URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID77
Thread Number: 520
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"10/11/06 Episode"

Posted by weltek on 10-12-06 at 09:53 AM
Ok, I was in the seeming minority that liked last week's episode. This week? I was disappointed. We didn't get anything to chew on.

There were some LOL Sawyer & Kate moments. I'm sure the Jin & Sun story will eventually have more significance.

I think the major questions that are building for me right now are (besides the larger "WTF?" about this whole plane crash/purpose):
1) What are the Others building?
2) Why are the Others still on the island? By choice or by bad luck?
3) Did Walt & Michael really go back home?
4) The young woman talking to Kate & young dude from the cage...there's something more to that I think.

-A Spooky Seana Sig

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: 10/11/06 Episode"
Posted by michel on 10-12-06 at 10:20 AM
LAST EDITED ON 10-12-06 AT 10:22 AM (EST)

I'll put in my thoughts on those questions:

1) A utopic society where everyone is good? They can't have children which would explain why to go after them. The plan to send Ethan and Goodwin was so quickly put in motion that they seem to expect castaways.

2) If (1) is even close to where the writers are going then it is by choice. Ben's "all my life" comment didn't seem to have any trace of regret.

3) Season 4 or next spring at the earliest for this one, I guess

4) The young woman talking to Kate was Alex, the frenchwoman's daughter. After helping the pregnant Lostie last season and now talking to Kate, it is evident that she hasn't been completely assimilated. For that matter, Juliette seems like someone that was also captured and broken. Her facial expressions when confronted to Ben show both repulsion and acceptance. Kate is being led down the same path.

Posted by mrc on 10-12-06 at 10:31 AM
There were no OMG moments for me, but I found two things especially interesting.

1. Sun lied about the glass ballerina. How does that tie in with her current arc? Is she one of those people who keeps secrets to save herself from confrontation?

2. Ben's comment that he had lived his entire life on the island was intriguing. The Others' seeming ability to leave the island, yet choice to stay is also puzzling. (Jack's reaction to the Red Sox was hilarious!)

I'm wondering how Dharma ties in to this whole deal. I sincerely hope that the writers aren't spinning out of control, because there are lots of loose ends to tie together before this whole thing is over.

Posted by emydi on 10-12-06 at 10:47 AM
I liked last nite's ep better than the first one that was "JUST JACK" (Will and Grace anyone? )

I don't mind all the questions or even waiting for the answers, but I too am afraid that the writers may be spinning out of control and not even know the answers themselves...that could lead to problems imo

The last part about Bush Reeve and Bo Red Sox was great. Now I'll have to keep my eye out on anything that is post 2004 that gets put into the show by mistake. Hopefully the writers/producers will be careful!

Jack's reaction was, imho, the first real ha ha funny not even a little bit ha ha weird moment in Lost's history. I thought it was a great ending...My vote is let Jack go home

Though, if they make Juliette another Kate (ie Jack and Sawyer both have whatever for her) I think I will have to spit.

Posted by weltek on 10-13-06 at 12:58 PM
LOL! *Does 'Just Jack' pose*

-A Spooky Seana Sig

"Jack's reaction"
Posted by Chez on 10-15-06 at 03:54 AM
I think Jack's reaction to the RedSox video was that he found inspiration not to give up.

Posted by udg on 10-12-06 at 11:47 AM
I thought Sun's lie about the ballerina was an obvious start for the mini-arc for that episode. It was, the first time Sun ever told a lie, and it brought us through her affair and back around to Sayid asking, "And what would you know about lying?" The connection was almost Star Trek in its bash-you-over-the-head-ness.

Whether there's a connection on a grander scale remains to be seen. This episode could simply have been the catharsis that allows a more genuine reconciliation between Sun and Jin. On the other hand, this is Lost; it could have a much bigger significance.

Slice n' Dice's Sigpic Chop Shop 2004

Posted by Fishercat on 10-12-06 at 11:52 AM
I thought it was an awesome eppy.

A superior episode that avoided one of the problems that have tripped up some Lost eps: uneven layers. Basically, a lot of episodes have scenes you want to see, then either bad/annoying stories or filler scenes. I don't think a single flashback was wasted, the dueling storylines were balanced well between Jin/Sun/Sayid and Kate/Sawyer. They resolved each side pretty well while keeping consistant with the themes.

The flashbacks were very good, they had action, storyline progression (one option for Sun's child...), and showed a great side of Jin IMO.

Well, the end scene made this episode from a 7 or 8 to a nine for me. Seriously, what an AWESOME ending. WOW!

"the actress who got shot???"
Posted by shakes the clown on 10-12-06 at 12:26 PM
The actress that Sun shot, what is her name???? She is very famous and I've seen her a million times but its killing me that I can't remember who she is.

"RE: the actress who got shot???"
Posted by Snidget on 10-12-06 at 12:43 PM
Ok, I'm going on what is posted here as I haven't seen it on the DVR, yet

Colleen was the one that was shot?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0847791/fullcredits
lists Paula Malcomson as the actress playing that role.

Here IMDB entry http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0539155/ has a lot of roles.

Does that sound right? I would be more certain if I saw the episode and could ID her from a picturel

Posted by Dunard2 on 10-12-06 at 12:36 PM
I liked the ep.

I don't think Jae jumped though. Jin was sitting in the car for a while waiting for Jae to arrive -- plenty of time for Sun to get to the hotel and into the room. The opening scene showed what little Sun was capable of. When she shot Colleen (?), it showed what big Sun is capable of.

They want us to believe he jumped, until a later episode when we see the same flashback from Sun's point of view -- and we'll see her push him.

As for what Benry and the Others want? I think they may ask for "donations". Let's face it . . . there's only so much variety in the gene pool when it comes to the Others. If they want to continue their existence on the island (i.e., their "lineage"), they may need some new DNA. Ewwww.

Shakes -- I think this is her --> http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0539155/

She was Trixie in Deadwood --> http://www.hbo.com/deadwood/cast/character/trixie.shtml

Posted by HobbsofMI on 10-12-06 at 12:41 PM
I think her dad had a back up plan to Jin.....Sun shooting the Other....she's seen what Ethan could do and heard what Goodwin did...and if they got there she knew Jin could be dead so it was revenge that was feeding her.

sig by Syren and bouncy by IceCat

Posted by shakes the clown on 10-12-06 at 01:00 PM
>She was Trixie in Deadwood --> http://www.hbo.com/deadwood/cast/character/trixie.shtml

Thats it! Of course! Thank you, now I'm not being driven crazy anymore. No wonder why she looked and sounded so familiar, I watched Deadwood religiously.

Posted by HobbsofMI on 10-12-06 at 12:37 PM
LAST EDITED ON 10-12-06 AT 12:44 PM (EST)

I loved it too....It did answer that maybe Jin is not the babies father and then maybe there is less mystic powers....

Ben heard everything that Sawyer was saying to Kate....including that Juliette would kill thus if they make a break for it Sawyer will have to take her out....so will Ben warn her or maybe without her he'll have all the power.

I wonder about their contact with the outside world.....the TV's and equipment seem like the 60's and 70' but its 2004....why not upgrade, etc.

I think of the answer of what they are building goes to the Robert Redford movie about a military prison with Tony Sapporo running it and the wall in the yard. It's something to break them down, keep them busy, and control their prisoners/rule breakers.

I think that are there by choice and I don't know why yet....I suspect that it's a Utopia thing/perfect society thing.

I don't think Michael or Walt are listed in any of the credits so we'll have to wait a season.

I think the kid was a rule breaker...and they were trying to reprogram him...

I wonder how the Other got by Jin and Sayid and on the boat without them seeing them.....

I wonder how the Others are going to react to Sun shooting one of them…

Lots of thoughts....and I can't wait for next week...it looks more comical then anything else.

Posted by idiotcowboy on 10-12-06 at 12:59 PM
Another good tight storyline, glad it wasn't just Sun/Jin/Sayid, but also gave us more of the Jack/Kate/Sawyer story too. I think there is a huge risk in revealing the Others, kinda like the monster never looks as scarey once you see it in a horror movie. Who are they, what are they doing there, and what is their motivations in regards to the plane crash victims needs to be really fleshed out or I'm concerned we may wind up going nowhere like we did much of season two.

The Sun flashback was interesting in a couple of points. One that she lied despite knowing it would bring consequences to someone else. It was also a little bit surprising that she actually had an affair with Jae, and that was not who she was running off to see in America (not that she was necessarily running to anyone as much are running away from her life, but there was that theory that she was running to something as much as running away from something). Then it was interesting that she would actually shoot the Other girl, something her husband could not do to the guy who had dishonored the family (although I'm not sure he would have hestitated had he known the "how" he had dishonored the family).

A friend and I had a debate about the whether Jae killed himself or not. I had originally thought someone else had been sent to finish the job should Jin be unable to complete it, and that it wasnt a coincidence that he landed on Jin's car (a message from Mr. Paik). My friends contention was the pearls led them to believe he jumped of his own accord due to the shame it brought to his family or the fact that if he followed through on the demand he would loose Sun. I was definately swayed to that point of view, but it wasnt my initial reaction. Curious if anyone else thought it one way or another and why.

I guess the whole contact with the outside world question was answered, they definately have it. What was not definatively answered was whether they in fact have all the information they claim to. It's one thing to be able to get pop culture news and another to compile a dossier on each person who was on the plane. I'm starting to wonder if they dont though since the Other girl Colleen appeared to know who Sun is and called her by her full name. Although clearly she was wrong in her assessement of whether Sun would shoot her.

The whole Sawyer/Kate work camp was odd, I got the feeling they want them to escape. There was no point to the task or rules in general other than to tick them off. I guess it could be a means to try to break them, but if they wanted to do that I think they should work them seprately. Anyone think Sawyer wouldn't flip at the offer Ben gave Jack? He would probably go and put a bullet in Freckles if he truly believed it would get him off the island. I still dont buy the Carl (aka Chachi) was being punished thing, but perhaps he and Alex (crazy French lady's daughter that helped Claire last season and talked with Kate last night) are rebelling from the Others and its legit. My personal view is Alex will be the means of the Kate/Sawyer escape, but whether she really is helping them, or working for the Others (even if its in a manner similar to what Michael was doing ) is highly debatable.

Finally Juliet is fascinating, I wonder if Sawyers assesment was correct or not that she would have killed Kate. He certainly seemed to think she would, and I halfway expected him so say "go ahead" to call her bluff. It will be interesting to see a backstory on Juliet and Henry as well, and I do think they were a couple now at one point in time. Definately not now, but the relationship has an icey undertone despite their ability to work together.

It will be nice to see what happened at the hatch next week, I expect the Kate/Jack/Sawyer story will be on the back burner while we deal with the fall out of the hatch destruction. Looks like a Locke episode from the previews... bring it on!!!

-ICB

Posted by michel on 10-12-06 at 01:34 PM

The Sun flashback showed that one more of the Losties wasn't a "Good Person." How many are left that could be considered good? How long before we are down to only Rose?

Posted by HobbsofMI on 10-12-06 at 01:43 PM
I thought for a second that the pearls meant he did it himself....but in mob hits it is not unusual to have a message sent to others then just killing you. Sun's dad saw the pearls so I think it was part of the hit but I could be wrong.

Posted by miamicatt on 10-12-06 at 03:55 PM
Other theories floating about are saying that Sun killed him herself.

Posted by HobbsofMI on 10-12-06 at 04:15 PM
I don't think Sun saw the file that Jin brought home....so how would she know....and why would she go to the funeral and cry....

Posted by tvgeek401 on 10-12-06 at 08:41 PM
I think that from her facial expression, Sun did know that Jin was sent to kill Jae. Her father found them the day he gave Jin his 'assignment'.
However, I don't think Sun killed him.

--gotta love Tribe and his awesome siggies!

Posted by SurvivaBear on 10-13-06 at 01:28 AM
I believe that they needed "a list" from Goodwin and Ethan so they could prepare the dossiers on each of the survivors. I definitely get the impression that they are looking for the "good ones" and they are quite accustomed to have new arrivals on the island. They seemed to be quite prepared with all the disguises and cover stories. So they live on an island utopia that has somewhat frequent newcomers, but they only accept the "good ones", and then only after they have been properly schooled. Seems that Michael and Walt have been ruled out as good ones. From Ben's offer to Jack, I think they have determined that he is not a keeper either. Is Kate a possible keeper and are they grooming her to join their group?

I keep going back to the French woman and the "sickness" she observed. Is the sickness part of the island's defenses or the result of the others' brainwashing gone awry? Does she know Alex is still alive and does Alex know her mother is still alive? I hope, before this season is over, that they bring the issues from Season 1 (i.e. The Black Rock, the Monster, the Polar Bears and pigs, the sickness, and Rousseau) back and incorporate them into the story about the others.

Beware the Bear

Posted by winter999 on 10-13-06 at 10:32 AM
We should assume for the present that the "Lost Experience" is canon (since they advertised clues during Lost). Given that several reveals that were given to the online community, these same reveals will show up later on TV. Someone else can be specific about the two main spoilers, but I'll say that there's something related to the sickness (a VERY BAD sickness).

Now, I would bet money that the Others are Darhma scientists that have become infected and cannot leave the island for fear of a pandemic (makes you think that Michael and Walt are not meant to get home!). I would bet that everyone on the island is exposed. I also think that Ben's "we're the good guys" statement reflects that they are trying for a cure or containment for the VERY BAD sickness. I think the whole island is quarantined.

Theory: The magnetic properties of the island (shown as visual in addition to purely magnetic) bends radar, visual, and compass so that the island is invisible from the rest of the world, however is as real and solid as any place on earth.

Strong Theory: In order for the others (Goodwin and Ethan) to get to the crash sites, there must be a subway system. We know there's something major downbelow.

Looking forward to the return of the monster next week!!!!!

Posted by zombiebaby on 10-12-06 at 06:19 PM
I am now in the camp that none of our Lostaways are good. I would be willing to bet that all have contributed to the death of someone. Maybe the Others are really the good ones.

I did not get to see much of this episode. Our satellite kept going out from around 9:20-9:45 then again at the very end.
Is this episode going to be replayed this week?

A PhoenixMons Creation

Posted by Snidget on 10-12-06 at 08:49 PM
I think you can see them for free on ABC.com, I don't think it will be on the air. Just checked www.abc.go.com and it looks like this week's LOST is up.

Posted by trigirl on 10-13-06 at 08:54 AM
I was shouting at my TV during the episode....Sun pushed him....Sun pushed him. I don't think we have seen the end of that storyline.

I think that Alex and Carl, who are much younger than the other Others(!), were not born there and thus not as easily controlled.

I don't want it to end. Only four more episodes before the mini-hiatus.

Posted by beachfreak on 10-13-06 at 12:44 PM
have you guys seen this website http://www.LOSTisaGame.com

i think this dude is right

you should check it out

Posted by HobbsofMI on 10-13-06 at 01:12 PM
And you should check out the Spam Vikings or Rory the sheepdog....

Posted by weltek on 10-13-06 at 01:11 PM
The majority of the Losties have figurative or literal "blood on their hands." Some don't...such as Rose and Claire. So was the plane filled with equal amounts of good vs. bad people...and the Others doing experiements with the "bad" and want to incorporate the "good" into their society?

Maybe it's a simple experimental question of: How do good people become bad and how do bad people become good and testing limits of what people will do. The island could have had an animal test group for the same purpose. Maybe they were "good" and "bad" animals in their previous settings, but were tested on the island.

QUESTION: Did Jin tell Jae to flee to the U.S. specifically? I thought he did. That's odd...wouldn't it just be "flee the country?" in general as a threat? Why specify the U.S.

-A Spooky Seana Sig

"New thoughts"
Posted by moonbaby on 10-13-06 at 01:26 PM
LAST EDITED ON 10-13-06 AT 01:28 PM (EST)

(My new thoughts, anyway, lol).It was pretty odd to find that Ben has been on the island his whole life…but he didn't say he was there the entire time by choice. Wondering if for any part of that life he was there as a prisoner or subject of any experiments. Could be that some of the people who are there now may have been subjects of experiments in the past and are pretty much stuck there due to some inablility to leave or interact with the general population for whatever reason (such as the pandemic metioned above). Could also explain why they take children as opposed to having their own. Maybe they are not able to.

Speaking of children, where the heck are they?

"Bears did it faster..."
Posted by udg on 10-13-06 at 02:04 PM
One of the captors made a comment to Sawyer that the "bears" figured out the food puzzle faster. Could they have been polar bears?

Slice n' Dice's Sigpic Chop Shop 2004

"RE: Bears did it faster..."
Posted by HobbsofMI on 10-13-06 at 02:14 PM
That could be the answer for how they got there....Alex said that they should not be in those cages.....wonder what she ment by that....

Posted by blacknwhitedog on 10-13-06 at 05:26 PM
Losties that killed Others

Ana Lucia killed Goodwin
Mr. Eko killed a few on the beach
Charlie shot Ethan
Sun shot the woman on the boat (maybe dead or not)

any significance?

2005 PhoenixMons

Posted by Das Mole on 10-13-06 at 11:51 PM
Haha I feel exactly the opposite way. I didn't like last week's, and this week I loved the episode.

(1) I can't stand Juliette, she seems incredibly fake in her "good" intentions toward the Losties. But I love watching her character show up in random places, she's kinda creepy and I like it.

(2) Sun shot the girl (Colleen)! Yesssss!! That's so exciting.

(3) Henry Gale pisses me off with his deranged eye-twitching maniacal glare that he gives on occasion. I'm glad we got to learn something about him.

Not necessarily looking forward to next week, as I can't stand Charlie or Locke. But we'll see. Hopefully we'll actually get to see exactly what happened with the hatch, but knowing Lost, I highly doubt that we'll get the full picture.

das is emo.

Posted by CattyChat on 10-14-06 at 10:44 AM
Loved this episode, but I love Sun & Jin and was happy to see more of their past revealed. I knew Jin was not a killer and it was great to see how things unfolded and with Sun telling Jin they could leave a start a new life together away from her father. Sun definitely knew Jin was sent to take care of Jae, without looking at the file. There is no way I believe Sun finished the job with Jae, either. I believe Jae jumped, as a result of the "dishonorable" thing he did and that was why he held the pearls. Jae couldn't live with the guilt, especially when being spared by Jin. Honor is a big deal in their culture. Sun wasn't a killer until she was backed into a corner by the "other" woman. I'm glad she shot her . . . no reason any of them would trust the others after all that has happened so far. Sun's survival instincts took over.

Also, I believe Jin is definitely the father of Sun's baby. After all, it's the "island" that heals people, so she could not have been healed to be able to get pregnant until after they crashed on the island. However, I doubt Sun has put that together and is guilt ridden with the possibility that Jin isn't the father. Does she keep the secret & continue lying to Jin or will she break down and tell him?

Juliette is creepy and plays her part well & now I know of a reason she bugs me -- she resembles Meredith from (Grey's) whom I loathe -- same mouth, I think. They could be sisters. She is obviously the diabolical one & I thought it was interesting that Sawyer noted Juliette would have shot Kate without hesitation.

The cages, the fish biscuits & the chain gang is pretty ridiculous, but it's nice to have something to laugh at once in awhile. I wanted to ring Ben's wormy neck when they showed him listening & watching in on Sawyer's plan of action.

Next week's ep looks good and we finally get to see what happens after the explosion. Hurley and his "the explosion blew off your underwear, dude" comment was hilarious.

Kind Creation of ARNutz