URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID4
Thread Number: 5044
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"A tribute to Jane"

Posted by kingfish on 12-17-10 at 01:26 PM
I for one was pleasantly surprised by how successful Survivor's casting of Jane was, and how well it worked out this season. There were some unique characters and I have enjoyed this season in general.

But I was especially pleased to see Jane's success in the challenges. She was just as selfish and self-deluded as any of the others (well, okay, Naonka and Fabio took the cake in self delusion and general stupidity) and she didn't have a real winning strategy (IMO), but finally we had an old person show real challenge strength and endurance, and she seemed to be able to handle the rigors of Castaway life as good or better than the others.

She may have been cast as a token old person, but she turned out to be a gutsy old lady with real character and physical survival skills. And for that I applaud her.

Tribal art.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: A tribute to Jane"
Posted by michel on 12-17-10 at 02:14 PM
LAST EDITED ON 12-17-10 AT 02:17 PM (EST)

>I for one was pleasantly surprised
>by how successful Survivor's
>casting of Jane was, and
>how well it worked out

I was pleasantly surprised at the complexities we saw from Jane. The editors did present her McGyver side, her heroic side but also her negative side, her bitterness and her anger. A rare, full portrait.

> There were some
>unique characters and I have
>enjoyed this season in general.

Indeed: Tyrone was funny and strong.
Jimmy Johnson was probably the best "celebrity" casting ever mostly because he was a true fan and he got involved. (*cough*Hogaboom*cough*)
There's never been anyone like Jimmy T.
Brenda, Marty, Sash and Alina were all good at the game's strategy but, surprisingly, Na'Onka outwitted them all.
We all saw Holly grow and learn the game which rarely happens.
Seeing Chase have everyone offer him an alliance but continually fumbling around with them was amazing! I'm not sure if I see him as the second Ian or if he is the anti-Todd.
Fabio's goofy side has been fun to watch but I'd like to see him prove he is smarter than what the others think.

That's 12 out of 20. Pretty good considering that three of the duds, Benry, Kelly B and Jill, looked like good choices at the start.

Compared to Fiji that only had Yau Man, Earl, Dreamz, Alex, Rocky and Lisi as interesting characters, I'd say we were lucky.

Then we had Gabon which was full of sheeps who blindly followed one of Ace, Marcus, Crystal or Randy until Sugar decided her acting career needed a boost so she, along with all the twists, empowered Kenny the nerd. Or Thailand where everone followed either Brian or Penny.

The tribal dynamics were much more intricate this time around. It's usually the case when production chooses the teams. Think about it: If, like me, Thailand, Fiji and Gabon are your three worst seasons, all started with players dividing the teams instead of production imposing them. Even Palau wasn't that great as far as dynamics go. It was mostly good because it was so unusual to see one team dominate but it soon became more predictable than this one.

Ils sont fous, ces Romains!
Thanks Tribe!

Posted by iltarion on 12-18-10 at 04:50 AM

You are right, michel. This season is better than Fuji or Gabon. Of course, those are the two worst seasons of all time. So, this season is 3rd or 4th worst. There you go.

Comparing Ian being bounced between two alliance mates that he genuinely cared about to Chase's consistent carelessness is like comparing me to a water melon because of our water content.

>

Posted by michel on 12-18-10 at 11:45 AM
LAST EDITED ON 12-18-10 AT 11:48 AM (EST)

As far as rankings go, all I know is that Thailand, Fiji and Gabon still had some good moments. This one was better so it has been enjoyable.

I don't think carelesness is the right term for Chase. It's simply confusion.
Listen to Ian's talk with Caryn after returning from a reward and you see a lot of the same indecision as we do with Chase. Ian was lucky to be Tom's second in command, Chase didn't have the same captain. Thinking about it, Chase did say he wanted Jimmy Johnson on his side and Jimmy certainly could have been his Tom.

Posted by kingfish on 12-18-10 at 12:48 PM
Chase was Jimmy Johnson's (NASCAR champion) jackman.

(I understand that you meant the "other" Jimmy Johnson, just though I'd toss that coincidental factiod in).

Posted by PsychoKitty on 12-17-10 at 08:35 PM
All excellent points Kingfish! Unfortunately Jane had to go because she probably would have won the million dollars! And she didn't take it lying down either ! ;) She certainly earned it more than the remaining folks. . .

I'm very torn on the quality of the cast this season - you both raise good points. But I couldn't care less about most of these people. And of who is left, I want Fabio to win. Just because I like him - he hasn't really proven he's a great strategist, etc. I just like him better than the others. Which is a pretty weak reason to "pick" someone.

Not that I have an opinion one way or another ;)
Sigs by Cig