URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID106
Thread Number: 46
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Is Nate over-rated?"

Posted by PagongRatEater on 02-16-07 at 10:50 AM
I really like Nate, he is a genuine, nice and kind person. Nate has more integrity than 99% of people who ever appear on realityTV, so don't think that I am trying to detract from what a super person he is BUT

....did Nate really change all that much? Sure he figured out that he could get a hot girl (mostly because she was into him), but he also seemed to be pretty confident and comfortable with himself before the show started. I don't know how much Nate changed because I'm not sure that Nate NEEDED to change. Nate obviously had good social skills and decent self-esteem before coming on this show. If you are the front man for a band, even a Star Wars band, you have to have a certain level of chutsphah.

Perhaps - just perhaps - Nate didn't need to change all that much because he was already a great person, other people just didn't realize that going in and came to change their perception of him as the show went on. And if that is the case, then may the jury got BOTH of the winners right.

Just wondering if anyone else had the same thoughts.

"God governs in the affairs of man. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid? We have been assured in the Sacred Writings that except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it. I firmly believe this. I also believe that, without His concurring aid, we shall succeed in this political building no better than the builders of Babel” - Ben Franklin, 1787 Constitutional Convention

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Is Nate over-rated?"
Posted by Jadens Mommy on 02-16-07 at 12:02 PM
Well, his looks changed. He looks way better now. Didn't like his band tho. And he can't sing IMHO.

Posted by nazpink on 02-16-07 at 01:06 PM
In my opinion, I think the changes this season were subtle compared to seasons before. I think the couple of guys who's changes would have been far more obvious were booted earlier on.

Both Nate and Scooter had very little to go, as far as I could tell, when it came to changes, but I agree Scooter's seemed to be more. In the beginning Scooter was very quiet and I couldn't imagine him voicing an opinion, especially one that would tick another contestant off.

Posted by CTgirl on 02-16-07 at 01:14 PM
I agree -- and I thought that ever since his stand-up comedy act. I thought a big part of being a geek was lack of social skills. (i.e. Sanjay with a written list of questions when he was talking to Cece and Megan.) Just because you sing in a Star Wars band doesn't necessarily make you a geek! The show probably did help him with his confidence with women. Living 24-7 with a person of the opposite sex is an eye-opening experience, and one he may not have had before.

Posted by tamarama on 02-16-07 at 03:51 PM
You read my mind.

Yes, Scooter was further along than some of the other geeks, but I do think he evolved more than Nate -- again, not to take anything away from Nate.

When they watched videos of themselves arriving and pairing off - that made it clearer to me that Megan AND Scooter were the right winners.

Posted by kryp on 02-16-07 at 03:57 PM
Well, I thought at least three of the nerds were ringers. Nate, Niells, and Scooter all seemed to be overselling their geekiness in the beginning of this series and seemed to have the most dramatic transformations from geeks into these comfortably engaging and reasonably attractive men. I thought a couple of the geeks were gay; Mario in particular. He just seemed too comfortable in his own skin and with who he was; hence, the ease of being around the women but not being particularly interested in them. Drew was the one who most fit the model to a T. A true geek in every sense of the word and my impression of him never wavered from that.

Concerning the women, CiCi might have been horrid but she was a good villainess and compelling. She used the dumb blonde bit as a decoy while being very driven and motivated. Sneaky smart that one.

I think Megan was underestimated and falsely presumed by many to be not very bright. She became more attractive to me when I saw how fast she caught on in the challenges and adapted to the game. Her personality was deceiving. She sat back observed and made all the right moves. I could definitely hang with her.

The two women who were the most beautiful; Andrea, and Sheree, were also the two most unlikeable; i.e., bitchy, bossy, argumentative, and insecure. Instead of trying to make friends with the blondes and trying to win over Nadia, and Erin who were obviously just going along with the crowd and had no strategy; Andrea and Sheree pouted, whined, and demanded that they be treated special.

Posted by JoeGazillionaire on 02-16-07 at 06:21 PM
You're right that Nate had all those good qualities and was obviously brought up well, but I think he did change.
In every good movie or heroic novel, it begins with a protagonist that has all the good virtues but isn't assured of it until they are tested.
Nate probably didn't realize that he could stick to his guns until he was severely tested. He's non-confrontational, yet he stands up to Cece when he saw the dog was being mistreated. He comes to the realization that the world wouldn't be better off if someone like CeCe can step on people and be rewarded the money, even though that cost him $250,000 which is quite a lot for someone of his age. I think he was a real geek. How many people would have 2 year growth on their face....he looked practically Amish. The star wars tribute was also really bad. so, I think Nate's had the biggest challenges out of all of them. "Geek" doesn't just mean uncurably awkward. Scooter just kind of skated by without being really challenged. Sure, he's a little more confident, but did he really stand up to CeCe or did he do antyhing other than go along with everything.

Posted by nazpink on 02-17-07 at 11:08 PM
Uhhhhh....I recall both Scooter and Niels standing up to Cece before anyone else attempted it. I recall a few conversations where both Niels and Scooter were telling her how unattractive and ridiculous her personality is and how she should just be the person she was inside.....of course they didn't go about it the same way a Real Worlder would have,but they still took a stand.

Posted by Glow on 02-19-07 at 03:17 PM
I said from the beginning I wouldn't consider Nate a "geek". He just needed to stop wearing the garden clogs.

The right couple won.

Posted by CTgirl on 02-19-07 at 05:42 PM
I happened by a repeat of the stand-up comedy episode yesterday - and noticed that Nate was wearing red Crocs. I missed that the first time around! LOL! He also had on a tie with a tee shirt and short-sleeved shirt. I think he just needed a make-over.

Posted by amea_gari on 02-20-07 at 02:11 PM
Just goes to show. What's geeky one year may be all the rage the next. I think style has zip to do with geekiness.
Those Crocs are really catching on.