URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID77
Thread Number: 532
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"11/1 Episode"

Posted by Das Mole on 11-01-06 at 10:22 PM
Thought I'd start up this week's discussion thread since nobody else has yet. I liked the episode. Of course, now there are more questions...as always, haha.

A few main points that I'm thinking about:

1) I don't know whether Juliet is to be trusted with her "movie", although I'd say go with it. What does Jack have to lose, anyway? Not much.

2) Sad to see Eko die. Much rather would've seen Charlie go...oh well.

3) These two new Losties - they don't seem that great. Hopefully they'll have something important to contribute eventually.

4) Who was that creepy guy with the eyepatch? Oooo I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about him.

5) What's up with the black cloud...Locke says he saw a beautiful bright light, Eko sees a dark ominous cloud...huh? And what's its "motive"?

Anyone else have any comments?

das.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: 11/1 Episode"
Posted by batts on 11-01-06 at 11:20 PM
>Thought I'd start up this week's
>discussion thread since nobody else
>has yet. I liked the
>episode. Of course, now there
>are more questions...as always, haha.
>
>
>A few main points that I'm
>thinking about:
>
>1) I don't know whether Juliet
>is to be trusted with
>her "movie", although I'd say
>go with it. What does
>Jack have to lose, anyway?
>Not much.

I wouldn't trust her. After all, Jack seems to know Ben is going to die from his spinal condition anyway... why kill him in a mock surgery? Hmmmmm....

>2) Sad to see Eko die.
>Much rather would've seen Charlie
>go...oh well.

Agree 100%

>4) Who was that creepy guy
>with the eyepatch? Oooo I'm
>getting goosebumps just thinking about
>him.

What hatch were they seeing? Where did they tie into? Was it the underwater bunker they tied into?

>5) What's up with the black
>cloud...Locke says he saw a
>beautiful bright light, Eko sees
>a dark ominous cloud...huh? And
>what's its "motive"?

Yeah, what's with Lockes bright light sighting? Was he just saying that to see if Eko was seeing the same thing as he was?

Posted by Reddhawk on 11-01-06 at 11:33 PM
I apologize in advance for the long post, but this episode really got me thinking.

1) I don't know whether Juliet is to be trusted with her "movie", although I'd say go with it. What does Jack have to lose, anyway? Not much.

I have my doubts about there actually being a rift between Juliet and Ben. There may indeed be some friendly rivalry between the two, but I think they are very much on the same team. It seemed odd to me that Ben admitted to Jack about having some elaborate plan to "break him" and make him "want to do the operation". What was even more odd was the comment that Ben made about Juliet resembling Jack's ex. Almost seemed as though he were trying to push Jack into trusting Juliet. This makes me believe that the real plan to break Jack has something to do with testing him and seeing if he will actually go along with Juliet's scheme.

Agreed. I really expected Eko to have a more significant role to play within the events on the island. Who knows, maybe now we'll have Eko appearing in strange visions.

3) These two new Losties - they don't seem that great. Hopefully they'll have something important to contribute eventually.

I find it odd the way they have been weaving these new characters into the show little by little with almost no introduction. Maybe the producers are just holding out, but I think new characters demand their own flashback episodes. At least that way we would be able to feel some sort of connection to these new characters, rather than the indifference I currently feel for them.

4) Who was that creepy guy with the eyepatch? Oooo I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about him.

I don't even know what to say to this. The only thing I can think is - how many other people are there hanging around underground?

5) What's up with the black cloud...Locke says he saw a beautiful bright light, Eko sees a dark ominous cloud...huh? And what's its "motive"?

I'm beginning to think that smokey the monster can manifest itself in different ways depending on the person it is currently targeting. In the final scene where Eko's brother appeared, he said something about it being time for Eko to "confess his sins and be judged". That appears to be what happened. Maybe after Eko said that he wasn't sorry for the things he had done, the monster judged him and decided that he was no longer worthy of living. I can't help but wonder what would have happened if Eko had been sorry. Would he still be alive?

I'm beginning to think the monster is some sort of morality enforcer. I now think that it has a very direct connection to the others. Maybe they really are the "good guys", because they were the only ones left on the island after the monster killed the rest of the Dharma group. Overall, it seems more like the island judicial system than the island security system.

Posted by Ricky on 11-04-06 at 01:29 AM
>> Almost seemed as though he were trying to push Jack into trusting Juliet. This makes me believe that the real plan to break Jack has something to do with testing him and seeing if he will actually go along with Juliet's scheme.

Yes, that's what I think too. It's a mind game. If Jack doesn't tell Ben about Juliet's "movie" then they know they can't trust him to do the surgery on Ben.

Sig pic by Angelfood. Underdog is a registered trademark of Sony Music (Video) Inc.
Opinions expressed in this post are not necessarily the view of Underdog or Deputy Dog.

Posted by Ahtumbreez on 11-02-06 at 00:10 AM
I hated that they killed off Eko. He was one of the truly interesting characters on the island.

I was so wrong about how this episode would end. I thought he was being led back to the beach where he'd started the church and his "brother" would say "you owe me a church". Boy, was I wrong.

I don't trust Juliet and I'm not sure Ben has a tumor. How paranoid am I?! They like to play too many mindgames and I find myself questioning everything that comes out of their mouths. And I still want to know how they get all the info they have, like what Jack's ex looks like. Because if they can get that can't they get Ben help besides Jack?

Also, where the heck is Sun and Jin?
I don't like them bringing on new Losties if they can't find the time to give us facetime with the ones we already care about.

I really liked Hurley's response to Locke's asking if anyone wanted to come with him

And hasn't the producers said the security device is not nanobots? Well, if not, then what?

Questions, questions and more questions.

"Me too"
Posted by Breezy on 11-02-06 at 08:52 AM
That's how I thought it would end too.

I really don't like having these new Losties with no introduction and no background. They did a bad job of adding new people.

I owe you a PM.

"RE: Me too"
Posted by Ahtumbreez on 11-02-06 at 01:54 PM
Hi cutie-patootie.

Read in USA Today that Eko (Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje) asked to be taken off. He lost both of his parents last year and is going back to England to direct a film about his life.

Tummy

a beautiful kyngsladye original

"RE: Me too"
Posted by Cathy the Canadian on 11-03-06 at 05:44 PM
Yup. He did. Here's the link:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2006-11-01-eko-lost_x.htm

Posted by cycles2k on 11-02-06 at 03:06 AM
LAST EDITED ON 11-02-06 AT 03:06 AM (EST)

I don't think the "others" are the bad guys but I do think they are manipulative. My guess is that she and Ben are working together.

Another dead Taily. Wasn't Eko arrested too? I think that getting arrested is not a good career move for an actor on Lost. . Only one Taily left and that is Rose's husband.

Maybe it has something to do with the "eye of the beholder".

This was a pretty good episode but too much Jack.

Posted by michel on 11-02-06 at 08:17 AM

>Only one
>Taily left and that is
>Rose's husband.

There are still the ones the Others captured, including the kids. When Sawyer and Kate were sent to do hard labor, the other workers were probably Tailies.

The Black Cloud must appear differently whether that person seeing it is "Good" or "Bad". Of course that would mean Locke is considered good or he is being tested still.

Juliette might have been one of the persons Ben broke with his mindgames. She now sees a way to free herself. The other possibility is that they are testing Jack to see if he is a killer or not. That would mean Ben is pretty committed to his research if he is willing to let Jack operate to prove a point. Then again, if it is the Others who are conducting the experiments, they would need to be very committed to the program to have given an arsenal to the Losties.

Posted by Breezy on 11-02-06 at 08:50 AM
Ben is pretty committed to his research

I must have missed that. What is his research?

Posted by Glow on 11-02-06 at 08:44 AM
Last night got me wondering if they're introducing new characters as they kill of the main ones because they're all going to get killed off. Like maybe that was the intention all along. That the first characters we met aren't the ones that will survive and get off the island or save the day somehow or live happily ever after some other way.

Posted by trigirl on 11-02-06 at 09:40 AM
I am very unhappy that they killed off Eko. He was one of my favourite characters!!!!!!!

I agree that the black smoke is a moral metre of some kind. I said last season that it was a conscience. Remember when you watched the episode the first time Eko saw the smoke in slow motion, you could see pictures of the church, his brother, a woman. He was ready to 'confess' at that time and came back to build a church. This time he did not confess and look how that ended up.

I agree that the Juliet - Ben thing is another test. I sure hope that Jack does not intentionally try to kill Ben. Let him die slowly if that is his intent.

Don't like the new Losties. Maybe it's contract renewal time and the producers want to point out that everyone is replaceable and expendable.

Posted by Chez on 11-02-06 at 12:21 PM
Regarding the black smoke - I was just wondering if it is activated in some way when the monitoring stations are active, or when some electrical activity is taking place nearby. The reason I thought of that is - didn't the black smoke appear in last night's episode at exactly the same time that Sayid was fiddling with the wires on the monitoring computers in the nearby hatch? Of course we don't have direct evidence from the previous appearances of the smoke as to whether this was the case, but maybe it is something to consider.

Posted by mrc on 11-02-06 at 12:52 PM
The smoke was actually tracking Eko before that, so I don't think it is tied to electrical activity.

Posted by dragonflies on 11-03-06 at 11:26 AM
When the smoke was tracking him, it was totally creeping me out. I kept hiding my face. I just knew he was going to die then. *sigh*

Posted by frodis on 11-02-06 at 01:14 PM
I have some random observations.

After seeing the black smoke toss Eko around, I guess we can now imagine how the pilot wound up impaled in the tree way back at the beginning. Didn't the losties hear the "security system" sound then, too?

Eko's brother's body isn't the first one that wasn't where it was supposed to be. Remember when Jack found his father's coffin and there was no body inside? The assumtion then was that the airline never put the body inside, but could it be that he was, in fact, in there? Jack has seen his father on the island.

Did the image of Eko rolling the giant stone away from the plane remind anyone else of a "Jesus in the tomb" image? As soon as I saw him rolling the giant stone away, I mentioned to DH, "doesn't that seem Jesus-ey to you?" DH said, "so you don't think his body is in there?" Bingo.

My first reaction to the new "losties" was that they're like the red shirt guys on Star Trek and are only there to get killed, at some point.

Remember Rousseau talking about the "black smoke"? I wonder if she was talking about the security system and not the smoke rising from the beach, as it seemed at the time. Especially since when the smoke was rising from the beach it wound up being Rousseau herself that started that fire.

Just some thoughts. I have no idea how they fit in, but they were things that stuck out to me last night.

Like a bird on a stick, like a burning midnight fire, I have tried, in my life to be free.
Sigs by Bob-Poor drawing combined with obscure misquoted lyrics.

Posted by Bebo on 11-02-06 at 02:33 PM
Maybe I'm just getting cynical, or maybe I've lost my Lost addiction, but when Locke leaned over to hear Eko, Mr. Bebo asked me what I thought he had said. My answer?

"Save the cheerleader, save the world."

I was just disappointed last night. All that buildup over a Lost death, and the Eko-centered episode made it obvious that he was a goner. It would have been oh-so-more dramatic if he has just been polar bear food.

Posted by HobbsofMI on 11-02-06 at 03:43 PM
I agree....I'm starting to lose it a little for Lost....Eko was one of my favs and next week we go back to Jack....

I've been a little disappointed with this season....I guess with The Others playing games is too much for me....there are enough things for me to wonder what and how then to wonder if they are not just playing with my mind too.

Save the Cheerleader Save the World
sig by Syren and bouncy by IceCat

Posted by idiotcowboy on 11-02-06 at 02:46 PM
Well that was ok, I guess...

So I suppose we can surmise that things that shouldnt be there but occasionally show up like Jack's Dad, Sawyer's boar, Kate's horse, Hurley's imaginary friend, and possibly even Locke's Boone (and Eme?) and Shannon's Walt visions, are in fact manifestations of the black smoke monster. Still no clue what it is, how it got there, and why sometimes it seems helpful and other times it just kills. The common "kill's" have both been to people who were physically injured or dead (perhaps it weeds out the sick and dying for the good of the other survivors???). Remember they kept hearing the monster in the woods while the Marshall was dying on the beach, once he died, they didnt really see the thing again until after the annoying teacher guy, (Artz?) got blown up. Just a thought.

I suppose the Ecko story was done, but it seems like not anymore than a lot of other peoples stories as well. Sayid for instance should probably watch out. Sad to see him go, and is it just me or does it seem like the producers decided that the whole tail section storyline was just not as compelling as the Others/hatch guy, and so they systematically killed off anyone associated with that plotline so they didnt have to ever go back to it.

The tumor and Juliet plotline is getting interesting. Is the tumor really on Ben? Will Jack willingly go along with the Juliet plot? what is Juliet's relationship with Ben anyway (former lover?/sibling?/cult follower?/rival?), and is she really trying to kill Ben off or is she working with Ben to continue to break Jack and force him to do the things they want him to. It is very hard to trust the Others, because they have been very untrustworthy, especially Ben and Juliet because they clearly are the most manipulative of the lot. Somehow I expect that the tumor really is Ben's and that the Juliet "movie" was simply designed to test Jack to see if he would in fact purposely kill him instead of trying to save him. I suspect Jack wont take Juliet's bait, but instead try to pit the two of them against one another to his advantage (since they are working together though, I suspect it wont work out the way he plans).

-ICB

PS: As far as the new people go, it seems like they reverse gendered the bickering Shannon/Boone "couple" and brought them back as Paulo/Nikki... may they have the same fate, sooner rather than later.

Posted by MrBigDog1974 on 11-02-06 at 05:10 PM
Good point. Maybe it's just the caretaker for the island...survival of the fittest?

Shame Eko left...I enjoyed his character as well. But I suppose we can get back to focusing on the main characters now. One less storyline to tie up in the end, which I think would make everyone happy.

My wife had an interesting point last night...the movie that Juliet played was reflecting off of the glass in front of Jack's cell. Goes to reason that maybe Ben saw the movie if he was spying again?

Posted by sharnina on 11-02-06 at 08:36 PM

>My wife had an interesting point
>last night...the movie that Juliet
>played was reflecting off of
>the glass in front of
>Jack's cell. Goes to reason
>that maybe Ben saw the
>movie if he was spying
>again?

I went back and looked. I think the TV was pushed up close enough to the glass that the camera would not have been able to catch the reflection. JMHO

But with all the mysteries in this show - *shrugs* - who knows?

Posted by warp_core breach on 11-02-06 at 11:42 PM
I was very disappointed to see Eko go. I thought that out of all the survivors, he had the most interesting life before the crash. I mean the guy was a real bad dude who was impersonating a Catholic priest! He crash lands on an island and surprise, here's where your long lost brother's body is! What are the chances? They could have made him an important character. As for the "main" characters, I'm a bit bored with them this season. Jack in a fish tank and Sawyer and Kate in cages. Jack bitches and Sawyer and Kate make googo eyes at each other. What about Claire or Sayid? Even annoying Charlie? Now unfortunately, we'll have to wait three months before any of the survivors get a main episode. And yes, the newbies are "yawn" right now. Maybe in three months, things will pick up.

A Seana Halloween Special - Bouncies by IceCat

"Why Eko was killed"
Posted by mrc on 11-03-06 at 08:42 AM
The front page of Thursday's USA Today Life section had a small blurb. Apparently, the actor (forget his name) lost both parents in the past year and asked to be written out of the show.

Posted by Dunard2 on 11-03-06 at 10:22 AM
LAST EDITED ON 11-03-06 AT 10:24 AM (EST)

Anyone else think that the glass eye that was found in the Taillies hatch belongs to One-eyed-Willy that we saw on the TV monitor?

Also, we've been led to believe that the island has "healing powers" a la Locke's ability to walk, Rose's cancer in supposed remission, etc. So why would Ben's tumor not be effected? Maybe since it probably developed while he was on the island?

ETF - Spelling

Posted by mrc on 11-03-06 at 10:28 AM
Wow. Good points that I hadn't thought of.

Posted by CattyChat on 11-05-06 at 07:42 AM
Also, we've been led to believe that the island has "healing powers" a la Locke's ability to walk, Rose's cancer in supposed remission, etc. So why would Ben's tumor not be effected? Maybe since it probably developed while he was on the island?

Exactly what I was thinking when the whole "tumor" thing came up. And add in Sun getting pregnant since being on the island, her infertility problem cured.

At first I thought maybe the Others were messing with Jack & the xray was old and before the island fixed Ben. Now I just think the writers keep forgetting what the heck they wrote in the past with all their jumping around.

This show is getting on my nerves. Killing off Ecko so soon & too much Jack & the "Others." This season is ridiculous & I wish they'd go back to the basics & deal with the Losties & their back stories & what their plan is now with their situation.

I'll be watching to see who the next actor is to get arrested on a driving charge in Hawaii. Seems to me that is the real reason they are killing off these people. The brief third-party article re Ecko wanting to be off the show doesn't wash with me.

Lost is losing it's luster with me. The fact that I DVR it & don't get around to watching it for a few days rather than ASAP like before is telling for me. Sure hope this season turns around soon.

Kind Creation of ARNutz

Posted by udg on 11-06-06 at 10:18 PM
And add in Sun getting pregnant since being on the island, her infertility problem cured.

The doctor later tracked her down and told her Jin was actually the one with the problem. The baby is probably Jae's, and both Jin and Sun seemed to believe that.

Slice n' Dice's Sigpic Chop Shop 2004

"Latest Podcast..."
Posted by AugustGirl on 11-08-06 at 09:05 AM
I'll be watching to see who the next actor is to get arrested on a driving charge in Hawaii. Seems to me that is the real reason they are killing off these people. The brief third-party article re Ecko wanting to be off the show doesn't wash with me.

Yesterday I listened to the official Lost podcast dedicated to last week's episode. The producers said the character of Eko was never meant to be there for the long run. The actor playing Eko did not want to be tied to the role for more than a year. He only wanted a one year contract and that is what they gave him. They did ask him if they could extend Eko's time on the island into the third season because they did not want to have all three deaths happen at the end of the second season. AAA agreed.

The producers have said several times that the legal woes of the Tailies never once played into the demise of Ana Lucia, Libby, or Eko. Thought they did joke that Bernard better watch his back.

They also alluded to the fact that we might be seeing the other kidnapped Tailies including the children by episode 8. They also mentioned Cindy might be returning.

"RE: Latest Podcast..."
Posted by Ice 9 on 11-08-06 at 12:27 PM
I have to agree with this post. Eko's end had nothing to do with AAA's "arrest" (which turned out to be nothing, anyway). It's clear from multiple sources that he wanted off the show. The fact that his parents died and that AAA's home is in London probably meant he needed to get back to Europe to deal with all of that. I also think that Lindelof, et al. probably wanted to wait until after the hiatus to off Eko, but couldn't because of AAA's needs. So what we got was a rushed and half-baked death episode that took up 1/6 of their "mini-season".

The whole thing seems silly. I wish they would have just had him die in the implosion or at the hands (teeth?) of the polar bear. It wouldn't have had the same closure, but, imo, that's preferable to changing the essence of his character without any real explanation to fit a death episode.

Posted by Ice 9 on 11-03-06 at 01:04 PM
Overall, it was a sloppily-written episode. The two new characters, Paolo and Nikki, add nothing...yet.

I thought Eko's unrepentent end didn't really synch up with his character to that point. And there didn't seem to be an event that caused this change of heart. How does he go from a guy carrying a "Jesus stick" and quoting scripture and building a church--all attempts to atone for his sins--to a guy who basically tells his faith (represented by his brother) to F off? Because a polar bear tried to eat him? I'm just not getting the connection. Seemed like a convenient write-off (which it probably was, if trade rumors are to be believed).

And has anyone seen any spec on the possibility that Patch-Eye controls the smoke monster? That was my first thought, because there was a direct line between his discovery and when the monster attacked Eko. Eko's dying words to Locke could possibly support that theory. They know about Patch-Eye, ergo they're next.

Posted by TenPin on 11-03-06 at 05:29 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-03-06 AT 05:31 PM (EST)

-Ice 9

It’s nice to have you join us here.

I agree with the strange change in Eko’s demeanor not really sync up with the way he was earlier being portrayed. Maybe he lost faith somehow with the exploding hatch or something… I am thinking it really did have to do with his desire to leave the show.

There is a lot to discover with eye-patch guy yet. I am not so sure that the camera he covered allowed him to see the individuals in the Pearl station. He must have noticed it turning on (red light or something) and from past experience knew he didn’t want to be watched and shut it down. Maybe?

By the way… I love the user name. Is it from Vonnegut’s Cats Cradle? He is a pretty amazing author.

TenPin

Posted by Ice 9 on 11-04-06 at 04:36 PM
>It’s nice to have you join
>us here.

Good to be here.

>There is a lot to discover
>with eye-patch guy yet.
>I am not so sure
>that the camera he covered
>allowed him to see the
>individuals in the Pearl station.
> He must have noticed
>it turning on (red light
>or something) and from past
>experience knew he didn’t want
>to be watched and shut
>it down. Maybe?

Well, the Pearl station is the only one we've seen with surveillance capabilities. So if Patch-Eye is familiar with the setup of the hatches, he would know that someone in the Pearl station is watching him. And if he controls the smoke monster, he may have seen all of them going to the Pearl station. Still just a wild theory, but I like it better than the smoke monster being able to assess character and dish out punishment accordingly.

>By the way… I love the
>user name. Is it
>from Vonnegut’s Cats Cradle?

Yep. Just a shout-out to my favorite author.

"X-Rays"
Posted by trigirl on 11-07-06 at 09:15 AM
When I first saw and heard of the X-rays depicting a tumour, I immediately thought of Locke. I don't think they are Ben's at all.

"RE: X-Rays"
Posted by esquire on 11-08-06 at 01:56 PM
I had the same thought