URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID2
Thread Number: 4864
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Varner: New FCC Crisis at CBS"

Posted by Krautboy on 02-25-04 at 07:59 PM
New report at SNN...
http://www.survivornews.net/news.php?id=722
Seems to confirm that Richard is safe this week and at the center of next week's "Outrage"...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Varner: New FCC Drama at CBS
This one involving Survivor. The following is a transcript of Jeff Varner's report today on TV Guide Channel.
TV Guide
Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Remember Janet Jackson's Superbowl reveal? The FCC does and has leveled strict warnings to the networks. But in the next two weeks a controversial incident involving two contestants may have the agency (FCC) tossing another yellow flag. Last week the foreshadow was on the wall.

Susan: that must be better eel than what you caught when I was with you, cuz that was all bone.
Rich: Who was feeding you, honey?
Susan: That was all bone.
Rich: That's why I gave it to you.

At the coming Immunity Challenge a nude male contestant physically contacts a female contestant, launching an alleged incident where she decides to quit, threatening legal action in a future episode. The alleged situation is said to be so controversial that given Justin and Janet, CBS is walking on eggshells editing this one.

Don't miss the next two weeks, as we are steaming into controversy.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Krautboy

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Varner: New FCC Crisis at CBS"
Posted by Loquatrix on 02-25-04 at 08:19 PM
Hrm. Well, I am not as sure as Krautboy that this confirms that Richard is safe this week.

The text tells us that "At the coming Immunity Challenge a nude male contestant physically contacts a female contestant, launching an alleged incident where she decides to quit..."

"At THE coming Immunity Challenge" means the very next one, to me. So, for me, this means that Rich is serving up his meat 'n' two veg (as we say in England) to the young lady concerned at the immunity challenge where they're balancing on the beam over the water.

The text then goes on to say that the activity at the challenge *launches* the quitting/threatening incident that we see in a future episode. In other words, the activity at the challenge and the resultant hissy fit are connected, but don't necessarily happen all at once -- perhaps the woman goes off and stews about it for a while, and decides to quit a day or two later, while Richard has been voted off in the meantime. Richard doesn't need to be still there (or even on the same tribe as her), for her to wind herself up into a quitting hissy.

Or perhaps it does all run on immediately from the incident at the challenge, but for the TV audience viewing all this at the mercy of CBS' advertising and viewing figures, her reaction appears to come later (sorry). This makes sense, because that way MB gets two climactic moments (sorry) for the price of one -- the actual "contact" highlight in one episode, and the reaction/fallout coming to a head (sorry) in the next episode.

Either way, though, I don't think Richard NEEDS to be present for the situation to take on a life of its own and escalate into the major drama we're promised.

In any event, I think it is safe to say that this is genuinely a no real harm, no real foul situation -- or CBS simply would not be using it as tease-bait in the current climate.

Posted by bebekid on 02-25-04 at 08:39 PM
Agree, Loquatrix. I have been doing little spoiling so far this season, but my gut is telling me this week is the Fall of the King. Some stuff I have read over at Sucks makes me think so. If I have time, I'll try to find the relevant posts over there and bring them here.

Posted by KLicK on 02-25-04 at 09:07 PM
Rich is wearing his shorts in this episode's IC though.

Unless he disrobes for a later round, the naked contact would have to be in a later IC.

"Sue quits this week at TC?"
Posted by Krautboy on 02-25-04 at 09:29 PM

I thought about this on the drive home from work today...

Rich harrassed Sue at the last challenge, and she took it and shot back at him...doesn't mean she liked it.

At the upcoming IC they have contact during the challenge and Sue complains about it. (We later see Richard wearing his shorts while competing against Jenna).

Sue knows she's gone soon anyway and when Jeff brings up the IC at TC, it sets her off and she says "the hell with it! I quit!" She probably claims sexual harrassment and threatens to file a lawsuit if they don't get rid of Richard next episode.

"At the coming Immunity Challenge a nude male contestant physically contacts a female contestant, launching an alleged incident where she decides to quit, threatening legal action in a future episode."

Sue decides to quit, but wants to make sure she takes Richard down with her, hence the reference to the threat of legal action in a future episode (eventhough she won't be around) Something like "If he's still around after next tribal council, I'll sue your ass!"

In EP6 Richard is somehow forced out...this process leaves "everyone in crisis mode by Day 21". By EP7 everyone is emotionally drained...

Rich may be sent to Patagonia with the others, but probably steers clear of Sue.

Note: In the SNN Bet your ass game, the final question is "Who will be eliminated this week?" Rather than "voted out"...Sue will be "eliminated", because she quits, but not voted out!

Sue leaves this week, and TC is a "Shocker"

Krautboy

"RE: Sue quits this week at TC?"
Posted by speedyforme on 02-25-04 at 09:47 PM
i can understand SUE but for some reason, I also think she's not the type to quit rather than get another chance to take Richard down herself...

I'm actually leaning more towards Jerri...

I don't know...

Posted by volsfan on 02-25-04 at 09:51 PM
Speedy...for some reason, I was thinking the same thing!

Director of Public Relations for GAWKUR!

Posted by tinybubs on 02-25-04 at 09:54 PM

I had an idea that Jerri was the one to be involved in this, but the reference to Sue in the article does make alot of sense.

She has already stated that she doesn't have a chance to win. And you just know she wants to take King Richard off of his throne.

The shocker this week could be not who leaves, but how and why they leave.

"I don't think it's Sue that quits or has the confrontation with Richard"
Posted by KObrien_fan on 02-25-04 at 10:04 PM
Sorry KB, I disagree with you on this:
Rich harrassed Sue at the last challenge, and she took it and shot back at him...doesn't mean she liked it.

It was Sue that started the conversation at RC after Lex made the statement that Richard caught 3 big eels and Kathy said he was like King Neptune out there, here is what was said:

Sue: That must be better eel then what ya caught when I was with ya cause the ones you brought me were all bone.

Richard: Well, I was feeding you honey

Sue: That was all bone

Richard: Well, that's why I gave it to you

Sue: You have no bone to give me Richard

Richard: That is absolutely true

It was Sue that kept going back to any possible sexual connotations, I don't think she was offended at all, nor do I think that Richard was harrassing her, if anything Sue was harrassing him.

I think Sue gets the normal boot this week, and next week is where the naked rubbing and "outrage" occurs.

Surgeon General G.A.W.K.U.R's of OT

"I have it!"
Posted by KObrien_fan on 02-25-04 at 10:11 PM
OK folks, I just figured it out...all these rumors of a ghost tribe of snubbed all star wannabe's is really true, and next week we will see a ghost tribe that includes...Stacy Stillman...and in a challenge vs Richard gets rubbed up against and then threatens to quit and sue CBS, they settle and give her a big fat paycheck, and it's really all the deal they brokered to settle the first lawsuit, but in a way that nobody would know that CBS gave in!

OK, I know that is all really silly, sorry. I think Jerri is the most likely candidate for the "outraged" player next episode. For each of the episodes listed with their titles on SurvivorFever they say "the 4th play is voted out" etc, but for episode 6 they just say the title and do not list anything else, does this mean that potentially we see a bootee and a quitter in Ep6?

"RE: I have it!"
Posted by Get Bent on 02-25-04 at 10:39 PM
Kristen from E also reported this, which seemed obvious it was from Varner. Avid Fan mentioned that in an earlier article about this from Kristen, the woman was from "down under", which would be Jerri, Alicia, or Amber.

Posted by Fweep on 02-25-04 at 11:51 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-26-04 AT 00:09 AM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 02-26-04 AT 00:04 AM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 02-25-04 AT 11:55 PM (EST)

Well Snowbunny and I have discussed this and a couple things to look at here. When has Dicque EVER worn pants in a challenge this season, and yet he is wearing them now....

Could this mean that he was naked to start, the incident happened and he was told to put on his pants, thus we see the vidcap of him wearing said pants?

The person who is allegedly making this complaint, that will quit and threaten to sue, does so at a later point in the game, not right there on the spot. This means they will have had some time to think about the incident and it may occur to them they can win a lot more than a million dollars from a lawsuit or at least the publicity that would come of it.

It is our thought that the person who is involved would be a person who may know that they do not have a chance of winning and uses this as an excuse to leave the game in pursuit of the possible lawsuit and/or publicity. So who would be prime candidates for this type of action?

Kathy and Shi Ann are on his tribe so they wouldn't be going up against him. In the pix where he is wearing pants he is going up against Jenna L., so I can't imagine it is her. This leaves us with Susan, Amber, Jerri and Alicia. Three of those fit the "Outback" spoiler.

Susan Hawk -- At the time of the incident, she probably would shrug it off and make some sort of crude comment. Sue is also very shrewed and a tough #####. Given a day or two to think about it, she may see the dollar signs, and she is one who has already admited she does not have a chance of winning.

Amber - In the last tribal council she said that she is the one who is always trying to calm down the hot heads around her. It would be very ironic if she was the one who throws her hands up and storms out. She is in a power position with the tribe and alliance she is in and I do not think she would jeopardize it by something like this. If she was the one who Dicque touched she would have Rob M. to cry on and to and make it all better. I think it is more important to HER to win Survivor than to win money in a lawsuit.

Jerri - The big thing with Jerri is overcoming the bad publicity of her last Survivor appearance. We know that Jerri is a publicity DAW because of the Playboy thing and other inteviews. She could believe that it would be very beneficial to her to portray herself as a victim in front of America. Jerri is also smart enough to know that, aside from Dique, most of the Surivor winners are quickly forgotten by the average American. The publicity or infamy in a successful lawsuit against MB and company could be immeasurable. Even if it is not successful she would have been able to portray herself as a victim, thus helping to erase her past reputation and help make a smooth transition into a career in Hollywood. This whole conclusion may conflict with the spoilers that Jerri leaves in a "graceful" manner.

Alicia - It is tough to believe that she would through a fit on the spot and with her body building, she has probably seen a few naked men in her time. Alicia might be feminist enough to realize how offensive it might be. Still, she has too much competitive nature, in my opinion to bow out like this. Could the feeling that this was truly an affront to her overshadow her competitive nature?

Conclusion, I think Sue is a strong candidate for leaving. She tells it how it is. She would tell off Jeff and others for letting Dicque pull this kind of stuff. She wouldn't care about her reputation and would have the fortitude to fight MB and crew, but she isn't from Austrailia. Jerri is also a very strong candidate. She's already been shown as emotional, on the verge of a mental breakdown and could very easily throw a tantrum at the IC. Her tribe might even chide her, thus embarrassing her more, pushing her to this final decision. Remember reputation is everything to her.

Overall my gut is that it is Jerri who is involved in this. It is reported that Susan goes to Mexico with Dicque and she wouldn't if she was the person involved. I think it will happen to Jerri and she gets to brew it over a few days and then make her decision. Whether Dicque or Jerri goes first is yet to be seen.

As for the foreshadowing, was it showing that the confontation was to be between Dicque and Susan, or that the content of their conversation would be the subject of the incident?

Should be fun to watch.

Fweep

Posted by Get Bent on 02-26-04 at 00:07 AM
You have a good point about Sue. She is a smart woman, and doesn't care what people think. A threat of a lawsuit from her would not seem out a character. Plus she has the moxy to pull it off.

I like the theroy of why Richard put his pants on. But to throw a wrench in it. Would you want your twig and berries dangling around during that challenge. If he goes against someone who is smart and doesn't mind, they could do a little yank! He may have his pant on througout the challege. I would (if I were a man that is!).

Another note on Alicia. She seems to react right away as my hubby pointed out. And this person stews on it a while before getting outraged.

Amber seems like the kind of person where the more she thinks about it, the worse it was.

I don't see Jerri doing it. I could be way off.

If you are right about Sue, my vote for the boot is wrong. Because this person apparently will be outraged in E6.

Right now, my money is on Alicia.

Posted by Fweep on 02-26-04 at 00:17 AM
Of course, if it doesn't happen at THIS IC, it would then fall to Kathy or Shi Ann to throw the fit.

Fweep

Posted by thetick on 02-26-04 at 01:26 AM
How about the pants as a result of CBS ordering a production intern to get busy with Photoshop after seeing the Jackson controversy. Also explains why that shot was from a PIP preview so poor video quality makes fake shorts less noticeable.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 02-26-04 at 07:44 AM
Except there's the problem of a full-size screen to watch the show tonight which can't be hidden like a PIP.

Posted by Loree on 02-26-04 at 12:47 PM
>
>Amber seems like the kind of
>person where the more she
>thinks about it, the worse
>it was.
>

I think Rob would talk Amber out of it if she was threatening to quit. Rob needs that extra vote.

"When has Dicque worn shorts at a challenge?"
Posted by KObrien_fan on 02-26-04 at 06:44 AM
When has Dicque EVER worn pants in a challenge this season, and yet he is wearing them now....

How about at the last IC where he was sitting as the caller to his tribe, would have been a perfect opportunity for him to get naked, yet he is seen wearing shorts.

Could this mean that he was naked to start, the incident happened and he was told to put on his pants, thus we see the vidcap of him wearing said pants?

According to this article, they have expanded the pixelated area of each frame in order to meet tighter FCC regs.

I still don't think it was Sue that gets in this controversy.

Posted by Brownroach on 02-26-04 at 10:32 AM
Avid Fan mentioned that in an earlier article about this from Kristen, the woman was from "down under"

If avid fan was referring to this chat excerpt, Kristin says that tonight's boot is a woman from Down Under (Jerri). The stuff about the scandal is a response to a separate question and the woman is not identified.

"Varner's other Report"
Posted by Krautboy on 02-26-04 at 00:05 AM
LAST EDITED ON 02-26-04 AT 00:12 AM (EST)

Just for Reference, from Varner's other report...

I QUIT! ME TOO!
Inside sources tell me that Jenna Morasca leaves the game fairly early due to her mother's death. This has been widely reported. However these same sources NOW tell me that Jenna is not the only one. There is a second contestant that reaches the boiling point, throws up their hands and angrily leaves the game. The situation that produces this exit will get strong emotional reactions from everyone watching. I'm told it changes the game, therefore something that can't hit the cutting room floor. They have to show it. I'm slobbering waiting for this episode! You should be too. You'll never believe who leaves and what causes them to leave. NEVER! I could tell you, but I'd never spoil it for you!

And this from his earliest:

"SUE HAWK
(Survivor: Pulau Tiga)
I love Sue Hawk. I have since way back when she was screaming at Richard in that tree day one. She's rough around the edges and not afraid to make a little noise. She's a devious little devil. I spent 10 days riding across the country in a hurse with her as part of USA's Cannonball Run back in 2001. She pulled out all the stops and let her guard down a bit with me. She's a strong and focused woman who'll try to get away with anything to win this game. Her greed is transparent. She is not a pushover. We saw the rat and snake speech. She wants to bring Rich down! There's an angry side to Sue that, married with the superiority she may feel being one of the Survivor brand poster kids, could mean trouble for anyone that pushes her too far. Having said that, I know she's probably gonna hate the next guy.

Sure sounds like Varner new what was coming when he wrote this description of Sue...

Krautboy

"RE: Varner's other Report"
Posted by munson on 02-27-04 at 12:07 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-27-04 AT 12:08 PM (EST)

The quotes from Varner are still relevant for the upcoming episode so giving this a little bump...

The situation that produces this exit will get strong emotional reactions from everyone watching. I'm told it changes the game, therefore something that can't hit the cutting room floor. They have to show it.

Is Varner saying that the incident itself changes the game or what results from the incident changes the game?

I'm having trouble seeing either as "game changing." Rich's boot was not the result of anything that happened at the IC...well, except for Mogo's loss. Sue was probably the next out of Chapera anyway by vote, regardless of this incident or the resulting blow-up at JP, and quitting doesn't change that.

Sue goes and the game goes on. We still have good spolier/rumor/spec that Sue's departure doesn't hurt Chapera long term so what is Varner implying with that comment?

"I think I figured it out"
Posted by dabo on 02-26-04 at 00:10 AM
Tom's lucky charm is the real culpret, Richard quits in shame from being upstaged.

In all seriousness, I somehow doubt CBS is all that concerned about something in Survivor, which they can edit however they want, being that controversial. I mean, odd as it seems, Janet's errant boob was more controversial than Ghandia and the grinding incident.

Posted by dabo on 02-26-04 at 00:34 AM
>At the coming Immunity Challenge a
>nude male contestant physically contacts
>a female contestant, launching an
>alleged incident where she decides
>to quit, threatening legal action
>in a future episode. The
>alleged situation is said to
>be so controversial that given
>Justin and Janet, CBS is
>walking on eggshells editing this
>one.

Why would CBS be walking on eggshells when they don't even have to show the incident? If it gets talked and anguished about, that's their drama, like the jerky in Australia or the grinding in Thailand. Whether or not it really happened and they actually caught it on tape, they don't have to show it at all.

Posted by Fweep on 02-26-04 at 00:55 AM
Another point or two. I cannot imagine that MB would EVER show anyone saying that they are going to sue "CBS or MB". This would give instant publicity to that person and CBS and MB would be instant targets of media scrutiny. I could see this person saying, "I'm going to sue Dicque for sexual harassment," or something along the lines of "I'm going to sue somebody."

I don't think they can edit out the actual incident, nor can they edit out any "fit" to be had, but they could edit in their favour any references to a lawsuit.

This may explain why we have seen Jerri in such a precariously mental state. They could be showing her as unstable and are already trying to sway public opinion as a lead up to this episode.

Finally Varner suggested that this happens over the next couple of episodes. This tells me that it could happen this week, the threats and the realization would happen the next week. Jerri could threaten to quit/sue next week and then come to terms over it and still exit "gracefully" later in the game.

Fweep

Posted by Flowerpower on 02-26-04 at 08:34 AM
>this happens over the next couple of episodes<

if part one of this drama, the "physical contact" happens tonight, then it must NOT be Sue IF we indeed think she is the boot tonight....why would she quit now, she would not be able to threaten to sue next week...

This must involve Jerri, Alicia, or Amber. Sounds more like Jerri than the other two to me.

Posted by Avid Fan on 02-26-04 at 10:26 AM
LAST EDITED ON 02-26-04 AT 10:29 AM (EST)

Hello again all, thank you for the warm reception I'm still sticking with my gut on this one and calling out Colby as the victim in the whole "rubbing scandal". Yes, Kristin does say something about a lady from down under but if you re-read what Varner wrote he was very careful to not specify a gender. It was Kristin who tacked on a gender. I don't know enough of Kristin to offer a truly informed opinion but based on what I have read here, she seems to be less credible than Varner. My money is on Varner's speech about a person throwing up "their " hands and what causes "them" to leave.

--- There is a second contestant that reaches the boiling point, throws up their hands and angrily leaves the game. The situation that produces this exit will get strong emotional reactions from everyone watching. I'm told it changes the game, therefore something that can't hit the cutting room floor. They have to show it. I'm slobbering waiting for this episode! You should be too. You'll never believe who leaves and what causes them to leave. NEVER! I could tell you, but I'd never spoil it for you! ---

We know the victim was from "down under" and thus I still think Colby. Colby will become outraged when he is violated on television. Colby is on the same team as Richard and thus it would not take place on the beam at all (where we see Richard wearing shorts). Perhaps it happens while they're standing in line to go on the beam and Richard gets a little too close to Colby for his comfort.

Two things need to be taken into consideration. Firstly, how much do we believe of what has been said? Do we agree that something happens with Richard and that causes outrage? Kristin and Varner appear to agree upon that. Do we believe that the victim is from "down under" as Kristin stated but not Varner? (I do). Do we believe that it was female as Kristin has stated but not Varner? (I don't). Secondly, if it IS someone from Down Under that means Colby, Jerri, Amber or Alicia.

If my thoughts on the shuffle are correct we will see Amber and Jenna L on one team (opposite Richard) and Jerri and Colby on one team WITH Richard. So the second question is...when? When would the incident occur? If it were on the beam, vs. an opponent it'd have to be Jenna L. or Amber. If it were in a congratulatory hug (does Mogo Mogo win IC?) or in a playful aside then it would be Jerri or Colby. I personally felt that Chapera won IC and thus Jerri is gone. I have to admit I can see Chapera losing IC, Richard hugging Colby a little too closely and causing Colby to begin down a path of anger, and Sue bing voted out of Chapera (either because the new members are given immunity or because even with Sue gone Chapera still holds a 4 to 2 vote in next challenge so they can spare someone).

Just more speculation...

AvidFan

Posted by Avid Fan on 02-26-04 at 10:57 AM
Bah...a reply to my own theory. Apparently, based upon Varner's report this morning...

At the coming Immunity Challenge a nude male contestant physically contacts a female contestant, launching an alleged incident where she decides to quit, threatening legal action in a future episode. The alleged situation is said to be so controversial that given Justin and Janet, CBS is walking on eggshells editing this one.

...I guess if I believe it (rather than take it as misdirection) then it would not be Colby

And I thought I had it all figured out...

AvidFan

Posted by volsfan on 02-26-04 at 09:25 AM
Fweep, if CBS and MB have video proof that the incident didn't happen as said female claims...they would show it to prove that the woman's claims are false.

Also, if the "I will sue" is going to be the path that they are going to take...then all this is for the publicity. Get all the media talking and BAM, you have increased your viewing base. Remember, this is all about ratings, nothing else!

"Smoke Screen!"
Posted by Krautboy on 02-26-04 at 09:40 AM
After sleeping on this whole thing, and in light of the early show report, I think this whole thing is a smoke screen to conceal the "shocking" boot while increasing viewership for this week's "Fall of the King"...

Krautboy

"RE: Smoke Screen!"
Posted by Brownroach on 02-26-04 at 10:56 AM
I see you already changed your boot pick.

All this hoopla is too much. Now we have a message from SEG confirming that Sleek28 was a plant. I concur with you that something really strange is going on here.

Posted by Jims02 on 02-26-04 at 12:15 PM
Hey, if they wanted excitement they got it...

We need a Special Spoilers Bar Chat tonight...

A 2004 IceCat creation

Posted by EMT135 on 02-26-04 at 12:11 PM
Waaay too much weirdness going on so close to tonight's airing. I have this image of the Survivor powers-that-be sitting in their ivory towers right now emitting peals of evil laughter watching all of us scratching our heads.
Something tells me that from here on, there will be a concerted effort from the top to toss out elements of both truth and lies. I think we'll get just enough scraps of truth mixed in with the bogus stuff to keep us hooked, where in the past maybe there wasn't quite the same need to share anything of real substance.
Concerning the Hatch/lawsuit situation, maybe parts are true and parts aren't?
If memory serves me right, there was speculation early on that a contestant would have a "temper tantrum/hissy fit." At that time, Ethan was considered the likely candidate.
However, we're now hearing of a hissy fit in connection with Hatch and that it's a woman who loses her cool. Maybe a contestant comes into contact with Hatch's jewels and merely shrieks in horror and forgets about it while someone else has a hissy fit about something completely unrelated. As for the lawsuit, who knows? It wouldn't surprise me if someone says "SUE" in connection with the contestant Sue, and it's misconstrued to mean possible litigation.
Wasn't it Varner who suggested that Hatch smuggled matches? Unless I missed it, that didn't come to fruition. Maybe he's part of the information machine MB uses.
EMT

Posted by erickman on 02-26-04 at 12:35 PM
>After sleeping on this whole thing,
>and in light of the
>early show report, I think
>this whole thing is a
>smoke screen to conceal the
>"shocking" boot while increasing viewership
>for this week's "Fall of
>the King"...
good to see your joining me and orange rich does something crazy and he gets booted lets see if there is a warning at the begining of the ic segment like when mike killed that pig.

"This Makes No Sense At All"
Posted by pmspml5 on 02-26-04 at 12:37 PM
"At the coming Immunity Challenge a nude male contestant physically contacts a female contestant, launching an alleged situation where she decides to quit, threatening legal action in a future episode."

How can a contestant quit - and then even be available to threaten legal action in a future episode. I think she could quit - but the legal action in a future episode is all hog wash - or the legal action isnt hog wash but she doesnt quit.

"Missing comma..."
Posted by Brownroach on 02-26-04 at 04:54 PM
...after the word "action." It should read like this, I believe:

she decides to quit, threatening legal action, in a future episode."

Big day for grammar on the Spoiler board.

"RE: Missing comma..."
Posted by pmspml5 on 02-26-04 at 05:08 PM
I cut and pasted and didnt retype it so it is they way its up on SNN

"RE: Missing comma..."
Posted by Loquatrix on 02-26-04 at 05:11 PM
Yah, but what BR is saying is that there is a comma missing from the sentence which muddies the meaning.

That second comma should have been in Varner's original text. It's an omission by the original author. By adding the comma in (which no doubt many of us have done, mentally, in order to make sense of the sentence) you can see what is actually meant.

Posted by VerucaSalt on 02-26-04 at 12:41 PM
Orange?

Well I think there are a number of people who feel Richard Hatch is going this week (yes that would be me)

Posted by erickman on 02-26-04 at 12:53 PM
>Orange?
>
>Well I think there are a
>number of people who feel
>Richard Hatch is going this
>week (yes that would be
>me)
>

you know who orange is, the person who writes in orange type all the time at sucks and voted off. now i will have to figure out mbr seeing sue in newyork.

Posted by VerucaSalt on 02-26-04 at 12:55 PM
That hurts my eyes

(Double take because I saw that I posted again when I really didn't)

Posted by Fweep on 02-26-04 at 12:54 PM
Hmm I don't agree about Richard going today. If the incident happened and he was voted out today, why would there be any mention of suing anyone when he is gone? It would be a moot point to complain or threaten when he is gone.

Fweep

"Hey erickman!"
Posted by bebekid on 02-26-04 at 01:34 PM
I'm with you and Orange! Go look at my vote in the vote thread yesterday. Snewser seems to be on her side as well. Didn't he say "There's a new fruit in town"?

"RE: Hey erickman!"
Posted by erickman on 02-26-04 at 02:04 PM
>I'm with you and Orange!
>Go look at my vote
>in the vote thread yesterday.
> Snewser seems to be
>on her side as well.
> Didn't he say "There's
>a new fruit in town"?
look who sneweser picked orange

Posted by munson on 02-26-04 at 01:00 PM
Just to be complete, here is the first part of the story (not related to the "incident")...

Jeff Varner: One of Survivor's best is gone, one of the meanest is on the ropes and one couple is brewing up a scandal.

Jeff: Rob Cesternino might have played a brilliant game in the Amazon but as an all star he couldn't hang.

Jeff: The game took a turn when Jerri's fear of Rupert's shelter became reality.

<clip of Jerri confessional about Saboga's hut>

Jeff: The flood forced them to sit in torrential rain for over 5 hours. The effects were devastating but all of it pales in comparison to what's coming.

Jeff then moves on to the part KB references above.

Posted by KObrien_fan on 02-26-04 at 01:28 PM
Jeff Varner: One of Survivor's best is gone,Rob Cesternino one of the meanest is on the ropes Sue Hawk and one couple is brewing up a scandal.Richard Hatch and "outraged" other player

Items in bold are my opinions on who is being talked about here.

Posted by pmspml5 on 02-26-04 at 02:28 PM
I just had a thought about something.

I was thinking a Rich exit would not be a "shocker" UNLESS Mogo Mogo wins IC and Chapera goes to tribal counsel. However because of the whole incident and the female's complaining the producers decide to disqualify him. Chapera goes to tribal council all ready to vote and they are told that a member is being disqualified - and find out that its Rich. That would be really shocking - and it would allow CBS to just add some sort of quote later that the sceen was not shown do to blah blah blah reason.

Peck away

Posted by TeamJoisey on 02-26-04 at 05:25 PM
That would be a shocker. And CBS rarely delivers when they promise a shocker.

My problem with this would be the idea that the offended player threatens a lawsuit in a future episode.

If Richard does something out of line, and the producers decide to evict him from the game, would that not appease the offended player?

Now if Richard goes home tonight through a normal boot, the offended player may think that Richard should have been eliminated for his offense before it ever got to Tribal Council. Hence, they may still be angry with the producers the next morning, and threaten some sort of lawsuit.

Sounds like Jerri to me.

"Partially right...."
Posted by Fweep on 02-26-04 at 11:02 PM
Well it wasn't Jerri, but it was Susan ..(she was my second choice). Nice to see we might get partial credit by saying she is the one we'd think would blow up at JP. Can't wait to see next week.

Fweep.

"KB has been right so far!"
Posted by volsfan on 02-27-04 at 04:43 PM
My hat goes off to KB because what he has said so far is correct. It did happen to Sue and Rich did go home last night! GOOD JOB KB!

I hope this pans out because you have put lots of thoughts into this!