URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID4
Thread Number: 4685
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Is anyone in charge?"

Posted by garcor on 03-07-08 at 07:21 PM
I've read that Cirie is running the game. I see her more as an opportunistic outsider, whose talent is finding more dangerous players and convincing her tribemates to send them home so she can stay in the game longer. Don't see much evidence of her building alliances herself.

Leads to the question, is anyone in charge? I though Parvati/Amanda might be on Favorites, with Tracy and Joel holding together independent voting blocs on Fans. That was before the switch.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Is anyone in charge?"
Posted by 4aRide on 03-07-08 at 10:04 PM
She came into the game unable to express any strategy whatsoever, and would do her silly little interviews, and then make faces and chuckle at the end like she couldn't take herself seriously.

I don't know what sort of a spell she puts on people. It's like they MUST obey her. Strongarm one week - Yau Man is sent off like a dried husk in a hurricane. A few weeks later, she gets almost unanimous help to throw the Truck under a bus in order to protect her cushion of weaker players.

I, for one, was literally screaming "NOOOOOOOOO" when she started to hatch her latest plan. It was like watching a bad move that I knew wasn't going to end well.

Posted by iltarion on 03-07-08 at 10:11 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-07-08 AT 10:12 PM (EST)

The whole edit with Cirie arguing for the Joel boot was overplayed, and I'm not buying it. The only time Ozzy really talked about booting Chet was when he was with Joel, no surprise there.
In reality, as I predicted last week, the tribal switch has fully initiated the battle-of-the-weakest we have seen many times. With strong alliances already set, it no longer matters if you make it to the merge in the majority or not. The worst thing for Ozzy/Amanda/Cirie would be if they won immunity, and the other tribe booted James or Parvati. Really, the Ozzy alliance should lose the next couple ICs and boot Erik, Tracy and Chet in order. That would be their best move, unless they don't trust James and Parvati, which I certainly think they can.
With the tribal switch, keeping strong players no longer has any value. In fact, booting the stronger players is probably the better move. I mean, who cares which "fan" goes, as long as it is a "fan"? And with that in mind, you might as well boot the strongest one.
Logic says Joel was in big trouble, regardless of whether Cirie opened her mouth or not.

>

Posted by garcor on 03-08-08 at 08:33 AM
LAST EDITED ON 03-08-08 AT 08:35 AM (EST)

Any chance Ozzy chose Joel with booting him in mind? I doubt it; figure he just let himself be persuaded to do what was in his interest anyway.

But, if Tracy/Cirie/Chet etc. now form an alliance of weaker players, aren't Ozzy/Amanda their first targets. And if they suspect Ozzy has the idol, they could force him to guess whether to play it himself or give it to Amanda. Gives Ami good reason to consider her options. Erik might be worth approaching by O/A if they suspect one of them could be next.

Course if they want to win any challenges they need to keep both O/A for a while. If not .

Posted by iltarion on 03-08-08 at 06:54 PM
It is not in Cirie's best interest to turn on Ozzy/Amanda, and I don't think Erik would ever vote with Chet and Tracy. So, that alliance idea doesn't work. Erik or Tracy are the obvious next boot.

>

Posted by garcor on 03-10-08 at 05:57 AM
LAST EDITED ON 03-12-08 AT 05:42 AM (EST)

Indeed, as long as voting breaks down as Favorites vs. Fans. But if Cirie (and Ami) are convinced that the showmances are intent on being the final four, don't they have a reason to consider other options. In an alliance with Tracy/Chet/Kathy, Cirie is instantly the smartest player (except perhaps for Tracy)and would have a decent shot at winning immunity challenges too. Not much chance of that against Ozzy, etc.

Ami would have to love her chances in challenges against Tracy, etc.

With two of the three Fans self-proclaimed alliance leaders gone, Tracy/Chet/Kathy might be their strongest remaining alliance. Not exactly scary.

Posted by agman on 03-08-08 at 10:24 AM
I don't believe Circie is in charge as much as nobody else seems to know what they are doing now. Many have had to change game plans with this new merger, so they looked like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off (With apologies to chet ). I think she recognized that and took a chance which ended up working.

Sculpted by Tribe

Posted by Aruba on 03-08-08 at 11:05 AM
To answer your question "Is anyone in charge?", the answer is YES. The Favorites are in charge. From day one they had a mission to outlast as many fans as they could. This week's tribal switch did nothing to alter that objective.

If anything I thought it was pretty stupid for Cirie to work Ozzy. The Favs got an early Christmas present when both Tracy and Chet flipped. I'm thinking Cirie must have graduated from the same math class as Lisi (Fiji), because they already had the necessary five votes to oust Joel because of the double flip. Putting herself "out there" to get that unnecessary sixth vote was plain dumb.

Posted by michel on 03-09-08 at 00:31 AM
People should simply realize that Cirie is smart, much smarter than your average Survivor player...and fan!

BTW: She needed to convince Ozzy because without him she didn't have votes #5 and 6. Amanda wasn't voting differently than Ozzy.

Posted by Aruba on 03-09-08 at 02:06 PM
>People should simply realize that Cirie is smart, much smarter than your average Survivor player...and fan!
>

Well since my contention has been for years that "your average Survivor player" probably possesses an IQ of 60...that's not saying a whole lot.

I have always given Cirie all the credit in the world for being able to take advantage of opportune situations that have come her way. And you can make a case that "your average Survivor player" historically has not.
But is she smart? NADA!

Posted by iltarion on 03-10-08 at 11:39 PM
I would never say Cirie isn't smart, and I do appreciate intelligence in this game, i.e. Yul. However, my problem with Cirie is that her strongest trait isn't her intelligence; it is the fact that she is weak and viewed as a non-threat. Her motto, which we've heard over and over again, is "anyone but me," which is the UTR theme first utilized to perfection by Sandra. In my opinion, these players progress in the game by-the-leave of the stronger players. They can't win on their own terms. They can only win if other players make the decisions to give them the win. Hahaha... I think I've talked about this enough though. Peace.

>

Posted by Aruba on 03-11-08 at 04:59 AM
Appropriately and truthfully stated...Slam Dunk!

Posted by michel on 03-11-08 at 11:26 AM
>In my opinion, these
>players progress in the game
>by-the-leave of the stronger players.
>They can't win on their
>own terms. They can only
>win if other players make
>the decisions to give them
>the win.

No one can win Survivor "on their own term". Even Tom needed help and mistakes from other players. Yul also needed the mistakes of Raro and the greediness of Jonathan despite his too powerful HII.

Cirie's realization that "Courtney is more dangerous than Terry" remains one of the most profound insight into this game and showed that her game is much more than "anyone but me".

Posted by Aruba on 03-11-08 at 02:18 PM
WOW!!!! Where do I start? LOL

I think what Iltarion is saying is that by winning "on your own terms" you are proactively controlling the game. As opposed to riding coattails, flying UTR, and/or advancing through osmosis because the REAL survivors are being systematically voted out.

As difficult as it may be, I believe it's possible to "win on your own terms." Sure you need alliances and the rules/format for that particular season need to work to your advantage, but it is possible.

Tom Westman had a good alliance to assure him victory, but I believe he controlled the game "on his terms." Brian (Thailand) had the perfect goat, but I believe he won "on his terms." I could think of other examples where it's possible to win on your own terms.

>Cirie's realization that "Courtney is more
>dangerous than Terry" remains one
>of the most profound insight
>into this game and showed
>that her game is much
>more than "anyone but me".
>

"profound insight"???????
On Exile Island during the "Three Strikes yer Out" RC, Courtney was voted "Most Annoying". If that's not a neon sign flashing over her head saying "This is the perfect goat to take to the Finals", I don't know what it. I would consider that observant more than profound insight. And with Shane blabbering that Courtney would be a "dream" to sit next to in the Finals pretty much sealed Courtney's fate without any "profound insight".

As for Courtney being more dangereous than Terry...to achieve what objective? If you're primary objective is the Clay or Katie Strategy for Survivor (just wanting to make the Finals) then you have a point. But if your primary objective is to win Survivor, that statement makes no sense. Terry would have beaten anyone in the Finals; Courtney had NO prayer of winning.

Posted by Colonel Zoidberg on 03-11-08 at 02:40 PM
It all depends on how you look at it. A player can be "dangerous" if they are taking up a spot in the final vote that could otherwise go to a "real" player> Everyone wants to take Courtney, which means she's no threat to win, but she's a threat to knock a player out of the final vote. Terry's a threat to win and would have beaten anybody, but people see that and look to get rid of him at their first chance, thus freeing up a spot for a "lesser" player.

To say that Courtney is more dangerous is a bit of a fallacy in this case. They're probably equals in terms of how threatening they are, but both are threats in different ways.

Posted by michel on 03-11-08 at 05:41 PM

Is it your goal to control the game or win it? Anyway, at F6, Caryn controlled the game, not Tom. Too bad for her that she had no clue what to do with that control. I remember writing during Palau that Kathy and Caryn's only chance to win were against each other so it was funny that they were determined to eliminate each other!! As far as I'm concerned, if you are playing to win and have a plan, you are a real survivor.

>Tom Westman had a good alliance
>to assure him victory

The way you phrased it makes me want to ask: Why did Koror play to assure Tom's victory?

>If that's not a neon sign
>flashing over her head saying
>"This is the perfect goat
>to take to the Finals",
>I don't know what is.

Most people want to use the goat for their own benefit. The insight was Cirie realizing she couldn't use the goat and that she didn't need the goat.

Posted by Aruba on 03-11-08 at 07:42 PM
If I were playing Survivor, my goal would be to WIN the game.

In Palau how did Caryn control the game at F6????

Tom and Ian controlled it at F6 on two counts.

1) They made a deal before the IC that they would be willing to play the "colored stone" tie-breaker at TC should the vote be 3-3. That spooked Caryn to be their fourth vote.

2) Tom and Ian feared that Katie might flip, so they agreed that whomever was booted the other would make sure Katie would not advance as her "punishment" for flipping. Tom explained that to Katie on the beach and with Tom and Ian dominating the ICs, it was threat she had to take seriously.

Now THAT'S control!

This is what I meant when I said that Tom had a good alliance to assure his victory. For some reason you seemed to twist it around and insinuate the Korer assured Tom's victory. I never said that. What Koror "assured" to do was eliminate every "So-Long" tribe member. When that was achieved, then the F6 Tom/Ian control as explained above kicked in.

Cirie didn't need a goat??? If she was sitting next to Terry in the Finals she sure would have wished she had a "goat". She'd be making the same wish if she as sitting next to Aras. She would have won next to Danielle, but that's not insight; that's blatently obvious.

Posted by michel on 03-11-08 at 08:28 PM
We shouldn't be debating Palau still but I just wanted to point out that this is wrong:

"They made a deal before the IC that they would be willing to play the "colored stone" tie-breaker at TC should the vote be 3-3. That spooked Caryn to be their fourth vote."

Caryn was the 3rd vote that gave them a shot at a 3-3 tie. Katie was the one spooked into being their 4th vote. If Caryn had realized her position of strength, she could have gone to Gregg and told him what Tom was planning.

Had Cirie faced the jury, neither you nor I know how it would have turned out against Terry or Aras. All I know is she had a shot.

Posted by Aruba on 03-11-08 at 09:49 PM
I can't remember exactly but you may be right. #2 could have preceded #1. But it really doesn't matter. Point is NO ONE wanted their fate at Day 30 to rest on drawing the right stone, so Tom & Ian get the 3rd and 4th votes they needed.

So what if Caryn tells Gregg Tom's plan. It still would not have changed anything. Gregg and Jen were working feverously to get Katie and Caryn on their side regardless, but it didn't work because Tom and Ian had control.

Cirie's "shot" to beat Terry or Aras would have been the slimmest at best.

Posted by michel on 03-12-08 at 07:45 AM
"Gregg and Jen were working feverously to get Katie and Caryn on their side

Not quite, Gregg's infamous plan was to vote out Caryn at 6 and wait to get Tom at 5. If Caryn tells Gregg about Tom's own plans, then Gregg may have bumped his schedule up and gone for Tom at 6.

Posted by Aruba on 03-12-08 at 08:50 AM
The only way Gregg's infamous plan could have worked is if BOTH Caryn and Katie crossed over. Here's why.

Katie was explained that if she flipped and turned on either Tom or Ian, the other would work against her and she would have virtually no chance to make the F3. If she stuck with Tom/Ian she was pretty much guaranteed a F3 and possibly a F2. Katie was going nowhere. If I recall correctly during the Reunion Show, Caryn stated she tried to get Katie to flip at F6 but she wouldn't budge. So much for control.

So what if Caryn tells Gregg about Tom/Ian's plan. What's Gregg (with Caryn & Jen) going to do about it? At the F6 TC if the vote went 3-Gregg and 3-Tom (Ian won immunity) by rule Tom and Gregg would be exempt and with Ian holding the II, Jen, Caryn and Katie would have to draw stones. That wasn't going to happen.

What little control Caryn had at F6 was greatly limited.

Posted by Brownroach on 03-14-08 at 02:33 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-14-08 AT 02:34 PM (EST)

But Caryn wasn't a doer, she was a follower. By that point Tom had had the foresight to reel Caryn in -- he implied he would protect her if she kept him abreast of whatever goings on she heard about. So she ratted Greg out to Tom, to save her own butt. For one vote, as it turned out.

Tom was making sure he stayed on top of everyone and everything.

Blowin' the blues away, courtesy of tribephyl

Posted by Aruba on 03-11-08 at 05:43 AM

>BTW: She needed to convince Ozzy because without him she didn't have votes #5 and 6. Amanda wasn't voting differently than Ozzy.
>

Oh really??? When Tracy and Chet flipped; no way, no how Ami and Cirie were not voting for anyone BUT Joel. That's four solid votes right there. So are you suggesting that Amanda and Ozzy would be "stubborn" enough to vote Chet with Joel and Erik to create a 4-4 tie???

If that happened, both Joel and Chet would be exempt and Ozzy, Amanda, Ami, Cirie, Erik and Tracy would have to draw the imfamous colored stone. Numerically that gives the Favs a 2/3's chance of one of them going home. Guess folks...that ain't happening!

The Favs have always had one primary objective in the game--eliminate as many Fans as possible before the merge. Sure Ozzy initially wanted Chet gone, but in the end, as long as a Fan goes he doesn't really care. Which makes that whole Ozzy/Cirie exchanged greatly overplayed as stated numerous times on this board. But even if Ozzy was dead set on Chet, YES Amanda would have voted differently than Ozzy to not create that tie.

Posted by krismiss2us on 03-11-08 at 11:31 AM
This has nothing to do with the topic at hand, but it's something I've always wondered....

When someone finds the HII and puts it in their bag or whatever, why can't someone else take it from them? I mean, I thought this was survivor - outwit, etc.???? Or is there some sort of rule that says you can't do that. Just curious

thanks

Posted by Aruba on 03-11-08 at 01:42 PM
Hi Krismiss...Welcome to the Boards.

To say my post has "nothing" to do with the topic is not quite accurate. The topic at hand is "Is anyone in charge?"

My contention has been that the Favorites are in charge of this game and the post you are responding to reinforces that point.

But even if it didn't, it's not unusual for a thread to branch off into another topic that may not match the initial post 100%. That's what the "discussion" boards are for.

As for your question...In prior seasons players could not steal the HII from individuals who found it. Now they were allowed to snoop through their personal belongings to see if they, in fact, possess the HII and call them out on it...but they can not steal it. I have not heard any change in that rule for this season, so I would assume it still applies.

Posted by krismiss2us on 03-11-08 at 03:09 PM
Thanks for answering my question and I meant that MY question really didn't have anything to do with the topic that was at hand, i.e., who is in charge.

But again, thanks for the insight on HII. Am looking forward to more discussions on Survivor.

Might I ask another "dumb" question? What does DAW mean?

Posted by Aruba on 03-11-08 at 03:33 PM
The only "dumb" question is one that isn't asked. ;)

DAW = Desparate Attention Whore

It's a level based on what a Reality Show has-beens try to do to extend their "fame".

Posted by jbug on 03-11-08 at 06:34 PM
Welcome Krissmiss. & Aruba is right about questions - ask all you want....
Some of us might sometimes have to make up an answer
but then the good guys will come along and set us you straight.

jbug is a pain in the #####

Posted by krismiss2us on 03-12-08 at 11:18 AM
Thanks to all for answering my questions. I've enjoyed reading everything on here. Some very interesting discussions and am looking forward to more.

Posted by TxMom2011 on 03-12-08 at 01:50 PM
Rules say you cant steal it Kris.

Posted by krismiss2us on 03-12-08 at 04:21 PM
Well, that just sucks. Too bad they don't change that rule; it could make the game much more intersting. But that's just my opinion.

"Too much Idol"
Posted by michel on 03-12-08 at 05:13 PM
Maybe it will help if you look at it this way: There's already too many minutes wasted on talking about strategy that relates only to the Hidden Immunity Idol, would you want to hear more? I wouldn't want to see every hour of Survivor reduced to a series of thefts. Guessing "Under which coconut is the idol this week?" is not Survivor.

I don't think they will change that rule because it's the same as the regular immunity necklace: By finding it, the player "won" the HII. Outstealing isn't the goal of the game.

I'd like to see a season without Individual Immunities, hidden or otherwise.

"RE: Too much Idol"
Posted by iltarion on 03-13-08 at 05:18 AM
"I'm out of action for awhile and suddenly people get delusions of grandeur."

Hahaha.. Michel, come on now. Caryn never had any power. She was outside an alliance of 5 the whole time, which is exactly where Gregg and Jen saw her. Her head was on the chopping block, which is why she was going to jump at any offer Tom and Ian had for her. The fact that neither Tom nor Ian's head was on the chopping block right then only shows how ballsy and Promethean their move was, the most courageous move ever done on Survivor, I have said before. If Caryn goes to Gregg or Jen or Katie and tells them of Tom and Ian's plan, then Katie goes back to Ian and tells him of Caryn's deception, and then Caryn ends up going home. So, no, she was going to take Tom and Ian's offer, live another week, and hope to make F4 or get the women to form an alliance at F5, which they would have if it weren't for Katie's loyalty to Ian.
Still, by saying strong players can win on their own terms, I don't mean that they never get any help. Tom was helped by Ian the entire way. If Ian didn't have that tight alliance with Katie, they were cooked. Yul was also given huge help by Becky and by decisions made by Jonathan. Brian came the closest to winning completely without help, which is why I have always considered him the best player.
Anyway, my point is that these players, and others, Jenna won completely on "her own terms," for instance, didn't rely on slipping through because other people, who were making the decisions, decided to boot threats instead of themselves. They didn't have that luxury. They had to protect themselves and stay in power or get booted. They had to play a proactive game.
Cirie made a great move by orchestrating Courtney's boot. I will always agree with that. However, Courtney foiled Cirie's UTR game because she was such a goat. This meant that no matter how weak Cirie was, she would still likely be booted in favor of Courtney. Being a non-threat was no weapon against being a goat. Therefore, Cirie had to boot Courtney so she could continue to ride her non-threat posture into the F3, which specifically meant relying on Aras and Danielle to boot "anyone but her." She would have gotten her wish if it wasn't for Terry's idol and challenge dominance.
So, yes, Cirie has been proactive at times. I'm not saying she hasn't. But her prime game isn't social, as shown by her bitching at Jonathan, and it isn't strategical. It is being a non-threat and hoping those in power continue to boot the threats.
The problem is- once someone sees her as a threat, her game is up. And if she keeps trying to control boots, that day will come sooner rather than later. I think the showmance alliance already knows this, or they are idiots.

>

"RE: Too much Idol"
Posted by Aruba on 03-13-08 at 10:08 AM
Hey Iltarion...we missed ya.

Sadly the final sentence in your post may be more prophetic than you think...they ARE idiots. That's why I would not be surprised to see Cirie skate to the F4 as she did on Exile Island. And the way this season is shaping up the final IC will probably be a "giggling" contest that Cirie could win hands-down and put herself in the Finals.

In a bizarre kind of way, if this season continues to spiral downward, I'm kinda hoping she "wins" so her "victory" would the the "crowning jewel" to a subpar season.

Stay tuned!!!

"Stepping Back in Time!"
Posted by michel on 03-13-08 at 10:21 AM
LAST EDITED ON 03-13-08 AT 10:25 AM (EST)

Cirie was outside 2 alliances of 4. Did you notice how her actions gave her power? Caryn was in a similar position when Katie thought of going with Gregg and Jenn to boot Caryn and Tom in order. Caryn could have alerted them to the plan. What did she have to lose? Did listening to Tom's proposal work for Caryn?

Anyway, enough about Palau. No one won on their own and Brian received a lot of help from the collapse of the morons on Sook Jai. Chuay Ghan was turning into Chuay Gone until those morons threw a challenge to boot Jed. That's not help? Then, no one was able to figure out that stupid "21 Flag" challenge until they were down to 6 flags when the first team who picks should always win. To make matters worse, SJ booted Robbbb just when he realized he had to be a team player. Even more, with their lives on the line, Penny and Ken were both unable to stay under water more than 15 SECONDS. All that is tremendous help. Finally, Ted not seeing what Jake was telling him about Clay and Brian was also of great help.

Jenna couldn't even quit on her own terms so I don't buy that she won on her own terms!!

Back to the Future

If Cirie wins, it will be as much on her terms as anybody else. She has a plan and even if it includes using other players' strength, it's still a valid strategy.

"RE: Stepping Back in Time!"
Posted by iltarion on 03-13-08 at 03:26 PM
I didn't say Brian had absolutely NO help. I said he came the closest to needing no help. Everyone gets helped, or hurt, by circumstance.
Jenna was less of a threat than Heidi; so, for that one TC, she skated by thanks to being weak. However, she still won thanks to winning ICs, and you don't need anyone else's help when you do that.
I never said Cirie's strategy, or any other UTR player's, isn't valid. EVERY strategy is valid, even Jean-Robert's from last season. I have merely been explaining why I don't respect it as much. I understand there is a lot of respect for Cirie, or any other non-survivor-type player who can play this game and play it well, out there. I understand she, like Sandra before her, gives hope to couch potatoes everywhere that they could go out and win Survivor. Hey, let the dream live on!
I've just made this point many times before. People think winning Survivor without winning ICs is some great feat. Well,

15 seasons - 5 winners who won 2 ICs or more, 10 winners who won 1 or 0 ICs

The numbers don't lie. It is harder to win this game when you are strong at challenges. It is twice as easy to win, by the numbers, if you are weak at challenges.

>

Posted by echogirl on 03-13-08 at 05:05 PM
15 seasons - 5 winners who won 2 ICs or more, 10 winners who won 1 or 0 ICs

The numbers don't lie. It is harder to win this game when you are strong at challenges. It is twice as easy to win, by the numbers, if you are weak at challenges.

Survivor is more than just a physical game obviously. That said I think the numbers are skewed (as you have shown above) largely due to the fact that players fear the physical players more. That's why they are targeted earlier and earlier (os so it seems). With this in mind, you would think more of the physical players would wise up (certainly they watch Survivor) and would look to forge alliances with physical players early, instead of tacking on several weaker players at the end of their alliances. The weaker players are almost always going to bond together to take out the physical threats post-merge. With two idols in China, James was too foolish to see this and it cost him dearly. Who's fault was that?

This season more of the same is happening. First we have the battle of the alpha males on who would be the Big Chief of the Fans. Three weaker outsiders should have had no chance to remain in the game yet here they are. And Mikey and Joel are at loser lounge. Yes Tracy deserves some credit here, but these two meatheads allowed this to happen. No way Chet should still be here. And on the other side, the physically stronger alliance allowed Cirie to manipulate a vote, picking who she wanted to remove. Now Yau Man hardly qualifies as a physical threat, but he certainly wasn't the weakest player remaining. If I'm Ozzy or James right now I'm very concerned. You don't think Parvati and Amanda are smart enough to realize they have a better shot against the likes of Eliza, Cirie, Chet, Kathleen, Alexis, etc than Ozzy or James? James especially should see this! The next target should not be Eric or Jason, it should be Cirie (the biggest potential disruptor of their alliance) or Eliza. The weaker physical players obviously know who to target, so why don't the stronger players recognize this and target those weaker players most likely to make waves instead of letting them hang around until the numbers favor them? It goes both ways!

Posted by michel on 03-13-08 at 05:44 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-13-08 AT 05:48 PM (EST)

>"Jenna was less of a threat than Heidi; so, for that one TC, she skated by thanks to being weak."

That's the F5 TC but Jenna is damn lucky that the editors put her discussion with Heidi prior to the F6 TC only on Insider. Jenna wanted to go home. That's why she gave her immunity necklace to Heidi. If Matt hadn't given family visits to everyone and if Christy hadn't been so hesitant, Rob wouldn't have been scared into keeping Jenna. That's why I wrote she couldn't even quit on her own terms. Now, we're at 2 crucial TCs!

>"Jenna...still won thanks to winning ICs, and you don't need anyone else's help when you do that."

But Jenna NEEDED to win those ICs so she was damn lucky that they were something she could handle. The F4 blindfold IC had Butch and Matt more interested in groping her than winning. The F3 had Matt quitting. Don't you count that as help? I do.

I rate higher those players who win with minimum help from immunity and use their intelligence and social play to get by. Hatch, Tina, Aras, Earl and Todd did it with the numbers while Chris and Danni did it without the numbers. That's surviving.

>"5 winners who won 2 ICs or more, 10 winners who won 1 or 0 ICs"

When you need to win one immunity, you are going to need to win many so, of course, those who rely on immunities are not that successful. Not counting on immunity is much better.

BTW: your count is right but I would put the real count at 6 - 9. Yul had immunity in all 6 TCs after merge!!

PS: Finally, I had the chance to re-watch Amazon. I enjoyed it and Jenna's gameplay a lot more than the first time but she certainly didn't win "on her terms".

ETA: I was writing at the same time you were so i have to add: Very well said, Echogirl. And much more on topic for this season.
Meatheads! LOL! So true.

Posted by echogirl on 03-13-08 at 06:51 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-13-08 AT 06:53 PM (EST)

Very well said, Echogirl. And much more on topic for this season.
Meatheads! LOL! So true.

Long time, no post! I'm actually enjoying this trainwreck of a season so far, but once again I'm amazed at how very little these contestants have learned from past seasons.

I know Ilitarion doesn't respect the lesser physical players games like he does others, but there is a method to the madness! First I think it's difficult to lump all UTR players under one huge umbrella, just as you can't necessarily do the same with the more physical players.

Can you honestly say Cirie is the same type of UTR player as say Lydia? Or Chet? Or Butch? Or Jan? There are UTR players like Lydia who are totally non-strategic tag-alongs happy to end up with whatever place their majority alliance gives them. Others like Cirie and Sandra are non-physical threats and they know it. Yet they are constantly trying to manipulate alliances to improve their positions. They should be seen as more dangerous threats to physical players yet are rarely viewed as such until the damage has been done. Since they don't win IC's they can be booted anytime, which is why it always amazes me that so many of these types reach the F4. For example, Tijuana or Christa may have been more of a challenge threat than Sandra was but had either shown Sandra's tenacity for shaking things up? Cirie is most similar to Sandra in this way which makes her very dangerous. I'm less afraid of Eric or Jason winning a challenge than Cirie rallying the weaker players against me.

As for the physical players? You need a strategy as well. You really have to use sound judgment on those you allign with to insure you don't become an early post-merge target. And of course you have to have numbers post-merge. Brian knew this, yet once he eliminated the opposing tribe he made sure his biggest physical and mental threats (Ted & Helen) were eliminated. Tom knew it too, and I despised Tom. Yul's circumstances were a bit different, but he's been one of the best OA players we've seen.

I'm not sure Ozzy or James are as smart as Brian, Tom or Yul. IMO they have allowed others to take control of the game. Will they recognize this in time to remain factors deep into the game? Perhaps, but they can't wait until the merge. Jonathon is a potential ally if he isn't forced out of the game due to injury. Ami would be a good ally as well (probably the best athlete among the females) but I seriously doubt they court her. They probably still see Jason and Eric as bigger threats than Cirie, Eliza or Tracy, but it would be a mistake to target any guy at this point IMO, although I fully expect that too happen. Taking Eric and Jason into the merge gives the weaker players a target not named Ozzy or James. As much as I want to see Chet gone, it's a bit too late on him. He has no game at all and winning challenges is less important post-switch. He is a Lydia/Jan type of player not a Cirie/Sandra type anyway which means he won't be stirring up trouble. It's all about positioning yourself post-merge, something Cirie is fully aware of and something Ozzy and James better become aware of soon, before it's too late.

Posted by iltarion on 03-14-08 at 02:51 AM
Great posts, echogirl. I have wondered that myself- when are the strong going to join together to prevent being ganged up by the weak? The only problem with that is it is like the all-women alliance, which also never seems to last. It is nearly inevitable that at least one strong player will ultimately side with the weak. It is just too tempting to think that hey, I can beat these guys, so why not side with them?
You are also right that I would never put Cirie with Lydia or Chet. Cirie is a player of the game, a good player. But she is one-dimensional. Her trouble spots are the beginning of the game and the end. Fortunately for her, like Sandra, she has been on strong tribes both times, which lessened the danger for her at the beginning of the game, (Sandra happened to be graced with one of the strongest tribes of all time, so strong that they eventually threw a challenge just to lose for once!) However, the end game will always be a problem for her, just as it was for her in Exile Island. She is not likely to win the final IC, and she is too likable to be someone that you would want to take with you into the finals.
And now she is painting herself as someone not to be trusted.
Ozzy and James are obviously not as smart as Brian, Tom or Yul. That is maybe the understatement of Survivor legends.
Michel, Jenna still won those ICs, whether she had help or not. I know she said she wanted to quit (because you've told me before), but she didn't quit. We have seen it proven ad nauseum now that if someone really wants to quit, they can. As pathetic as some of her comments were before that, as well as her game, she still pulled out the most improbable win ever.
But enough about the past!

>

Posted by Aruba on 03-14-08 at 08:26 AM
Another reason why the solid physical players have not banned together is because there's simply not enough of them in an given season. It's the same reason why the over 45s don't ban together, the homosexuals don't ban together, the supermodels with plastic boobies don't ban together...

Sure they cast a few token athletes but most of the castaways are weak, dumb, lazy, inept in survivor skills, or a combination thereof. But I don't want to get going again on my personal feelings about the production casting crew in CBS.

It always has been and always will be a case of the numbers game. And if casting continues as it's been, I don't see how a minority group will ban together to dismantle a majority.