URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID85
Thread Number: 519
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"What a great season of Contender! Don't change!"

Posted by SOTellItLikeItIsFan on 09-27-06 at 11:56 AM
I love this season of The Contender. Last season was a little boring to me though with all those celebrities but this season had many likable, memorable boxers that I think with their new found fame will probably have their boxing matches broadcast on TV along with publicity and bigger pay days that most never had before.

I hope to see great things with Norberto Bravo, Cornelius KP Bundrage, Rudy Cisneros, Freddy Curiel, Nick Acevedo, Michael Stewart, and Andre Eason. I love the Blue Team. They were considered the underdogs against the Yellow Team who supposedly had the best but the Blue Team dominated the competitions proving don't judge a book by it's cover. I think we all could relate to them. They were regular guys with a heart of gold. I hope the sudden fame and exposure doesn't go to their head because most of the boxers aren't use attention and they'll end up making fools of themselves in the ring because they partied and was giving interviews instead of training. That's the downfall of many boxers.

I hope next season will have more younger boxers and not older. Rudy Cisneros and Walter Wright were the youngest on the show and they didn't get far because the chose the wrong fights. I would like to see young, upcoming boxers not has beens or people who had a shot because they ruin the show. I feel Forbes had it's chance who shouldn't of been on the show.

A lot of the boxers on the show were older and at the age where most boxers retire but for many of the older boxers this was like their last hurrah. They wanted the deserved big pay day and exposure they never had. I was surprised that Grady Brewer and Steve Forbes were the final 2. Rudy, Bravo, K9, Nick, and Freddy could have made it had they picked the right fights picking the wrong person to fight is what made many lose. I really didn't like Forbes or Grady Crybaby Brewer but Grady was considered the underdog from the beginning and he proved everyone wrong and to not judge a book by it's cover. At least next years Contender will have faces from this season showing up to give advice to the boxers. I'm sick of seeing Sergio Mora.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: What a great season of Contender! Don't change!"
Posted by Joanne36 on 09-27-06 at 03:30 PM
I agree and disagree with some of your posts. I think age shouldn't matter as some of the older boxers outsmarted the younger. Why should their be an age limit? You call Grady Brewer a crybaby? Well I thought he showed the most heart. He never boasted or brag about what he could do, he just went in there and gave it his best shot and never gave up. The only time I saw him cry was when he won and who wouldn't have cried. To go from working 12hrs day in a tire factory to $500,000 for one fight and a life of endless possibilities. I'm glad he won it all because he deserved it. He didn't pick any of his battles; they they picked him to fight because they thought he would crumble, but he didn't won it all. CONGRATULATIONS BREWER!!

Posted by Wacko Jacko on 09-27-06 at 05:03 PM
The initial poster says he liked this season of the Contender and did not want them to change than rattled off many ideas for changing the show.

I myself like the format, but think last season was a little better. I was able to watch last season with my wife and this season she lost interest. I think they cut a lot of the human interest side out....still had some but not as much as last season. I think this was done because the show now appears on ESPN and has a larger male audience than NBC. On NBC they tried to get in some non-boxing fans.

I also, don't see why you call Brewer a crybaby. That comment came out of left field.

As far as you other comments. I like the old boxers too, because the older boxers treasure this opportunity much more they realize this may be there last hurrah. They have struggled so many years to get recognition and some money for their families. With younger boxers many probably won't be married and have kids. They will also be more cocky and not realize the opportunity they were handed.

I like seeing the celebrities and I like seeing Sergio, Peter, Alfonzo etc. I would still like to see them next season along with some people from this season. Hey, they should have K9's son on next season too, that kid was hilarious. LOL.

Posted by reds on 09-27-06 at 11:23 PM
this was a great season but I miss the challenges of the first season. they added another dimension of competition and spiced up the first half of the show.

one improvement this season was to not have the youngest children of the boxers there watching the match at ringside. I don't mind having the kids say 10 and up, but the little ones, who sometimes seemed to be as young as three years old, shouldn't have been there. they might have understood on one level that dad is a boxer, but I can't believe that it wasn't difficult for them to watch their fathers getting hit. the children's presence thus was was distracting for me. I'm guessing I wasn't the only one who felt that way, seeing that they kept the youngsters out of the arena this year.

one thing I'd like them to do next season is to turn down the mikes on the wives. some of them are just so shrill! and they keep saying the same thing over and over again.

also, during the regular bouts, the corner work between rounds was interesting and helped build the momentum of the fight. that was lost to commercials during the final match. commercials are vital, but I wish they could retain the corner pep talk from the trainer.

Posted by SOTellItLikeItIsFan on 10-09-06 at 08:19 AM
I didn't like Brewer and plus he was looking sad and always saying things like "that brought a tear to my eyes." He always looked teary eyed and could easily be choked up - I now know where his son got that from. Brewer is cool though. He can cry all he wants as long as he delivers the goods.

Most of all the boxers cried which is funny in a way, their tough guys but they'll cry at the drop of a hat - nothing wrong with that.

You people must be old if you want to see older boxers. If your a true boxing fan and know anything about the sport you know a boxer in their 30's is on it's way out. There's not that many years left for them in the boxing game. No one really wants to watch someone in their mid-30's, close to their 40's boxing. We want to see a young, slick, smooth, up-coming boxer.

I guess what I meant by don't change is, I hope the show don't change bringing in entertaining guys who keep it real and have a heart of gold like this season of guys.

Posted by Wacko Jacko on 10-09-06 at 05:39 PM
>You people must be old if
>you want to see older
>boxers. If your a true
>boxing fan and know anything
>about the sport you
>know a boxer in their
>30's is on it's way
>out. There's not that many
>years left for them in
>the boxing game. No
>one really wants to watch
>someone in their mid-30's, close
>to their 40's boxing. We
>want to see a young,
>slick, smooth, up-coming boxer.

The reason the older fighters are better for this show is because they have more of a storyline than the young fighters. They have families. They have fought to put food on the table for their kids. They have struggled for years to get their opportunity. This show is that opportunity. You put young kids on the show. They have fought for what 2 years? This show does not mean as much to the young kids. The young kids probably all think their shot is coming anyways. These guys (older guys) know for many this is their last opportunity. Some have been retired...because they could not make enough money to support their families.

See now that these 16 fighters were on this show they all have an opportunity to make more money than they ever have. I think I read that Grady Brewer for example made $80,000 for all his previous fights combined. Even if Grady hadn't won he could've appeared now on ESPN making at least that much for one fight. Look at the season one fighters. Look at the guys who later fought on ESPN....some opted out of their contracts and were never seen again. This show is amazing for those that have won and lost.

I am not saying they all have to be older guys, but older guys do make better tv. You put on the younger guys believe me you will just see 16 young and cocky boxers all with the same story.....fighting so they can get Bling.