URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID4
Thread Number: 4760
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Rate your reaction to winner"

Posted by XXL Survivor on 05-15-08 at 09:56 AM
LAST EDITED ON 05-15-08 AT 02:36 PM (EST)

On a pure gut reaction based on how you felt finale night (incl. reunion), how happy/unhappy were you with each Survivor winner and the fact that person (not just that player) was taking home a million? Here is my rankings sub-divided into four categories:

A. Hooray, the person I was rooting for won:

1. Tom: from the beginning i had respect for the guy and was rooting for him to win. He was tough, a provider, didn't play too much bs games, didn't back down at anything, was the best challenge performer ever despite his age, etc. Plus he's a firefighter with wife and kids, so more to gain from winning.
2. Danni: hung tough against odds where she had no core alliance and was facing a player that was an idol to some of the others. She worked relationships without being catty, played tough, and overcame to win it all. And she seems like a genuinely nice person.
3. Earl: While I felt a little dissappointed that Yau man did not make finals, I was (almost) equally a fan of Earl. Sure he wasn't a superior gameplayer (though he did not make key mistakes either), but he seems like a genuinely good guy who I am glad won a million.
4. Ethan: Also a good guy, who played the old fashioned way with integrity (a foreign concept in today's survivor). Normally I don't like the young people to win, but he was cool enough that I was happy for him at the time.
5. Yul: Had mixed emotions only cause I equally respected Ozzy, but had no problem with good (and smart) guy Yul winning it all. Also seems like a genuinely nice guy.

B. I'm okay with this winner as it could have been worse...

6. Tina: I was glad pretty boy, arrogant Colby didn't win, and Tina didn't bother me too much, so this was okay.
7. Chris: Given that I didn't like many of the people on this season, Chris was the most acceptable winner to me.
8. Rich: Like everyone I was bummed about Rudy not making it, but I realized somewhere in the last half-hour that I liked Rich as a person better than Kelly. Started to feel that Rich was actually an okay guy, so I was happy enough that he won.
9. Sandra: Well, at least better than Lil winning. Besides, I think she had a family, wasn't rich, and probably needed the money as she wasn't exactly going to be able to parlay her appearance into an acting career.

C. Not quite happy with the winner, but what can you do?

10. Amber: Probably wouldn't have had as much problem with it except for the whole annoying Mariano proposal thing. Kind of made them like co-winners and I was definitely rooting against BRob at that point.
11. Parvarti: Didn't like how mean she seems when behind people's backs. She dismisses people like Eliza and Jason, but not knowing this they give her their votes. She is probably nice enough face to face, but not someone you could rely on.
12. Todd: Okay, I'll concede that he played better than I've given him credit for, but he still was not the mastermind that he believes himself to be. It's not so much that I didn't want him to get the money. I just didn't want him to win to boost his already exaggerated opinion of his own strategic abilities.

D. Ugh!!!!!
13. Aras: Didn't like this guy from day 1. Was pissed he won a million. Can't really remember why though. Clearly Terry was who I wanted to win, and Cirie would have been preferred too.
14. Vee: I wanted Cathy to win and Vee's late and unexpected backstab of her made me mad. Her then acting as if God chose her to win at the reunion show made me madder. I will say that as time has gone by, I've gained respect for her backstab move. It seemed cold at the time, but it resulted in her winning which she would not have been able to do against Cathy so I guess I can't begrudge her that. Still God did not choose Vee to win!
15. Jenna M.: This made me mad at the time on a few levels. a) She seemed at the time like the spoiled sorority girl who only socialized with people in her clique (what Heidi called the young, beautiful people), b) she was a virtual quitter (something I don't respect), c) she was/is an up and coming model that had income potential even if she came in second or third, d) I was mad at Probst and company for not adequately inquiring as to why Kristi/RobC/Deena gave her their votes instead of to Matt who would have seemed like the favorite from a viewer standpoint, and d) she was only 23 and I didn't buy into her being poor. I will say my initial reaction softened as I think she matured (her behavior on reunion show and subsequent appearances was far more endearing than how she was portrayed in the Amazon) and of course her mom dying shows that even young, beautiful, rich people have problems too.
16. Brian: Like Todd, his winning was something he credited to his own genius. Note that I had no problem with him winning until hearing his arrogance about it on the reunion show. Very condascending individual. Add to that the side we didn't know (domestic abuser) and this was by far the most unjust case of someone winning a million dollars.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Rate your reaction to winner"
Posted by Lasann on 05-15-08 at 10:06 AM
I came to Suvivor much later.

Was happy with Earl, Yul, Todd.

Parvati disgusts me.

Posted by Max Headroom on 05-15-08 at 01:13 PM
Liked: Richard, Yul, Ethan, Tina, Earl, Danni

Meh: Parvati, Chris, Amber, Aras, Todd, Tom

Didn't like: Jenna, Sandra, Vecepia, Brian

Posted by smokedog on 05-15-08 at 02:10 PM
I am grouping mine broadly. If I like someone's gameplay and/or personality, then I liked them.

Liked: Rich, Ethan, Brian, Sandra, Chris, Yul,

Ok with: Vecepia, Tom, Danni, Earl, Todd, Parvati

Didn't like: Tina, Jenna, Amber, Aras