URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID4
Thread Number: 5200
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Once Again I Can't Grasp The Fear..."

Posted by BrassFan on 02-28-13 at 10:54 AM
of a hidden immunity idol...

The main group has an opportunity to get rid of a hidden idol with 100% certainty...and they don't...because they are afraid of it??

Why split the votes between Hope and Eddie? If you split them between Hope and Reynold, then you get rid of the idol, and thre is NOTHING Reynold can do about it.

--He plays it for himself, Hope goes home, and he loses the idol.
--He plays it for Hope, Reynold goes home, and the idol is gone.
--He doesn't play it, Reynold goes home, and the idol is gone.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Once Again I Can't Grasp The Fear..."
Posted by tribephyl on 02-28-13 at 04:10 PM
A closeup of the necklace might explain why...

Just kidding. I can't figure out why they split the vote either. My only guess is that they wanted to cover their bases if Reynold gave his idol away ONLY.
I do have to admit though, that by causing a 3-way tie, they ended up removing 2 votes from the minority group, paving the way for an easy pretty-person boot on the re-vote. Good thing they discussed how to vote AFTER a tie.

Posted by television on 03-01-13 at 11:31 AM
It seemed to me more of a case that Reynold pretty much single-handedly won them their only challenge, and he's been better than anyone on their tribe, so getting rid of him would be bad at this point. They can always split the votes his way and flush out the idol next vote if need be, between him and Eddie. I would have done the same thing.

Posted by michel on 03-03-13 at 02:38 PM
You got it right, television. They wanted the idol out but not Reynold. Splitting the votes wasn't necessary because it would be foolish to give the idol to Hope but it does show Reynold he doesn't have any wiggle room. Someone should now go to Reynold and tell him: "If you want to stay, give me your idol!"

Posted by BrassFan on 03-06-13 at 10:08 AM
>You got it right, television.
>They wanted the idol out
>but not Reynold.

Well...then they're just as stupid. Splitting the vote secretly between Hope and Eddie doesn't in any way encourage Reynold to play his idol. If they want the idol gone, they need to somehow convince Reynold that he's on the block.

>Splitting
>the votes wasn't necessary because
>it would be foolish to
>give the idol to Hope

It would be, *IF* they split the votes. But, if everyone was voting for her, that gives Reynold all the power. He basically becomes the person who decides who goes home. He can let Hope go, or he can decide to get rid of whomoever he chooses.

>Someone should now go
>to Reynold and tell him:
>"If you want to stay,
>give me your idol!"

Now, *that* would be interesting...and it might have worked last week. This week, not so much. If they go to tribal, he knows that it's either him or Eddie, so giving up the idol only buys him 3 more days, if the other person stays true to their word. He's guaranteed 3 more if he plays it at tribal, so there's no real incentive to give it to someone.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 03-06-13 at 01:15 PM
It's still fine because once Hope left after the revote, it's still a 6-2 split and it's even easier to get Reynold out whenever it's needed as it's just him and Eddie against the majority of six which once again could be split into two groups of three. They'll just keep splitting the vote until Reynold plays it or they no longer need him with an impending merge coming.

The majority alliance is still firmly in control even if someone from that majority alliance should leave tonight because of a medical evacuation (we're shown on TV that there will be a medical evac tonight).

It's basic Survivor 101 - take out the weaker players and keep the stronger ones around if you're down in numbers to the other tribe. You can't bank on a tribal swap to happen, so you've got to play as if it's going to be a tribal battle until the merge, and if you're down at the merge, you might as well pack your bags for the jury.

Posted by BrassFan on 03-06-13 at 02:30 PM
What I'm saying is...

I get using the split vote to protect against him using the idol.

I don't get saying that you're doing it to flush out the idol. You're splitting the vote between two people who don't have an idol. The person with the idol has absolutely zero incentive to play it.

If you want to flush out the idol, you have to make that person think that they are the target, so that they will play the idol. Or, make them think that you are all voting for one person, so that he will play the idol to save that person, and that gets rid of the idol.

Posted by michel on 03-06-13 at 05:58 PM
"I don't get saying that you're doing it to flush out the idol.

Reynold has to play the idol before the votes are revealed. If the alliance keeps quiet then he'd have no idea if he is a target. So splitting the votes was a precaution against Reynold playing it for himself, for Eddie or for Hope. No matter what, Reynold never gets power to decide anything.

Posted by michel on 03-06-13 at 06:03 PM

>Now, *that* would be interesting...and it
>might have worked last week.
> This week, not so
>much. If they go
>to tribal, he knows that
>it's either him or Eddie,
>so giving up the idol
>only buys him 3 more
>days, if the other person
>stays true to their word.
> He's guaranteed 3 more
>if he plays it at
>tribal, so there's no real
>incentive to give it to
>someone.

It could still work if they promise him more than 3 days. Reynold would have to decide: Gamble by giving someone the idol and showing that you trust that person or wait for the inevitable.