URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID69
Thread Number: 502
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"A Question That Really Must Be Answered"

Posted by samboohoo on 12-30-05 at 09:26 AM
It's been almost 3 years now, and I really can't figure it out. Recently I received an iPod. And of course (along with
"Vehichle" and "Don't Cry Out Loud") the first tune I purchased was "Bridge Over Troubled Water." Does anyone remember that performance. That song right there should have sealed the victory for Clay. Even Simon said that.

So why, why for the love of Cod, did Clay not win? Why, I ask? Can someone tell me? Anyone? Bueller?

Handcrafted by Rolly

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: A Question That Really Must Be Answered"
Posted by Snidget on 12-30-05 at 11:22 AM
The scuttle butt from around here is that in most areas North Carolina's local phone service does not have the capacity to handle all the calls The long distance says every call that they got went through, but when you can't get through the local log-jame it doesn't matter that the calls would have gone through if only they had gotten to the long distance lines.

I can usually only vote in the early stages easily. The reports from here say that peeps in Alabama didn't have near the problem we did getting through.

But that might not be enough to make a difference. With as close as it was I think the phone lines were a limiting factor rather than the two really being that even. They can only take so many phone calls in that time frame, and I think they are at or near max capacity so it is random chance who actually wins when it is close.

I think the opening up more lines per person at the end of the season has helped some with the can't get through, but it is still close to impossible to vote from here for the last couple of rounds, and I refuse to get text messaging just to vote in AI.

Although career-wise I don't know that winning would have made that much difference. I tend to think some of the fans are even more rabid because "he was robbed".

Imaginary friends by Bob!

Posted by Kattrikk on 01-08-06 at 01:15 AM
The phone line situation just sucks so much. I remember reading how they supposedly improved the voting lines for last season and I still had a horrendous time voting. I wonder how many people aren't as willing to try for up to 30 mins for just one vote and end up giving up. I also wonder for areas where the phone lines aren't as jammed up, how many times each person votes. I know I would have loved to vote countless times. But having said that, I do think that the actual winner is always the one (of the final two) who sells more/has a bigger career and whether they get the title or not is not a huge factor. I hope the phones are better this year.

Posted by geekboy on 01-16-06 at 03:47 PM
Last season was the first season where i actually voted, and i did it via text messaging which obviously is a lot easier than calling a real phone number.

geekboy

Posted by nailbone on 01-19-06 at 05:40 PM
But having said that, I do think that the actual winner is always the one (of the final two) who sells more/has a bigger career and whether they get the title or not is not a huge factor.

This morning on the Today show, they did a package on AI, and they said these people are "trying to be the next Kelly or Fantasia or Bo or Ruben".

Sig by Cyg

Holey carp! My blog! MySpace!
Official OT Tassel Adjuster o-

Posted by geekboy on 01-16-06 at 03:44 PM
LAST EDITED ON 01-16-06 AT 03:46 PM (EST)

Samboohoo -

I have to agree with you 100%, that his performance of BOTW _should_ have sealed his fate, but as we all know, it didn't.

I know alot of conspiracy buffs out there think that the competition is rigged, but i have to disagree.

My explanation is that Simon's comments have a HUGE effect on teh voting public, and i think he knows this. If there is a conspiracy going on, its more psychological and non-intentional. If you look back over the past 4 years, Simon has had an amazing record of picking the winner early on in the competition. I believe in Season 1 he picked Kelley early, i know he picked Ruben and fantasia early on, and last season he predicted a Carrie win in one of the first rounds which was very bold of him.

You can't dispute his skills at picking the winner, or does his picks have an effect on the voting public? I know they don't for me, but....how else do you explain it?

I think Clay is the last one lamenting his 2nd place finish, and the same goes for Bo Bice, but lets watch this season and see who and when Simon makes his annual prediction. Mark it down, and odds are that the person will win AI5.

geekboy

Posted by samboohoo on 01-17-06 at 09:04 AM
I think you are right, Geekboy. I tend to agree with Simon 99% of the time, and I think it's simply because he's a straight shooter. Sometimes I have to wonder if Randy has a feed to something entirely different that he's listening to. I don't even wonder about Paula anymore.

Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004

Posted by flower2 on 01-16-06 at 04:52 PM
IMHO, Clay didn't win because Reuben was the better singer! I do agree however, that Clay's success is probably due to the outrage of his fans, going out to purchase his recordings. Unfortunately, Reuben never fit the American Idol image and that's why, for the first time they allowed Clay to be referenced as "An American Idol," gave him as many if not more interviews and exposure as the real winner and allowed him to share Reuben's well deserved spotlight.

Posted by geekboy on 01-17-06 at 09:41 AM
Although i was rooting for Clay all throughout season 2, i always agreed that Ruben was definately a good singer. Its just that _MY_ taste was more on the "Clay-side" than the "Ruben-side".

I totally disagree that Clay's success is a revolt against his 2nd place finish. That's simply rediculous. His success is due to his amazing voice, and one of the best "AI CDs" that have come out. His CD was a perfect match for Clay. And he executed that CD flawlessly.

Clay stepped up to the plate and hit a homerun. Ruben had the same chance, if not a better chance. His CD did not fit Ruben.

geekboy

Posted by Kattrikk on 01-18-06 at 02:15 AM
When you say that "they" allowed clay to be referred to as an AI, who is "they"? Also, AI has nothing to do with how many post AI interviews the boy lands. People were banging on HIS door!

Posted by flower2 on 01-19-06 at 10:05 PM
>When you say that "they" allowed
>clay to be referred to
>as an AI, who is
>"they"?

I was referring to the producers/creators of AI. I'm sure their permission has to be granted before anyone can use or reference that title. Justin was certainly never considered to be an "American Idol."

Also, AI has
>nothing to do with how
>many post AI interviews the
>boy lands. People were banging
>on HIS door!

AI has everything to do with post AI interviews. Those contenstants are locked into contracts that no doubt limits them by all kinds of privacy clauses and appearance approval. I'm sure however, that AI probably welcomed any additional exposure they could milk from the whole competition. I believe they orchestrated or at the very least, exploited the appearance of an ongoing competition long after Ruben was declared the winner. Again, that did not happen when Kelly won. They (AI Producers) didn't allow Justin to come close to overshadowing the winner, Kelly.

Posted by xwraith27 on 01-19-06 at 07:45 PM
I just finished reading an interview with Nigel Lithgoe in RNO and he said that Clay did, indeed, receive the most votes in most episodes of season two. He also speculated that Kimberly Locke fans might have voted for Ruben once Kimberly was voted out in Top 3.