow 2 men to be together in the final 4, I don’t think, okay?

Posted by Brownroach on 11-15-04 at 05:26 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-15-04 AT 05:27 PM (EST)

Interesting that Sarge talks *cough*hypothetically, of course*cough* about Chad and Chris separating. I wonder if Chris will end up voting for Chad this week if Chad is the women's target and Chris isn't sure his new alliance is solid.

"Irony alert!?"
Posted by aethelstan on 11-15-04 at 05:31 PM
That could bring irony to a whole new level.

Imagine Chris and 6 women being the Final 7. Couple this with Chris' statement that he can "outwit guys but not women since they are as thick as thieves" (paraphrase). Now, imagine, that he makes it all the way to F2, outwitting and outlasting every one of the women. Irony indeed.

©Forged by RollDdice.

"RE: Agree"
Posted by MetalChick on 11-15-04 at 11:41 PM
Not only that, but Chris was shown twice last episode saying "It's not over, yet". Chris is likely to go far, IMO

"RE: Irony alert!?"
Posted by DRONES on 11-16-04 at 01:27 AM
LAST EDITED ON 11-16-04 AT 03:04 AM (EST)

That's why I'm really leaning towards a Chad boot this week. Chris's quote seems to stand the test of time while others fall by the wayside.
DRONES

Posted by braveheart on 11-16-04 at 02:53 PM
I agree with you Shakes. It was in the first episode that Chris couldn't stay on the balance beam and blew the challenge for the men. He almost got the boot.

So JP might say something like, "How does it feel to be in the final 2 when you were almost booted in the first episode?"

Posted by kingfish on 11-13-04 at 12:42 PM
Agree with Shakes, She just won (RC). Deflates the statement. But who knows, if she wins, it will become, perforce, THE TELLING QUOTE.

In this quest (looking for the QUOTE) we have quite a number of examples from which to choose, and by multiple survivors, Ami's second to no man quote still sticks with me, and several from Chris alone. So whoever wins will probably have a quote that can, in hindsight, be THE TELLING QUOTE.

Rich's quote was the first, and has its place in the annuls of all time quotes, but the very best, to me, was Robb's quote in A$$, "I'll win the money and get the girl. What's wrong with that?" (or something like that, I'm probably paraphrasing. and I'm not going to attempt to write Robb-ese).

Because this actually foreshadowed the top TWO, and that he would win the money whether or not he got first, and what would happen for the top two after the A$$ was over. They may or not be a permanent pair, but he did get the girl. And at least some money.

Posted by cuon10 on 11-14-04 at 09:59 PM
Twila has made several different quotes. She said "she was in it to win." She would cut their throats before they got around to cutting hers." This is a game and we're all in it to play."

But there have also been quotes made by others in regards to Twila. Chris said, "Twila is too stubborn to qive in."
Sarge said,"I'd go side by side with Twila, she is as good a person as they come."
Plus, some of them made fun of her when she was originally on the show. Some of those are now gone. Not Twila.

"Ami"
Posted by Cathy the Canadian on 11-15-04 at 11:28 PM
How about a few episodes back, when Jiffy asked Ami if she expected to get this far, and instead of the standard "no, I always feel vulnerable" crap, she said, "yes, I did."

"Huh?????????"
Posted by shakes the clown on 11-15-04 at 11:38 PM
>How about a few episodes back,
>when Jiffy asked Ami if
>she expected to get this
>far, and instead of the
>standard "no, I always feel
>vulnerable" crap, she said, "yes,
>I did."

...how does that mean anything? That just shows her character.

The "key" to the key quote is that it really stands out when it is said, usually because it is put into the episode almost out of context of whatever story Burn-it is telling at the time.

So don't take the simple
fact that I think Shakes is godlike to mean that I think he isn't an ass. -Samiam 10/12/04

"RE: Huh?????????"
Posted by VerucaSalt on 11-16-04 at 07:52 AM
A man will be going this week; unfortunately it is Chad. There is no reason to believe the women or most of them will not get rid of another male; this has been their goal. Chris's arc has risen again and he was third in the pecking order of Lea, Chad, Chris. I like Chad but unfortunately the women have the majority.

As far as winning quotes, I never subscribe fully to this but it definitely plays a part in the winner. But we never fully know when it comes and who it comes from (as it doesn't have to be by the mouth of the winner)

If Chris were to win, I found his first episode confessional very telling:

But this game, you gotta outwit, outplay, outlast people. You don’t have to outbalance them.”

This game was heavy with harmony and balance as a theme BUT this was embodies by the women as we saw constantly how they wanted a harmonious tribe and so forth. I would find it greatly interesting and ironice if the man who could not balance himself on the beam and shown falling over and over and over (almost to the point where you did wonder why they showed it so darn much) that his vision of the game was that outbalancing (the women's theme) is not what this game is about but rather, outplaying and outlasting

"RE: Huh?????????"
Posted by kingfish on 11-16-04 at 09:01 AM
It is one of the best quotes, key quote or not. Game aside, it's just a witty remark.

Posted by Peachezz on 11-16-04 at 02:03 PM
There is also the quote by Lisa to Eliza in Episode 4,"Really it all comes down to you Eliza, it all comes down to you."

Posted by emydi on 11-16-04 at 02:13 PM
That may be a quote about F3 immunity winner...Eliza decides who is in F2.

Courtesy of the Amazing Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004

Posted by Bebo on 11-16-04 at 02:24 PM
This could also mean that Eliza is the deciding vote in a 4-3 jury.

Please abide in my words, for my references speak of the truth that is within me.

"Irony from the beginning"
Posted by JohnMc on 12-09-04 at 11:30 AM
Chris pulls it off and wins. Here is why:

In the beginning of the show with the ceremony the men were split from the women. It was demonstrated at that point in time that Vanuatuu is a male-dominated society. (*insert reminder of how a woman won S6: Amazon*)

Brady climbed the pole and took the idol back to the men's camp. Ironically, the men kept losing early challenges before the swap, and entered into the merge down in numbers.

However, the power of the idol has already determined that a man would be blessed with victory.

We may not have been given the same "key quotes" as we have in the past, but I believe that we were told from the beginning that a man would win. After the Chad boot, the winner had to be Chris.

"RE: Irony from the beginning"
Posted by Pookie13 on 12-09-04 at 12:44 PM
Interesting ... I kinda forgot about the spirit stone.

Posted by Brownroach on 12-09-04 at 01:05 PM
Well so did everybody else, including MB. It hasn't been shown or mentioned since forever. I wonder if they even still have it.

Posted by pmspml5 on 12-09-04 at 01:32 PM
Per Chads interview the stone is there "just out of camera" and they have it at the merged tribes as well.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 12-09-04 at 01:42 PM
Then, if Chris is the winner, wouldn't they remind us of the stone every now and then, hammer home the symbolism of the stone?

Ergo, I don't think Chris is the winner. Unless they play up the stone big time in the early going of the finale.

©Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004
Scratch and sniff

Posted by RyrieRae on 12-09-04 at 02:30 PM
I've thought alot about how the ceremony and the stone could help tell the story of who wins, but I don't think it does.

First of all, when it happened, noone of course knew who would win, it was simply something done to introduce the castaways to Island lore and tradition, and to make for good TV.

Second of all, you could argue why MB chose to show us this ritual, but I really don't see how they could have edited it out since it was essentially the preface to the castaways finding their camps.

At this point, you can say that it is either foreshadowing or irony, but I don't think either holds any water. It simply made for good TV.

Posted by Loquatrix on 12-09-04 at 04:47 PM
As for the ceremony itself, I tend to agree with you that it was featured as heavily as it was as an introduction to the show, the island, and the players. However, I also propose that it was featured as heavily as it was because the footage they had from that first couple of days was overall lame and boring, and they needed to fill out the time they'd allotted for the episode.

There's plenty of time for the production to refer back to the stone ceremony in the Final Four episode. If it were to make a reappearance in the editing at this stage, it would mean one of two things:

1. Chris is the next boot (an ironic inclusion of the stone)
2. Chris is eventually going to win it (a foreshadowing inclusion of the stone)

Since we know Chris is not going to be booted tonight, there's no point in the stone featuring in the storyline at the moment. I would be very surprised not to see it in the Final Four episode, though. It would come either immediately before Chris' boot, when there would be all kinds of commentary about the island's spirits being overwhelmed by estrogen and stuff, or at the very end of the F4 episode when Chris has made it to F2 and we're being given the opportunity to ponder anew whether there's anything to this whole stone/men thing.

I do think the ceremony and the stone are going to have several more references regardless of how the game plays out. As you suggest, it's one of those kinds of stories that can be used with equal generosity regardless of who wins -- the only thing that would change depending on the gender of the eventual winner would be our subsequent perception of whether the stone ceremony was ladled on ironically or foreshadowingly.

There is simply no way to tell at this point. After all is said and done, however, if Chris wins, spoilers will be saying "EPMB TOLD us a man was going to win from the very opening scenes!" and if someone other than Chris wins, spoilers will be commenting how much EPMB loves irony.

I guess that's the kind of thing that makes him EPMB and us... not. <grin>

Posted by JohnMc on 12-09-04 at 06:23 PM
Loquatrix,

I applaud the eloquence with which you produce your points. I particularly respect the following statement:

"As you suggest, it's one of those kinds of stories that can be used with equal generosity regardless of who wins -- the only thing that would change depending on the gender of the eventual winner would be our subsequent perception of whether the stone ceremony was ladled on ironically or foreshadowingly."

As such, you have made valid my point of the significance of the ceremony, while also proving that it may just as well be irony or foreshadowing. Touchee, oh wise sage!

I have to say that I do believe it to be foreshadowing, but that is just my opinion now.

I do want to say, though, that in response to Pepe and Ryrie say about the significance of the stone, the stone doesn't have to be featured in order to be foreshadowing. We saw it in the beginning, and the irony of the idol bringing them fortune is that the men lost some early challenges. If Chris wins, then we can infer that the spirits on the island smiled upon a man. (The spirits were supposed to be another common "theme" that we didn't see much of, though when we did, it was prominant in the opening ceremony.)

Granted, the first ep was boring, with too much emphasis on that ceremony. Nonetheless, if it proves to have been vital to the plot for Chris winning, then it is important in terms of telling the story.

Posted by JohnMc on 12-13-04 at 07:02 PM
Can I just point out that Chris paid his respect to Roy Mata by giving him the good luck idol?

That d@mn thing came back around full circle, and Chris won.

We were given the gender of the winner at the very beginning when Brady climbed the greased pole.

Wonder if we could be so lucky on S10 w/20 contestants?!

Posted by emydi on 12-09-04 at 01:22 PM
I have this nagging feeling that Chris' quote about not having to "outbalance" will come back to haunt him at F3 IC...he can't and he is ousted at that point...ah, the irony

Posted by ginger on 12-09-04 at 03:29 PM
I don't remember the exact words, but Chris said something in the first episode about being glad it was men v. women, because he could outwit/outlast the men, but women were much tougher.

The 8 Days of Slice. Such a smart girl!

Posted by JohnMc on 12-09-04 at 04:29 PM
Chris did have some ballsy quotes from the beginning. He did talk about how the game is outwit, outplay, outlast, and not outbalance. While it would be ironic for him to lose a challenge because of poor balance, it would be even more ironic if he lost the balance challenge but then won the game!

Also, as has been mentioned, he did talk about being able to beat a tribe of men but women would be tough because they are "thick as thieves." The way I see it we were given two big clues from the beginning:

1. The winner would be a man.
2. Chris would outlast all of the men, and then defeat a large group of women in order to win.

Posted by volsfan on 12-09-04 at 06:13 PM
Didn't the quote go something like...the game of Survivor is not about balance.

Posted by Squarepants party of one on 12-10-04 at 10:20 AM
He makes a good point. Survivor has had some pretty "off-balance" players in the past.

Long live Sponge Bob

Posted by ShowMeTheWinner on 12-15-04 at 07:29 AM
Picking the winning quote was extremely hard. At the end of episode 1, I had so many players who had potentially said the winning quote. I had Ami, who said she was not used to being put 2nd behind a man; I had Chad, whom a few players said would be a final 2 threat due to his leg; I had Chris, who said you don't outbalance people to win; I had Leann who had a Jenna M quote of kicking the men's @$$; I had Mia who also said she's gonna kick butt; I had Rory who said no one was pointing their spears at him because a black man, unlike a white man, is welcome on the island. That's a total of 6 Survivors, a third of all the players.

So I gotta say the winning quote helps to narrow down the potential winners but it is highly open to interpretation. After watching episode 1, I actually thought that it'd be Ami and Chad for final 2, with Chad winning the game.

Kathy O'Brien... The Sole Survivor! (I'd rather be delusional)
Hail the purple rock! Hallelujah..... Oh glory!

Posted by DRONES on 12-15-04 at 10:17 PM
What we know about the winning quote is that it stands the test of time. You keep holding those key quotes up to scrutiny after each ep and see if they are still relevant.

Chad really never had a key quote.
Ami's quote was dripping with irony.
Rory's quote didn't stand the test of time.
Most key quotes are made by the eventual winner themselves with one exception...in-Vee-cible, it was Sean's quote.

I also believe that the quote was Chris saying, I started playing this game the minute I hit the beach. That quote stood out as one of someone playing the game. Ami's quote was one of a somoone out on a personal mission. Her quote wasn't about winning the game or her playing the game to win it.

My biggest problem was that i ignored that quote until the merge because I wanted Chad to win. After the merge and I started to realize, with the help of shakes, that Chad was not playing the game.

DRONES