URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID57
Thread Number: 4551
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Niambi's Hair"

Posted by mcclan9 on 05-03-06 at 04:02 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-03-06 AT 04:10 PM (EST)

What is happening with Niambi's hair? The changes are so extreme, I wonder if she wears hair pieces?

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Niambi's Hair"
Posted by VelvetElegance on 05-03-06 at 08:33 PM
ummm... That would be a big fat yes..Niambi wears a weave. She probably has very thin hair.. I actually like the short curly style better than the long straight Elvira type deal..

Posted by allenjo on 05-03-06 at 10:34 PM
Yeah.... I like her curly hair. The straight hair made her face darker and cold.

Posted by Juliejo on 05-04-06 at 11:00 AM
I too like the short curly hair style. The long her style made her look washed out and tired looking.

Posted by eire_heart74 on 05-04-06 at 11:58 AM
I love the curls on her. It's so cute.

Posted by Jadens Mommy on 05-04-06 at 12:29 PM
More and more people are using hair pieces now not only among African American groups. It's not such a taboo thing any more. Even though I have a lot of hair, I'm considering buying an updo kind of piece cuz I'm not good at messing with my hair...and I'm not African American.

Posted by SimplySusi on 05-04-06 at 12:34 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-04-06 AT 02:29 PM (EST)

Frankly, I'm thrilled that someone on TV who is seen by millions of viewers is wearing hairpieces or hair additions/supplements without it seeming like it is something you have to be all embarassed about and hide. This may not be an issue for Niambi, having some sort of hairloss, but for those of us who DO have issues with hair loss and/or losing all our hair (Alopecia), for whatever reason - most of the time it is medically related - it's WONDERFUL and heartwarming for us to see someone in a high profile position to be very "okay" with it. It only helps IMHO, to enhance the acceptance of society with this and lessen the shame that is involved.

Posted by cronemoon on 05-04-06 at 01:37 PM
Ditto... I think Niambis Hair is so very cute and well done and beautiful... its a piece well kewl..i am glad they have those for women to wear..she looks very nice with it...

and this is being typed from a woman who grabbed the wrong color hair dye had a reaction to it and now looks like peter pan..
bwhahhhh ha ha ha

thank the Goddess hair grows..

I say Niambi should wear as many diff hair pieces as she can
i would love to see the diff styles.. and learn a thing or two..

( =making note..never color hair goth black when you have a thyroid problem..=) grin..

it is soooooooooooooooooooooo refreshing to see Niambi showing up with great looking hair..most others look like they forgot where the shampoo is or the hair brush..

Posted by Woo on 05-04-06 at 02:26 PM
>LAST EDITED ON 05-03-06
>AT 04:10 PM (EST)

>
>What is happening with Niambi's hair?
>The changes are so extreme,
>I wonder if she wears
>hair pieces?

It isn't that extreme, it looks like she simply set her weave with curlers to achieve a different style. Most women I know change their hairstyles weekly. I, personally, couldn't imagine wearing my hair in the same style week in/week out.

Posted by passion4 on 05-04-06 at 02:26 PM
>LAST EDITED ON 05-03-06
>AT 04:10 PM (EST)

>
>What is happening with Niambi's hair?
>The changes are so extreme,
>I wonder if she wears
>hair pieces?

I like Niambi's hair curly too, but for some reason she always look just worn out, tired and sad! It's hard not to focus on the "bags" under her eyes when looking at her. Why, must every black woman that comes on the show, has to wear weave (rather, they choose to)?
Most of the time, it looks very unprofessional, which makes look a mess! Is weave just a "fad" or is it worn because, they think "the longer the hair, the prettier they look?
I understand health conditions being a reason, but what's wrong with "embracing" your own hair, no matter what the length is. Is the hair extensions just another undiscovered mask? I'm just asking because, I know women who is all about their weave. And, somehow without it, their less than, or not as confident without it.

Posted by Zoey on 05-04-06 at 07:42 PM
^ I understand what you're saying and for many African - Americans, it's an ethnic issue.

But then, why do many caucasions color their hair when it turns a bit grey (or just because they want change), or get extentions for a change of pace?

I think it's a fashion thing and that it's ok to do it just for the fun of it. (Just like there are many people who wear prosthetic breasts for a medical reason and some do it just to look good in an evening gown.)

I don't think people should be hung up on either taking away from or looking more ethnic. Hair extentions don't make black women look white. I wish that people could just do what they wanted with their style because that's what they like and not be condemned by one race or another. *Dances around with tie-die shirt making peace sign*

Posted by snowflake2 on 05-04-06 at 08:03 PM
I don't know about Niambi's latest hairstyle. I think the shortish curls contrast poorly with her face. By that I mean the hairstyle is so "perky", it kind of looks out of place around Niambi's face, which always looks so expressionless and tired. (She even looks expressionless when she's crying, like today at BOR...the only way you know she's crying is because you see the wetness of the tears.) She never looks happy, sad, amused, angry, or anything...just blank and exhausted.

Also, I think Niambi's eyebrow arches are way too severe...almost Vulcan or Romulan.

Posted by VelvetElegance on 05-04-06 at 09:04 PM
Snowflake, I can understand why you would say her short curls smack of perkiness and you're right. They do make her look perky and maybe that's why I like them so much because so much of Niambi is already dark and dreary..depressive almost. You're also right about her eyebrows they have a very sinister arch to them and she would do well to rethink how she shapes them..It's very weird. Still, I think anything that makes her seem less like a Frankenbride is a good thing...

Posted by Sues on 05-04-06 at 09:54 PM
I'm not in love with her eyebrows either...think Andy is?
I LOVE her hair short and curly...it's so pretty. But hey, if she want's to throw in some extensions for a bit of length..go for it!

I've been messing with my color since I was a teenager (now I do it more for the gray..lol). I look at hair as an 'accessory' or a way to outwardly express ourselves. It grows back (most of the time), so why not have fun with it?

As to Niambi's 'tired' look...I soooooo get that. She's drained and not in the physical way that sleep can fix...she's emotionally drained. She's glazed over because to go any deeper is so frightening and potentially damaging. I feel the same way alot of the time. You find a place that's 'just enough' and stay there...but even that drags you down. I have dark circles and I'm tired most of the time....so needless to say, I am watching this story with great interest....

Let's just hope Iyanla brings in someone else for the makeover....

Posted by bellyButton on 05-04-06 at 11:19 PM
I think Niambi should do whatever she wants with her hair. i do like the curls tho becuz to me it softens her athletic body/face. her eyes are puffy cuz she's in an emotional trainwreck. when i cry i cannot hide it. btw..i'm OLD compared to prob most of you and i got tired of coloring my grey..year after year of all those bottles of blonde, red, black...one color after another..i started watching S.O. and one day i had my hubby buzz my head...it felt free and wonderful. if i were younger or had a facelift i'd buzz it for a long time. talk about freedom...now it's about 3-4in long on top..still very short in back and under but it's a beautiful gray and silver and so so soft..one thing i never did with my daughter's was to make a big deal out of what they did to their hair or how they dressed or their makeup...i pretty much did what i wanted all my life for self expression so why care really what someone else does? society makes a big deal out of what a woman should look like from head to toe and i'll never fit that mold. if i were losing my hair i'd just keep it bald and just have a collection of skull caps and hats.
Niambi..if it's clean..that's all that would matter to me.

Posted by Boots12565 on 05-04-06 at 11:35 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-04-06 AT 11:37 PM (EST)

I would LOVE to get a weave!I love to try different hairstyles-My hair has been every color known to man-And then some!Even green once -I tried to put an ash blonde over platinum-(Dont try at Home)!!I think its great niambi changes her hairstyle-We all need a change now and then-It keeps thinks INTERESTING!!!PEACE AT YAI meant THINGS Interesting!!(ME BAD)

Posted by mrsnut on 05-05-06 at 10:03 PM

I think the short curly hair made her look younger. I liked it better the the long hair. I don't think the changes are extreme. It's nice to do something different, instead of looking the same way all the time.