URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID4
Thread Number: 5118
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
""RE;Lost in Translation and the Million Dollar Tears""

Posted by SOAR64 on 12-21-11 at 04:19 PM
This is my first post and I hope that I get it correct. I have been a fan of Survivor since the very first show. Things on the show have changed a lot since then. Some have been good, but a lot have not. I guess you might say that I liked it a lot more then than now. I was so upset with season 22 that I quit watching as well as commenting on the blogs. But since I have read about the changes being made on season 24, I think that I will give it another try. I miss the special relationships I had developed with my fellow Survivor blogers.

I don't have a problem with bringing back previous players, but it should be done in a format which does not include new contestants. All contestants should have the same level of experience in participating on Survivor for it to be a fair contest. Let's save the returning players for "All Star type Shows". I also did not like the idea of a Redemption Island twist. I believe that this was done as a safety net to catch any returning player if they were voted out early in the game. I know it did not work for Russell, but it did give him a second chance to return to the game. I didn't want my first post to appear negative, but I believe that a person can disagree with how the game has mutated and still love to watch it. I knew that Survivor had lost it's edge when one night while watching Survivor in the living room while my wife was watching NCIS in the bed room, she came into the living room and said that she had thought I had fallen asleep because she did not hear the usually yelling and commenting that I had done in the past. Once again it's nice to be able to share my thoughts with others who love Survivor.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: "RE;Lost in Translation and the Million Dollar Tears""
Posted by dabo on 12-21-11 at 04:42 PM
Welcome aboard.

I think Redemption Island is a bad twist, and I think two returning players in a forced rivalry is a bad twist and very unfair to the new players. The combination of two bad twists has been horrible.

Posted by michel on 12-21-11 at 08:06 PM
Welcome aboard Soar,

You will find that many here share your thoughts on this show and its twist. I say that it jumped the shark way back in Cook Islands when Jeff started pulling one twist after another out of his @ss but I still enjoy following it. Since then, only China, Micronesia and Tocantins have truly been entertaining.

As far as "getting it correct", I see you used the title of Iltarion's post so if you wanted to reply to his post specifically, you had to click the reply button under his comments. If you wanted to start a new thread then you proceeded properly but you should have put in a new title.

Posted by SOAR64 on 12-22-11 at 09:20 AM
Hello to you michel. Thanks for the help on posting. For someone like myself who began on a typewriter many years ago before computers were invented, help is much apprecicated. Iltarion, please excuse my mistake. It's nice to learn that others share some of the same thoughts I do about Survivor. I believe that a lot of the changes to the format of Survivor came after Jeff became an executive producer of the show. In the beginning, I always thought of Jeff as one of us (the fans), but after his promotion, he became one of them (Mark Burnett's partner). At that time, Jeff no longer wanted to have the same type of relationship with the fans that he did in the beginning. He no longer listened to what we had to say. He began to think that he knew what was best for Survivor and if the fans did not like it, then that was just to bad. It's sad that Jeff and Mark Burnett have chose to do this. One more thing that bothered me was that at the Reunion show, the way that Jeff presented the $1,000,000.00 check to Sophe. He would have done it differrently if Coach or Ozzy had won.

Posted by michel on 12-22-11 at 07:52 PM
The funniest thing came right after Jeff read the votes and was going to commercial. He invited us to stay tuned because he was going to talk to Ozzy, Cochran, Coach, Brandon and Russell, and, as an aftethought, he added: "Oh! and Sophie won the million dollars"!

But Jeff truly believes he listens to the fans. It's just that he listens to those gushing when they meet him. Beatles at Sucks wrote an open letter that Jeff answered (the only time he ever wrote on Sucks)

http://survivorsucks.com/topic/83779/An-Open-Letter-to-Jeff-Probst-SEG-CBS-Jeff-Responds-p-3

http://survivorsucks.com/topic/83779/An-Open-Letter-to-Jeff-Probst-SEG-CBS-Jeff-Responds-p-3?page=3

(Scroll down for Probst's post)

Posted by iltarion on 12-21-11 at 08:07 PM

I can assure you that blasting the show is completely accepted here.

That is another unfortunate thing about Sophie winning. If Coach wins, I think the point is easily made that the returning players have too big of an advantage for it to be fair.

>