URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID57
Thread Number: 4565
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Christie's "take me seriously" glasses"

Posted by lia rose on 05-05-06 at 07:06 PM
Did anyone else notice that whenever Christie was out and about on this 5K run she had those awful, thick-rimmed granny glasses on? Maybe she thought they legitimized her or something but I thought it just looked weird. Anyone else???

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Christie's "take me seriously" glasses"
Posted by BHoneycutt on 05-05-06 at 07:35 PM
I noticed that too. I wonder if she has a prescription for them or if they are merely to make her feel "smarter".

Posted by standinmytruth on 05-05-06 at 07:53 PM
YES! Her random vision problems drive me nuts! They are so in consistent. I love how they turn dark when outside or in a sunny room. Remember when she sat through the alcoholic support group meeting with shades on. She looked like a blind pimp. I don't know who is more pretensious, Christie or Sommer.

Posted by JustBNMe on 05-05-06 at 08:34 PM
I think of 2 things when she has her glasses on: 1)An old lady who sits wrapped in a thick shawl with her orthopedic heavy black shoes on and her knee hi stocking rolled down her legs (like Vicki Lawrence when she played Mama on Mama's Family) and 2)The computer geek with his horn rimmed glasses, black pants, white shirt, white socks with black shiny shoes and a pocket protector for his pens. They don't make her look intelligent or fashionable at all.

Posted by lia rose on 05-05-06 at 08:48 PM
LOL JustBNMe--conjuring vicki lawrence from a shot of christie. classic.

Posted by snowflake2 on 05-05-06 at 09:48 PM
LOL, JustBNMe!

I am annoyed with Christie's glasses for the following reason: I think she wears them in an effort to look "intellectual", even though she has an extremely limited vocabulary, and, judging from her website, an inability to write or spell correctly.

Christie is so judgemental herself, that she expected to be judged by the women at the women's organization. She even had to ask them if it was okay that she doesn't have a college degree. In an effort to look "smart" and "professional", she put on what she must have thought was her businesswoman look...the glasses, the gaucho pants <<eyeroll>>, boots, and business portfolio. Instead, she looked stupid---like a child playing dress-up.

If she wants to be taken seriously, she should learn how to talk properly rather than plopping on a pair of eyeglasses.

Posted by Twinkles on 05-05-06 at 10:19 PM
That style of glasses are often seen as the schoolgirl look but I can think of other reasons why she might wear them at times.

If they are photosensitive she probably wears them as her sunglasses. It would make sense to wear them outdoors or when leaving the house. If they are prescription it's cheaper to have photosensitive prescription glasses than one pair of clear glasses and another pair of prescription sunglasses.

Also if she's nervous about facing strangers she might be tempted to keep wearing them as a way to hide a little bit. That could fit the situation at Passages where she was clearly uncomfortable. She might have just left them on after she walked indoors once she saw all the people who made her feel outclassed.

I wear contact lenses now but when I had photosensitive glasses I didn't really need them at conversation distance. I only took them off, though, if I was sure I wouldn't lose them and if I was comfortable with the people around me. I guess an observer would have had trouble telling my glasses wearing patterns, too.

Posted by Cygnus X1 on 05-05-06 at 10:32 PM

Better than I deserve. So's this sig by tribephyl.

Posted by EMTBGRL on 05-05-06 at 10:38 PM
OK, I missed the Christie glasses with the 5K meeting. Was she at the meeting, or was she actually running? imho those are two different things. If she was running? If Christie NEEDS glasses to see? I would encourage her to wear them (no matter how awful they are) because there is no worse feeling than taking a header onto pavement because you tripped on a pebble you didn't see--- yeah. I'm talkin' about me.

Running into the chain link fence around the track is no picnic, either! :-O

If Christie wore these glasses to the meeting? pbbbtt who cares? Christie needs to focus more on proper speech than mumble mumble mumble glasses...

yeah. The mumbling is far more annoying than anything on Christie's face.

Posted by kristin830 on 05-06-06 at 10:44 PM
Is she the female answer to Clark Kent? Oh that's right, she wants to be a super model. That must be her look to avoid the papparazzi. After Starting Over she will go on America's Next Top Model. Then the Biggest Loser, Then Blind Date, then Divorce Court, then back to Starting Over.

Posted by kalalala on 05-07-06 at 06:07 PM
I love Christie's glasses!! They're very fashionable and in style right now, and I think they look very good on her, fit her face shape and all.

And Twinkles said:
"If they are photosensitive she probably wears them as her sunglasses. It would make sense to wear them outdoors or when leaving the house."
"I wear contact lenses now but when I had photosensitive glasses I didn't really need them at conversation distance. I only took them off, though, if I was sure I wouldn't lose them and if I was comfortable with the people around me."

I too take my glasses on and off at various times. I need them for distance, to see where I'm going, but they bug me for reading, so they're on and off all the time, and I'm hardly thinking about what other people are judging me to be just because of whether my glasses are on or off. They're strictly for me, and my vision deficiencies.

Posted by UWSider on 05-07-06 at 06:36 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-07-06 AT 06:37 PM (EST)

LORD, I feel sorry for these women! Is there anything you people won't pick on? LOL Poor Christie--I like her glasses, I think they're quite chic actually.

As for "inconsistencies" with her vision problems--She probably wears contacts most of the time but wears her glasses occasionally too. Where have you people been? Are you unaware of the advances in corrective vision over the past thirty years? I switch back and forth between glasses and contacts all the time but not to "look smarter", usually because my eyes are tired or my allergies are acting up.

As for glasses turning dark outside, this rare and exotic technology has been available since the 1970s. Many people buy them in lieu of having prescription sunglasses made. One popular brand is Transitions Lenses. Check 'em out--and contact lenses, too. You don't know what you're missing!

Posted by standinmytruth on 05-07-06 at 09:10 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-07-06 AT 09:10 PM (EST)

1. Don't bash me and fellow posters.

2. Christie's glasses show up ONLY in situations where she is desperate to seem intellectual and in control of her out of control life.

Posted by annie828 on 05-07-06 at 09:20 PM
He's been bashing posts all day. Obviously a friend of the hg's.

Posted by turquiosedove on 05-07-06 at 10:18 PM
>2. Christie's glasses show up ONLY in situations where she is >desperate to seem intellectual and in control of her out of >control life.
Copy/Paste

Its sooo true what you say!!

Posted by kalalala on 05-07-06 at 10:59 PM
Quote: standinmytruth
"Don't bash me and fellow posters." and
Quote: annie828
"He's been bashing posts all day. Obviously a friend of the hg's."

Well, I don't know a soul on SO, I'm not a friend of anyone that's involved, and when UWSider said "LORD, I feel sorry for these women!" I have to agree with him. Yes, these women knowingly put themself on tv, but I daresay MOST of them did it to get help with problems they were having, not for the tv exposure, and it amazes me how they get picked apart for their hair and their voice and their looks and their clothes and every such thing, how they can be so 'hated' for their appearance rather than their behavior. No wonder they're told to stay off the message boards by the life coaches. It must be very hard to read some of this stuff.

Quote: standinmytruth
"Christie's glasses show up ONLY in situations where she is desperate to seem intellectual and in control of her out of control life."

That you see. Niambi says in her MySpace that the cameras are on them 18 hours a day, that they're in your face when you're waking up in the morning until you go to bed at night. But we see maybe five to ten minutes a day of the footage of each of them, less on some days. So it's a stretch to say Christie ONLY wears them in certain situations. I've seen her wearing them when she's lounging around on the couch (which she does an awful lot of the time) and in any number of other situations as well.

Posted by UWSider on 05-08-06 at 01:31 PM
Jeez, what a flap I created on here--who knew?
By the way, I didn't mean to bash anyone, you'll notice the strategically placed "LOL" after I said "is there anything you people won't pick on". I was merely making a joke. Maybe I should have included one of these.

As for "bashing people all day", where does that come from? I take great care not to get personal in my posts and do not now or have ever known any SO houseguest. If I disagree with you it's not bashing. I try to support my arguements with fair and thorough examples of the point I'm trying to make. I enjoy a lively, intelligent debate. These boards wouldn't be very interesting if everyone agreed all the time. Don't view a different opinion as a bash, view it as an invitation for a spirited and informed exchange of ideas.

Sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes.

"WARNING - UWSider"
Posted by mysticwolf on 05-07-06 at 10:52 PM
Yes, there's something that we women, and men, too, won't pick on. At least on these boards. It's called other posters. As far as the show and the people appearing on it, they're fair game.

Please read our guidelines and the Moderator SO FAQ message to learn our site rules and refrain from bashing other posters in the future.

An Arkie curious cub blogging's scary

"And"
Posted by Cygnus X1 on 05-07-06 at 11:15 PM
How many times do we have to tell the rest of you to just hit Alert and don't throw your two cents in?

"Show-hopping?"
Posted by Cygnus X1 on 05-08-06 at 11:57 AM
Is she the female answer to Clark Kent? Oh that's right, she wants to be a super model. That must be her look to avoid the papparazzi. After Starting Over she will go on America's Next Top Model. Then the Biggest Loser, Then Blind Date, then Divorce Court, then back to Starting Over.

As I like to do every once in a while, I'm pointing out that you have stumbled onto the prime reason why this site exists. Most reality show stars (if you can call them that) will do ANYthing to extend their 15 minutes of fame.

Hence the DAW levels underneath your name, which are all things that reality show folks have done after their runs to stay in the limelight. More about that here.

Better than I deserve. So's this sig by tribephyl.

Posted by 00fun on 05-08-06 at 10:39 AM
Christie is a fashion wanna-beShe thinks she looks TRENDY and Hollywood fashionable.....Sorry Christie, I bet you got those cheap glasses at the local drug store, thinking we will think you spent a bundle....you aren't fooling anyone.

Posted by Juliejo on 05-08-06 at 11:43 AM
Christie has a self-esteem issue and told Rhonda that she didnt feel qualified to create the 5-K race because she has not gone to college. SOOOOOOOOOOOOO she puts on those funky looking glasses to make herself appear intellectual. It isnt' working and it only makes her look STUPID. The only time she wears them is when she wants to impress someone. She feels very inferior I'm guessing.

Posted by petmama on 05-08-06 at 06:21 PM
They look like "old lady" glasses to me. Maybe she's just accessorizing her whiny "old lady" voice.