URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID4
Thread Number: 4910
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"New locations for Survivor"

Posted by jbug on 11-06-09 at 10:58 AM
I started using BING some time ago and lurve the front page every day. I even recommended that my niece use this at school as their search engine because of all the great information to be learned....

But I digress....
Today on BING is a picture of islands (cays) off the coast of Central America - Nicaragua.

http://tinyurl.com/y8bjdbl
The Miskito Cays (Spanish: Cayos Miskitos) are an archipelago with an area of 27 kmē located off shore in the North-Eastern Caribbean Coast of Nicaragua

http://tinyurl.com/ybous8e

Not sure how populated all the islands are but this would be a beautiful place for Survivor!

So, do you know other places Survivor has not been that would make a great locations?
Link?

Tribe shakes me

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: New locations for Survivor"
Posted by Karchita on 11-13-09 at 07:41 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-13-09 AT 10:30 PM (EST)

That's just north of where I'll be next month, Little Corn Island. And it's just east and a bit south of where I was last December, in Pico Bonito National Park and on Roatan, one of the Islas de Bahia of Honduras.

I think the Moskito Cayes are much too remote for Survivor. They are possibly the most off-the-beaten-track part of all Central America. In comparison, the two other Survivor locations where I have also travelled near, Guatemala and Aitutaki in the Cook Islands, are really civilized and developed. Aitutaki has bleeding hotels (although the filming was on tiny islets just off of it, they had to be careful not to film lights from the town at night, I remember hearing). And the Guatemala location was basically on a road, just a few hours from a full scale town, Flores. Both of those places are well visited by adventurous travelers and in guidebooks that cater to that sort.

In contrast, I have been researching travel to Nicaragua for the last few months and haven't heard a single mention of anyone ever even going to the Moskito Cayes. People go to the Moskito area of Honduras, and possibly to some of the mainland areas in Nicaragua, but I haven't heard of anyone going to those islands. Neither of my 'rough and ready' style guide books address travel there, and the one that covers the town on the coast nearby, Puerto Cabazas, talks about hotels with pit toilets (for US$3.50/night), dengue fever, and the possibility of land mines from the Contra war still in the area. I am pretty hard core, but that is way too rugged for me. Dengue fever? No thanks. And just one little land mine can ruin your whole vacation, IYKWIM.

There also are a lot of drug runners along that coast, and my guidebook makes a passing mention of the Moskito Cayes being infested with them, so that would keep Survivor away from them as well.

I think the set of islands on the Nicaraguan coast called Las Perlas (same name as the islands Survivor used in Panama) is more the level of remoteness that they look for. Scroll south on your Bing satellite picture and you'll see them just north of Bluefields, close to the coast. Possibly even the Corn Islands where I am headed. They are less developed than Aitutaki, from the sounds of it.

BTW, most of those gorgeous photos in your link are from either the Corn Islands or the Pacific coast beaches of Nicaragua. A few are from a large lake, Lago Cocibolca, where I am also going to to. I bet the Moskito Cayes are also beautiful, but you won't be finding photos of them posted online by visitors because there aren't any visitors as far as I can tell.

I think Burnett et al like to film in Central America because it is so close to the US, so I would imagine they have scoured the area for locations. The Nicaraguan government may not be so easy to work with, and the Honduran government is currently unstable and even in more stable times, is one of the most corrupt in the world. These factors would also be serious obstacles to using otherwise desirable locations.

Posted by iltarion on 11-13-09 at 07:48 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-13-09 AT 07:48 PM (EST)

Is there a rock slide?

>

Posted by Karchita on 11-13-09 at 08:12 PM
And is there someplace to hide an Immunity Idol where Russell can't find it?