URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID57
Thread Number: 4594
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Antonia's Process?? (The Rich Housewife's Decorating Assignment)"

Posted by AmazonBlue on 05-10-06 at 08:54 PM
Hello? Ethan Allen? I need an Interior Decorator! Can you bring me any fabric, furnishings, wall coverings, lamps or anything you think I might be interested in to decorate a room? Yes, uh huh, bring it to me, to the SO house. See, I supposedly have this assignment, to decorate a room in the house. WHAT?? Go out and find everything myself, like go to Pottery Barn or Pier One, or WalMart? (No way, WalMart!!)

Why didnt they just fly in Martha Stewart too?

At the very least, she should have made the call to interview and find a decorator.
Can I have this assisnment? I have a few rooms I need fixin' up!!

By the way, Didnt she go to College? Did she have a major?

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Antonia's Process?? (The Rich Housewife's Decorating Assignment)"
Posted by Twinkles on 05-10-06 at 09:37 PM
... and she didn't know why but she picked the fabric that reminded her of womb, uh I mean, the room where she napped in her mother's house.

Posted by shawnar on 05-10-06 at 10:16 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-10-06 AT 10:18 PM (EST)

What I thought was strange was that they gave her a $10,000 Budget.If they can give someone a big budget like that for an assignment. Then why can't they give better grad gifts?

I have a few rooms that I'd like done too!

Posted by JustBNMe on 05-11-06 at 01:01 AM
My feeling is why have her do an assignment to redecorate a room (that is not a necessity when she really has no money) and then hand her the $10,000 to use as she wants? How is that teaching her to be responsible? How is it teaching her to prioritize her needs from her wants and how is forking money over to her with no effort on her part to earn it going to help her with the issues she has since she spends like a wild woman and then never pays for things? It's like giving her the okay to keep doing what she has been doing.

Posted by BimBo on 05-11-06 at 07:21 AM
>LAST EDITED ON 05-10-06
>AT 10:18 PM (EST)

>
>What I thought was strange was
>that they gave her a
>$10,000 Budget.If they can give
>someone a big budget like
>that for an assignment. Then
>why can't they give better
>grad gifts?
>
> I have a few rooms
>that I'd like done too!
>

Good point. I thought the same thing. I don't see Antonia learning anything from this assignment. Antonia gets $10,000 dollars to redo a room but Christy has to grovel with strangers to get a few free t-shirts. Does'nt make sense.

Posted by maryellennaco on 05-11-06 at 01:01 AM
Why did they even give her this assignment?? The fact that she never even inquired as to the COST of things just FLOORS me!!
Should they be wood, carpeted, which kind, what color?? HHHAAAA!!

Posted by eire_heart74 on 05-11-06 at 07:28 AM
Yeah I was thinking that Ethan Allen was a bit pricey to be having her shop there. More like a trip to Ikea would of been a better idea to teach her to budget. Because when you are fresh out of college and you have student loan debt, that's where you shop. You don't go to Ethan Allen.

Watch it be the lesson that she was to ask if there was any other companies she could of used. Of course this is just one big commerical for them so I am sure they like her having this assignment.

Posted by slickeronstate on 05-21-06 at 02:38 PM
My best guess would be Ethan Allan offered the furnishings in exchange for the promotional value. It wasn't about how to decorate for less - it was how to expand SO's sponsors beyond Glade!

Posted by watches too much on 05-11-06 at 08:28 AM
Redecorate a room in the SO house????? Give me a break.
If SO is so keen on redecorating something, they could have made a better choice.

They should have sent her to improve the surroundings at a women's shelter. The shelter would benefit and hopefully A. would learn a thing or two and not just about redecorating.

Posted by TVFreak on 05-11-06 at 09:47 AM
This assignment is just plain stupid. Seems like a desperate ploy by SO to get a few more product placements in before the end of the year.
Most of the assignment has already been done for AntoniDuh. The decorator already had color schemes and fabrics for her to choose from (the hardest decisions in decorating a room IMO). If this assignment was really meant to teach her a lesson on budgeting then she should have been sent out ON HER OWN to do some comparison shopping for starters. But this is SO, she'll whine and complain the whole time, put in the least amount of effort, and she'll be showered with accolades.

Posted by cleogrl on 05-11-06 at 09:52 AM
Previous houseguest with debt problems have had the exciting task of visiting credit counselors and learning how to budget. Another exercise for one houseguest was to call creditors and work out a settlement with each one. That's the reality of people with debt problems.

Antonia gets the task of spending $10,000 to redo a room. It's ridiculous. It's a chance for Ethan Allen to get some valuable advertising but for this project teaching Antonia anything, it's crazy. What person with huge debt gets the task of redoing a room in their house with a huge budget? A lot of the remodeling shows redo rooms for $1,000-2000. Why don't they give her a certain amount of money and make her buy groceries and pay bills and learn how to budget? Nope, she's too busy flipping through paint samples and fabric swatches. Also, everything comes to Antonia in the SO house and she just sits on the couch and waits. She isn't even required to visit stores and pick out items herself.

Posted by Baxtera on 05-11-06 at 09:58 AM
What was up with the whining party over nobody helping her to paint the room? She was asked if she wanted help, she said no and then complained people didn't come and check to see if she needed help? Then Niambia gets on the whiner wagon because she helped and she was stupid enough to enable the brat and put up with being treated like crap by Antonia when nobody else would and that's everyone else's fault how?

What did IV say to Antonia at Jodi's dinner? I heard here tell her that others might choose to let her interupt but then I had to take a call and missed the rest of the conversation between Antonia and IV I was wondering how that all came to pass. Ms. Niambi and Ms. Antonia seem to think they aren't being supported. Oh boo hoo.

Posted by EMTBGRL on 05-11-06 at 10:16 AM
>Antonia gets the task of spending
>$10,000 to redo a room.
> It's ridiculous.

Methinks this stinks of "Look what you can do by yourself, Antonia. Maybe this could be a CAREER for you!" It's like an SAT puzzle
Antonia is to "Interior Decorator" like Josie is to "Animal Trainer," "Bartender" "Elderly Caregiver" or "Mother." --you decide.

(Hint: SO steered them there, but Neither one will come true. )

>Also, everything comes to Antonia
>in the SO house and
>she just sits on the
>couch and waits.

Nice life. Where do I sign up??

She
>isn't even required to visit
>stores and pick out items
>herself.

Now that you mention it--that's really disgusting, too.

Posted by lia rose on 05-11-06 at 10:31 AM
I think Ethan Allen is already one of the sponsors--and I think they've already decorated the rest of the SO house (excluding of course, XXXtina's delightful, craptastic flower) so they'd be the logical choice--but who the hell can afford to shop there--especially a debt-laden 24-year old?

That doesn't give her any concept of the value of a dollar. I don't understand them sometimes?!??

Posted by techstyle on 05-11-06 at 02:31 PM
>I think Ethan Allen is already
>one of the sponsors--and I
>think they've already decorated the
>rest of the SO house
>(excluding of course, XXXtina's delightful,
>craptastic flower) so they'd be
>the logical choice--but who the
>hell can afford to shop
>there--especially a debt-laden 24-year old?
>
>
>That doesn't give her any concept
>of the value of a
>dollar. I don't understand
>them sometimes?!??

Ethan Allen extends credit, credit cards, I think I'm getting it now.

Posted by Juliejo on 05-11-06 at 02:36 PM
Iylanda told Antonia that she was now talking and that the other's might allow her to interupt them but she was not going to. She told her what she had said was disruptive, disrespectful and dis something I cant remember. She told her that all she had to do was ask for help, But if she didnt ask for help and no one helped then she couldnt be angry. I thought she told it like it was and she also put Niambi in her place as well. But, I also feel like the other's should have helped the spoiled brat paint the room. She is a HM and it is one for all and all for one or should be. Christie is just lazy and that is why she didnt help paint. I think Chrisite had been so heavy for so long that she got lazy and she still thinks she is 300 pounds so it is hard for her to get around. ha ha

Posted by Baxtera on 05-11-06 at 02:51 PM
If Antonia had truly gotten herself out of bed and had been working at it I could see her housemates helping her but if she's not going to put any effort into her assignments and wait until the last second to do it why should they bail her out?

I've painted rooms, it's not a difficult task especially when the room is empty and all you have to do is tape it, put down clothes and paint. It was much whine about nothing.

Posted by phlinky on 05-11-06 at 03:46 PM
What are they really teaching her? Someone else is footing the bill. She is a sport on someone else's money. They were better off keeping her on Monopoly money than the real thing. She could learn how to live on a budget with fake money.

When she gets back to her real life, will someone shell out $$ for her? No, unless she finds a rich sugar daddy. Honestly, I wish I could go into Ethan Allen and use their designers on someone else's dime for my home.

There are so many layers to her that need to be treated before they can help her with her symptom (living above her means). What was the HG in the first year who also ran into money problems and auctioned off her stuff? I didn't see them give her money.

It was almost like they needed to find something not so serious to bring Antonia on the show for short term only since the show was going on hiatus. She figured that a few weeks of living rent free and having groceries bought for you can't be all bad. She probably figured that she will get some camera time, some bogus work to do, and sleep. Maybe she thought that if she is really controversial, she will be able to get onto the Real World.

Posted by Mama_Pita on 05-11-06 at 04:22 PM
are you kidding me??? With $10,000 I can redocorate the entire house and still have money left over, Who in thier right mind would give someone that much money for a "SPARE BEDROOM"?? I think the LC's have flipped thier lids on this one.

Posted by Baxtera on 05-11-06 at 04:53 PM
Let's be real I put just a little over that as a down payment on my house forget remodeling it.

Posted by cheesecake on 05-11-06 at 11:18 PM
This is just Iylanda showing favoritism again. Is this one of her messy excerises? Sure seems like luxury to me. She didn't do this to the other girls she coached. No, not to Niambi or Antonia her favorites, all she does is coddle and hug them.

Posted by jaedysmom on 05-12-06 at 04:45 AM
Anyway, this is ANTONIA'S assignment, why should anyone have to help her? That's her problem, she wants everyone else to do the work, and then she takes credit for it!!! Just like in her poetry slam, "Poetri" basically did all the work, and all she did was show up, and be the star!!!

Posted by Madigan on 05-12-06 at 06:35 AM
I have to say, as addicted as I am to this show, Antonia is miserable to watch. She is so spoiled and needy. How HARD is it to ask for help?! Is she really that superior that she expects people to drop everything when she needs help? And on top of that, she expects them to just somehow KNOW she needs help? Hello?! B O R. I hope she either gets kicked out, or leaves - I'm so sick of her. I wouldn't ever offer my help to such an entitled brat. If I had a nickel for everytime she rolls her eyes...I'd have enough money to redecorate a spare bedroom in the SOH.

Posted by Baxtera on 05-12-06 at 07:53 AM
She's like Lisa 1 in many ways. I'm too good for manual labor. I shouldn't have to work for a living. The difference is Lisa was much better at manipulating the other hg to get what she wanted. Antonia's above all that her subjects should bow down and just do it for her. Why should she have to even stoop to the work of manipulation these women are here to support, substitute wait on her, so she shouldn't have to ask.

Supporting people who are making an effort by getting up on time and starting a task is support. Enabling people who are lazy get up mid day and then try to do a full days work in a couple of hours in not supporting it's continuing to teach them how to fail.

Posted by SeasonedRefinement on 05-12-06 at 09:32 AM
LAST EDITED ON 05-12-06 AT 03:05 PM (EST)

The point made about the assignments given to former HG's with financial and debt issues was a good one. Consultations with bankruptcy attorneys OR a spending spree in an upscale furniture showroom? Hmmmm....that's a tough one...

Of course this was an Ethan Allen commercial, and their designers were there to make sure that the finished product is a reflection of Ethan Allen finery, not Antonia, the 24 year old HG from Boston. SO paid for nothing. The real trick in decorating is creating something from nothing. It's a talent. It means coordinating the limitless vendors available, deciding on a color scheme, a decorating style, and choosing fabrics from hundreds of bolts of varying texture and color, and not going into debt to do it. She has professional decorators doing the hard part and asking her to pick door 1, 2, or 3. It's just silly.

In trying to find something of value Antonia could have taken from this assignment, only one thing occured to me. Beyond fashion, I don't think Antonia has considered some of the beautiful and lasting things money can buy. I think this might have been the first time she was in a showroom like Ethan Allen.
She loved it, and said she felt like a kid in a candy store.

If she works hard, budgets her money, and protects her credit, it is entirely possible that one day she could be shopping in Ethan Allen for her own home. I hope she remembers how good it felt to have access to those luxuries.

Posted by Baxtera on 05-12-06 at 10:08 AM
Showing Antonia how to shop on a budget at the grocery store, selling personal items at e-bay, where to shop for discounted essentials that you need to have vs. high priced shops she likes would be practical exercises. Having her design a high priced room that she obviously has no clue in what she's doing was pointless.

She has no intention of working on her issues. She thinks she on Real World and resents any work she's asked to do.

Posted by watches too much on 05-12-06 at 10:38 AM
LAST EDITED ON 05-12-06 AT 10:42 AM (EST)

Isn't the SO house rented? Wonder what will be come of the furniture? Anyone else think that it will be Antonia's graduation gift?

Posted by Baxtera on 05-12-06 at 11:23 AM
Antonia should get a membership to debtors anoymous, the cheapskate's newsletter, and other cost saving magazines.

Posted by SeasonedRefinement on 05-12-06 at 03:14 PM
Considering the TV/Real Time differential, I don't think that furniture was in the house for very long. It's possible that it was never even used (and if it was, it was very lightly used). Once the house is broken down, it will probably all go right back to an EA outlet store and be offered at floor sample prices. The bedding/linens will probably go to some lucky staffer at SO. They were beautiful (and quite pricey).

Posted by Omniscia on 05-12-06 at 04:48 PM
This was a ridiculous project. It would have been much more helpful to have Antonia decorate the room on a 500-1000 budget. Then she'd have to really number crunch and prioritize. IKEA all the way! This would have been more helpful to Antonia in returning to normal life.

Posted by Cinnamongirl30 on 05-12-06 at 05:15 PM
What is this assignment supposed to teach her anyway??? I don't get it. How about an assignment where she has to put a dollar in a jar everytime she whines or complains and tries to convince all about how hard she has it living in the house.A month of that and she would surely be aware of how stupid she sounds and they'd have enough money to decorate some more rooms. Yeah Antonia I know your in debt but here's $10,000 and were gonna show you how to really get into debt when you go home and have something to show for it.

Posted by EMTBGRL on 05-13-06 at 02:59 PM
>She's like Lisa 1 in many
>ways. I'm too good
>for manual labor. I
>shouldn't have to work for
>a living.

When Antonia barfs and spittles into the ceramic pear bowl, I'll put them on the same level! LOL! I would like to watch Antonia muck out a horse stall, though.

The difference
>is Lisa was much better
>at manipulating the other hg
>to get what she wanted.

Yeah. I loooved the yelling up the stairs, "Get down here and help me B*tches!" what a way to motivate! LOL! You'd think slicing a lime for those HG's was harder than an ACT test.
>
Enabling people
>who are lazy get up
>mid day and then try
>to do a full days
>work in a couple of
>hours

Hey! They had this in common! What poor diet are these women ON, anyway! Someone QUICK send the SOH some spinach and an iron pill! THAT would be support! They both needed vitamins, or something. What adults sleep days that don't have small children napping too, an illness, a needed break *NEEDED* break, or a night job to get to later? How is this allowed??

Posted by EMTBGRL on 05-13-06 at 02:53 PM
>are you kidding me??? With
>$10,000 I can redocorate the
>entire house and still have
>money left over, Who in
>thier right mind would give
>someone that much money for
>a "SPARE BEDROOM"?? I
>think the LC's have flipped
>thier lids on this one.
>
Well. They have to justify their crappy graduation gifts SOMEhow, right? "We gave you a crappy grad. gift, but you got to use a $10K spare bedroom while you were here, right?" ::smirk::

you are correct, though, it's ridiculous. What's even MORE ridiculous is how Antonia announced, "I am even under budget." Yeah. She was under budget because that woman that was helping her out? SHE calculated everything! When she came back, she TOLD Antonia, "and it's under the $10,000" and Antonia said, "Great!"

Way to teach Antonia financial budgeting and planning. (not!)

Posted by maizenblue on 05-21-06 at 12:53 PM
That is so true! I would like someone to give me $10,000 to redo a room in my home! That's a real good idea, lets give someone with $41,000 in debt, and no common sense about money, that much to redo a room! Real genuis at work!

Posted by Redbud on 05-21-06 at 08:27 PM
Yeah, this "assignment" was one big joke. Everyone here has done a great job of listing the reasons why Antonia and the remodeling was nothing more than a sham. It's so transparent it's an insult. Antonia did nothing more than go along with the decorator's suggestions and then run a calculator. Wow, tough job!

Posted by EMTBGRL on 05-21-06 at 10:56 PM
Antonia did nothing
>more than go along with
>the decorator's suggestions and then
>run a calculator. Wow,
>tough job!

Did Antonia run the calculator? I got the feeling that the woman from Ethan Allen did that, too.