URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID4
Thread Number: 4711
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"In praise of Eliza."

Posted by Estee on 04-11-08 at 08:01 AM
Give her credit: she took one look at the stick and figured out, in rapid-fire order:

1. It was a fake.
2. Who had the real idol.
3. Why it had been planted.
4. That Jason was an idiot.

Actual thought process invoked within the game. That's rare. And then on her way out, she guaranteed the blindside which Ozzy seems to want so very badly -- aided and abetted by Ozzy himself, but at least she was willing to give him a hand.

I'm glad she reached the jury. Her final judgment may not be fair, rational, or unbiased -- but at least she'll be able to provide the illusion.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: In praise of Eliza."
Posted by michel on 04-11-08 at 09:15 AM
Gotta agree. I'd even add:

5. She knew she was toast.

Posted by aquariaqueen on 04-11-08 at 09:50 AM
6. "So that means Ozzy has the real Idol". (paraphrased)

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it" - Albert Einstein

Posted by Runnr3003 on 04-11-08 at 10:38 AM
AMEN!!!! Thank you Estee! Not only did your post provide me the first chuckle of my day, I totally agree with you!

Posted by jbug on 04-11-08 at 11:03 AM
She was playing with what she had.
I can't stand Poverty and her arrogant b*tchy mouth.
What is so different from Eliza trying to play the "I'm with you guys" card and Poverty playing in 2 alliances? She was acting so stoopid. I'd love to see her gone soon - real soon.

jbug is a pain in the #####

"and in disgust of Parvati"
Posted by finallytyping on 04-11-08 at 04:57 PM
Just a tad bit ironic, the scene where Parvati was staring at Eliza while
saying, "look, she's staring at us!" Never in a Survivor moment have
I felt such disgust for a player. Out there in the world there are a million
intelligent outcasts empathizing with Eliza and unfortunately only a handful
of Parvati-like "incasts" that have the brains to realize that what Parvati was
doing was repulsive.

"RE: and in disgust of Parvati"
Posted by iltarion on 04-11-08 at 10:08 PM
I agree. That scene also bothered me and made me feel bad for Eliza. Parvati and Amanda were clearly playing the "in girls" who thought they were too cool for Eliza. The funny thing is that I think Eliza and Parvati are about equal looks-wise, with Eliza actually having the better body.
I didn't rail on that immediately because there could be some editing involved there. Parvati did complain that Eliza made no effort to work with her, even when they were both on Airai. If that is true, then it might also be Eliza's fault that she was being treated that way.
Other than the fact that she talks a lot, neither season Eliza was in has really identified what is so irritating about her personality. And obviously, Ami, from their time together on Vanuatu, likes Eliza a lot. So, I don't know what it is.

>

Posted by jbug on 04-11-08 at 11:08 AM
Can I also use this thread to say what a nim-com-poop Alexis is?
She 'played' this and that. What a dork! And didn't realise what she'd said till Eilza explained it to her.
If she were a quick thinker, she'd have said she was referring to Eliza's original season lack of social play.

Posted by iltarion on 04-11-08 at 03:29 PM
Adios to that social enigma, Eliza. She proved herself a fighter and one of the best puzzle solvers to ever be on Survivor, but her mysterious ability to annoy people once again kept her on the outside of all alliances.
It was an unfortunate twist that had her playing the fake idol instead of Jason, but I had actually already asserted that faced with elimination anyway, the holder of the fake idol didn't have much choice but to try it.

>

Posted by mysticwolf on 04-11-08 at 03:30 PM
I think the exchange between Eliza and Jason has to go down as my pick for funniest moment of any season.

Eliza: "That's a fake!"
Jason: "How do you know?"
Eliza: "Because it's just a stick!"
Jason: "I know. But, it has a face on it..."

A Sweet Seana

Posted by 4aRide on 04-17-08 at 06:59 AM
It ranks up there with:

Chet: I bumped my head back there.
Joel: I don't care.
Chet: I know.

Posted by citywitch on 04-11-08 at 05:50 PM
if only her quick thinking could have taken her one step further, she would have realized Jason really thought that what he had was the idol and played to it. "Why don't you give me the necklace, and YOU play the idol. Imagine the look on Ozzy's face when he sees YOU found it and not him" etc. etc.

Posted by Estee on 04-11-08 at 06:11 PM
That idea is cropping up all over, with a lot of posters coming up with it independently: I think it showed up in the GUFU thread first. I still think it would have been the greatest move in series history.

Posted by citywitch on 04-12-08 at 08:15 AM
yikes..my own personal GUFU..next time I'll be sure to read all the forums before posting

Posted by Estee on 04-12-08 at 05:52 PM
LAST EDITED ON 04-12-08 AT 05:55 PM (EST)

No shame attached -- I think it says something about how much better this group of fans is that so many people are coming up with this. A lot of us would have gone for that move. Eliza didn't. Who's the better player, you or her?

Posted by iltarion on 04-12-08 at 05:55 PM
Jason would have never given up the necklace. No one is THAT dumb.

>

Posted by 4aRide on 04-17-08 at 07:05 AM
I don't think "dumb" would have put him over the top. His gargantumongous arrogance was enough.

Posted by MattyMax on 04-11-08 at 05:58 PM
I, too, REALLY liked Eliza.

She was a victim of bad fortune, losing both Jonathan and that crazy quitter lady.

Also, it's been kind of a joke in past seasons that some people are 'good at puzzles', but Eliza's skills delivered victory to her team MANY TIMES. On that note, though, she probably could have thrown a challenge and gotten Parvati out...

Why don't people like Eliza, though? She had the SAME ISSUES in Vanuatu. Smart, crafty, but made few, short-lived alliances.

Oh well, I'm glad she took Ozzy out with her!

Posted by Jims02 on 04-11-08 at 07:49 PM
LAST EDITED ON 04-11-08 AT 07:51 PM (EST)

I was really pulling for Eliza, but some of her strategy kinda bugged me. She never really seems to proactively try to form alliances. They always would seem like a reaction to something scary forming around her. The Eliza/Jonathan/Yau/Ami alliance only formed as a response to the couples' alliance. Her alliance with Jason recently formed as a response to being on the outside. Maybe we didn't see everything, but it always seemed like Eliza waited too long and would get in bad situation.

She did get a bit of bad luck too. She survived being in a minority alliance and made it to a swap, but unfortunately, it didn't do her any good, as her tribe went on a winning streak. It's weird to think that a winning streak can hurt you, but it did for Eliza. It limited her chances to go after Parvati/James, and some of her potential allies got voted out on the other tribe (Ami, possibly Tracy). So when they merged, she was in about as bad of a position as before.

By swap time, I don't honestly see what more Eliza could've done strategically. Even if she could've gotten to Alexis and Natalie, they still would've needed Erik at the merge to force a tie, which might've proved somewhat difficult. If she had Jonathan still, it would be a lot easier but that's a moot point, considering what actually happened.

Posted by TxMom2011 on 04-12-08 at 10:29 AM
Jonathan..... I wish he were still in the game

Posted by ohmyheck on 04-11-08 at 08:53 PM
I agree with you, and I would definetely say that Eliza is the smartest person to ever play the game. Unfortunately, she is also one of the unluckiest.

lost by tribe

Posted by Aruba on 04-11-08 at 10:23 PM
Excellently stated, Estee!!!

Although if Vanuatu is any indication, I think she will be fair and unbais. Heck, she voted Chris to win the million that season.

Posted by XXL Survivor on 04-12-08 at 11:24 AM
I'm preaching to the choir on this one, but...

why is Eliza so disliked by her fellow Survivors? She seems very like-able from a viewer's standpoint. Pavarti on the other hand annoys me greatly.