URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID4
Thread Number: 4759
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Athletes on Survivor"

Posted by XXL Survivor on 05-14-08 at 11:35 AM
There have been some former pro or high level athletes on Survivor, but they have not been the most successful challenge performers. For example,

1. The first bootee from Palau (name?) was the second ranked Pentathlete (after Jackie Joyner) in the early 1980s. In fairness to her, she was only on one episode, so we don't know if she would have been a better performer than Stephanee (arguably the best female challenge performer ever) if given more of a chance.
2. Gary Hogeboom: was only okay at challenges and actually got beat by Rafe once or twice. Granted the guy is probably in his 50s by now.
3. Ethan: former pro soccer player still young. In Africa, he was good but not unbeatable in challenges. In All-Stars, he was flat out beaten and exposed by Mariano on two occasions. I was surprised by this. Thought a former pro soccer player would be better at these types of challenges.
4. Alex was a triathlon coach, but he could not beat psycho Matt at anything.
5. The other guy (name?) in Palau that played college fball at Penn could not beat Tom or Ian at anything.

So what about the top tier of all time performers? Which had big time sports backgrounds?
1. Tom: I heard he was a pretty good H.S. pole vaulter. Anything else since then?
2. Terry: Anything?
3. Ozzy: Was he a competitive swimmer or anything?
4. BRob: Any sports success before the construction work besides golf???

And the second tier:
5. James: With this guy's size and strength, how is he not in the NFL???? Did he at least play college football? Someone please answer this question.
6. Matt: Anything besides learning Swiss?
7. Colby: I heard he was all-state in h.s. football in Texas. If this is true given how strong Texas h.s. football is, why no college football?
8. Ian: Anything?

And on the female side:
1. Steph: any sports background?
2. Danni: besides broadcasting?
3. Kelly: besides felonly sporting events?

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Athletes on Survivor"
Posted by Colonel Zoidberg on 05-14-08 at 12:08 PM
The athletes, especially current ones, may suffer from one big thing more than anything else - calorie deficiency. Athletes eat about twice as many calories in a day as the average person is expected to. Eating far less will affect them immensely. That was probably what sank Ethan. Gary's shortfall was probably his age.

Tom was a good high school athlete, as was Terry (captain of the baseball team.) Tom had to be in good shape because of his job, as did Terry, but there wasn't any expectation to eat an athlete's diet.

Ozzy was a competitive surfer; in his post-boot Fans vs. Favorites interview, he said that surfing had messed up his shoulders, and that's why he didn't last in the last IC he competed in. I can't speak for Boston Rob.

James said that all he knew growing up was digging graves. His father was a gravedigger, and he had done that since he was 11. Maybe he enjoys the peace that goes with it. I can't speak for the others.

Steph said she was a tomboy, but I don't recall any specific sports.

Danni was into Punt, Pass, and Kick as a kid and knew a lot about football; she may be more of a fan than a player, having been the one to recognize Gary, but her closest connection to sports at this time may be having married a football player (and that didn't buy her anything on Survivor, since she was still single then.)

I can't speak for Kelly, either one of them.

GO RED WINGS!

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 05-14-08 at 05:21 PM
>The athletes, especially current ones, may
>suffer from one big thing
>more than anything else -
>calorie deficiency. Athletes eat about
>twice as many calories in
>a day as the average
>person is expected to. Eating
>far less will affect them
>immensely. That was probably what sank Ethan.

Remember when Ethan unleashed that giant bit of drool during his first meal while on a reward challenge? He was literally starving before then and later barfed it all up because he couldn't control how fast he ate nor how much.

Posted by Colonel Zoidberg on 05-15-08 at 10:26 AM
I don't remember that, but it sounds like something he would do. I've seen people get sick a lot on Survivor, but it's usually not due to that.

GO RED WINGS!

Posted by michel on 05-14-08 at 12:19 PM
Steph was in College LaCrosse which may explain her challenge deficiencies. What is the competitive level of women's LaCrosse in the USA? It looked like Steph wanted to find a sport where she'd be a star rather than one where she'd have competition like, say soccer. Big fish in a small pond sort of thing.

One not mentioned was Ted in Thailand who did make it in the NFL as a linebacker. I don't think he ever made a starting line-up however.

Terry was also a good HS wrestler. Bobdawg could attest to that.

Posted by Brownroach on 05-14-08 at 12:20 PM
From Boston Rob's Marquesas bio:

Robert Mariano was born and raised in Boston, Massachusetts. An avid sportsman, he attended Xaverian Brothers High School where he played on the varsity hockey team and helped his golf team win the state championship in 1991-92.

He currently works as a foreman for a construction company while also serving as head coach for Boston University's Inline Hockey Team. In 2001, he coached the team to their first League Championship followed by their first National Tournament where they proceeded to defeat the two-time defending national champion Michigan State Spartans in overtime.

Mariano attended Boston University where he boxed and played rugby.

Bleauin' ze bleus eaué, coeurtesie oeuf agmanne

Posted by michel on 05-14-08 at 12:25 PM
>"Robert Mariano... helped his golf team win the state championship in 1991-92."

I remember that turned into a joke during one of his TAR stints. One challenge was to hit a ball on a green. If I remember correctly, Rob said he was a good golfer but then the other couple that was there at the same time and Amber all hit the green before he did. That "helped his golf team" tunrned into "Yeah, probably as a caddy!"

Posted by Colonel Zoidberg on 05-14-08 at 12:37 PM
That might have explained why he said, in his final TC speech, taht he would start a scholarship for hockey players if he won.

GO RED WINGS!

Posted by XXL Survivor on 05-14-08 at 03:49 PM
Wow! Ted was an NFL LB. Never would have guessed that. He didn't even seem average in physical challenges.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 05-14-08 at 05:17 PM
He was with the Dallas Cowboys...

There was one particular challenge where the tribes had to pass each other on poles, and Ted just hunkered down on all fours and waited for the other tribe to pass by him, only to get blown right off the pole. He sure used his bulk to great advantage in that challenge.

Posted by iltarion on 05-14-08 at 05:46 PM
Terry was a jet fighter pilot. That is nearly the same as being a pro athlete. You have to keep yourself in great shape for that. Overall probably only 40% of all challenges are tailored to athletes, and the FIC virtually never is, as Terry can attest to.
I laugh a little to see Stephanie referred to as one of the greatest challenge performers ever. Isn't Stephanie the all time loser at challenges? That was one of the endearing things about Stephanie. She is one of the most athletic women to ever play Survivor, and yet, she could never manage to win challenges, kind of like Alicia, who has to be the strongest woman to ever play Survivor.
Actually, the best female challenge performers look something like this-

Kelly W - 4 ICs and won majority of tribal challenges
Amanda - 4 ICs and minority of tribal challenges, over 2 seasons
Jenna M - 3 ICs and majority of tribal challenges
Amber - 2 ICs and vast majority of tribal challenges over 2 seasons

>

Posted by Brownroach on 05-14-08 at 05:58 PM
I don't think Stephenie was ever referred to as one of the greatest challenge performers -- clearly she wasn't that at all, as you say.

I think Probst called her either "the strongest woman" or "the most athletic woman" to ever play Survivor, or something like that. (He might have stuck "arguably" in front of it.)

Bleauin' ze bleus eaué, coeurtesie oeuf agmanne

Posted by michel on 05-14-08 at 06:35 PM
Kelly W - 4 ICs and won majority of tribal challenges
Amanda - 4 ICs and minority of tribal challenges, over 2 seasons
Jenna M - 3 ICs and majority of tribal challenges
Amber - 2 ICs and vast majority of tribal challenges over 2 seasons

Kim J - 2 ICs and majority of tribal challenges
Courtney Yates - 1 IC and all but 2 tribal immunity challenges!!

OK' that's only a joke to point out the type of individual challenges and the contribution of each woman in the tribal ones has to be considered.

I'd put Kelly first. She was great, especially in the final tribal IC that assured Tagi a tie at the merge.

Behind her, I'd include:
- Kathy O'Brien who beat Amber in a few A$$ confrontations
- Danni who won many Tribal challenges and 2 immunities.
- Amanda
- Eliza deserves a spot also. Isn't Eliza the only woman who ever won the car challenge? I'll have to check unless someone can help.

Jenna won a shuffleboard IC, a blindfolded IC where the guys were more interested in groping her and the final one that Matt quit. Not that impressive. Might as well add Darrah who also won quite a few "Mickey Mouse" challenges. Amber was pathetic in the Outback. Candice was more impressive than those 3.

Posted by ohmyheck on 05-14-08 at 10:16 PM
Eliza and Cindy from Guatemala are the only women to win the car, and the curse that goes along with it.

Posted by michel on 05-14-08 at 11:15 PM
How could I forget Cindy??!! I was looking for all the early seasons to make sure I wasn't forgetting one! Still Eliza is better overall.

Posted by ohmyheck on 05-14-08 at 10:14 PM
Jenna actually won 4 IC's, but they were pitiful ones: Cocunut chop, shuffleboard, blindfolded maze, endurance that was handed to her.

Amber only won one individual immunity challenge. Amber won one out of twelve individual IC's, Steph won one out of thirteen, Parvati won one out of twelve, and Cirie won zero out of fifteen.

Eliza is very easily the best puzzle solver in the history of the show.

Kelly W actually won a minority of tribal challenges, but I would still put her on my list of best challenge performers.

My list based on challenge performance:
1. Kelly Wiglesworth
2. Eliza Orlins
3. Kathy O'Brien
4. Amanda Kimmel
5. Jenna Morasca

Posted by iltarion on 05-15-08 at 02:14 AM
LAST EDITED ON 05-15-08 AT 02:15 AM (EST)

I thought Jenna won 4 ICs, but I only remembered 3 for sure. All 4 were pretty weak, yes, but they are still wins. Only her, Kelly and Amanda have ever won so many, among the women.
Amber dominated the other women during the tribal challenges on All Stars. I would take her any day in challenges over Kathy O'Brien.
Danni did well during the tribal challenges, but she only 1 IC that wasn't handed to her. Cindy North actually kicked her butt at every IC they both competed in except the aforementioned one. Yes, Cindy won the RC that had the car (truck) as well. How could you forget? It forever stamps Cindy as one of the most pathetic Survivors of all time. Should I give 4 people all new trucks or keep one for myself? Ah, screw them! What a selfish little beyotch she was. Otherwise, she was one of the stronger female challenge performers.
I agree that Eliza deserves to be mentioned somewhere on the list. She is a fantastic tribal challenge performer.

Posted by XXL Survivor on 05-15-08 at 08:55 AM
>Terry was a jet fighter pilot.
>That is nearly the same
>as being a pro athlete.
>You have to keep yourself
>in great shape for that.
>Overall probably only 40% of
>all challenges are tailored to
>athletes, and the FIC virtually
>never is, as Terry can
>attest to.
>I laugh a little to see
>Stephanie referred to as one
>of the greatest challenge performers
>ever. Isn't Stephanie the all
>time loser at challenges? That
>was one of the endearing
>things about Stephanie. She is
>one of the most athletic
>women to ever play Survivor,
>and yet, she could never
>manage to win challenges, kind
>of like Alicia, who has
>to be the strongest woman
>to ever play Survivor.
>Actually, the best female challenge performers
>look something like this-
>
>Kelly W - 4 ICs and
>won majority of tribal challenges
>
>Amanda - 4 ICs and minority
>of tribal challenges, over 2
>seasons
>Jenna M - 3 ICs and
>majority of tribal challenges
>Amber - 2 ICs and
>vast majority of tribal challenges
>over 2 seasons
>
>>

To go purely by numbers is a bit misleading. If you do that, Colby in S2 or Ethan in S3 or Ruppert in S7 were great while BRob in S4 was not. However, as we saw in S8, BRob was a far superior challenge performer relative to any of them. Point is that competition matters. So to puth Jenna M or Amber in Steph's class is a bit misleading, though I agree that I probably would put Amanda in that category.

So back to Stephanee. Yes she had a terrible record. Her team was going against a team that had Tom, Ian, and a former college football player (name?) who was still in his 20s. Of course they were going to lose, especially when she had some losers as teammates. When she made the merge, she then had to compete against the three guys I just mentioned. I'm pretty sure Jenna Morasco (4 challenge wins in S6 or not) gets shut out in S10 too, and is not nearly as competitive doing it. I'm also sure that if you put Steph in S1, she wins all those same challenges that Kelly won (beating Rich and Rudy is not as hard as beating Tom and Ian). However, I will concede that Steph got exposed a little in S11 where Danni outperformed her in challenges.

As far as Alicia, very mediocre challenge performer. People get thrown off by the body building. Alicia is simply not a good athlete. If going on appearances, her and Osten would be the best athletes and we know neither was the case based on results. As point of evidence, did she ever outperform Amber in any challenge?

As far as the FIC, the last challenge that Terry lost actually was a physical challenge. He fell off balanace. Anyone can have a bad day, but it was still an athletics-based challenge where he not only lost to Aras but came in third behind the female (name?).

Posted by Aruba on 05-14-08 at 08:00 PM
OK...I have the scoop on Terry only because I competed against him in HS.

Plain and simple...this guy was nothing short of phenomenal in HS. He quarterbacked his HS football team to an undefeated record. I saw him wrestle (I wrestled for my HS team) and thankfully we were in different weight classes. LOL He was pretty awesome. Yet his best HS sport was actually baseball. He was all-state and I believe got a scholarship to play baseball at the Naval Academy (then he became a fighter pilot).

When I told my sister that Terry was going to be on Survivor we just looked at each other and said Holy Moly...if the idiots they usually cast for that show can't figure him out early, this guy will run the table on them! Of course we said that in joke but it turned out to be the truth. Knowing what I knew, I personally was not surprised by his dominance.