URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID4
Thread Number: 4736
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Question- are the faves as a group playing the game better strategically"

Posted by garcor on 05-04-08 at 03:13 PM
Seems no one can stay in control for long, whether its Ozzy, Parvati, Cirie. (Not sure if Amanda can either though she might have an advantage in having played so recently and so doesn't have to relearn the game.) Contrast this with seasons where the final two seemed obvious long before the end and no one ever did anything to change the game.

Beginning to wonder if this is because the faves as a group are playing at a higher strategic level than any previous group? The way all stars were supposed to play. Would make sense as they have played before. All of them have shown an ability to adapt to changing circumstances. (Excepting Fairplay who wasn't into the game, Yau who wasn't around long enough and perhaps James who appears to have a one size fits all strategy.) And several of the fans (Tracy, Alexis, and even Natalie) have shown some ability to plan.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Question- are the faves as a group playing the game better strategically"
Posted by cycles2k on 05-04-08 at 03:33 PM
I would say that the faves are playing the better strategic game.

Cirie is in a bit of trouble now but she demonstrated in confessional that she knows exactly what is going on.

Parvati had some control early on and definitely considered the end game. She has not beat herself but she is up against some other good strategic players.

Amanda, appeared to be doing nothing but her play in the last episode was very good. Her willingness to stick with her allies demonstrates that she is definitely thinking about the end game and jury votes.

Contrast this to the last three fans:

Alexis (gone): Seemed willing to be a coattail rider and hoped to pick up the "you like me" vote at the end. That strategy is not good enough against these seasoned players.

Natalie: Spends so much time in confessionals bashing the men and talking about Natalie that she finds no time to think about the game itself. Sometimes I wonder if she misses the entire point.

Erik: Is star struck. Winning challenges is a good basis to win the million but a social game is also required. He is definitely follower and the object of much manipulation.

Posted by suzzee on 05-04-08 at 04:03 PM
How true regarding the girls. Erik, (starstruck is such a great description, reference his "Jeff Probst, he's standing right there" comment that just proved he was a fan defined by the fact that he was able to turn on a tv.

His only saving grace is that he's just a kid, he'll look back at this in a few years and just cringe at himself. Jeff calling him a freak was such a bash though. He isn't even on a journey of discovery or growth just a lucky field trip IMHO.

He would be the perfect final partner though. I can't see any of the jury giving him a million dollar vote. Is that Amanda's plan for keeping him allied with her at least superficially? Wicked smart.

Spring outfit thanks to Sharnina

Posted by michel on 05-04-08 at 06:13 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-04-08 AT 06:14 PM (EST)

>Beginning to wonder if this is
>because the faves as a
>group are playing at a
>higher strategic level than any
>previous group?

Well, since about episode #4 it seems a theme of the season is "The Fans are Dumb", so I guess it's easy to see that the Faves are Outwitting the Fans but compared to all the previous tribes?

Of the winning tribes, Tagi was essentially Hatch so that wasn't group strategy.

Ogakor played a very good group strategy. The way they fooled Kucha into voting Colby, how they let Keith win F10 immunity and used an occasion to learn that Jeff had votes was outstanding. But what happens if Mike didn't get injured? Individually, Ogakor wasn't that brilliant, Tina was alone.

Boran is the dumbest winning tribe ever! Rotu, Tambaqui, Yasur and NuNakum won as tribes but lost the game. That's also dumb. Chauy Gone should have been Chauy Gone if Sook Jai hadn't committed game suicide. Drake was also very stupid.

Koror was the best tribe in challenges but, when it came to strategy, it was non-existant.

Aitu is the only tribe to have suffered through a mutiny so they can't be considered a strong group.

Ravu and Moto both had their issues.

That leaves two contenders to challenge the Faves: Casaya and Fei Long.

Casaya defeated a strong, united tribe to the merge and afterwards, every player except Bruce had an individual strategy to get to end. They still managed to keep enough group dynamic to have one of theirs win the game. They were also one of the most entertaining tribes!

Fei Long was demolishing Zhan Hu before the switch and they also had some strategists at the end. Jean Robert tried his best, Amanda made her play while Todd understood strategy like few others.

The Faves were tied before the switch up and, after the merge, let some openings that the Fans simply didn't seize.

Overall, I'd give the advantage to Casaya.

I'm sure few will agree!

Posted by iltarion on 05-04-08 at 06:46 PM
You are sure right about that, about people not agreeing.
Koror was great at challenges, but had no strategy?? Whuh? How? Who? I don't see how you figure that.
I would argue that Koror, Chapera, and Malakal are the 3 strongest strategical teams. However, Chapera and Malakal are both tribes of All-Stars; so I think it is fair to dismiss them.
Casaya and Fei Long were two of the strongest strategical tribes. I agree with that. However, if you compare individuals, they both had two strong strategical players that played with an end game in mind: Aras and Cirie and Todd and Amanda. Koror had at least 4 such players in Gregg, Katie, Ian and Tom. And even leaving Jenn and Caryn out is being somewhat unfair. Caryn was always on the outside, but she struggled like all-hell to get herself into an alliance that would work. I always felt Koror had the strongest F6 ever. All six were strategic players.
But again, even Koror doesn't compare with either tribes of All-Stars.
Casaya against Malakal? Whuh?? Please. Cirie is on both; so are you saying Aras, Danielle, Courtney and Shane are stronger strategic players than Parvati, Amanda, Ozzy, Jonathan, and Ami, etc.? No contest.

>

Posted by michel on 05-04-08 at 07:41 PM
What do you know? I had forgotten Chapera. Probably because I never thought of them as strategic. It was the Rob show and little else. Big Tom, Alicia and Rupert bring the strategic average down!

Strategy isn't only thinking of making moves, it's also about making them and Koror didn't make any. Gregg is still waiting for the right time to move on Tom. If you look carefully at tape of this season which was also fimled in Palau, I think you can see Gregg standing behind a tree, talking about his plan.
Caryn was a tool. Jenn was going with the flow. Katie was smart but didn't act either. Tom and Ian's plan worked almost unopposed.

Jonathan and Ami never made it to the individual part so I wasn't counting them in the Faves' group. Ozzy, strategic? NO.

Anyway, this is only for fun.

Posted by iltarion on 05-04-08 at 11:38 PM
Fun? Of course. It sure isn't work.
Gregg knew when to move on Tom- the F5. The problem is that Tom saw it coming and moved on him first. That wasn't poor strategy by Gregg, just better strategy by Tom. Caryn and Jenn tried to move on
Tom and Ian too. They just couldn't, mostly thanks to Katie.
In Chapera, everyone thought they had a way to the end. Unfortunately for everyone except Amber, they all thought it was with Rob. Rupert actually played a a decent strategical game the second time around. He was an IC win at F4 from winning the whole thing.
Ozzy also played a decent strategical game this second time around. He got himself into the majority alliance and had a shot to make it to the end. He screwed up by letting everyone know he had the HII, but he is a target after merge no matter what he does strategically.

>

Posted by krismiss2us on 05-05-08 at 12:19 PM
how do you people remember all these past seasons? i can barely remember last thursday's episode....i'm amazed!

Posted by iltarion on 05-05-08 at 04:15 PM
Because people in here, especially myself, are fruitcakes.
Thanks to Versus I've pretty much seen every Survivor season twice. That helps. Of course, my posts show that I still don't remember everything. Or, as Roger Clemens would put it, I misremember some stuff.

>

Posted by dabo on 05-04-08 at 10:55 PM
Airai failed to come together as a tribe to develop a team strategy. There were a few good strategic thinkers for their own games but they never developed a strong team, dominant alphas were pitted against one another, disruptive elements were ignored.

Malakal formed two solid alliances from the start but didn't include everyone, they came together for the Fairplay sacrificial boot but after that they allowed Cirie to decide which alliance would dominate, naturally she picked the one she could more easily pick apart.

Frankly, I think this late game trend of targetting jury threats is ridiculous.

Posted by XXL Survivor on 05-05-08 at 08:21 PM
I want to participate in this thread, but I can't remember all these tribe names. Can anyone define (either by season or by a member) all the tribe's Michel identifies in the long thread above?

Posted by michel on 05-05-08 at 09:45 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-05-08 AT 09:48 PM (EST)

Here goes:

- S1 Borneo: Tagi (Hatch, Sue, Rudy) vs Pagong (Gretchen, Gregg, Colleen)

- S2 Outback: Ogakor (Tina, Colby, Jerri) vs Kucha (Lis, Micheal, Vermin... I mean Varner)

- S3 Africa: Boran (Ethan, Lex, Kelly) vs Samburu (Silas, Frank, Teresa)

- S4 Marquesas: Maraamu (Vecepia, Rob, Sean) vs Rotu (John, Kathy, Neleh)

- S5 Thailand: Chuay Ghan (Brian, Clay, Helen) vs Sook Jai (Penny, Jake, Shii Ann)

- S6 Amazon: Jaburu (Jenna, Heidi, Deena) vs Tambaqui (Rob, Matt, Roger)

- S7 Pearl Island: Drake (Sandra, Rupert, Fairplay) vs Morgan (Savage, Tijuana, Lill)

- S8 A$$: Chapera (Amber, Rob M., Rob C.) vs Mogo Mogo (Hatch, Lex, Colby) vs Saboga (Jenna L, Rupert, Jerri)

- S9 Vanuatu: Lopevi (Chris, Sarge, Rory) vs Yasur (Ami, Eliza, Twila)

- S10 Palau: Koror (Tom, Ian, Gregg) vs Ulong (Stephenie, Bobby Jon, Angie)

- S11 Guatemala: Nakhum (Danni, Judd, Brandon, BJ) vs Yaxha (Stephenie, Gary, Rafe)

- S12 Exile Island: Casaya (Aras, Danielle, Cirie) vs LaMina (Terry, Dan, Sally)
(Bayoneta and Viveros were the 2 other original tribes of 4)

- S13 Cook Islands: Aitutaki (Yul, Jonathan, Ozzy) vs Rarotonga (Parvati, Adam, Nathan)
(Puka Puka and Hiki were the other 2 original tribes of 5)

- S14 Fiji: Ravu (Earl, Yau Man, Rocky) vs Moto (Alex, Dreamz, Lisi)

- S15 China: Fei Long (Todd, Amanda, James) vs Zhan Hu (Peih Gee, Jaime, Frosti)

Posted by PsychoKitty on 05-06-08 at 08:49 PM
Thank you for that Michel! I saved it for future reference

Not that I have an opinion one way or another ;)
Signature by tribephyl

Posted by michel on 05-06-08 at 09:18 PM
Actually, this is 1000x better.

http://www.survivorfever.com/survivor_contestants.html

Posted by garcor on 05-06-08 at 07:06 AM
Not sure. Who should they target if not final TC threats?

Posted by NedraSue on 05-06-08 at 01:46 PM
OMG...I am amazed that anyone can go through all of the seasons and recite who was on which season. I am utterly impressed!

I have watched every episode since the Boreno merge...either from a taped version or like most everyone, Thursday nights at 7pm. But there is no way I could do that.

Heck, I call my son my dogs name first then my daughters name, before getting out that his name is NICK!

Way to go. I am not even in the same league as you all!

Thanks for letting me lurk..............

Posted by iltarion on 05-06-08 at 04:22 PM
Nedra, all this info can be found online, so there is no reason to remember it all, other than simply saving time.
If you've watched every episode since Borneo, then you know more than most. Glad to have you lurking.

>

Posted by jbug on 05-08-08 at 10:19 PM
Yep, after tonite, I'd say the FAVS are a bit more strategic.

Every day is Spring with Agman