URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID4
Thread Number: 4742
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"The Biggest Disappointment"

Posted by Jaxxjack on 05-09-08 at 10:35 AM
I’m not sure who I am most disappointed in, Erik or the girls. Erik, who embarrassed all men last night, or the girls for pouncing like a pack of hyenas on a wounded animal. My wife said any man would succumb to the pressure of all those pretty girls, but I told her that if he was 47 and married (like me), and not a wide eyed virgin (which he probably is), there is no way in hell he would have fallen for it.
I am also a little disappointed in the way the girls acted last night. It’s one thing to pull off a stunt like that and be proud of it, but to rub it in just goes a little too far, IMO. I have to wonder what the jury thought of the girls’ reaction, with all the laughing and kissing going on. Will that come back to haunt them?

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: The Biggest Disappointment"
Posted by Ahtumbreez on 05-09-08 at 10:54 AM
Seeing as how the jury was laughing as hard as the girls I doubt it. And really how could it come back to haunt them, they were all pretty much equal when it came to duping him. He's gonna have to pick someone.

Really, Erik for as young as he is, took it pretty well. I was more afraid of how his parents reacted watching the show last night

Posted by iltarion on 05-09-08 at 11:57 AM
Erik and Jason aren't men; they are boys. Therefore I take no embarrassment from them. I was never as gullible as Erik, but on the other hand, if I were as young, single and inexperienced as Erik, and on an island for 36 days with Amanda, Parvati and Natalie walking around in bikinis, my head would be on a fricking swivel and my brains would be mesh as well. The big head would undoubtably no longer be calling the shots. The solo head thing is an advantage that women clearly have in this game, and in life, period.

>

Posted by Wacko Jacko on 05-09-08 at 12:02 PM
I am disappointed for many reason, #1 though being Eric and I went to the same university. I really was wishing for him, the women have behaved terribly. As a group I understand, but still they have shown no remorse at all.

But could someone tell me how Eric thought he would get more jury votes for giving Natalie the immunity necklace?

Posted by nailbone on 05-09-08 at 02:15 PM
He thought that by giving her the necklace, he would make up for breaking their deal to send her to Exile if he won the reward challenge. The old "actions speak louder than words" thing. He'd made deals with all four of them, and they each knew about all the deals, so he was hosed in that respect.

What he forgot is that jury votes don't matter if you're ON the jury.

I'd like to think that I'd be smarter than that, too, but it's an entirely different thing watching on the couch vs. being out there in the elements, tired, hungry, etc. And to be young, star-struck, naive, and surrounded by hot girls in bikinis, well, that'd probably do me in, too.

Posted by PsychoKitty on 05-09-08 at 06:52 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-09-08 AT 06:57 PM (EST)

"And to be young, star-struck, naive, and surrounded by hot girls in bikinis, well, that'd probably do me in, too." Great point Nailbone!!!

I was thinking Erik was such an idiot to fall for that - and truthfully he is - but you are all right that there are other forces afoot - not to mention not enough food, and rest, etc. to make sound decisions. But jeez Erik! Keep your eye on the endgame! Make it to the final two before you give up immunity and THEN worry about your jury votes. He really put the cart before the horse on that one. The jury had every right to be more upset with the other players than him. He had no reason to be so worried - or vulnerable to fall for that line of c###

Not that I have an opinion one way or another ;)
Signature by tribephyl

Posted by nazpink on 05-11-08 at 05:58 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-11-08 AT 06:00 PM (EST)

I think what happened this season is the woman were more the strategist than the men. Parvati, Amanda and Cerie were all game and no play (they got that out of their system the first time around). What also helped was the fact that some of the guys were gullible or simply too nice to play a vicious game. That's why there are four woman left and no men. Too bad Jonathan hadn't been able to stick around...he would have been the one to put the damper in their plans.

Erik was young, he was clearly a fan of the show and the people he played with which I think also contributed to his downfall. In all though, I just don't think he was "worldly" enough to be as vindictive as they were. This led to Erik being easily pursuaded and had he really thought he would have discovered that he was a threat because what did he really do to anyone on jury. I really don't think that Amanda's complaint about him not coming to her aide wouldn't have hurt him as much as he felt it did. The girls found the right place for paranoia with Erik and struck.

I personally don't care for the final four. I was never a big fan of any of the three and Natalie doesn't appeal to me either. I won't completely discredit them as they have played a good game, but I don't see them as masterminds.....had they played against the well known male schemers it would have been different. However, they worked very well with the situation at hand and have so far succeeded where all other woman in past seasons have failed. I didn't like their smugness though. I too see the difference between joy in pulling off yet another perfect blindeside and just being flat out smug. They come across as the cool girls who just embarassed the geeky kid.

Amanda better start winning, which was good for her to get rid of Erik, because I have a feeling that the woman would love to take Natalie along and not Amanda as she was the second threat as far as jury went.

Did anyone notice Ozzy kind of jabbing James to quit the cheering? Seemed to me Ozzy wasn't all that impressed.

Posted by Colonel Zoidberg on 05-09-08 at 12:00 PM
I may not be the foremost Survivor expert (though I did know the answer to all the reward challenge questions,) but to give up immunity? Either he's a fool or the stress of the game has really gotten to him. Maybe I wouldn't be thinking clearly after 36 days. But I doubt I would be insane enough to give up immunity.

GO RED WINGS!

Posted by Spanky68 on 05-10-08 at 00:39 AM
The 40 year old me wouldn't have fallen for it. No chance.

The 21 year old me? Maybe. 10% chance at most. I wondered if one of the girls was going to give him an indecent proposal in exchange for the necklace. His confessionals were almost breathless enough to read that between the lines.

As someone else said in this thread, I cringed for his parents and friends most of all. Being called a moron on TV is harsh, I'd bet. Hearing James call your beloved child "The stupidest Survivor ever" would have to be hard to swallow.

Agman made this fancy sig for me

Posted by aquariaqueen on 05-09-08 at 12:02 PM
The jury was laughing and making faces when there was only a hint of Erik giving up the necklace. Too bad Erik didn't notice their shock and laughter!! Nobody at tribal council contained themselves very well. Who really could?

“I love Jesus but I drink a little”. Gladys Hardy

Posted by PsychoKitty on 05-09-08 at 06:58 PM
Great new 'do Aquariaqueen!!!!

Not that I have an opinion one way or another ;)
Signature by tribephyl

Posted by cliff1956 on 05-09-08 at 02:01 PM
Yes, they did act like simple little school girls. I really don't care who wins, they can all lose for all I care. For Cirie, some say she's brilliant. I think she is merely scheming. For Natalie, she gives womanhood a bad name. Parvati, she and her 8700 teeth in her mush cannot be as much of a tramp as she appears, can she? Amanda, well I guess she is the least of the worst. Erik, you are still a dummy!!!! My wish is that everyone sees that show last night, and someone asks the "women" if they feel really proud of themselves. Then my hope is for that to happen to them.

Posted by nailbone on 05-09-08 at 02:17 PM
For Cirie, some say she's brilliant. I think she is merely scheming.

In the game of Survivor, those are the same thing.

My wish is that everyone sees that show last night, and someone asks the "women" if they feel really proud of themselves.

I imagine they'd all say yes, because you do what you have to do to win. And none of them was sure he'd give it up until he actually did. Remember, a big part of their laughter was shock that he actually fell for it.

Posted by krismiss2us on 05-09-08 at 02:24 PM
I have always held, and still think, that I could play this game without telling a lie. I know everyone says it's part of survivor. I disagree. Lying is a choice people make. You can chose to or not to. So I don't know that any of them deserve to win...except maybe James, who as far as I can remember, hasn't told a lie....no wait, didn't he tell Jason he wouldn't vote him out? Well, there you go; all he had to do was speak the truth. He made a choice.

Of course, if I were in the game, they'd probably spend the entire time looking for me cuz I'm directionally-challenged.

Posted by nailbone on 05-09-08 at 02:29 PM
It would depend on who you're playing against.

Depending on the question asked, by whom, and when, NOT telling a lie can get you voted off.

I can't remember the exact version or situation, but I do remember someone being asked if they plan to vote someone off. Rather than lie they either hedged or didn't answer at all, and because they wouldn't commit one way or the other, they got voted off themselves because they were considered a loose cannon.

Posted by Runnr3003 on 05-10-08 at 03:34 PM
I liked this Kris!!

"Of course, if I were in the game, they'd probably spend the entire time looking for me cuz I'm directionally-challenged."

That was HI-Lariousssssss!!! ROFLMAOOOOOOO

Posted by citywitch on 05-09-08 at 03:36 PM
My wish is that everyone sees that show last night, and someone asks the "women" if they feel really proud of themselves. Then my hope is for that to happen to them.

first, welcome to the boards, cliff. next, by your logic, whoever "does" it to the women won't be able to be proud of themselves, either. it is a game of "outwit, outplay, outlast" and to do it in such a way that you can still get enough votes in the end to win.

Posted by cliff1956 on 05-09-08 at 05:01 PM
Citywitch---I see your logic. But, how can everyone blather on about what a great strategic game Cirie is playing, and yet she was the one who engineered the Erik blunder? Maybe I take the game WAY too serious, but I think the attitudes shown yesterday merely bring the worst in everyone. I believe the motto for the show should be, "Outsteal, Outdeceive, and Outcon". The show is not what it used to be. The stealing, lying, tawdry love affairs, and "win at all cost" attitude have ruined the show. I am not a prude by any means, but let's get a grip!!!

Parvati's glomming on James earlier disgusted me. She impresses me as the typical black widow. I thought Natalie was going to stomp her feet and throw a tantrum when she did not get chosen for the reward challenge with Erik. A spoiled Brat. Cirie seems to be the one to drop the hammer as long as she profits, despite the cutesy attitude.

Just my opinion.

Posted by Karchita on 05-10-08 at 00:14 AM
Welcome, cliff.

I remember being disgusted by the sliminess of Richard Hatch way back in S1 and thinking he had only outconned the others to win, but then I got over it.

Bringing out the worst in everyone, yet still winning the jury's vote is the art of Survivor. I love it.

Posted by Runnr3003 on 05-10-08 at 03:31 PM
Hi Cliff and welcome!

I had put in another thread that I too was very dissappointed with the way the girls acted at TC. I thought they were just downright cruel to Erik.

I think given his youthful age, his natural naive-ness, being without real food and water, the sun and the heat, probably sheer exhaustion, and on an island with bikini clad women would get to anyone in those circumstances. I think he had the best of intentions, which is more than I can say for the girls.

Sure, its for 1 million bucks. Everyone is going to lie, cheat, steal, beg, plead, so on and so on. Erik thought he had a chance - that doesnt make him stoopid. Probably not a bright move, thats true. But thats easy for us to say cuz we not in the middle of the game ourselves.

The girls scheme worked. Good for them. But to verbally whip him like they did was really uncalled for.

Just my humble opinion.

Posted by citywitch on 05-10-08 at 06:37 PM
I agree with your humble opinions Runnr! I think the guys on the jury were just enjoying someone joining their ranks of "dupees"! The girls, I agree, went a little overboard with their success. But now won't it be fun watching the predicments they're in having to start eating each other? Not so much fun for them anymore.

Posted by Aruba on 05-09-08 at 06:52 PM
Men shouldn't be embarassed over Erik's idiocy any more than women should be embarassed earlier this season when Amanda and Parvati skanked their way to the merge.

Not all men are boys...and not all women are skanks.

Actually I wasn't disappointed by anything that went on because it was par for the course. Last night was not the first time Erik showed us what a moron he is and it wasn't the first time the four women exhibited poor sportsmenship.

As far as whether it will haunt them come final TC, the key word in your statement was "ALL". Because all of them acted the same way, it's pretty much a wash and should have no effect on who the Jury ultimately selects.

Posted by iltarion on 05-10-08 at 02:31 AM
I agree with the newcomer, cliffy. I have yet to have it explained to me how lying to someone is "outwitting" them. I should lie to my wife and if I get caught, just tell her that I "outwitted" her. Hahaha... I agree that the game has degenerated to the point where lying and deception of all kinds are considered legitimate game plays, and that, in a sense, is unfortunate. And regardless of the fact that Hatch used deception to win, the game has definitely become more accepting of such behavior. Todd doesn't win against Amanda if that was Season 2 instead of Season 15.
It is certainly true that you don't HAVE to lie to win. That is a fact that seems to have become lost somewhere along the way.
However, that all being said, this is a game, and I do feel there is a certain amount of "reasonable" deception involved. Really since Erik was not up front with any of the women, it is hard to vilify them for deceiving him, and in Natalie and Cirie's case, outright lying to him.

>

Posted by Lucid on 05-10-08 at 06:10 AM
I give the women some credit for picking that such an audacious ploy could work, and for pulling it off.

Erik doesn't appear to be the sharpest knife in the drawer, so tricking him in itself is hardly a glorious achievement, but the manner in which they tricked him was impressive. Very few players would fall for that, but they realised he might, went after it and it worked. Hats off to that.

I think their reactions were somewhat understandable. It was a ridiculous thing to pull off, I'd be laughing too.

Posted by citywitch on 05-10-08 at 10:25 AM
Erik doesn't appear to be the sharpest knife in the drawer, so tricking him in itself is hardly a glorious achievement, but the manner in which they tricked him was impressive. Very few players would fall for that, but they realised he might, went after it and it worked. Hats off to that.

welcome, Lucid! I've got to agree that tricking him was hardly a glorious achievement, they GUILTED the poor guy into every move last night, from Amanda getting to go on reward to giving up the necklace. Geeze, how could that poor boy withstand all that basic judeo-christian guilt & redemption ****? remember that older, tougher, more experienced "men" fell before him, and without all that emotional blackmail.

"My Biggest Disappointment"
Posted by IceCat on 05-10-08 at 07:26 AM

That it didn't last a whole lot longer!

This is what these reality tv shows are all about!

Lying, manipulating, making alliances, breaking alliances...

You had it all in one episode!

The ladies did a great job of spinning the little icecream dude into the ground. The jury loved it, the audience loved it (most of them anyway), even Erik didn't seem too put out.

Good TV... I enjoyed every second of it!

"RE: My Biggest Disappointment"
Posted by garcor on 05-10-08 at 09:04 AM
Erik had no business making it as far as he did anyway, so he should enjoy the extra $$$ he made and not worry too much about looking foolish. He would have been gone long before but Ozzy wanted to keep an extra male vote around, especially one who was only there because of Ozzy, and when it came time to remove IC challenge threats, Erik wasn't as threatening as Ozzy or Jason. He was clearly strategically lost weeks ago, but in a whittled down field was able to hang around by winning IC challenges.

"RE: My Biggest Disappointment"
Posted by Lucid on 05-10-08 at 10:42 PM
I wondered whether people might consider taking him as it was extremely unlikely he could put forward a well considered argument as to why he ought to win.

I suppose the number of fans on the jury might be a reasonable concern.

Posted by beka on 05-10-08 at 07:01 PM
It's not going to come back to haunt them because one of them will win a million dollars.

No offense, but I'm not getting what the girls have to be ashamed of... The only person who should be ashamed of himself is Eric...

Eric had a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE physical advantage over the rest of the women... And so they did the only thing they felt they could do to try to take him out of the game. The fact that it worked, is Eric's fault...This is a game, you know people are playing you. And if they were laughing, well I was laughing too. And they were probably also laughing because they didn't believe it.

Posted by XXL Survivor on 05-11-08 at 10:30 AM
The girls do not need to be ashamed of the move. It was their best move, and a credit to those that correctly recognized Erik's gullibility/stupidity. However, to taunt him after the fact by laughing it up as he walked off was classless. They should have had more respect for him than that. I probably would have done the same move as the girls, but at least I would have felt bad about it. None of the four felt this way.

That being said, Eric was the bigger disappointment. Just cause you're young doesn't mean you have to be stupid. The fact that he actually had some time to think about it and he still did it makes him even more stupid.

Posted by Karchita on 05-11-08 at 03:32 PM
Erik wasn't this completely innocent, remember. In his rather dim-witted way, he tried to outwit all of the women by telling all of them lies. In some cases, it was multiple, conflicting lies. Of course, they figured this out, and of course, they did something about it. He had it coming.

Laughing at someone is always a little bit mean, but this case didn't bother me.

I think Erik is a sweet guy. In his interview, he holds no grudges. I think if his personality was different, the whole episode would have looked different to me, and I would have seen the girls behavior as much more mean-spirited. As it was, they just didn't take him seriously and he really didn't take himself very seriously, either. So I don't see the laughing as cruel as it would be at someone who was serious. Compare the situtation to Ozzy's exit; nobody laughed at him and he sure didn't laugh at himself.

Oh, and Erik didn't walk off, he ran away, which in itself is funny.