URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID85
Thread Number: 459
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Episode 2 Thought"

Posted by Wacko Jacko on 07-26-06 at 01:10 PM
Thank god Torres is gone. I could not stand listening to him any more.

Three great fights, although I like all three winners...none are beaming with personality.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"Episode 3"
Posted by AyaK on 07-27-06 at 01:59 AM
LAST EDITED ON 07-27-06 AT 02:00 AM (EST)

I was expecting a controversy here, because I thought Torres clearly won the fight. I scored it 99-97 Torres (3 rounds for Torres, 1 for Balletto, and the last round even). I didn't think Balletto was close to winning any of the three rounds I gave Torres, and I heard Tommy tell Torres that he had the fight before the decision was announced.

You can see that I'm not alone if you look at the ESPN website, because both Sugar Ray and Jeremy Williams are trying hard to defend the judging. Sugar Ray says that a fight like this one was a hard fight to score, and sometimes judges choose to reward aggressiveness. Jeremy says that, as Balletto's trainer, he scored the fight 2-2-1 (98-98, in "10-point must" scoring), and he was pro-Balletto. He said that you can't do anything about the scoring, and you just go on.

That's about as close as Burnett is ever going to get to an admission that his judges screwed the pooch.

As with the fight between Ishe and Sergio, it seems to me that Burnett tried to make the ending less controversial by trashing Torres pre-fight. Gotta admit, I hate that.

"RE: Episode 3"
Posted by PagongRatEater on 07-27-06 at 11:43 AM
It was a very close fight either way and I think that either boxer would have had a beef if they lost. It MAY have come down to Torres' falling down in an earlier round. I definitely think that if he hadn't he would have continued to press the attack and potentially gotten a knock-out. It is hard to see how you miss that many punches and still are able to (semi) legitiimately win the fight.

But, the four of us had a great time.

Posted by Wacko Jacko on 07-27-06 at 05:24 PM
Did you guys see the whole fights?

Posted by PagongRatEater on 07-27-06 at 05:43 PM
Nope. Was there something that we missed?

Posted by AyaK on 07-27-06 at 07:37 PM
I saw as much of the fight as Burnett let me see.

I'd still like Burnett to put an unedited version of the fights on the Web, but hell will probably freeze over first.

Posted by SherpaDave on 08-02-06 at 05:08 PM
Bingo. There's just no way to know who's really winning the rounds based on the little bit we see, especially with all the slow-mo Rocky-style crap. Some of the punches that were being shown as being highlights of Aaron's, he was clearly punching Gary's gloves, no damage done.

Watching the same footage you watched, I scored it 48-47 Gary (your scoring up above, btw, would be for a ten-round fight).

See Dave write. See Dave edit. See Dave blog.

"Duh"
Posted by AyaK on 08-02-06 at 09:22 PM
>Watching the same footage you watched,
>I scored it 48-47 Gary
>(your scoring up above, btw,
>would be for a ten-round fight).

Duh. That's what you get when you're too lazy to add the scores and you're used to seeing 10-rounders.

But I stand by 49-47 Aaron. Unless I mis-added again, that is. I thought Aaron had him even if he lost the last round, which I scored even.

"RE: Episode 2 Thought"
Posted by justcurlz on 07-27-06 at 07:31 PM
I saw the whole fight , Torres to me talked a big game but when it came right down to it he missed the mark , he came out looking all smug playing up to his girlfriend while in the middle of the match.. Heck even the old guy ?name? was getting mad was telling him he was playing around, to get in there an act like a man be a boxer. He did well in 2 rounds but Balletto brought his game in from round 1 on , JMO an i saw the whole show/match..

Posted by Wacko Jacko on 07-28-06 at 01:51 PM
Where you there? If not than I don't know how you saw the whole match.

From what was shown....I would say Gary won the fight by a slight margin.

Posted by justcurlz on 07-28-06 at 04:46 PM
No i wasnt there if ya read my post i said i saw the whole show/match.. meaning tv.. but like i said its just my opinion on what i saw..

"Contender Fights Cannot be Judged!"
Posted by the_sweet_science on 07-29-06 at 10:58 PM
LAST EDITED ON 07-29-06 AT 10:59 PM (EST)

To judge a fight, we need to see all 3 minutes of each round. On a TV show, we are shown only what the producers want us to see.

Last year, when the decision for the Ishe-Sergio fight was announced, the producers did not show the crowd booing and complaining. In fact, they did not even show that it was a split decision, yet strangely on the Contender website it was listed as a unanimous decision.

They were unable to hide the crowd's disgust on the second Manfredo-Mora fight however. They were also unable to hide Teddy Atlas' disgust who was the TV commentator for the fight and scored the fight easily for Manfredo. In fact, I found it funny how Teddy was saying before the fight that he hoped the judges would not ruin the fight!

Terrible judging is not just limited to The Contender by the way, and it is unfortunately at times in fact a plague in the boxing world.

"RE: Contender Fights Cannot be Judged!"
Posted by AyaK on 08-02-06 at 10:59 AM
>To judge a fight, we need to see all 3 minutes
>of each round. On a TV show, we are shown
>only what the producers want us to see.

No argument -- but, unless you're a total couch potato, you make the best judgment you can from what you're shown.

Posted by the_sweet_science on 08-04-06 at 00:17 AM
"you make the best judgment you can from what you're shown"

* And I reciprocate your statement that there is no argument with what you say.

My point is that it is impossible to judge a boxing fight without seeing the entire fight. One's best judgement is still very much flawed when one is shown only 1 minutes worth of highlights (or less) of a 3 minute round.

Posted by Team_Stress_RI on 08-04-06 at 02:57 AM
Only two things i have to say about the fighting system and the judges, if you look at all the judges James Jenkins, Marty Denkins, and Chuck Hasset all have done Title fights on PPV and friday night fights with some of the best fighters in the world to judge, so i wouldnt question their judgement...

And you cant have a tie in a round the only way it would have been a tie is if Gary got knocked down and it would have went to a 6th round.

Also a fight with 5 rounds three mins. a piece would be 15 mins. plus one min. between rounds in the corners, there is half the show right there and add in commercials thats the whole show i mean i dont like it but If i have anything to say it is bringing ALOT more fans into the boxing community and i like it

P.S. that take down of belletto was childish on his part..

Posted by psyrose on 08-04-06 at 03:32 PM
First off, Aaron does not fight dirty, never has, never will. I've known him since his career began, he has respect and integrity and would not cheapen the sport.

When you have only yourself to rely on in a sport (when there is no team) you have to believe you are the best and you have to constantly talk youself up to that point. You don't want a boxer who walks around saying, "I think I might be able to take this guy, I guess I could win against the other guys here." Oh...please that's not who he really is anyway. Once he's out of the ring and in a situation where he's not required to be a boxer, he's just like everyone else.

Second, did anyone stop to think about what the consequences to the show would be if the Blue Team had won 3 straight matches. And then, what if they won the 4th? What direction would the show have gone then? What would they have done if the Yellow Team got swept?

Posted by Team_Stress_RI on 08-04-06 at 05:20 PM
I dont think the gold team would have been swept. but what i do think is that torres is just a novice first thing you learn in boxing is someone puts their hands down punish him. arron walked back all leasurly and was talking about Gary wasnt in his league. the thing is I'VE accually seen Gary fight ive lived in RI my whole life and been to his gym the thing is Torres wasnt in Gary's league. 39 2 25ko come on. im a big fan of Gary's yes, but i still think 100% that the gold team wasnt going to be swept i mean you have wright who showed everyone last week, Steve Forbes (who i have winning this) and Ebo Elder who is proven in the ring the number 3 in the world.

I think K-9 is gone Micheal Clark could'nt land a jab if his life depended on it.. and Wright showed that he can land his jab with success.. look at the other night landed his jab at will and Ebo is going to pick apart freddy so i see GOLD the rest of the way!!! IMO

Posted by Team_Stress_RI on 08-04-06 at 05:21 PM
TYPO 29 2 25KO

Posted by ARnutz on 08-04-06 at 05:21 PM
Welcome to the boards. As to your second point:

Second, did anyone stop to think about what the consequences to the show would be if the Blue Team had won 3 straight matches. And then, what if they won the 4th? What direction would the show have gone then? What would they have done if the Yellow Team got swept?

It probably wouldn't have mattered. It didn't matter last season. The yellow team (westside) won the first 4 fights. They were Alfonso, Jesse, Ishe & Sergio. The blue team finally won after Peter Manfredo got brought back and he fought again in the fifth episode. The only other fighter from the blue team to win in the first round was Juan, who left soon after his win due to (as he said) his injuries. The other wins from the yellow team were Anthony and Joey. Basically, the team record at the end of the first round was 6 - 2 for the yellow team.

Once they got to the second round, they were no longer "teams" and it was every man for himself. The team colors were then abandoned and the fight banners that were hung ringside were now trimmed in red. There's no rule against choosing your next opponent from your own team. ...or at least there wasn't any last year.

Hope that clears up your questions!

Posted by psyrose on 08-07-06 at 04:25 PM
Thanks for welcoming me. This is the first board I've actually ever posted to. I didn't watch the first season of The Contender, so I didn't know the second round no longer had teams. Thanks for clearing that up. When Aaron came back from filming, he was legally under a "non disclosure" contract and wasn't allowed to tell us anything at all. And, yes, he is a member of my family. I don't know anything about boxing, but I do know he's been pro less than 4 years, and I have watched enough reality shows to figure out that you're missing 90% of the picture. Peace.

Posted by the_sweet_science on 08-05-06 at 10:42 PM
Yes, the judges in the Contender are usually all very experienced and in any case the judges must be approved by the California State Athelic Commission.

Never the less, we all have seen how judging can turn out no matter who is judging.

I will simply say Duane Ford!