URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID4
Thread Number: 4892
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"I like russell for pure entertainment value."

Posted by anotherkim on 09-27-09 at 02:24 PM

there. i said it outloud and in public. i haven't actually looked forward to survivor in a long, long time. russell is for me what the producers WANTED rupert to be-someone whose play keeps me interested and guessing and engaged. is he an ass and a liar? absolutely. but it's a GAME, not a friendship retreat and if the others let him play them, so be it.

it's one thing to be a power-hungry blowhard and not be able to back it up or to throw out a dead grandma lie as your coup de tate and prey on a couple of the worst, yet luckiest players ever. it's quite another to hit the beach with a plan and implement it from minute 1...and by plan, i mean something more than making an alliance, staying UTR, or flirting. the socks in the fire? brilliant. the canteens? brilliant. the sob story? sleazy, but brilliantly played. and every time he stirs the pot a little, another foo foo player begins to boil over. brilliant.

there are plenty of ways to play the game and i like it when a good PLAYER wins, regardless of his or her method. it's OUTWIT, OUTPLAY, OUTLAST--not OUTNICE.

Kimmah Says
--i also LOVED rob on all-stars and TAR and rooted for will on big brother x2, so this should be no surprise .

Table of contents
  • RE: I like russell for pure entertainment value.,Estee, 02:54 PM, 09-27-09
    • RE: I like russell for pure entertainment value.,nailbone, 11:46 AM, 09-29-09
  • RE: I like russell for pure entertainment value.,iltarion, 08:21 PM, 09-27-09
    • RE: I like russell for pure entertainment value.,anotherkim, 06:53 PM, 09-28-09
      • RE: I like russell for pure entertainment value.,michel, 07:29 PM, 09-28-09
      • RE: I like russell for pure entertainment value.,iltarion, 01:33 AM, 09-29-09
        • RE: I like russell for pure entertainment value.,michel, 06:24 PM, 09-29-09
      • RE: I like russell for pure entertainment value.,nailbone, 11:50 AM, 09-29-09
        • RE: I like russell for pure entertainment value.,anotherkim, 10:02 PM, 09-29-09
        • RE: I like russell for pure entertainment value.,Brownroach, 05:37 PM, 10-02-09
  • RE: I like russell for pure entertainment value.,sol, 09:15 PM, 09-27-09
    • RE: I like russell for pure entertainment value.,jbug, 10:12 AM, 09-28-09
      • RE: I like russell for pure entertainment value.,anotherkim, 07:03 PM, 09-28-09
  • RE: I like russell for pure entertainment value.,Snidget, 10:39 AM, 09-28-09
    • RE: I like russell for pure entertainment value.,mhdallas, 03:25 PM, 10-01-09
  • RE: I like russell for pure entertainment value.,Wacko Jacko, 03:52 PM, 10-01-09
  • RE: I like russell for pure entertainment value.,DRONES, 10:46 AM, 10-02-09
    • RE: I like russell for pure entertainment value.,Sunny_Bunny, 04:30 PM, 10-02-09
      • RE: I like russell for pure entertainment value.,krismiss2us, 12:03 PM, 10-21-09
    • RE: I like russell for pure entertainment value.,Wacko Jacko, 01:12 PM, 10-03-09
      • RE: I like russell for pure entertainment value.,garcor, 08:05 PM, 10-06-09
        • RE: I like russell for pure entertainment value.,Wacko Jacko, 06:56 PM, 10-19-09

Messages in this discussion
"RE: I like russell for pure entertainment value."
Posted by Estee on 09-27-09 at 02:54 PM
I've said it before: I want self-cast villains who can wink at the camera. Will has charisma. Even Rob had a certain amount of appeal -- just ask Amber. RussHell's skid marks may have more charm than he does.

His gameplay is working for now (although that's partially the fault of the casting people) and his preemptive idol strike has a chance to be an all-time move. I credit him for those things. But when it comes to natural appeal, he's borrowing against a bankrupt account. Offer us the chance to become equal partners in the crimes and we'll practically always drive the getaway car. Shoot every member of the team (including the audience) as soon as their part in the heist is done -- g'bye.

Posted by nailbone on 09-29-09 at 11:46 AM
ITA!! Russell has not a whit of the charisma of Will or Rob. He's just flat mean. And so far, his gameplay is really just dumb luck that the boot order is following what he's "leading". Betsy would likely have been one of the first to go, regardless of Russell's "puppet master" plan, and Marisa as well.

And I still hold out hope that the HII that he found can't be used by him, but rather is for the other tribe.

Posted by iltarion on 09-27-09 at 08:21 PM
LAST EDITED ON 09-27-09 AT 08:23 PM (EST)

Oh, yes, brilliant, burning a sock, dumping out canteens... Huh? Someone should explain to me how that is brilliant. It was idiotic showmanship whose only purpose was to get an uber-DAW some screen time. Hey, mission accomplished.
The MB plant, errr.. I mean Russ showed good game sense in wasting no time forming alliances with most his tribe, but other than that and the senseless sock burning, he has basically done nothing but steal lines already used by Brian, Rob C, Fairplay, Coach. etc. etc... Dique doesn't win any season but Season 1. So, Russ is a little late to the party.
I never saw Rob M as the villian. So, no comparison.

>

Posted by anotherkim on 09-28-09 at 06:53 PM

brilliant because it threw them off kilter...when you're out in the middle of nowhere, it's not like you have a whole lot of tools to work with. He did it with complete impunity.

Steal lines? I've never heard anyone else refer to his dumb-ass alliance, lol. I think making those alliances was actually the DUMBEST thing he could do because eventually the others are gonna talk...and figure out that he's making promises all over the place. If he has a weakness at this point, that's it. He's TOO sure they are devoted to him....however......

Idiotic? Let's see--he wanted the two people who have shown to distrust him out and? they're out. Marissa and Betsy were both showing signs that they didn't buy his act, so they had to go. And they did. And whomever he targets next will go, too.

Richard would have won any season he played had it been his first. He suffered in All-Stars from having his style known and prepared for.

And the idea that he is a plant is craziness, IMO. It's not exactly rocket science (no pun intended toward the rocket scientist whose name I can't remember) to think to look around for a HII if you've watched recently. It's the first thing I'd be doing once I realized there was no EI. And I would also make up a story to make me sympathetic to my team--not a chance I'd tell them I was wealthy--or in my case 40 and no debt, three kids, a husband, house, etc. It's the 'needy' people or the charitable ones that are able to use their personal stories when a target even inches their way--like the game should be determined by who actually needs the money the most. It's a bogus reason for letting someone win, but it happens.

I didn't see Coach, but Rob and Rob were sarcastic and cocky, but they weren't ruthless. Russell is. He also understands the social aspect of the game far better they seemed to. Mariano was in the control seat in All-Stars, but not in his season. In his original game, Mariano was a hot-headed smart ##### who couldn't control his personality or his mouth. And Rob C. was too easily swayed by Heidi and Jenna and his underlying need to be liked and respected to ever win. Russell is doing it all as part of a plan. Brian was just blessed to be playing with stupid, stupid, STUPID people early enough that his competitors, for the most part, didn't really understand the many nuances of the game.

Kimmah Says
--Rob in All Stars is still my favorite player, but I'm partial to him having met him IRL, lol.

Posted by michel on 09-28-09 at 07:29 PM
I'm with you Kim. A bastard for sure but a clever one. Betsy and Mike both said they admired how much preparation Russell put into the game. I've known some on-line gamers who are that involved in the schemes and those are the ones that win.

Iltarion: About Russell being a plant because he found the idol without a clue, look at the scene where he finds it once more. Just as he is seen looking at the tree, we very clearly see Ben with war paint on! That was supposed to be before they even got tree mail.

Then, some viewers with Hi-def say that Ben's shiner is clearly visible when Russell walks over to the tree:

and Mike is nowhere to be seen, maybe already medevaced when Russell is reaching in the tree:

My take is that Russell found the idol after Yasmin came to Fouey Fouey and either stole her clue or Yasmin asked someone for help, most likely Jaison and then Jaison shared with Russell. That would explain why Russell told Jaison and why Jaison was limping (challenge injury) when Russell told him.

PS: About: "Richard would have won any season he played had it been his first. He was certainly smart enough for that.

Posted by iltarion on 09-29-09 at 01:33 AM
LAST EDITED ON 09-29-09 AT 01:37 AM (EST)

Oh, so burning the sock "threw them off kilter." Okay. I missed that. All I saw were Ben and Marisa, who couldn't stand each other anyway, arguing. Didn't see the bunch of off kilter people.
The stealing lines business refers to Russ calling himself the "puppetmaster" and talking about discarding his puppets when he is done. Yeah, we've heard that before, more than once. Find an original metaphor if you are so clever.
I don't actually think Russ is a plant. That is more just blowing hot air. If I did believe it, it would have less to do with him finding the HI, which I agree it didn't take a rocket scientist to find, and more to do with him being an "oil tycoon" and being cast as a bad guy. That just seems too shallow to be coincidence.
I agree his Achilles heal would be if all the people he aligned with would talk to each other. But so far, they haven't. So, no worries there.
As far as my line that Dique could only win season 1, I might back off that statement. I was more saying that season 1 was the only time the "villian" won. However, Dique wasn't a villian to those playing, and that is all that matters. Tyson last season wasn't a villian to the other players either, though he was one in confessionals. So, I guess as long as Russ stays a confessional villian, he's got a chance.

>

Posted by michel on 09-29-09 at 06:24 PM
"Oh, so burning the sock "threw them off kilter." Okay. I missed that."

Well, it did. From their interviews we see that it caused Betsy to question Liz and Mike to think everyone was dumb (unless they are saying what CBS wants them to say):

Interviewer: Now you mentioned Russell dumping out the water. Also, he burned Jaison and Marisa’s socks. Was there any clue this kind of sabotage was going on?

Betsy Bolan: I had no idea, and I had a pair of socks missing too! Russell’s plan did work, because I was aggravated with Liz because I thought she was wearing my socks.

Mike: People were drying their socks on a stick, and I said “Don’t put them over the fire or they’ll burn.” And they did. And I said, “I told you, jerks.” I thought the wind was blowing them in.

OK, I'll give you that "oil tycoon" and villain is a fortuitous match but there are slimy folks in the oil business.

About Hatch being the only "villain" to have won; it may depend on your definition of villain but Brian, Chris, Todd and Parvati did more backstabbing than Hatch ever did. I don't consider any of them villains, just good schemers but that's another story.

(Strangely, JT lied and backstabbed as much as all of them but no one calls him a villain. His southern charm was really powerful.)

Posted by nailbone on 09-29-09 at 11:50 AM
Idiotic? Let's see--he wanted the two people who have shown to distrust him out and? they're out. Marissa and Betsy were both showing signs that they didn't buy his act, so they had to go. And they did. And whomever he targets next will go, too.

But really, weren't they probably the ones to go, even without his machinations? Marisa was on the outs with Ben, and Betsy was "the old lady". IMO, they weren't put out by Russell at all, but he THINKS they were, which feeds his delusions of power, which will be his downfall.

Sooner than later, I hope.

Posted by anotherkim on 09-29-09 at 10:02 PM
with editing, who knows, but i would have thought a blonde could have gone before marissa and ben could have easily been a target if russell wanted him gone.

Kimmah Says
--no one else seemed to be taking any charge in the ouster, so he did. there is a leadership vaccuum and he's gonna exploit that.

Posted by Brownroach on 10-02-09 at 05:37 PM
From the Insider clips from Ep 1 it can be gleaned that initially Mike was likely going to be the first boot (which Mike seemed to realize, from what was shown in the actual ep). Ashley would have gotten votes from Mike, Betsy, Mick and Marisa.

Then Marisa made the mistake of confronting Russell. Ben didn't like Marisa but it was Russell who hustled to shift the target onto her. He even lied to Mike (much like he did to Ben this week), telling Mike that Marisa started the campaign to get him off. So Mike voted for Marisa instead of Ashley.

A tribe glows in Brooklyn

Posted by sol on 09-27-09 at 09:15 PM
I'm with you, anotherkim. I really enjoyed Ep2.

RussHell is dastardly, but as he says the antics are to get the others off their game, and he does this by making them paranoid. He tells Mike that Marisa is out to get him, Mike gets paranoid. Mike quickly agrees to boot Marisa. That wasn't Mikes plan ... he wanted Ashley gone.

It's an easy trick - tell Alice that Betty has said something nasty about her, and Alice starts to defend herself to everyone - and attacks Betty. Tell Betty that Alice has said something nasty about her and Betty starts to defend herself to everyone - and attacks Alice. People are talking, but they don't know the truth; they are just going on misinformation. Misinformation intentionally planted by RH.

It won't win him the game, he needs numbers on the jury and won't have them. But in the meantime, I'll enjoy his antics. He wasn't a suspect in the sock burning and water emptying, indicating to me that he is crafty.

He's not a person I would ever befriend. I may even wish he had a different personality, but he doesn't ... so I accept him as he is.

Posted by jbug on 09-28-09 at 10:12 AM
It won't win him the game, he needs numbers on the jury and won't have them

But at this point his tribemates don't know how dastardly he is being. Some of them may begin to figure him out.

Also at this point, the people he is instrumental in voting out won't have a say on the jury anyway, so he doesn't care what they think. When it gets time for voting out those who will be on the jury, the tribes will be merged and who knows what those who are left will think of him?
A lot can happen between now and then.
I think it's too soon to predict jury votes (IMO).

Posted by anotherkim on 09-28-09 at 07:03 PM

He needs to make the merge, then I suspect he will play a slightly different game. Build paranoia or conflict and continue to sit back and let it go where it may. As long as they are worried about each other and turning to him for a vote or for help, he's not going anywhere.

Remember--the players don't see the truly nasty, cocky side of Russell that we do in confessionals. He unloads for the camera because he is absolutely an attention whore...no doubt. But he plays it much less obviously when he's with the players.

Let's face it--he was NEVER going to be a shoo-in for a win. He's not good looking, he's not young, he's not an All-American, he probably sucks at water challenges and anything that involves agility will more than likely be a problem, too. If you are really just into the social/mental aspect of the game, you work on the people at hand, eliminate those you can and bring the others in along with you--sort of a brotherhood of power. Then you cut bait at the merge. He really doesn't want to have a bunch of people that have known him since day one on the jury--he's toast if he does, lol. He just needs people he can manipulate--which at this point seems to be just about everyone there.

Kimmah Says
--at this point, I'd actually love for Jaison or Mick to turn into a power player, but I just don't see it happening. And the other tribe? Do they even have names?

Posted by Snidget on 09-28-09 at 10:39 AM
*glares*

Quit encouraging them. Both the casting directors and the "how do I get all the camera time" crowd.

I do often enjoy the villain, but I do need to "love to hate" them rather than just "hate I even know they exist" them.

I don't mind that the villain gets more than their fair share of the screen time, but only when what they are doing actually has to do with the game, rather than desperation to keep the camera on them and random crazy evil is all they got.

It takes a bit more than claiming you are there to win to make me think you are actually using the evil for a purpose that has to do with the game. At least have some subtlety about your wheeling and dealing with the alliances. It is more fun, at least for me, if it legitimately takes awhile for people to figure out what is going on. Just making it through because they only cast people too stupid to catch on (or too ineffectual to do anything about it) for a few episodes so they can get their villain story for the season just annoys me. I know you need a bit of stupid cast on pretty much any show, but these "super-dupery-doo-villains" they cast these days need way too much stupid surrounding them to last long enough for a good story.

Now I am still trying to get the bad taste out of my mouth left over from gNat-a-LIE and Ronnikins from BB so my tolerance is a bit low.

I know the days of the villains who actually have a good shot at winning because they have some charm and intelligence and game may be over, but can't we find something better than this to cast in order to replace them?

That he actually thought to look for the idol does give me some hope that maybe under all that attention seeking there lies something worth loving to hate, but I can understand all the "he only looked for it or found it because production gave him the idea or location" conspiracy theories going around.

I just worry that most of the early villains were cast more by happenstance than by design. Unfortunately now they are trying way to hard to get one, and the quality has gone way down, IMO, YMMV.

Posted by mhdallas on 10-01-09 at 03:25 PM
I agree 200%! I can't stand this stubby little man with the tremendous ego and the fiendish eyes. I don't think he's playing very well - just forcing his opinions on the others who, to be fair, are obviously too stupid to think for themselves. And, of course, the two players who seemed like they wouldn't fall for his line of b.s. were the first two to go. Sheez. Foa Foa deserves to go down in flames like the idiots they are (although they could move Nick to Galu and that would be fine - he's the only FF player I can stand.)

I really don't mind a villian when he has at least 'some' redeeming qualities - like Johnny Fairplay. Even though his lie about his grandmother made me furious, I still found him far more likable than this thug (although I have to admit that I liked it even better when Danny Bonaduce kicked his butt all over the place!)

Here's hoping that the previews for tonight's show are accurate and someone finally catches on to the evil one's ways!

Posted by Wacko Jacko on 10-01-09 at 03:52 PM
Ok, Commenting on the original post.

First off in my opinion...damaging anothers property should be against the rules. I am surprised it is not. Burning socks or dumping ones water...should not be exceptable....now you open a whole can of worms.

As for his "brilliant" strategy, is it "brilliant"? His team so far has lost every challenge. Going into the merge should be a tough situation for his whole tribe...including himself.

Yeah, it's brilliant now because he got rid of two of the weakest members of his tribe. If he was so brilliant...and appears to want to get rid of his own tribe...why not get rid of a real serious threat player? It appears to me the only thing saving him is the immunity idol. I myself wonder if he was told of possible hiding places by the staff....because otherwise his strategy in my opinion is suicide.

Posted by DRONES on 10-02-09 at 10:46 AM
Russell understands one key aspect of this game that many don't, and that is all this team play stuff means very little. Once the game goes individual it essentially starts all over again. Russell will have a whole new group of people to work over at that time. The goal of the first part of the game is not to get your TRIBE to the merge with the numbers but to get YOURSELF to the merge.

I really liked his Russell Seed line.

DRONES

Posted by Sunny_Bunny on 10-02-09 at 04:30 PM
While I don't like Russel, and find his "finding" the II rather questionable, he IS playing his social game well.

He notices EVERYTHING, all the time. Because of that, he knows exactly where to light the fire - and then leaves as the idiots play with it. LOL

Posted by krismiss2us on 10-21-09 at 12:03 PM
Your statement right there explains everything about russell. While i may not agree with his tactics, it is Survivor...OUTWIT being part of it. You say he notices everything...that being said, how do you think he came to be an oil tycoon? he didn't get that way being nice and noticing nothing. His attention to detail may be exactly the reason he can pull off a lot of his "stunts" IMO

Posted by Wacko Jacko on 10-03-09 at 01:12 PM
>Russell understands one key aspect of
>this game that many don't,
>and that is all this
>team play stuff means very
>little. Once the game goes
>individual it essentially starts all
>over again. Russell will have
>a whole new group of
>people to work over at
>that time. The goal of
>the first part of the
>game is not to get
>your TRIBE to the merge
>with the numbers but to
>get YOURSELF to the merge.
>
>
>I really liked his Russell Seed
>line.
>
>DRONES

Oh, come on. Team alliances are born during this game. The team with the head count usually ends up on top. The only reason they don't is because sometimes teams lose focus. Yeah, Russell (or any individual) can break through the team disadvantage....but the odds are against them.

And for all of those and the Russell - I am in control - how about last week....he wanted Ashley.....who went home?

Posted by garcor on 10-06-09 at 08:05 PM
Russell does seem to have an ability to influence people; some people anyway. And I don't think they necessarily foolish people despite what he says. But does he have the ability to make real alliances that could survive deep into the game? Do any of his allies feel any actual loyalty to him? Tend to think No to both these questions.

As to his tribes inability in Tribal Challenges, if they had competed better Marisa, Betsy and Ben would likely still be in the game. Can't blame their losses on Russell.

Posted by Wacko Jacko on 10-19-09 at 06:56 PM
Someone please explain to me how Russell is controlling the game? I guess if you can say he has the hidden immunity, but he aint influencing anyone to vote the way he wants. The first couple boots were typical first boots...after that....no one has voted the way Russell wants.