URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID48
Thread Number: 473
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Paradise Hotel was superb!!"

Posted by marcjuk1985 on 04-29-04 at 08:53 AM
I'll miss it!

One night I was just flicking through the channels and there was nothing on and the scenery of the hotel caught my eye so i thought i'd watch it....I ended up well and truly HOOKED!

I have to say I can't believe how nasty and out-spoken you Americans are! The hatred in the faces of the ex guests when they were grilling the final 4 was horrifying!!

Toni is superb though - YATZI!

Brilliant show, shame it was on channel 5 here in the UK because I think it could have caught on. I hope the new series is shown over here too.

I'm chuffed for Charla her being the outsider in 1st week brought out the Brit in me. We love an underdog and I wanted her to win.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Paradise Hotel was superb!!"
Posted by Chrissy gal on 04-29-04 at 10:15 AM
I ended up well and truly HOOKED!

You are not the only one! Paradise Hotel finished airing in the U.S. last fall and I STILL miss it.

I can't believe how nasty and out-spoken you Americans are!

It's great that other countries were able to watch this show, but I think it probably did a lot to hurt the American reputation even more. I want to assure you that most Americans could not even come close to being that nasty or outspoken. The producers of Paradise Hotel did a good job of finding the worst of the worst!

Posted by marcjuk1985 on 04-29-04 at 11:40 AM
The thing is...

It's great to watch. The thing that makes British reality shows so mundane (in comparison to US ones) is that we're all too polite to other people over here.

I could have slapped most of them (especially Amy, Zack and Beau) they took it SO seriously and personally. They made out that they were angels playing the game with dignity whilst Dave and Charla were villains for doing a bit of back-stabbing. I found it hilarious that they vilified them for doing exactly what they were doing.

There were some serious ego's in that place but I thought it was great television and they'll be hard-pressed to find a cast as good as that. They really would have to scrape the barrel!

Posted by Skyla on 04-29-04 at 01:16 PM
I have to agree that i was absolutetly stunned at how pathetic, bitter, two faced, uncivil and immature the behaviour was of the guests. Especially the "originals". Zack was especially guilty of all of the above.Though I suppose thats what made it so entertaining but frustrating at some times especially when the old guests came back and started the slaughtering Charla, Tara etc when they were equally if not more guilty of bitching and back stabbing. Surely they must have been embarressed when they watched their behaviour on tv.
I thought Keith had a great attitude - "ITS ONLY A GAME". How true!!!!!!!!!1
I cant believe Charla didnt give Dave any money that was totally out of order.

Posted by marcjuk1985 on 04-29-04 at 01:49 PM
I don't think Dave helped himself by his attitude when Charla came to talk to him after her thinking time.

He came across very desperate and unsympathetic towards the situation Charla found herself in. He didn't put her at ease like Tara did with Keith. It was Charla's money to give away and I don't think Dave helped himself by the way he was when she came and spoke to him.

I agreed with Charla not to give him the money after watching their little chat.

Posted by Skyla on 04-29-04 at 02:36 PM
I agree that Dave didnt help his case he always managed to answer questions in an awkward and totally wrong way but i dont think the decision should have been based on that and more the whole show. The last 4 would never have got their without each other so thay all deserved an equal share!!!! The way Charla questioned him was out of order. Of course he wanted the money, he deserved it and im sure he'd have given half to Charla if it was him. She put him in a position where if he acted as though he wanted the money it meant he valued it more than their friendship.

Posted by Skyla on 04-29-04 at 02:37 PM
agree that Dave didnt help his case he always managed to answer questions in an awkward and totally wrong way but i dont think the decision should have been based on that and more the whole show. The last 4 would never have got their without each other so thay all deserved an equal share!!!! The way Charla questioned him was out of order. Of course he wanted the money, he deserved it and im sure he'd have given half to Charla if it was him. She put him in a position where if he acted as though he wanted the money it meant he valued it more than their friendship.

Posted by manicren on 04-29-04 at 08:51 PM
Charla should've given Dave the money of course (her reason "I just think it's the right thing for me to do right now" - no it was the wrong thing to do, Toni just alleviated your guilt enough with her evil speech to let you do the selfish thing you wanted) but it was more fitting he came away with nothing.

Dave played the game brilliantly (apart from the bit with Holly) he kept himself in it, and built up a great faction. But trusting Charla was his achilles heel, that whole friendship was so one sided. He was blind and it cost him.

It was the sheer lack of self-awareness that made the game for me. The fact that Amy, Zack, Kirsten, Alex, Toni and the rest didn't ever think they did anything wrong. They managed to watch themselves on tape and somehow their brains just filtered out all the bits that conflicted with their inflated self image.

I don't know what I'm going to do with myself now its finished (here in the UK). The concept was great and the people were rubbish, and that's what made it so brilliant - love the show, hate the people.