URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID4
Thread Number: 4874
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Coach's assistant"

Posted by tjcrew on 05-08-09 at 12:11 PM
On the CBS site there is about 2 minutes of video of the assistant coach who came for the family visit talking about Coach. One odd thing, is that he always refers to him as "Coach Wade". So they aren't even on a first name basis? And this was the closest person Coach could get to come?

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Coach's assistant"
Posted by krismiss2us on 05-09-09 at 00:45 AM
kinda sad, huh? may explain his constant need to brag and talk himself up...

Posted by Aruba on 05-09-09 at 06:53 AM
Hi tjcrew,

You would think a blood relative or close friend (if he has one) would be a more appropriate choice for a "loved one" visit as opposed to a co-worker.

As for referring to him as "Coach" there's really nothing odd about that. It's not unusual to think once a coach always a coach. Perfect example was last year I bumped into a high school coach I hadn't seen in about 25 years and without even thinking I called him "coach" cause that's what he was to me.

But I do agree it was a strange choice for a "loved one" visit.

Posted by tjcrew on 05-09-09 at 04:30 PM
If he had just called him "Coach", I would agree. But he kept referring to him as "Coach Wade"- and Coach was never his coach- this is Coach Wade's assistant coach. Wow- you say coach that many times in a row and it really sounds funny!

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 05-10-09 at 06:53 AM
Coach Wade ... morphing into ... Couchewad.

You're right.

Posted by HistoryDetective on 05-17-09 at 09:33 PM
As for referring to him as "Coach" there's really nothing odd about that. It's not unusual to think once a coach always a coach. Perfect example was last year I bumped into a high school coach I hadn't seen in about 25 years and without even thinking I called him "coach" cause that's what he was to me.

But isn't there an important distinction here? Your coach was clearly in a position of authority throughout your entire relationship while you were in high school. On the other hand, Benji and the assistant coach are colleagues. For them not to be on a first-name basis off the playing field and practice field seems strange to me. As you note, this was a strange choice for a "loved one" visit. It seems all the more bizarre because they are not close enough for assistant coach to call Benji by his first name.

"We must scrupulously guard the civil rights and civil liberties of all our citizens, whatever their background. We must remember that any oppression, any injustice, any hatred, is a wedge designed to attack our civilization." --- Franklin Delano Roosevelt, 9 January 1940

Posted by PsychoKitty on 05-09-09 at 02:41 PM
I had assumed it was his brother and they just called each other that.

Who was it?

Not that I have an opinion one way or another ;)
Signature by tribephyl

Posted by Brownroach on 05-11-09 at 03:05 PM
It was the actual Assistant Coach of the women's soccer team that Benji coaches.

His name is Mitchell although I'm not sure that was mentioned in the episode. He had a little clip in the Insider this week (see Spoiler Board). What made me laugh is that he says Coach took him under his wing "when I first came to America", though as far I could tell he didn't have a foreign accent and seemed completely American -- I wondered if Coach was teaching him how to tell lies about himself to make himself seem more interesting.

A tribe glows in Brooklyn

Posted by jbug on 05-11-09 at 04:06 PM
If you look at the Southwest Baptist University website, there is a Mitch Browning listed as the assistant coach/defense for the Women's soccer team.
Wonder how many people have clicked on the email link to his name and sent him an email?

The head coach position is vacant.

Posted by jeffy1988 on 05-14-09 at 09:10 AM
They have a new head coach listed now: Rob Podeyn, but Ben's bio is still in the media guide, page 27.

http://www.sbuniv.edu/athletics/wsoccer/coaches/index.html

http://www.sbuniv.edu/athletics/wsoccer/08/MediaGuide/SoccerMag08.pdf

Posted by jbug on 05-14-09 at 11:21 AM
LAST EDITED ON 05-14-09 AT 11:26 AM (EST)

Welcome Jeffy
and thanks.
I didn't find all that! Good job.

E:
I had to copy this part and bring it over to share.
Wade also has interests outside of soccer and is considered
by most to be a true "Renaissance Man." In 1996 he
paddled 6,132 miles to set the world record for the longest
solo kayak expedition. He paddled for six months on
the Pacific Ocean from San Felipe, Mexico to Colombia,
South America. In 1988 Wade was voted among the best
trumpet players in the world by winning the ITG international
trumpet competition in Dallas, TX. He is currently the
Conductor/Artistic Director for the Susanville Symphony,
and has composed over 50 classical works for symphony
orchestras

Notice this says he SET the world record for the longest solo kayak expedition. Interesting.

Posted by jeffy1988 on 05-14-09 at 04:31 PM
Thanks for the welcome!

The more info that comes out about this guy the more it just confirms that he is truly a legend in his own mind.

I can't wait for the reunion show to see if he drops his guard!

Posted by mindy23 on 05-15-09 at 09:47 AM
>Thanks for the welcome!
>
>The more info that comes out
>about this guy the more
>it just confirms that he
>is truly a legend in
>his own mind.
>
>I can't wait for the reunion
>show to see if he
>drops his guard!
THAT will never happen!!! He doesn't have the capibility of doing that.

Posted by PsychoKitty on 05-15-09 at 02:33 PM
Thanks Jeffy1988

That was as fascinating a read as Benji thinks it is! World record this, Award Winner that.. . He HAS lead an interesting life even if half of it is actually true; but how can he live with mere mortals? And WHO wrote his bio? ;P

Wild stuff. . . . It's good to see he's sporting his Seagal look at work; I'm a wonderin' though - how does his love of Christianity jibe with his life as a DragonSlayer?

Oh GAWD - So glad he's gone - who else has EVER written a POEM for Tribal Council? ACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pompous A##!

Not that I have an opinion one way or another ;)
Signature by tribephyl

Posted by NedraSue on 05-17-09 at 08:35 AM
I was 'werided' out by the whole 'assistant coach' comments and all...kind of like how you refer to your mate? I'm my husbands assistant coach? WHEWWW!

Maybe that is why Coach didn't like Sierra or Erinn, and he was against getting rid of Brenden, the best looking male on the cast this year?