URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID2
Thread Number: 5226
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Surpises on how All Star Survivor played out"

Posted by esquire on 05-11-04 at 10:07 AM
LAST EDITED ON 05-11-04 AT 04:22 PM (EST)

When doing spoiling you look at thge facts that you know and try to come to some logical conclusions. Before the All Star version of Survivor started I had come to some conclusions regarding the game from what I knew of the contestants that were as wrong as a conclusion can be.

1) The 3 worst selections for the All Star game were Amber, Jenna L and Shi Ann - I think just about all of you would have agreed with that before the game began. However, they finished 1st, 3rd and 6th respectively. Each of them landed up being the last person standing from their original tribe. Both Amber and ShiAnn won important Immunity Challenges when their very survival in the game was on the line. Amber even wins the whole thing

2) That 2 people couldn't have a romance that everyone knew about and make it to the final 2 - This is true for any version fo Survivor. Especially if everyone believed that neither of them would ever vote against the other. Someone should have broken them up before the final 2. I am sure if Rob C would have lasted longer or if Johnny Fairplay were competing, one of those guys would have been voted out earlier.

3) That Jerri was the one contestant most likely to change her reputatuion from the original game - She came off as the world's biggest ##### the first time around and has spent the last few years trying to undo that. This was going to be her chance for people to see her in a different light. Instead, the one person to change their reputation the most from the first time was her little sister from Australia - Amber. Amber's name became synonimous with stupid brainless gameplay the first time around. Even Bryant Gumbel called someone Amberlike to mean brainless gameplay at a reunion show once. However, the brainless one walks away with the million.

4) That contestants that knew each other from playing against each other in the past would be natural allies - Instead anytime 2 people who played against each other were on the same tribe, they attempted to vote each other off. In episode 1, Jerri quickly leads the fight to get Tina off. In episode 2, Jenna leads the fight to get rid of Rudy. When the Saboga tribe is disbanded, Jerri right away works to get Colby voted off. Lex quickly betrays Ethan and votes him out. When Amber switches tribes, she immediately makes Jerri the one she is focusing on as an alternate boot while Jerri unsuccessfully works to make Ambeer the one voted off. When the big merge takes place, Tom does nothing to stop Lex from getting voted off and Boston Rob quickly goes after Kathy. The only former tribemates to play together for a long time were Alicia and Amber. And to be perfectly honest, they didn't seem to like each other that much. They didn't cretae an alliance of any sort.

Do any of you have any other unexpected surprises from what you expected to happen after you heard who the 18 all stars were going to be?

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Surpises on how All Star Survivor played out"
Posted by Loree on 05-11-04 at 10:30 AM
I think Lex was a surprise in alot of ways. I thought he would hook-up more with Ethan if given the chance. But he booted him. And then he played so stupid by getting rid of all the males on his tribe. I think Lex and Kathy played poorly long before they kept Amber. They were playing for the end game before they ever got to a merge.

And Colby and Rich were rather disappointing. I expected more from them. Plus who would have guessed the Sue & Rich problem?

Posted by big tom fan on 05-11-04 at 11:01 AM
how could anyone say that amber was abad choice for all stars? she got the big 4 way alliance early she had rob taking every bullet for her when they were voting people off and had him by her strings. she played a great game combining strategy and not pissing off the memebrs the best she could and i think she knew that getting people on the jury pissed at her was not a good idea and she was not going to bank on the fact that people were going to vote for the ebst player all the time.

i thought shi ann played an average game. going along with lex's plana dn voting off the big guys who are good atr the challeneges so early was so dumb. but when the emrge happened she played well and realized thepecking order but everyone as too stubborn to join her. pre merge she played good enough to make and she at least made an alliance with lex, but she shoud have called out lex on his dumb strategy which was her only mistake.

its a shame colby had to do what he did to rich? he was so scared of rich that he just got him out based on his first game and his great mind.

if anyone deserved not to be on allstars it was jerry. she is an awful player, pisses everyone off, is lazy, sucks at challeneges (bow and arrow challenge anyone) and is the most annoying, undeserving survivor player in history and only made the all stars cause of character.

Posted by anotherkim on 05-11-04 at 07:34 PM
she was a bad choice based on her play in Australia. She was nowhere near in the same league as most of the others based on that fact.

Miscellaneous Ramblings
--that's where the whole "surprise" context of the post comes in.

Posted by dekko on 05-11-04 at 12:25 PM
Why was everyone expecting great things from Rich? Sure, he won the game in the first season, but for that reason alone he had a huge target on his back and HE KNEW IT. He was obviously just there to have a good time--he never treated the game seriously for more than a moment. Sue, he tried to rustle up a little strategy, but he knew his days were numbered.

Rich was gone before they even got to the location.

Colby just got caught in Lex's idiotic plan.

Posted by tamina on 05-11-04 at 10:43 AM
Chapera dominating the challenges.

I expected Saboga with Rupert and Ethan on board and the Mogos with Rich and Colby to do much better.

Posted by dabo on 05-11-04 at 11:37 AM
Saboga was pretty much set up to lose, too many weak links. Rupert was the new kid on the block, Tina and Rudy shouldn't have both been put on the same tribe, and they also had the most risk of bad baggage getting in the way with former enemies Jerri/Tina and JennaL/Rudy in the mix.

ARRRRRRR!!!!

"surprised or not so surprised"
Posted by JohnMc on 05-11-04 at 12:31 PM
In the big picture, I guess we shouldn't have been surprised at the result of the game. There were opportunities for shakeups, but ultimately it had to work out this way. Let's look at the 3 tribes.

Saboga - Jenna L, Jerri, Tina, Ethan, Rudy, Rupert

3 groups of 2. Jenna and Jerri, Jenna is the brain. Ethan and Tina, Tina the brain. Rupert and Rudy, both followers.

Once Jenna could convince Rupert or Rudy that the "vote out the winners" strategy was the way to go, then Jenna is now the leader of the tribe. That's why Tina was voted out: vote out the weakest winner. Had Rudy not hurt himself in the next challenge, Ethan would have been next.

Tina and Ethan needed to team up with the guys, and they could have turned the game around. But Jenna took control, and she didn't have to let go until they were dissolved.

Mogo Mogo - Rich, Jenna, Lex, Kathy, Jenna M, Shii Ann

Here is a tribe of 6 leaders. Each of them wants to be in control. According to Nash's game playing theory, the winner in this tribe of leaders will be the one who decides to be a follower. That was Shii Ann. That's why she (Shii) lasted longer than any of the other Mogos.

Chapera - Rob M, Amber, Tom, Sue, Rob C, Alicia

The only leader in this tribe is Rob M. Everyone else is a follower. Very much all characters, but definitely all followers. Robfadda was destined to be in charge of the decision making.

Saboga collapses first.

Saboga only won 1 challenge, and they gave it away to everyone else. Rob M was the scrappy competitor who could rally his Chapera troops around him. Mogo didn't have team spirit, nor did they seem to have much fun. Saboga really didn't have much of a cheerleader. Even though they had Jenna, I think they saw her as an irritating leader instead of a cheerleader. And when they lost the shelter building challenge due to poor construction, their spirit was lost. They couldn't win, and were destined to dissolve.

Mogos defeat themselves

Because they were so top heavy with leaders, Shii really had the best strategy. Lex allowed or even caused the Mogos to implode early on. Instead of getting rid of Rich, Shii Ann was really the weakest. But because egos got in the way, the people seen as threats were Rich and Colby. And even after they got Jerri and Ethan, they went after them instead of Shii Ann. They kept getting rid of strength and leadership instead of sharing leadership and booting the weak. The Mogos couldn't see past their egos and defeated themselves. Again, Shii rises above all of this because she adopted the follower attitude instead of the leader.

Romber dominate

They ruled the tribe. If they didn't have Rob, then they would be without a good leader. That's why they kept him. Amber was kept because of her relationship w/Rob. Even in the Amber swap, Mogo knew that keeping Amber meant having a favor, and that cutting Amber meant losing favor fast. Even though breaking up a power couple was important for someone else to be in control, Rob and Amber just were untouchable unless the rest of the tribe wanted to suffer the consequences of A)being without a leader or B)suffering Rob's wrath.

In this situation, Amber has to win. Rob takes the bullets, and Amber is the good cop. The only way for this to have not happened was for someone to change any of the above games up, and no one wanted to do that.

Lex thought he would change things up by booting Colby and Ethan. The two of them needed to get rid of Lex and somehow create some sense of team unity and purpose.

All in all the game was fun until the merge. You didn't expect to see power players like Rob C, Rich, Colby, Ethan, and Jerri go so soon. But once the merge happened, it was boring and predictable. The only thing that made the finale fun was wondering if Rupert or Jenna would win immunity. When that didn't happen, the only fun thing was watching Rob getting a new hole get chewed out of him.

3 tribes - fun
2 tribes till the merge - fun
merge - mega-boring
finale - awesome

Overall, glad to have watched it, still a fan.

"RE: surprised or not so surprised"
Posted by ginger on 05-11-04 at 02:43 PM
I was surprised at how much Colby, Lex, Ethan and Tom disgusted me by the end of the season.

I was surprised Rupert couldn't build a camp for sh__.

I was surprised Hatch lasted as long as he did, given his rep and status as the Pioneer Winner. It is to his credit that he did.

I was surprised Alicia's mother looks like my mother.

I was NOT surprised, as many were, that Rob C. tanked. I didn't think he was that impressive, anyway.

I was surprised that ousting Jerri was the ubergoof of the season (although Lex certainly gave us a lot of bonehead plays from which to choose).

I was not surprised that, given hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of surgery, clothing and hair/makeup advice and work, Sue still looks pretty much the same. Silk purse, sows ear.

"Any government that would deny a gay man bridal registry is fascist." Margaret Cho

Posted by Handola on 05-11-04 at 05:23 PM
LOL, Ginger! Loved your comment about Sue. She does look the same! I'd be a bit p.o.'d if I were her, but I guess she didn't pay for it anyway.

I was surprised that all the people who made it to the final four didn't do very well in their first seasons. Although, it does make some sense that the underdog tribe (Chapera with no actual winners from any season) did the best overall. They hadn't tasted the sweet victory that some of the others had and I think it made them work harder.

I was surprised at Lex. I actually liked him in Africa. He sucked in All Stars. I think he's an idiot now, whereas at the start I was rooting for him to go farther.

I am surprised that Jerri is still so hated. I guess she wasn't on long enough to show a different side, but I thought she was doing better this time around. Remember, she was the only Sabogan who thought Rupert's shelter idea was a truly bad one. I think the producers paid him to make that stupid shelter-anyone could figure out that underground structures on the beach are the WORST idea ever!

Peace

Posted by ceedee on 05-13-04 at 01:34 AM
You bet! Richard - I was surprised he lasted as long as he did as well, and completely agree he gets kudos for that.

And Sue - LOL - TOO TRUE! (Plus any slight improvment seems to fade even more as soon as she starts talking!)

Posted by shakes the clown on 05-11-04 at 04:02 PM
>1) The 3 worst selections for
>the All star game were
>Amber, Jenna L and Shi
>Ann - I think just
>about all of you would
>have agreed with that before
>the game began. However,
>they finished 1st, 3rd and
>6th respectively. Each
>of them landed up being
>the last person standing from
>their original tribe. Both
>Amber and ShiAnn win important
>Immunity challenges when their very
>survival in the game was
>on the line. Amber
>even wins the whole thing

.....but here you hit on the fatal flaw in the game of Survivor, that being that it is a game that rewards the weak and punishes the strong....which is in direct contrast to the symbolic point of the contest, that being a microcosim of Darwin's "Natural Selection" theory.

Because this game rewards weak players it is no surprise that the three least deserving allstars did so well since they were teamed up with people who were more physically dominating and had stronger personalitities.

But, from day one I said the biggest mistake was the casting of Rudy. Its one thing to have Rudy in an 8 member tribe, but in a tribe of 6 with only 3 males there was no way to hide his inferior physical condition....and that is the reason for the early demise of Saboga. It was unfair to the rest of Saboga that they were essentially playing with one less male than the other tribes.

Additionally, I said from day one that MB screwed up by spreading out the winners. He should've had the winners all on one tribe so they could hide their collective "weak gazelle" status in this game by hiding out in the "strength in numbers" collective.

>Do any of you have any
>other unexpected surprises from what
>you expected to happen after
>you heard who the 18
>all stars were going to
>be?

Not really. I'm not suprised with the people who did well in the game, nor am I even slightly surpised that Chapera dominated early. Look at it this way, there were quite a few people in this game who didn't really have the heart or desire for it this go around. Namely, Rich, Colby, Ethan, Tina, JennaM, Jerri. Notice how they all have one thing in common, none of them were on Chapera. It made perfect sense then that Chapera would dominate the challenges since they had the most players who actually cared about winning the game. Coming into this game you could argue that no two people had more to prove this time around than RobM and Amber.....RobM didn't even make the jury and Amber was regarded as the dumbest player ever to make the jury. ShiA didn't make the jury either, but at least she can claim she got screwed by an unforseen twist.

RobM came into this game with a huge chip on his shoulder and was hugely motivated to not only win the game, but show America that he was tougher than Colby and Ethan in the process. And I think he accomplished what he set out for.

Posted by esquire on 05-11-04 at 04:19 PM
>
>.....but here you hit on the
>fatal flaw in the game
>of Survivor, that being that
>it is a game that
>rewards the weak and punishes
>the strong....which is in direct
>contrast to the symbolic point
>of the contest, that being
>a microcosim of Darwin's "Natural
>Selection" theory.
>
>Because this game rewards weak players
>it is no surprise that
>the three least deserving allstars
>did so well since they
>were teamed up with people
>who were more physically dominating
>and had stronger personalitities.
>
>But, from day one I said
>the biggest mistake was the
>casting of Rudy. Its
>one thing to have Rudy
>in an 8 member tribe,
>but in a tribe of
>6 with only 3 males
>there was no way to
>hide his inferior physical condition....and
>that is the reason for
>the early demise of Saboga.
> It was unfair to
>the rest of Saboga that
>they were essentially playing with
>one less male than the
>other tribes.
>
I don't understand your argument. First you say that the game rewards the weak and punishes the strong and that is why Amber, Jenna and Shi Ann did well. Then you say that the biggest mistake of Survivor All stars was the selection of Rudy because he is so weak. If being weak is a plus, then it should have been a big plus for Rudy. Obviously it wasn't because he was voted out in 6 days.

Being small and weak is generally a huge disadvantage to a person before the merge and I was surprised that neither Jenna, Shi Ann nor Amber was not voted out prior to the merge

"clarification"
Posted by shakes the clown on 05-11-04 at 04:35 PM
>I don't understand your argument.
>First you say that the
>game rewards the weak and
>punishes the strong and that
>is why Amber, Jenna and
>Shi Ann did well.
>Then you say that the
>biggest mistake of Survivor All
>stars was the selection of
>Rudy because he is so
>weak. If being weak
>is a plus, then it
>should have been a big
>plus for Rudy. Obviously
>it wasn't because he was
>voted out in 6 days.
>
>
>Being small and weak is generally
>a huge disadvantage to a
>person before the merge and
>I was surprised that neither
>Jenna, Shi Ann nor Amber
>was not voted out prior
>to the merge

....if you can survive the first couple of tribal councils then being weak becomes a huge advantage in this game. But, by being weak I am also talking about weak personalities such as Amber's, not just physical strength.

Amber may not have been the strongest person on her tribe, but she wasn't outwardly physically weak to the point where she hurt her tribe ala Rudy, plus she was able to hide in the background while bigger personalities such as Sue, RobC and Alicia put targets on their backs.

As for Jenna she was able to hide behind an even weaker tribe member in Rudy + a big target in previous winner Tina. And ShiAnn was lucky that she was on Lex's tribe and therefore benefitted from Lex's pre-season cheating attempts to rig the game the whole way through.

Usually, in this game we are dealing with 8 member tribes with at least a couple of weak members. One usually gets the boot early letting the other coast through to the end.

Therefore, when I saw the cast list and tribe breakdown I wasn't at all suprised that Amber, Jenna and Shi did well, since there were other obvious targets on their tribes to take the pre-merge heat. Both SHi and Jenna had 2 previous winners on their tribe while Amber had huge target RobC and idiots Sue and Alicia. That allowed them enough space to avoid the early boot and once they avoided the early boot it was just another case of weak people coasting to the end.

Posted by JohnMc on 05-11-04 at 05:05 PM
<<.....but here you hit on the fatal flaw in the game of Survivor, that being that it is a game that rewards the weak and punishes the strong....which is in direct contrast to the symbolic point of the contest, that being a microcosim of Darwin's "Natural Selection" theory.>>

Darwin's Natural Selection is not that the "strong survivor" but it is "that which is most adaptable" survives. And while the weak tend to be rewarded, Survivor winners can be physically strong. Ethan was much stronger than MamaKim and post-diarrhea Lex. And Brian took the weakest tribemates into F4 with him.

It is interesting that now that Amber has won, the Female/Male winner ration is now 5-3 in favor of the women. And of those women, most (if not all) of them were weak and poor challenge contenders.

<<Additionally, I said from day one that MB screwed up by spreading out the winners. He should've had the winners all on one tribe so they could hide their collective "weak gazelle" status in this game by hiding out in the "strength in numbers" collective.>>

Amen, brother! That was a MAJOR flaw in how this game was mapped out. Keep the same challenges and twists, even. Just keep the winners and near winners together. Take Shii Ann and maybe Lex or Kathy off of Mogo Mogo and replace them with Tina and Ethan. Even if the Mogos become the team to beat, at least they don't keep getting picked off so fast.

<<It made perfect sense then that Chapera would dominate the challenges since they had the most players who actually cared about winning the game. Coming into this game you could argue that no two people had more to prove this time around than RobM and Amber.....RobM didn't even make the jury and Amber was regarded as the dumbest player ever to make the jury. ShiA didn't make the jury either, but at least she can claim she got screwed by an unforseen twist.>>

Chapera (and Shii Ann) definitely had the most to prove. And Shii definitely would have gotten farther had there not been a fake merge. She definitely would have made F6, maybe pulled out an immunity when she needed it. She may have even gotten Ted, Helen, and Jan to open their eyes. Then again, she couldn't get Alicia, Tom, Rupert, and Jenna to open their eyes either. Ok, so she's stuck at F6 in Thailand now.

Rob was a dumb player in S4. He was a big mouth then, and he's a big mouth now. Only difference is that Rotu was a stronger tribe than Mogo Mogo. Rotu wouldn't shoot itself in the foot like the Mogos did. And that's why Rob lasted longer: because his tribe lasted longer. Plus as I already stated, Rob was the undisputed leader of a tribe of followers; they'd be too lost without Rob.

Amber definitely had something to prove, and she proved it. Good job, Amber!

Posted by toddE on 05-11-04 at 05:38 PM
I just want to say that I really liked the way you pointed out the difference between strength and adaptability. It irks me to no end to see post after post saying that only the strong guys deserve to do well. If that is the case, why bother casting anyone except strong guys? I also like the way you point out that both strong-challenge and weak-challenge players have done well. And now that the S1 DVD is out, I must review because I don't really remember Rich as a strong-challenge player. That season, the strong-challenge player (KellyW) was female, and didn't win (but did do quite well).

Posted by emydi on 05-11-04 at 05:33 PM
Additionally, I said from day one that MB screwed up by
spreading out the winners. He should've had the winners
all on one tribe so they could hide their collective
"weak gazelle" status in this game by hiding out in
the "strength in numbers" collective.

He should have based the teams on how each one was voted in his/her respective season with the "winners" each having a built in F2 alliance

Mogo Mogo

Ethan/Jenna M (both winners and dating)
Rich/Rudy (1st and 3rd S1 alliance)
Tina/Colby (1st and 2nd S2 alliance)

Saboga (the almost wons)

Lex-3
Kathy-3
Rob C-3
Tom-4
Sue-4
Amber-6

Chapera

Rupert 8
Jenna 8
Jerri 8
Alicia 9
Shii 10
Rob M 10

I know my could have beee MM has 4 men and Chap has 2 but 1 was Rudy and Rob M/Rupert's strength could have made up for it.

Would have been much more interesting

emydi

Posted by Brownroach on 05-12-04 at 11:28 AM
I like this distribution, emydi. I actually think the gender imbalances would have been cool. Cesterweenie being on Saboga also neutralizes the lack of a third male in Chapera. And your Mogo Mogo probably would have had the same dynamic as the real Mogo Mogo did, meaning one of the alpha males would likely go early.

Posted by emydi on 05-12-04 at 12:06 PM
Hey watch it BR dont be dissing my Rob--they could have just had Ind. ICs where they quizzed the ##### on S1-7 trivia, etc. Or a Jeff Probst impression IC and Rob would have sailed to victory!!!

I never did like the tribes on ###.... oh well onward and upward to S9

emydi

Posted by BoBoSYD on 05-11-04 at 07:12 PM
Can you just imagnine the power plays had all the winners been put on one team. Now THAT would have been something to watch!

Posted by Scarlett O Hara on 05-27-04 at 10:48 PM
I was surprised at how well Rawb played the game and how the others let him . . . he always booted off his biggest threats first - Rob C., Lex, Kathy, Tom ... He knew who to boot and when to boot them.

I was surprised after all that masterful game playing, how badly Rawb fadda did at the final tribal council. I expected nothing but eloquence from him, and he fell flat on his face!

I was surprised that not one, but TWO survivors quit this game -- making them the lowest of the low bottom dwellers!

I'm not surprised that I'm still a huge fan!

Scarlett

Posted by JonBGone on 05-12-04 at 03:04 AM
What surprised me are two things:

1) Jerri is so negative, it seemed that each of the two tribes she joined were in-fighting and losing challenges. Why didn't any of the contestants recognize that she was a net loser for the tribe and boot her sooner.

2) Lex, who pretends to know the game, said he was playing for the merge by voting off his most competitive tribemates (Colby, Ethan). He seemed to miss that fact that the tribe that loses the challenges is outnumbered after the merge and would be pagonged. It surprised me that a supposedly strategic player did not realize the simple math.

You are better off being on the tribe with the greatest numbers when merge time comes. And if you go in with a strong alliance of four, you have a very good chance of it becoming the final four. That is the simple reason why Rob, Amber, Rupert and Jenna made it. No great strategy, they just had the numbers.

Of course this is just my opinion, and I might be wrong.

"silver platter editing"
Posted by steppingrazor42 on 05-12-04 at 12:58 PM
I was shocked that the All Star version of this game had a silver platter editing style to it (meaning most outcomes were practically handed to us). I personally don't care for this style and wish that things could've been at least a little more "unpredictable" for the A*SS edition.

Kathy shocked me, I thought she'd be smarter than to trust Rob, just in knowing him and his game style from the past.

The people they picked as All-Stars were shocking as well, I didn't like that people were choosen because they were "characters" rather than great players (Jerri,Amber,Jenna,Alicia). And the way the teams were put together.....they didn't seem even or fair really.

Lex was surprising, I do agree with his argument, but he's too bitter for being such a self proclaimed great player.

In general it was a not so shocking season, I'm excited to start speculating about S9.

"RE: silver platter editing"
Posted by Thaibeach on 05-14-04 at 07:29 AM
"Silver Platter Editing" is a great term for this uber-boring season.

I am so glad this cr*p season is finally done. Instead of feeling withdrawal as I usually do when a Survivor season ends, all I feel is relief. I hope S9 is better. (Hard to imagine it being worse.)

dreading the inevitable broadcast of tacky Romber nuptials

Posted by DRONES on 05-18-04 at 06:19 AM
"1) The 3 worst selections for the All Star game were Amber, Jenna L and Shi Ann - I think just about all of you would have agreed with that before the game began. However, they finished 1st, 3rd and 6th respectively. Each of them landed up being the last person standing from their original tribe. Both Amber and ShiAnn won important Immunity Challenges when their very survival in the game was on the line. Amber even wins the whole thing"

Some where in all of this there is a theory. We've seen the same thing in every survivor. I'm not talking about a player who is just physically weak, but also has a weak game strategy or no strategy at all. These weak players are vulnerable in the multiple tribe situation but are given a pass at the merge while the strong players take each other out.

DRONES

Posted by geekboy on 05-20-04 at 12:20 PM
The one thing that shocked/surprised me is the same thing that shocks me with every new season, but with AllStars it shocked me more.

That is how almost all of the players didn't seem to learn anything about the game, and still came in a played a stupid game, trusted people, kept alliances, and didn't bring anything new to the game.

Rob definately learned how to play. Amber too. But Colby, Jerri, Kathy, Lex, Rudy, Tom.... on and on.

They didn't bring their game with them. I was disappointed. I thought it would be more cut throat, more alliance swapping (a'la Rob) but it wasn't. I think this is why i found the season quite boring.

geekboy

Posted by LookeeLoo on 05-20-04 at 08:42 PM
mkay... LOL, I believe I said something like "I'll say it once and I wont say it again, there's no way Rupert is on #####." LOL Yeah, I was surprised by this as I didn't think he'd have enough time between shows to make it fair. But hey, it's not about fair, its about ratings!

Also surprised about the lack of game play by most players.

A Slicey original

Posted by Capn2patch on 05-28-04 at 12:48 PM
Don't jump to the end of this post right away, but I'll tell you what surprises me most at the end. It's my opinion that we just witnessed a classic Survivor and saw a master at play. Rob truly was a master pupetteer. But something is missing... Originality. It has a lot to do with the weekly format. 1st 20 mins, the morning after, some banter, island life, sometimes a bit of misdirection for TC. Next 10 mins, RC, next segment is more misdirection for TC, then finally TC.

I'm not MB by any stretch of the imagination but miss a season, miss a lot? Not really. How many times would you go see "Othello" with a different cast. Once a week? Season afer season?

What surprises me most is that there are 25 million people still watching Survivor week after week under it's "still" unchanged format. Something has to give, otherwise Survivor is doomed to fail.

Two-Patch