URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID45
Thread Number: 529
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Joey"

Posted by DooWahDitty on 12-19-05 at 12:17 PM
OK now, clubs and snark pens down! I really like this show!

However, there is a huge problem. Even though they have really talented peeps (my fave is Jennifer Coolidge), and the premise is decent, the writers are giving the actos lame sh!t to work with. This show has potential and they're running it into the ground.

The one-hour episode last week was pulling the show out of the dumper in the first half hour. Just when I was getting hopeful, Matt LeBlanc was forced to mouth at least 2 really lame lines. I feel sorry for these guys. They're all really talented, IMO. Hope the show makes it, but I'm doubting.

They really should handle the Joey/Alex dance differently. There is potential in the clash between Alex's brain matter and Joey's "duh" consciousness. They're dumbing Alex down into a sappy "I slept with him once and now I'm madly in love" bimbo who never seems to be actually working, when they could have some really snappy repartee going on like in some of the other shows (that I don't watch).

Sigpic by Seana

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Joey"
Posted by CattyChat on 12-21-05 at 12:54 PM
I'm saddened by the fact that this show is probably done with. I agree with you, Doowah, that the writers are running it into the ground. So MUCH potential. I have been suffering friends withdrawals ever since the show ended & Joey is my mini fix.

The first few eps of the first season were okay, but felt like the writers were trying TOO hard. Then it seemed to pick up. I enjoy the dynamics between Joey & his nephew; Joey & his sister & my fave is Jennifer Coolidge as Joey's manager. I've never been a fan of the lawyer/landlord woman & can't stand her pathetic love sick "dumbed-down" character as it is now.

This season I thought started out better with the addition of Joey's new African American sidekick -- I think the guy is pretty funny & like Joey playing off of him. I've laughed out loud a few times this season with the new guy in the mix. I also was enjoying Joey's "BIG" movie. Very funny.

I really don't want them to pull the show & hope they will fix the writing. The cast is really funny (except lawyer/landlord lady) & they need to tighten up the storylines & writing. But I have a feeling we won't be seeing Joey anymore

Kind Creation of ARNutz

Posted by DooWahDitty on 12-21-05 at 03:30 PM
Hi Catty! My sentiments exactly. Jennifer Coolidge absolutely cracks me up, especially since I'm from L.A. Her character is a satire on the Hollywood scene, and she does it so well. I wish we'd see more of her. I've written the show about that.

We should do a campaign on the producers to keep it on. All those actors have so much talent and they deserve better material. I even like the Alex character. I think it's a testament to her talent that her lines don't totally go ker-plunk. She, especially, deserves a better story-line, and better lines.

Another issue, it might be moved to Tuesday (think I read that somewhere) and if that happens, it'll probably die a quick death.

Sigpic by Seana

Posted by MollyTV on 12-23-05 at 11:34 PM
i agree! i really was worried the first season and liked it a little...i was hoping they gave joey a second season...and then i loved the new cast additions...they are very funny...even the suave neighbor gregory harrison...too funny.

if only they can keep it going!
joey with the little kid on the movie set was funny.
mollytv

Posted by oz4ever on 01-10-06 at 05:40 AM
I totally agree with you about Alex! I really liked her to begin with but now she has gone all dopey. Here in Australia the first season premiered in Feb 05 but was cut after 2 months and only started up again in December. When I got back to watching the more recent episodes, it was like Alex was an entirely new character, she had changed that much.

However, I disagree with Catty about the African American character Zac. Seems to me like he met Joey in at the audition in the first episode of season 2, then at the beginning of the second episode he was already hanging out at Joey's house as though they were best buddies.

I like how Gina has a job with Bobbie now, it's a bit unrealistic but it gives the potential for more storylines between the two of them and gets the characters more intertwined.

I would love to see a guest appearance by anyone who was on Friends (I had been expecting at least Matthew Perry by now but I guess not), like say if Joey were to run into Elle Macpherson again or something. Also on the topic of guest stars, I was sooo disappointed with Gunner, cos I love Colby so much!! His character was such an egotistical weirdo and I don't know whether that was caused by anti-Survivor lobbyists who thought maybe the way for Joey to beat Survivor on the ratings was for them to portray previous Survivor contestants as idiots who have overstepped their 15 minutes of fame.

Handcrafted by RollDdice
An combination of Colby and Matthew Perry. I can only hope.

"I read today..."
Posted by oz4ever on 01-15-06 at 05:01 PM
in my TV Guide gossip section, that the only reason they continue to make episodes of Joey is that due to Matt LeBlanc's contract, it is actually cheaper to keep making the show than to pay him out.

Does anyone know if this is actually true?

Also, I would hate for them to stop making it mid-season and leave us DVD collectors in the lurch.

"RE: I read today..."
Posted by DooWahDitty on 01-16-06 at 01:21 AM
oh poo. This wouldn't surprise me in the least. No wonder the writing stinks. What a waste of good acting talent!

"RE: I read today..."
Posted by oz4ever on 01-16-06 at 02:33 AM
You would think, though, that if the writers knew the show was potentially being axed and that they had virtually free rein over anything in the show, that they would take the opportunity to try something new, edgier, different. Showcase their own writing talents to increase their chances of being picked up for another show after Joey.

Unless their writing is just so pathetic that what they're writing now is conisdered "good" for them.

"Yes, What a Waste"
Posted by CattyChat on 01-16-06 at 08:58 AM
I don't understand how they can waste such funny actors & a great idea for Joey's spinoff. Truly pathetic. Spend a few dollars for some funny writers & bring the show back.

I would love my Thursday nights as Joey, Will&Grace (until they go off & then bring in Scrubs), Earl & The Office. That is a great Thursday night must see tv lineup IMO.

Kind Creation of ARNutz

Posted by mylove4u on 01-25-06 at 10:42 AM
I use to watch friends all the time.So when they were giving joey his own show.I was happy,but I understand they wanted to make it joey but he isnt joey with out his friends.I dont mean bring them all on,but at least have there names in it.for example when something big happens in his life why can't they have his gang call him or send him gift with congrates.Plus every once in awhile have some one show up.

I miss him with out his freinds.............

Posted by DooWahDitty on 01-25-06 at 12:16 PM
Yep. It's quite credible and would boost ratings. Not saying they should have done it at the begining, or at the beginning of 2nd season, but NOW would be a very good time.

doubt it'll happen. IDJITS!

Posted by oz4ever on 01-25-06 at 05:33 PM
The problem is that none of the actors want to come back **cough cough **spoiled Hollywood snobs** cough cough**. It's understandable that the girls are trying to settle into family life (well apart from Jennifer who wanted a movie career and got ditched for the big-lip lady) but I don't recall Matthew Perry or David Schwimmer having anything better to do. So why can't Chandler or Ross come back? Or even some old guest stars of Friends to reprise their guest star roles? I'd love to see Jennifer Coolidge do a double role as that character Amanda from "The One With Ross's Tan".

Posted by DooWahDitty on 01-25-06 at 06:45 PM
I don't recall Matthew Perry or David Schwimmer having anything better to do.

Yeah, and they don't want everyone reminded of it. That's why they're not on there. Actually I think I read somewhere that David Schwimmer is doing something on/for Broadway, I actually think it's on the sidebar of this website.

writng on the fly or I'd link it