URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID4
Thread Number: 4906
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Survivor Love/Loathe List v19.6"

Posted by Aruba on 10-23-09 at 10:08 PM
A dramatic episode that will make next week's show anti-climatic. First of all it will be tough to match the drama of this episode and secondly if they follow through with the double boot it's pretty obvious Monica and Liz are gone. On the other hand if only one tribe goes to TC, the named castaway on the losing team will be voted out and the named castaway on the winning team will win the "Geez, look what happened to me" Lucky Player Award for this season.

1) RUSSELL H. (2,1,1,2) - While everyone else is shivering and crying as if they just came out of their Mama's womb, Russell is walking around shirtless unaffected wondering what I have been wondering for years--who are the Bozos who cast these unSurvivor-like players? With each episode he advances, he confirms my unflattering claim about Production so it should be no surprise that he's on top of my list.

2) DAVE (1,3,6,7T) - One of the very few good casting decisions. Solid competitor and good survival skills in a game still called "Survivor." A big reason why Galu has the numbers advantage.

3) SHAMBO (5,12,4,15) - Appears to be solid with the Galu men and has the Foa Foa welcome wagon waiting for her at the merge. She's got both angles covered. Simply put, she's playing the game.

4) MICK (8,11,9,5) - Still not wowing me but keeping in good graces with the pitbull; so he gets credit for that.

5) NATALIE (5,7,6,11) - Russell missed his calling as a ventriloquist. It's impressive watching Natalie talk with no signs of Russell moving his lips. But I'll rank her here for understanding the game and explaining that people will flip post-merge while crybabies like Jaison keep bellyaching.

6) LAURA (9,13,15,13) - Reason I'm moving her up is for appearing to be the only Galu member concerned about a Shambo flip. If she was a better player to have the numbers working for her she might be able to do something about it.

7) LIZ (3,4,2,3) - The way I see it she'll need A LOT to go right for her to stay alive in this game. She's a gritty player who would have prospered much better on a decent tribe.

8) JOHN (7,14,13,14) - He goes from wearing jeans in a swimming race, to catching a few more winks allowing Erik to find the HII, and now think's Shambo may be a good ally when any simpleton should know she'll flip at the first opportunity. This guy just doesn't seem to get the game of Survivor.

9) ERIK (4,2,5,4) - It's a good thing he has the HII because after his outbursts at TC, he'll need it post-merge.

10) BRETT (10,8,10T,7T) - If he signed-up for an adventure then mission accomplished. If he's playing to advance to an endgame then he has failed miserably. I don't see him as a F4 prospect with Galu, and I don't see him as a F4 if he flips. He's not capable of an IC run and as a young male he won't be able to advance by being perceived as pathetically inept.

11) KELLY (11,9,9,7T) - We know the Galu men have aligned with Shambo. And we were introduced to the Mother-Daughter relationship between Laura and Monica. Kelly is the only Galu member without a story yet. To head into episode 7 without a story pretty much qualifies as a waste in my book...but she's still darn nice to look at.

12) MONICA (12,16,12,12) - Why would Shambo write down your name? Let me think about that. OK...I got it. You suck at challenges; you have no Survival skills; and your social game is curling up under the protection of Laura's bosom. Need any more reasons???

13) JAISON (13,15,8,1) - Before applying for the show he should have watched all the prior seasons on DVD and with a pacifier in mouth, a rattle in hand, and a bib around his neck try to understand what might have been expected of him. Please go home already!

MEDIVAC) RUSSELL S. (14,6,3,6) - We've come a long way from the Outback season where it was reported that MB threatened to fire anyone who even attempted to aid Mike while his hands were melting from his wrists. In contrast CBS did everything short of calling Alan Alda out of retirement to run the M*A*S*H unit to help Russell. On a serious note at least health and welfare have taken precident and thank goodness Russell is OK now.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Survivor Love/Loathe List v19.6"
Posted by iltarion on 10-24-09 at 03:59 AM
NOW making a list is no problem. Nearly everyone improved in my eyes in this episode. After this episode, this cast went from being below average likable, to one of the more likable casts.

1. Jeff - As stated in another thread, best show for the host, ever. Handled a challenging situation with RussWell decisively, and made all the right calls all show. His comments to RussWell upon booting him was another one of the moments this episode where it was so good it is hard to believe it wasn't scripted by a really good writer.

1. Russell- The only Russell left- finally gets the top spot and is unlikely to lose it. His comments all episode were right on the money. What is the sense of shivering in a leaky shelter? How about getting out and plugging up the holes? You know what helps to maintain body heat? MOVING. Great comment about RussWell leaving the game, and his confidence at TC that the game is going to change was convincing. As things get harder, this guy gets stronger. Now THAT'S a survivor.
2. Erik- This guy is about as fierce a competitor as Survivor has ever seen. He had some great commentary, and his comments dominated TC including the "Bringing it to YOU" motivational speech that was about enough to make me get off the couch and lead my kids in some calisthenics. As Galu's strongest remaining member, he would have been a target whether he plays nice at TC or not.
3. Laura- Strongest/toughest woman we've seen on this show in a while. The kind of woman I've been waiting to see. Why are they so hard to find? Just physically impressive, she looked tough as nails inside that ball, and she looked to be getting angrier than Erik when FU FU talked their junk. The guys were plotting to get rid of Monica partially because they were AFRAID of Laura. She also cited the exact right reasons to vote out Shambo, reasons no one else on Galu seems to grasp. The obvious leader of the women on Galu, her handling of Shambo and the men could be fatal for all of them.
4. John- In an episode heavy with confessionals, this guy got the most. He had a lot of intelligent things to say, especially his comments about RussWell breaking down. He appears to be the strategical leader of Galu, leading the charge to vote out Monica, which I hated at first, of course, but if you consider all the factors, getting rid of Monica now and breaking up her and Laura does make a lot of sense. Remember, at the time, they all thought FU FU would be down to four after that night. So, the danger then wouldn't be 1 person, like Shambo, flipping. The danger would be two or more people, like Laura and Monica, flipping. And I certainly would agree that Laura and Monica have much greater manipulative powers than Shambo.
Lastly, John was also the one to suggest to RussWell that he REST during the challenge and let the other guys get it done. After this season, a fun thing to do will be to predict how this season might have gone if RussWell would have taken John's advice.
5. Liz- Greatest beneficiary of the no vote. Looked impressive when strapped into the ball as well and is similar to Laura in many other ways. Intelligent and tough woman. Another great find by the casting crew.
6. Shambo- Tremendous move up for her. I actually started to sympathize with her this episode. She connected better with Galu, and I respect the fact that she works hard in camp and tells the truth. Guys were wise to pull her into their group. It isn't necessarily her fault that Laura chose to roll with the younger gals and alienate her.
7. Danger Dave- We actually had less commentary from this guy this episode. He simply appeared to go along with John's strategic ideas, and he also too quickly acquiesced to RussWell in the challenge; whereas if he sides with John, it is possible RussWell would have given way.
8. Kelly- Silent TC for Kelly though she did have a confessional or two. Unique looking woman whose beauty seems to grow on you. I just think she's stunning now where I barely noticed her the first couple episodes. By the time we got to this TC, wow. Just has the quiet girl that everyone likes story. A late postmerge boot. She'll be on the jury where I will look forward to seeing her in decent clothes.
9. Monica- Not going to drop my sexy, sassy, hot tamale too far. LOVE the look in the small skirt with the knee socks. Also like the honesty she apparently can't help from flying from her mouth. I don't know what was funny about what she was telling Shambo though she is far from the first player to target someone who voted for them. The pretty quiet episode virtually seals the fact that she is the next to go.
10. Natalie- Ms. Coattails got another quiet episode. Was also a large beneficiary of the non vote, as was basically all of FU FU. No tribe other than the Aitu4 have gotten control back of the game after getting down to 4 people. Despite the foreshadowing, I don't see her getting even a Finals edit.
11. Mick- Got a fair share of commentary this episode, including at the TC. His rejoinder to Erik of "We welcome it" was a good line though it didn't jive well with who was uttering it. You should be known for doing something other than huddling in a tree before you start talking tough.
12. Brett- Getting a little more face time now. He didn't exactly affirmatively join the guys in agreeing to vote out Monica. Don't know if he would have or not. I guess he can confirm that next episode.
13. J-Sone - More whining and complaining and gripping. At least he has not talked of quitting.

in memorandum-

Marissa- most attractive cast ever? maybe, and this girl was tops
Betsy- who? i forget
Mike- as bad a casting decision as we've seen
Ben- I bet jerko wouldn't have been complaining nonstop about rain
Yasmin- like taking candy from a baby
Ashley- sweetie
RussWell- quite the story, reluctantly took the role as leader, ended up being recognized by everyone as the leader. Even the strong-willed, opinionated Laura and John referred to him as their leader. Shows people can instinctively tell who their leader should be. This guy embodied leadership down the stretch. Great guy, strong player, should get a chance to do it again if there is such a chance.

>

Posted by garcor on 10-24-09 at 11:25 PM
LAST EDITED ON 10-26-09 AT 06:45 AM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 10-25-09 AT 06:16 PM (EST)

1) Honorary - Russell Galu version. Wonder if he would have felt the need to accumulate bonus credits with his tribe if he had chosen the tarp. But he sure was into the game and his tribesmates had nothing but good things to say about him after he was hurt. Still think they would have had to come after him at some point or concede the million. He was looking as dominant in his tribe as Tom, Yul or Brian were in theirs. But based on his interview, he was more a figurehead (though an extremely hard working figurehead) than someone running his tribe. Galu was letting him think he was running the tribe while forming alliances he knew next to nothing about.

2) John - Does sound like he is strategizing and might be the smartest of the Galu men (this season's men?) at it. Has numbers which is another help.

3) Laura - For the obvious respect she gets from her male tribesmates combined with her challenge ability.

4) Erik - Also figure with Russell gone he's likely the biggest target on Galu. (Dave seems a little to unusual a personality to put together a strong alliance. And then there is Laura, who is a likely target down the road a little.) Like Erik's enjoyment of the rainbow and praying to Samoa. Find him one of, if not the most, appealing personality this season. Inspirational speech might have been a little cheesy but obvious tribe was strongly affected by scare involving Russell.

5) Russell - Foa Foa. Credit for keeping up his spirits while other tribemembers largely shivered and complained. Not sure about his "If you're not throwing up after a challenge you're not trying" speech. Haven't seen Russell throwing up after any challenges yet which makes these words come across as yet more bragging. But he's still very much into the game which makes it likely he will continue strategizing up to and after the merge, unlike . .

6) Liz + Natalie - Suppose Natalie and Liz did make attempts to split men rather than just accepting "It's either you or me that's going" but gave up after getting nowhere; so wasn't shown. Otherwise, doesn't say much for them as contestants that they weren't willing to try. Unless they were too waterlogged to try. Looked good in interrupted challenge. Liz did anyway.

7) Scarlett Johannson (aka Kelly) - A couple of female actress look alikes this season. Also swore Ashlee looked like the actress from Zoolander/the Brady Bunch. Still not much to know about her. And even less about . .

8) Brett.

9) Shambo - Male tribesmates might have tossed her a rope but its not for anything she's accomplished. Credit for working and challenges.

9a) Dave - Forgot he was in the episode. Don't remember him doing or saying anything of interest.

10) Monica - Not in a good position right now. Will need some more luck.

11) Jaison - Still complaining though looked good in abbreviated challenge.

12) Mick - Still doesn't appear to be doing much other than underachieving.

Posted by TxMom2011 on 10-26-09 at 07:29 PM
Ilitarion- sweetie- darling- i sure would appreciate you hitting that return key now and again. My eyes hurt --- a little more blank space on your post would help.

Posted by Aruba on 10-27-09 at 08:20 PM
Iltarion and Michel,

Interesting observations on where Brett's true allegiance may be. He has not been referred to as "InvisiBrett" on these Boards for no reason. That being said, it's hard to get an accurate read on where his mind's at, but the point made in my post is a Galu vote would have ended Monica's game, regardless of who Brett is gravitating toward. Here's why...

With Russell's Medivac, Galu is down to eight members. Whether they went ahead with the double boot last episode, have the double boot next episode, or go back to the normal format of the IC loser going to TC and Galu loses--John, Erik, Dave, and Shambo all vote Monica. Brett must make a decision on either voting with the men + Shambo and make it a simple majority for a 5-3 Monica boot, or he confirms his allegiance to the three females and creates a 4-4 tie. If TC ends in a tie, the six Galu members (excluding Monica and Shambo) must draw the infamous purple stone to determine who goes home.

Even if Brett has formed an alliance with the three females (which we have not seen), or to consider Michel's suggestion that Brett may be secretly in love with Kelly (Hey, who could blame the kid) I simply do not see Brett putting himself and the other five in this position for someone's game to end in that manner.

Posted by michel on 10-25-09 at 02:48 PM
1- Natalie (11,6,1,1): We never heard her complain, she has Russell watching her back and she's still looking at the end-game.

2- Russell H. (3,4,2,2): He changed his tactic and started working. Contrary to the other Russell, he didn't work because he had to please his tribe, he worked so that he could use them.

3- Shambo (4,3,3,3): She was the only one that really tried to help chief but even she stayed out of the rain. Now, the Foa Foa tribe needs her, the Galu men need her and the Galu women will soon realize they need her. Which way will Shambo go?

4- Jaison (1,1,6,7): OFG compared him to Hamlet and I loved the comparison. Watching his turmoil is quite interesting.

5- Erik (9,10,5,5): The woodchuck had a few funny quotes but he's now in charge of keeping Shambo in check. He knows Shambo can't keep her mouth shut - she gave him the HII - but he counts on Shambo locking it up. Can anyone see how this will end? BTW: Antagonizing the other tribe, no matter how noble it was, is dumb.

6- Liz (6,9,13,6): Liz didn't impress me with her game strategy. She didn't even realize that Mick wasn't the one to talk to.

7- Kelly (10,11,9,9): She had been shown hanging with Brett in every episode but this one. I think she has a little spy in the men's alliance. She should have told chief what she told us.

8- Brett (13,13,14,13): He was extremely uncomfortable with the men's alliance. I don't think he's ready to join them but he was very smart to let them think he did. He also should have told chief it wasn't neccessary.

9- Mick (8,8,4,4): As useless as a parasite on a tree which he tried to become.

10- Dave (15,15,11,8): He didn't bring a thing to this episode. "Russell collapsed" he said. Tell us something we don't know like why you didn't help him.

11- Laura (12,12,10,12): Leading a clique of 3 in a group of 8 isn't really smart. It will be fun to see what she does with Russell's seed!

12- Monica (7,7,12,11): They said she was manipulative but we saw she couldn't even convince Shambo that they could work together.

13- John (14,14,15,14): The guy just divided his tribe into 2 opposing factions. Galu doesn't need to win many more challenges. Getting rid of outsiders is much smarter than creating some new ones.

Booted- Russell S.(5,5,8,10): The guy showed determination but he worked too much. Loved his honesty in his interview saying something like: I had my head so far up my butt that I didn't even realize how far out of the loop I was.

I had fun writing the summary for this episode:
http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/DCForumID1/3994.shtml

Posted by LFJ on 10-25-09 at 05:14 PM
Re: Erik - "BTW: Antagonizing the other tribe, no matter how noble it was, is dumb."

ITA. This and the fact that everyone will know he has the idol will make him the target at merge.

RE: Mick - "As useless as a parasite on a tree which he tried to become."

I'm not so sure about this one. He has a seemingly good relationship with his tribe, and the Galu women love Dr. McDreamy. If the Galu men are concerned with a women's alliance, Mick might fly UTR for awhile after merge, just as he has up to now. Personally, I think the fact that he used the hollow of a tree to conserve his body heat was very smart. It was a tactful way to remove himself from the rest of the group. I can't tolerate Jaison's moaning and groaning while in the comfort of my own home. Imagine him in close quarters. OY!

Posted by michel on 10-25-09 at 06:34 PM
What did the editors let us hear after Mick tried to merge with the tree? Russell saying he was "Worthless". That's how I rate these characters; by what I feel the editors want us to think of them. They know them, I don't.

Let's look at it another way: What did Mick do in this episode? Nothing besides telling Liz he had no idea. He was useless to the story.

Maybe Mick will get by after merge (that's why I still have him near the middle) but it doesn't matter much to me for his episode #6 ratings because he was never given the opportunity to talk about it.

Mick is boring, Jaison shows emotions. With neither talking about strategy, I prefer the latter.

Posted by LFJ on 10-25-09 at 07:01 PM
This is good. Merci for the 411 on editing. I don't even think about it. Mick is a little boring, but didn't Jeff say in one of his blogs (or something) that the viewers may not necessarily like the winner? Help me out with this. I am virtually clueless.

Posted by iltarion on 10-25-09 at 09:34 PM
LAST EDITED ON 10-25-09 AT 09:38 PM (EST)

When Russell went on about "Worthless" Mick was not shown. So, that editing part was not directed at him. Russell actually appeared to be talking about the shelter or the people inside of it.
So, you would rather hear someone whine and complain than say nothing at all. I doubt that's true in real life.
Like many near the bottom of the list, Natalie also added nothing to show. Doesn't seem to affect her ranking though, strangely.

>

Posted by michel on 10-25-09 at 11:02 PM
LAST EDITED ON 10-25-09 AT 11:07 PM (EST)

Iltarion, watch the sequence of events again: Mick finishes his tree-hugger confessional and the camera immediately switches to Russell who says: "Worthless. Nothing. No good." His rant included everyone, yes, but it was put immediately after Mick's confessional. It was directed at him.

Natalie would have plummeted in my ratings if she hadn't had that key moment with Jaison. Her "It can be done" comment was extremely interesting for the future of the game. That kept her where she was for me.

"So, you would rather hear someone whine and complain than say nothing at all."

If I wanted someone who says nothing at all, I could turn off the TV. Game-wise, Jaison brings nothing so he's not at the top but he gives me a good indication of what it would be like to be out there.

You're welcome, LFJ.
I think your question is much more suited for the spoiler forum where we discuss Jeff's blog.

Posted by Aruba on 10-26-09 at 06:22 PM
Any advancement Mick AND Natalie have in this game will be purely on the coattails of Russell. For that reason it is no accident I have them ranked next to each other.

Now to get into this "worthless" discussion...trying to determine who is more worthless as a gameplayer between Natalie and Mick is like trying to determine which stock is more worthless: Enron or WorldCom? Neither have a prayer of advancing if not for Russell.

Question: Did Russell ever show Natalie the HII? I know he showed it to Mick. If he did show it to Natalie also then I either missed it or forgot so please disregard the rest of this post.

But it wouldn't seem to make much sense for Russell to hold Natalie in higher regard and NOT show her something as important as the HII yet have no qualms sharing it with someone as "worthless" as Mick?

Posted by michel on 10-26-09 at 06:50 PM
>But it wouldn't seem to make
>much sense for Russell to
>hold Natalie in higher regard
>and NOT show her something
>as important as the HII
>yet have no qualms sharing
>it with someone as "worthless"
>as Mick?

Aruba, you missed my point. It's not what Russell really thinks that matters to me, it's what the editors think. They could have shown a confessional from Natalie saying she was starving and then stuck in Russell's comment but that's not what they chose to present. The editors pick every scene very carefully. Mick was the one picked to be seen just before Russell spoke. I believe there must have been a reason.

Natalie probably wasn't shown the idol but that's not part of the story...yet. And following a strong player is a very valid strategy, as long as you can defeat him somehow.

Posted by Aruba on 10-27-09 at 07:59 PM
Whenever any focus is made on the MB "wizardry" better known as Editing it will always lend itself to opinions and assumptions--so here's mine.

Mick was perceived by a majority of his tribe as the "leader." Mick proving himself anything but a leader was my immediate impression of the edit we saw last episode with Mick shivering in a tree and shirtless Russell unaffected by the elements delivering his "worthless" rant. Of course we did not need this recent edit to confirm how worthless Mick has been as a "leader," but that was my personal take on this scenario and the opinion I still have today.

I also believe who Russell confides in with his HII is a noteworthy element in the game. You said "it's not what Russell really thinks that matters to me," but regardless of how you feel about Russell, he is the only Survivor proactively playing the game hence this season belongs to Russell. As for your statement that showing someone the HII is not part of the story..."yet," should Russell decide to share his HII info with someone when/if it becomes inevitable he will use the idol that doesn't hold much water in my book. Who he decides to share this idol with when he had NO immediate intention of using it ranks higher on my personal "worthiness" meter.

As for "defeating" the strong player Russell...the way this season is shaping up only two ways Russell losses IMO. 1) Russell beats himself, or 2) a disgruntled, bitter, sore-losing, and sour-grapes crying jury will cast resentful votes against Russell and the lucky sole sitting next to him becomes the beneficiary of "winning" the game out of default.

Of course a heck of a lot has to happen for this endgame to play out so it's kinda goofy to even speculate that Final TC right now.

Posted by michel on 10-27-09 at 08:36 PM
"Whenever any focus is made on the MB "wizardry" better known as Editing it will always lend itself to opinions and assumptions"

Well said. One could even say that Russell will be wrong and Mick will prove to be quite valuable. We shouldn't dismiss that possibility but it's not what I felt watching this episode.