URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID4
Thread Number: 5094
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Survivor- S23 - Love/Hate List - Ep.2"

Posted by iltarion on 09-24-11 at 03:04 AM

Alright, we're back by the demand of no one. Good move by production to go with the 90 minute opener. Very good move. Drama-wise, the first two episodes don't match up to even last season's unspectacular opening, but it was good enough for me to bother watching.

We have two problems: one obvious and one less so. The obvious one is that there is nothing original going on here. The less so issue is that these just aren't dramatic characters to work with. Ozzy never was, and Coach seems to have toned down his "zest for living" significantly.

If there are new cast members who could have carried the load, the editing did a poor job of finding them. It was too busy focusing on the returnees and the better bodies of the cast.

For your ranking pleasure:

Coach Benjamin Wade
Albert Destrade
Brandon Hantz
Christine Shields Markoski
Edna Ma
Mikayla “Miki” Wingle
Rick Nelson
Sophie Clarke
Stacey Powell
Ozzy Lusth
Dawn Meehan
Elyse Umemoto
Jim Rice
John Cochran
Keith Toffefson
Mark Anthony Caruso
Semhar Tadesse
Whitney Duncan

1. Ozzy - The Ozzinator seems to be becoming an even better man with age. I don't know if he is a better player. The proof will come after merge, where the real danger lurks for a strong and charismatic player like him.

2. Edna - An asian woman and an anesthesiologist, two of my favorite things put together. Very smart to get close to Coach right away. Basically playing the complete opposite game of Christine, which means she's playing well.

3. Coach - I've always been a fan. He appears to have toned down his act a little, and that would be a damn shame. It wouldn't be the same if we didn't get some Winston Churchill quotes or comparisons to Julius Caesar. Still, he saw he was in trouble early and quickly recovered. Good work. Somewhere along the line he gained the ability to laugh at himself. That has to be at least somewhat endearing.

4. Cochran - The season so far has produced one character, and this Harvard geek with the beyond pasty skin is it. I especially liked how he seemingly unknowingly insulted the women and the older players by scoffing at the notion of everyone wanting to get rid of him instead. Don't know how long this joker can make it, but I am enjoying the ride so far. He had the best line of the first two episodes with- "If this is 90210, then I'm definitely one of the zeros."

5. Mikayla - Haha... A Lingerie Football Player... props to casting for this one. Actually, fabulous body, as one would expect from someone in her profession, but she should keep her hair down. She was much sexier in her street clothes. She is a little too manly for me, even kinda walks like a dude. However, strong woman, confident, and attractive, have to put her near the top.

6. Ricky Nelson - This traveling man has made a lot of stops. Seems like a good guy and decent at challenges.

7. Elyse - Attractive girl, though probably not as hot as Cochran and Smokey Rice made it sound. Has some spunk. Good enough for here.

8. Albert - Seems strong and a pretty good guy. If I am remembering right...

9. Whitney - Good enough for 9th for obvious reasons.

10. Keith - Like Albert, good guy who is strong in the challenges.

11. Sophie - Still waiting for her to show up. Perfect middle of the road.

12. Jim Rice - He has a lot to say and thinks a lot of himself. I watch pro poker, and I've never seen this joker before, which doesn't say much for his game. A much more successful and well known poker player, Jean Robert, was TERRIBLE at Survivor. So, we'll see if this guy is any better.

13. Dawn - A professor? Typical...

14. Mark - Seems like a decent guy, and was smart enough to recognize that he and Dawn need to stick together, but you NEVER self gloss. Sorry, I don't make the rules. I am just a messenger.

15. Stacy - What was with the hysterics at TC? You WERE thinking of voting for Mikayla. Not long for this game.

16. Brandon - Is there any way we can stop guys like this from breeding? I guess not. No one should be married at 19, and this guy least of all, obviously. The fact he has two tattoos of his own damn last name on his body says about all that needs to be said about this clown.

Get lost and don't come back Island

Semhar - I don't remember any of the other women volunteering. So, why does she get the blame? I would have kept them... er... I mean her.

Christine - Moronic player from Day 1. Way to make enemies from the go. And another teacher. Great.

>

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Survivor- S23 - Love/Hate List - Ep.2"
Posted by Belle Book on 09-24-11 at 04:01 PM
Here are my rankings:

1. Edna -- my favorite so far. She's gotten safe into a very strong alliance. And she reminds me a bit of Kat, another Asian American anethesiologist -- only from TAR. I hope she goes far.

2. Mikayla -- this lingerie football player is not that much like Parvati, even if Brandon thinks otherwise. I feel for her and hope she can overcome being on the outside looking in.

3. Coach -- what a difference two seasons make! I didn't like him in Tocantins and wasn't too fond of him in H v V. I like him much more now. I hope he goes far.

4. Cochran -- he's clearly on the outskirts of his alliance but he's very smart. I hope he goes far as well.

5. Ozzy -- I always liked him and I'm glad he found the Hidden Immunity Idol. But I feel he's a bit cocky and that's bad.

6. Elyse -- I like her most of the rest of the people here.

7. Sophie -- she can speak Russian, and apparently so does Coach. This should help her out.

8. Rick -- pretty nice guy and does well in challenges.

9. Albert -- middle of the road.

10. Whitney -- also middle of the road.

11. Brandon -- he's trying to avoid being like his uncle. That's good. Problem is, he's trying too hard!

12. Keith -- also middle of the road for me.

13. Jim -- it's not a good idea to get too cocky. Ask any cocky contestant who lost.

14. Dawn -- her breakdown doesn't bode too well for her.

15. Papa Bear -- he's weak. Not a good sign.

16. Stacey -- dead woman walking.

On Redemption Island:

Semhar -- true, she stepped up but she also screwed up. Worse, she didn't plot and scheme enough and had a fairly bad attitude. That's why she's on Redemption Island.

Christine -- idiot. I hope she goes first.

Posted by michel on 09-25-11 at 07:17 PM
No One? I was about to send you a special request!
Although I do have a complaint: I don't see much to argue with your list... except for your top 2 of course.

1- Cochran: I simply love this guy. Who knew Woody Allen was a fan of Survivor?! His 90210 quote was good but I also liked: I wasn’t crazy about the idea of going in the water; it’s only going to make me more like the pathetic twerp that I am with my clothes on.
The thing I liked the most though was that, in addition to the funny lines, he gave us something that could be the theme to his story: "What I have to do is focus on the positive, visualize success and get these negative thoughts out of my head.” He has the passion for the game so I think he will find a way to go far

2- Mikayla: She may be as seductive as Parvati but she isn't playing Survivor as if it was a cocktail party. Unfortunately it's put a target on her back but she seems to have rallied Coach to her cause.
BTW: If she is too manly then I must be bisexual...

3- Coach: I miss the laughs that used to come whenever Coach was in a scene but, as a player, this version is much more ready to go far. If he decides to vote out the creepy nephew of the creep he will be my hero.

4- Sophie: She is strong, she is in the alliance and she seems to want Mikayla in that alliance, booting the nephew in the process. That merits a top spot.

5- Mark: Popa bear did a good job to switch the votes away from Ozzy's girl but where did he go in episode 2? I hope his story picks up because he seems to know what needs to be done.

6- Jim: It seems he could be our villain. He's got the arrogance but his confessionals are too mild at the present.

7- Albert: He reminds me of Grant: The guy that could be responsible for his tribe's success pre-merge but a non-factor when it comes to strategy.

8- Edna: I like her but come on: She hasn't done anything to warrant a top spot. Anesthesiologists put people to sleep. We've had enough seasons that have done that to us lately so I'd rather have her make us laugh. Up to now, only her hat has given me a chuckle. As a character she has been extremely flat, toneless and boring. Her game simply consists of being under the radar and that attempted lie to Christine was pathetic.

9- Dawn: She had a story but it disappeared in this episode 2. I still don't know if she will be an early boot like Sandy, a quitter like Kathleen or a long term player like Holly. My preference would be for her to be as funny as Kathleen and then who cares about the rest.

10- Keith: He seems strong and he sees what is going on around him. That makes him better than your average pretty boy but I do hope that he is really going to do something about Ozzy, not just talk about him like Phillip did with Rob.

11- Ozzy: Good grief! This guy has nothing more to offer to Survivor. He was only cast because they didn't want him to interfere with the story of Parvati and Hantz in HvV and when Phillip turned down the opportunity this season. He is as dumb as he ever was, being outwitted at the first occasion by Jim just like he had been by Jonathan and Yul.

12- Whitney: She even looks a bit like Purple Kelly! At least, she hasn't done anything dumb yet.

13- Rick: The same contest that brought us Jimmy T brought us Rick. At least this guy doesn't seem to be as full of himself as the fisherman was but he is much more boring.

14- Elyse: We've had the American Indian Ancestor story already. Was Elyse cast only because Phillip was supposed to be the returning player? If so, it doesn't bode well for her own qualifications.

15- Stacey: She hasn't done much and she won't have a chance to do a whole lot more so why bother putting her any higher. She'll should soon be visiting Redemption Island

16- Brandon: Great, The creep's nephew is proving to be as God-crazy and as retarded in his views about women as a Taliban. Stunt casting at its very worse. His wife must worry about what will happen if he winds up on RI alone with Semhar...

Speaking of which:
Booted - Semhar: You don't step up in episode 1 when everybody is looking for any excuse not to be the first boot. Fortunately, her 3 minutes of airtime up to now as given her a bigger audience than what a hundred poets get in a lifetime.

Christine: She must hold a record because in two episodes she managed to combined the fatal errors of both Francesca and Kristina, stupidly calling out the returning players and making it evident that she was looking for the idol. Dumb.

Thanks Agman!

Posted by Belle Book on 09-25-11 at 09:18 PM
Maybe Edna hasn't done enough, but she's my favorite so that's why I put her in first.

Posted by michel on 09-25-11 at 10:11 PM
Asian women always have many fans and this is a lvoe list so subjectivity is perfectly fine but I was pulling Iltation's chain. It has been a long time since we argued!

I go for the interesting stories and Edna's story is pretty thin. That's all I meant.

Thanks Agman!

Posted by iltarion on 09-25-11 at 11:43 PM

michel, glad to see you are still around. I was getting worried. Haha... you probably think the same of me.

I see your point on Edna, who did tell a pathetic lie to Christine and then couldn't wriggle out of it. I guess, besides the obvious reasons, I am giving her a lot of credit for befriending Coach when everyone else was giving him the cold shoulder. It took guts to do that, and it has ultimately paid off for her. I think she would have easily been in Stacy and Christine's boat if she had not made that move.

If you want an argument, I would say we could debate the merits of Ozzy, who I certainly feel has a lot more to offer the game than a clown like Phillip. Even if he were completely socially and strategically inept, which he isn't, Ozzy is still great at surviving and great at challenges. That is two things better than Phillip, who basically has nothing going for him other than he is a clown.

Sort of the Russell curse that helped bring us Naonka, but if you bring guys like Phillip back solely for just being a crazy character, then you encourage other people to be the biggest fake character possible instead of actually playing the game.

>

Posted by michel on 09-26-11 at 06:22 PM
LAST EDITED ON 09-26-11 AT 07:58 PM (EST)

Can we agree that Ozzy wasn't brought back for his amazing personality or his cunning scheming skills but simply because he was good at challenges?

If you agree that it was his challenge skills that earned him a third chance, why not ask Jason back instead? Jason outplayed Ozzy in individual immunity challenges. Of course, Jason was also a douche so the player I would have asked back instead was Erik Reichenbach. Equally as good in challenges, Erik clearly needed redemption and he was quite funny at the same time:

http://funny115.com/v2/88.htm
http://funny115.com/v2/80.htm
http://funny115.com/v2/66.htm
http://funny115.com/v2/59.htm
http://funny115.com/v2/27.htm

ETA: I'm not saying that Erik is the player I most want to see come back (I actually don't want to see anyone back) but if we were going to have an Ozzy-type player back, Erik would have been a better choice.

Thanks Agman!

Posted by Belle Book on 09-26-11 at 07:57 PM
The "Dumbest Survivor Ever" certainly needed redemption after four women yanked his chain enough that he foolishly gave up the Immunity necklace to Natalie! It still makes me giggle to see Amanda trying to hide a smile and seeing James not even bother trying to hide his laughter!

Posted by Belle Book on 09-26-11 at 04:38 PM
Ah, I forgot about your constant arguments with Ilatrion. Thanks for explaining.

Posted by iltarion on 09-26-11 at 08:46 PM

Are we seriously comparing Erik to Ozzy? I mean, come on now.

Yeah, Erik really dominated when it was him against a bunch of women.

In no way is he in Ozzy's class when it comes to challenges.

Let's not forget that Ozzy was one great move by Yul from winning this game.

Erik was funny because people laughed at his idiocy. If we are bringing idiots back, then there is an even longer line than there is for characters.

>

Posted by michel on 09-26-11 at 10:16 PM
LAST EDITED ON 09-26-11 AT 10:17 PM (EST)

The first challenge of the season was swimming across the lagoon for the immunity idol and Erik won that race. He was always close to Ozzy and Jason and he beat James and Jason on a speed competition. Remember, it was his birthday and the black widow brigade didn't want to vote him out but would have had to if he hadn't won. They got rid of Jason instead.

As for Ozzy coming one vote away from Yul, let's not forget that two jurors (Jenny and Rebecca) had never been in a tribe with Ozzy so their votes were based on nothing more than what they saw at challenges.

I say that Survivor is at its best when it makes us laugh. Amazon was a great season because it was hilarious.

Posted by iltarion on 09-26-11 at 11:19 PM

Right, let's make it a game of comedians.

Amazon was funny though. Funniest season.

>

Posted by michel on 09-27-11 at 08:40 PM
My favorite seasons are: Outback, Marquesas, Amazon, Vanuatu, Guatemala, Exile Island, China, Micronesia and Tocantins. Why? Because they all had interesting game play and they were very funny as well.

Thanks Agman!

Posted by dabo on 09-27-11 at 01:26 AM
01. Edna. Very likeable underdog character, landed in a smart buddy up with a protector position. She's a terrible liar.

02. Cochran. Goofy Survivor nerd, what's not to love. Has gotten his tribe to take him under their wing for the time being, needs to get a real game going.

03. Jim. Duh Mastuhmind. Love that he's playing the game, he could become an overblown ego but so far he's used his powers well, saved Cochran from Ozzy's blindness to feminine wiles.

04. Coach. Playing a smart game for once and trying to build a solid team, go Coach.

05. Mark. If he lasts long enough he may become a real role model.

06. Rick. Cowboy is playing his cards close to the vest, his willingness to assess the situation and not be controlled by preformed notions may serve him well.

07. Elyse. Haven't seen enough of her yet but she seems to be making a good impression with the tribe.

08. Sophie. Don't know enough from her yet, seems like a solid player.

09. Mikayla. Playing a great tomboy game but hasn't made any impressive game moves as yet outside of challenges; handled the political situation of being Brandon's unreasonable target reasonably well but should have pressed for more info.

10. Ozzy. Likeable guy who brings a lot to his tribe but not so good as designated expert/leader, though I thought his handling of the Dawn situation was reasonable.

11. Dawn. Seems to have gotten over her emotional problems.

12. Keith. Haven't seen enough of him but solid in challenges and seems to have connected well with Ozzy.

13. Whitney. Haven't heard enough of her.

14. Albert. Haven't heard enough from him.

15. Stacey. Just not likeable or playing well.

16. Brandon. Juvenile drama queen hobbit.

Redemption Island.

17. Semhar. For someone who is in the word profession she sure isn't very good at it.

18. Christine. Honestly, she's just Kristine from last season all over again, except she only found a clue not the HII.

Posted by michel on 09-27-11 at 07:31 AM
>01. Edna

She's got you too?? Is she an anesthesiologist or a hypnotist?

Thanks Agman!

Posted by dabo on 09-27-11 at 12:21 PM
Feminie wiles voodoo, she has me under her spell! Seriously, she seems like a very nice person, which is rare in doctors, trust me. And she's a terrible liar, not normally good game in Survivor but it makes her perfect for Coach's honesty and integrity game.

Posted by michel on 09-27-11 at 08:37 PM
To paraphrase Iltarion: Right, let's make it a game for nice persons.

Thanks Agman!

Posted by milkachulina on 09-28-11 at 01:02 PM
1) Mikayla: Please drop kick Brandon. Better yet, cut his sack off.

2) Coach: Likable. But, we are only two episodes in. So, I can’t give him love just yet. It appears that he may be interested in reversing public opinion, which has rightfully declared him a mentally unstable freak. I propose that he will not fall short of public expectation before the season is over.

3) Keith: Decent body. Like the red undies.

4) Stacey: I would like to see more from this mortician. Interesting profession. I like her spunk.

5) Albert: Haven’t seen much from him. Thought he was hot, based on the pics. Not so much after all.

6) Elyse, Rick, Sophie, and Whitney: Who?

7) Jim: This guy is so pathetic. In his mind, he is your typical All American stud. In reality, he’s a fat blimp. Just gross.

8) Ozzy: Why is he here? He is only 30, but you can definitely see a decline in his physical performance. The dude is fat (compared to earlier seasons) and moves much slower. We have seen enough of Ozzy. Give him the boot quick.

9) Dawn: How did she manage to escape being voted out? Her meltdown certainly merited the boot. She is unstable. That’s a problem.

10) Mark: Put on some clothes, fatso. I don’t care if you’re a bear. This is not the zoo.

11) Cochran: He gets on my nerves and is the typical young Washington, DC socially inept dysfunctional (but educated) moron. Looks terrible for 24.

12) Brandon: Total Retard. Enough said.

13) Edna: Ugh, I hate this lying heifer. She is so predictable. I can’t wait until she gets hers; lying heifer.

Redemption Island:

1) Semhar: If I have to hear another “spoken word” from this woman. And please do something with your hair. Sheesh.

2) Christine: Sorry to see her go. Though, she did it to herself.

Posted by iltarion on 09-28-11 at 09:26 PM

I feel Cochran should have ranked higher on your list. After all, he is the thinnest person on the show.

>

Posted by Addi on 09-30-11 at 02:39 PM
gmta

"Tallies"
Posted by dabo on 09-28-11 at 01:35 PM
LAST EDITED ON 09-28-11 AT 01:36 PM (EST)

Coach: 15 -- 3
Mikayla: 19 -- 3.8
Cochran: 22 -- 4.4
Edna: 25 -- 5
Ozzy: 35 -- 7
Sophie: 36 -- 7.2
Rick: 39 -- 7.8
Elyse: 40 -- 8
Jim: 41 -- 8.2
Albert: 43 -- 8.6
Keith: 45 -- 9
Mark: 49 -- 9.8
Whitney: 50 -- 10
Dawn: 56 -- 11.2
Stacey: 65 -- 13
Brandon: 71 -- 14.2

RI: Semhar seems slightly less despised than Christine.

"RE: Tallies"
Posted by michel on 09-28-11 at 05:26 PM
LAST EDITED ON 09-28-11 AT 05:26 PM (EST)

You do realize that averaging the scores takes all the flavor out of the mix, don't you? If someone was hated by half the audience and loved by the other they'd wind up tied with someone that would have been rated in the middle because they were totally invisible.

ETA: Although I am surprised to see Coach at number 1! it's incredible what a good edit can do.

Thanks Agman!

Posted by dabo on 09-29-11 at 00:24 AM
On the contrary, averaging the scores paints the bigger picture.

Posted by michel on 09-29-11 at 07:24 AM
OK then we should all strive to be average. Average is the new ideal.

Posted by dabo on 09-29-11 at 11:29 AM
That's not the point, which I expect you know. Everyone here is influenced by the edit and responding to their own preeferences in what they look to for entertainment value from Survivor. There are no wrong lists, just different perspectives.