URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID4
Thread Number: 5041
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Survivor Hall of Fame Inductees"

Posted by CTgirl on 12-13-10 at 06:10 PM
xftv is announcing a new inductee every day this week. Parvati is the first, and no surprise, she got the most votes.

I think she's in the top 5 of all Survivors to ever play the game. No problems with this choice!

http://www.fancast.com/blogs/2010/tv-news/survivor-hall-of-fame-inductee-parvati-shallow/

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Survivor Hall of Fame Inductees"
Posted by michel on 12-13-10 at 07:31 PM
Thanks for this link CTGirl. Any list of all the HOFers?

Parvati is top 20 for sure but top 5? She had a good edit in Cook Islands until Jonathan made us realize that she didn't know how to do any of the survival things. So it took her a second chance to become a survivor and then she could have left first if Fairplay hadn't quit. I know, everyone needs luck but she had plenty, too much for a top 5 in my eyes.

Her biggest strength is that, despite flirting with the guys, almost all the women still liked her. A true charmer who understood it was a social game and who was good in many challenges.

Posted by CTgirl on 12-13-10 at 09:33 PM
They will be announcing one a day every day this week for the first five.

I was listening to Rob Cesternino's podcast today with Gordon Holmes (the guy who spearheaded the Survivor HofF) and he wants to have a vote every 6 months but with different twists like best episode, best challenge etc, and maybe only induct 3 people next year. He did say the top 3 are expected but 4 and 5 could be surprises.

The votes are counted 50% from fans voting on the internet and 50% from a committee made up of Gordon, Jeff Probst, John K. the challenge guy, another producer and I forget who else so everyone has different criteria for their top 5. Off the top of my head I would've voted for Parvati, Hatch and Tom Westman. Fairplay isn't even on my radar but his name is mentioned a lot because he changed the game so much with his dead grandmother lie. Parvati was lucky - but look what she did with her luck!

Posted by michel on 12-13-10 at 09:41 PM
But these are only the 2010 inductees. Players have been inducted before, Hatch being the first inductee, but I can't find the complete list.

Posted by SpotTheDifference on 12-14-10 at 05:54 AM
I saw their site a couple of weeks ago and voted. I didn't realize the results would be up so soon. I believe you could vote up to five people as many times as you want; all votes will be counted regardless of how many times you voted.

I had Hatch, Tom W., Parvati, Sandra, and Rob C. in my list.

"2nd Inductee: Boston Rob"
Posted by CTgirl on 12-14-10 at 07:19 PM
2nd highest vote getter! Wow, he's one of my favorites evah, but 2nd? I'm surprised.

Here's the link:
http://www.fancast.com/blogs/2010/tv-news/survivor-hall-of-fame-inductee-boston-rob-mariano/

"RE: 2nd Inductee: Boston Rob"
Posted by michel on 12-14-10 at 07:56 PM
I guess I owe you an apology because this is the "official" Hall of Fame (!!)

I was remembering one that was posted at Sucks and started 5 years ago.

http://survivorsucks.yuku.com/topic/31539

"RE: 2nd Inductee: Boston Rob"
Posted by SpotTheDifference on 12-14-10 at 11:32 PM
Yeah, me too. I think Rob is one of those people who definitely benefited from having played Survivor a second time (a la Amber and Parvati). Without playing an All-Star season, I doubt a lot of fans would remember who he is.

"Third: Russhell"
Posted by CTgirl on 12-16-10 at 00:03 AM
Blech. No way he deserves to be in the top 5; he had no social game.

There are no quotes from him - I wonder if they asked him to say something and he spouted some garbage!

http://www.fancast.com/blogs/2010/tv-news/survivor-hall-of-fame-inductee-russell-hantz/

"RE: Third: Russhell"
Posted by SpotTheDifference on 12-16-10 at 00:14 AM
Maybe they're just listing down everyone from the Villains tribe? TBH, I definitely think he deserves a spot. I may not agree with his means, but no one can argue his success in the game, or that he's one of the most iconic villains to have ever been cast on Survivor.

Guesses for the last two: Rupert and Sandra.

Posted by michel on 12-16-10 at 00:25 AM
If you are going to elect only 5 then the first ballot should be:
1- Hatch
2- Tina
3- Rudy
4- Jerri
5- Colby

Russell? Absolutely no way, not yet.

Posted by SpotTheDifference on 12-16-10 at 02:01 AM
LAST EDITED ON 12-16-10 AT 02:21 AM (EST)

I agree with Hatch, Tina, and maybe Colby and Jerri. But considering that 50% of the criteria for this Hall of Fame is online votes and people are allowed to vote multiple times, I think it's understandable that Parvati, Rob, and Russell are the ones who have been inducted.

I guess I'm thinking of the voting process as American Idol-style. It's the popular people who have the most rabid fans who will win, not necessarily the most deserving.

Posted by michel on 12-16-10 at 08:40 AM
Rudy was twice as popular as Russell will ever be. A Hall of Fame is supposed to be about history, this one is a publicity stunt.

Posted by SpotTheDifference on 12-16-10 at 01:57 PM
This one is a publicity stunt.

Aah, with this I completely agree. Maybe like most casual viewers, I've forgotten how popular Rudy was though. But like I said earlier, given the criteria for induction, I understand how these three people have been chosen and for the most part, agree with the results.

Posted by michel on 12-16-10 at 07:55 PM
"Maybe I've forgotten how popular Rudy was though."

Google "Rudy Boesch action doll" and "Russell Hantz Action doll" and see which one hits. All the season 1 and 2 players became stars, making it into mainstream news. Nowadays, only TV Guide will talk about these players.

The main criteria for induction to any Hall of Fame should be for when you visit it with your kids you can tell them about the history of the game. The game started with the five I listed certainly not with Parvati or Hantz.

Posted by byoffer on 12-16-10 at 11:46 AM
I am not sure how there can be a list of greatest Survivors without Sandra. She played twice and won twice. That has to differentiate her from all others.

Posted by dabo on 12-16-10 at 02:11 AM
>- I wonder if they
>asked him to say something
>and he spouted some garbage!
>

Undoubtedly he said this proves he should have won.

This HOF loses all credibility with this induction, Coach Ben may as well be the next one, then Rupert, then Chet. Then Heidi and her awesome IQ.

Posted by iltarion on 12-16-10 at 05:16 PM
LAST EDITED ON 12-16-10 AT 05:20 PM (EST)

Boston Rob should be #1 in the Hall of Fame if you ask me. Put any group of All Stars together and there is one person they would all go "Woah" for- Boston Rob.

Plus, he's still the most entertaining Survivor ever. That should count for a lot.

The Hall of Fame charter members should be-

1. Boston Rob
2. Parvati
3. Sandra
4. Amanda
5. Russell

Boston Rob- enuf said
Parvati- 1 win, 2 finals, 3 juries
Sandra - 2 wins, 2 finals, 2 juries
Amanda- 2 finals, 3 juries
Russell - 2 finals, 2 juries

Parvati, Sandra, Amanda, and Russell are the only players in Survivor history to go to more than 1 final.

Parvati, Amanda and Rupert are the only players in Survivor history to be on 3 juries (or making it to the jury stage since technically Parvati and Amanda were only on 1 jury each).

So, only 5 different players have accomplished either of these feats.

After this season there will be 20 different winners of Survivor. Therefore, statistically speaking, accomplishing either feat is 4 times more unlikely than winning the show.

>

Posted by dabo on 12-16-10 at 05:38 PM
Personally, I would have to put Cirie above Amanda and Russell combined; even though she's never won it is because everyone is genuinely afraid to let her get to final, she's just that good. Maybe the only player that could defeat Sandra in an F2.

Posted by Starshine on 12-16-10 at 05:42 PM
I agree with Dabo, one of the main reasons Russell has two finals is that he is the ideal goat.

Posted by michel on 12-16-10 at 08:07 PM
LAST EDITED ON 12-16-10 AT 08:08 PM (EST)

>Parvati, Sandra, Amanda,
>and Russell are the only
>players in Survivor history
>to go to more than 1 final.

This would be valid ONLY if everyone played more than one time!

Amanda!!!!!!!!! No way, not before at least 30 other players had been elected. Sandra, along with Fairplay, Rupert, Kathy and Boston Rob, would be good for the second ballot after the first five I mentioned above.

Posted by iltarion on 12-17-10 at 09:33 PM
LAST EDITED ON 12-17-10 AT 09:40 PM (EST)

I hear all of you. I do. The fact of the matter is a million subjective arguments can be made. The arguments I list are objective. I hate to put Russell into the top 5, believe me, but results are results. I have also never been a fan of Sandra's, but there you go. You can talk until you are blue in the face and go no where, or you can just look at the results and objectively see who has done the best.

I can see making an argument that the goal is to win the game and since Russell never was close to winning, then his Finals run should be discounted.

There is some logic to that, but I won't make it. Better players go farther in the game. Always? No, certainly not, but I believe it is still enough of a truism to be considered a objective measure.

If selecting players to return to the game were random, then I would agree that it would be unfair to compare players who have played 3 times to those who played only once, but that isn't the case. There are reasons why certain players were asked to return and others weren't, and that should be considered.

This is a Hall of Fame, after all. I don't equate that with history. I also don't equate it necessarily with the 5 best game players to ever play. I instead equate it to the 5 players who accomplished the most and played the biggest role. Those who appeared in the most shows certainly played bigger roles than those who appeared in fewer shows.

Cirie had 3 chances to play Survivor. In all 3 attempts, she did not make it as far as Amanda made it in her 3 seasons. There are many factors to this, but the reality is she failed to overcome those obstacles. Remember in Fans vs. Faves none of the (byotches) women wanted Amanda to make the Finals because she was too likable. She went on an IC run to make the Finals anyway. That is called overcoming an obstacle.

By michel's standard, simply being in the first two seasons seems to entitle you to the Hall of Fame. I guess that is one way of looking at it. I don't, and as we are seeing, neither do the voters.

I would lastly point out that Fairplay quit Fans vs. Faves. That disqualifies him from the Hall of Fame. It is like betting on baseball.

>

Posted by michel on 12-18-10 at 04:42 AM
LAST EDITED ON 12-18-10 AT 04:48 AM (EST)

Nice points you have made, Iltarion. Now, let me tear them apart!

>The arguments I list are objective.
>I hate to put Russell
>into the top 5, believe
>me, but results are results.
>I have also never been
>a fan of Sandra's, but
>there you go...You can
>just look at the results
>and objectively see who has
>done the best...
>If selecting players to return to
>the game were random, then
>I would agree that it
>would be unfair to compare
>players who have played 3
>times to those who played
>only once, but that isn't
>the case. There are reasons
>why certain players were asked
>to return and others weren't,
>and that should be considered.

Do you realize that you are basing your objective measure on THE most subjective of all variables concerning Survivor? Casting decisions! Casting decides who goes on the show and especially who returns. For instance, did you know that Amanda only went to Micronesia because Courtney turned down the invitation? Or that Parvati would have watched Fans vs Favorites from home if Candice hadn't gone back to medical school? That Jeff was upset by many selections but Lynn wanted HER recruits to return?

BTW, @ss #1 wasn't different: Amber and Jenna, two of the final three no less, only returned because Lis and Colleen refused to go. Even Boston Rob wasn't a sure thing back in S8. Sean was deemed more deserving by many people as were Skupin and Brian. Sometimes the reason is simply who looks best in a bathing suit or who is funniest. Hardly reasons to elect someone to a Survivor Hall of Fame.

>This is a Hall of Fame,
>after all. I don't equate
>that with history. I also
>don't equate it necessarily with
>the 5 best game players
>to ever play. I instead
>equate it to the 5
>players who accomplished the most
>and played the biggest role.
>Those who appeared in the
>most shows certainly played bigger
>roles than those who appeared
>in fewer shows.

I'm glad you brought up baseball in your post because it gives me a great comparison: If Cooperstown's HOF didn't exist and MLB just decided this year to name some players to a new hall, who would be the first elected? I'd bet my last dollar that we'd see the 5 from this group: Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Cy Young, Lou Gehrig, Walter Johnson and maybe some "modern" players like Stan Musial, Ted Willians, Joe Dimaggio or Jackie Robinson. Gregg Maddux? No way, not before quite a few others would be elected. Hall of Fame is all about history.

>Cirie had 3 chances to play
>Survivor. In all 3 attempts,
>she did not make it
>as far as Amanda made
>it in her 3 seasons.

I wouldn't elect Cirie immediately but I would place her before Amanda for the simple reason that players feared Cirie's abilities. Amanda was a joke when she was seen rounding the corner in Fans vs Favorites.

>
>By michel's standard, simply being in
>the first two seasons seems
>to entitle you to the
>Hall of Fame. I guess
>that is one way of
>looking at it. I don't,
>and as we are seeing,
>neither do the voters.

Have you ever been to CBS' web site? Do you know the twits that post there? Most shouldn't be allowed to vote for anything. But that isn't the main objection I have to the fan vote: We know that those who posted last week have seen the latest seasons but did they see the pre-@ss seasons? Certainly not all of them. Now, about Jeff and other production people voting, I will defer my answer until Monday. Stay tuned.

Why do I put 5 players from seasons 1 and 2 as the first five inductees? Simple: Over 40 Million viewers. They were famous, being interviewed by most newspapers. Only 10 or 12M saw RussHell's dirty underwear.

>I would lastly point out that
>Fairplay quit Fans vs. Faves.
>That disqualifies him from the
>Hall of Fame. It is
>like betting on baseball.

I think that Pete Rose should be in the Hall of Fame. Fairplay would be a controversial choice and I wouldn't tear my shirt off to get him in but I think he is a big part of Survivor history, the creator of the funniest moment ever.

"4th: Hatch"
Posted by CTgirl on 12-17-10 at 00:35 AM
Going old school, finally!

Here's the link:
http://www.fancast.com/blogs/2010/tv-news/survivor-hall-of-fame-inductee-richard-hatch/
No comments from him either. Is in still in jail?!

I have to give a plug for Rob Cesternino's podcasts for any of you Survivor fans who haven't listened to them. I download them from itunes; you can also find them on Robhasawebsite.com. This season he has been interviewing the booted candidate and then also interviewing a Survivor from the past that might have an insight into a particular aspect of the game this season i.e. he interviewed Deena at merge and Butch after the fire. I listened to his interview with Tina today. She gently ranked on CBS for casting "characters" like Russell instead of players like the early days. She also said her chance of being picked for the Hall of Fame are slim, "I'm not interesting and I was on too long ago." (She did this interview a week or so ago.) Check it out.

"RE: 4th: Hatch"
Posted by dabo on 12-17-10 at 01:49 AM
Actually, he is back in trouble again.

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/survivor-richard-hatch-allegedly-violates-probation-by-not-refiling-11813.php

"5th Sandra Diaz-Twine"
Posted by tribephyl on 12-17-10 at 10:12 PM
Sandra Diaz-Twine

"RE: 5th Sandra Diaz-Twine"
Posted by iltarion on 12-18-10 at 04:37 AM

So, everyone on my list except Amanda. I am pretty good at this. Hahaha....

>

Posted by Matthewop on 12-31-10 at 04:24 AM
It is realy good for me!

nice cheap DVDs available at http://www.dvdbestonline.com

Posted by tarata on 01-03-11 at 01:03 PM
Once, Thomas Walk the famous reality show analist wrote about this topic. I really liked it.
Did you already use the Needleman-scale for this reality show?

Posted by Estee on 01-03-11 at 06:57 PM
famous reality show analist

*walks away whistling*