URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID54
Thread Number: 527
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"A little lesson in history for Phil Keoghan"

Posted by arturbars on 08-04-04 at 02:06 PM
While in Russia, why the hell does the host of this show kept saying that Peter the Great built that palalce for his wife Ctherine the Great? eh... maybe CBS should have done some history lessons, Catherine the Great was the emperess of Russia after Peter the Great (Peter I) and she was married to one of his offsprings - Peter III, who was a very weak, sick, and ineffective leader and whom Catherine got rid off very quickly. Her palace in the Pushkin was built after the Peter the Great's reign.....

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: A little lesson in history for Phil Keoghan"
Posted by mikey on 08-04-04 at 02:41 PM
... so then Peter III was the Prodigal Son?

Posted by clemsonbeav on 08-11-04 at 01:00 AM
No that's Jesus. Haven't you ever studied Buddhism?

Posted by Megacanuck on 08-04-04 at 04:01 PM
He'd probably been drinking too much of that top-shelf vodka!

Posted by Esbea on 08-06-04 at 02:50 PM
LAST EDITED ON 08-06-04 AT 02:51 PM (EST)

Peter was married to Catherine I. The Empress Elizabeth (Peter The Wuss's mother) had the palace expanded and renovated in 1752, and work continued through Catherine the Great's reign. Granted, I dont have the episode on tape, but I remember Phil saying that it was built for Peter's wife, "Catherine", not "Catherine The Great".

"Light a fire for a man, and you keep him warm for the night. Light a man afire, and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.''

Posted by landruajm on 08-10-04 at 01:05 PM
Esbea is precisely correct. I do have the episode on tape--and I wrote the summary, making a lame joke about Catherine the Great. Phil did not say that Peter built it for Catherine the Great, he just said he built it for his wife, Catherine.

He didn't build it for Ekaterina Witt, either. Who wasn't Russian anyway.

Posted by Esbea on 08-10-04 at 06:21 PM
Thank you Landru. I wasnt 100% positive what Phil said. I was distracted by the man boobs.
And not to cloud the issue with pesky details, but Peter III wasnt one of Peter The Great's "offsprings" either. Its a common misconception. (misconception.....get it?)

So what? I bet he would have, 'cause Ive been told shes hot.

Posted by Mistral on 08-11-04 at 02:21 AM
Thank you for setting it straight!

Most people associate the name "Catherine" with Catherine the Great in Russian history. Maybe it had something to do with the horses in that leg of the race....

Posted by dabo on 08-11-04 at 02:24 AM

"Snort!"