URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID87
Thread Number: 455
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Dancing With The Stars #6 Episode #2 East Coast Update Thread"

Posted by Estee on 03-18-08 at 02:04 PM
oh yes it's ladies' night
and the steps are completely wrong
the camera work still svcks
oh what a night

there are no sigpics here
or talent
I fear
if you're looking for skills
you'll find a fright

because it's going to stink
stink really bad
you'll feel like
you've been had
and watching paula instead
won't help at all...

oh yes it's ladies' night
and you showed up anyway
which means just one thing
you have to pay

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Dancing With The Stars #6 Episode #2 East Coast Update Thread"
Posted by Estee on 03-18-08 at 08:20 PM
After enough recap to choke a newborn whale, we're told Shannon & Derek will start the night after the break. Fifteen minutes in and we're just about to consider getting started. Oh, and we've learned that Shannon doesn't do well in heels. Plus she has dogs. And considers herself a tomboy. Who has to sleep in heels so she can get used to them.

Maybe if we're really lucky, they'll just use the first segment next week for a quick round of blackjack.

Posted by Snidget on 03-18-08 at 08:22 PM
So you are saying I won't have missed much popping over after Idol?

"Shannon & Derek: 21"
Posted by Estee on 03-18-08 at 08:28 PM
They've got a strategy working, and it only takes three letters to spell. She'll wear as little as possible, he'll go for the boyish charm, and they'll just pray everyone looks at her legs while no one's paying any attention to the footwork. This can work for the audience, but it doesn't do anything with the judges. But it's exactly what Shannon's fanbase wants...

She can move, and there's some natural talent there to build on -- but for now, it looks like they're going to ride the short skirts. Straight up.

"RE: Shannon & Derek: 21"
Posted by vince3 on 03-18-08 at 08:31 PM
They danced the Cha Cha to Shut up and Drive?

"RE: Shannon & Derek: 21"
Posted by CattyChat on 03-19-08 at 07:25 AM
I like Shannon and feel for her, as the odds are stacked against her making it past the first cut. For some reason, DWTS voters don't favor the attractive women and they are usually first cut.

I thought she did pretty well for her first effort. Derek is one of the better choreographers of the bunch. I hope she makes it through the first cut.

"Monica and Jonathan"
Posted by vince3 on 03-18-08 at 08:35 PM
Another tomboy, this time a tennis Grand Slam Champion. This one may be too aggressive on the dance floor, though......

Dancing the Fox Trot

Song: ??? (I've actually heard this one on the radio, but I don't know the title....)

"RE: Monica and Jonathan"
Posted by vince3 on 03-18-08 at 08:40 PM
She kinda got roasted by the judges......

Scores: 5 ~ 5 ~ 5 for a total of 15 and currently tied for dead last! With Adam Carolla!

OOFA!

Posted by Snidget on 03-18-08 at 09:09 PM
This song is

Colbie Caillat - Bubbly

Posted by CattyChat on 03-19-08 at 07:29 AM
Well, I really wanted to root for Monica, but I don't think it's going to happen.

Not only was she pretty terrible, but Jonathan had way too much non-dancing filler in the number. I hate that. I'd rather have the star attempt to dance, even badly, than have all this cover up garbage. Just dance!!!

Monica seems really nice, but the other thing that annoyed me was her repeating ad nauseam "This is my prom." Okay, I got it the first, second, third, fourth . . . time you said it. The first time she said it Mon night it was cute, the second time I got the the point, the third and other times it was P.A.T.H.E.T.I.C.

"Monica & Jonathan: 15"
Posted by Estee on 03-18-08 at 08:41 PM
Ouch. Monica described her problem during the introductory segment: she doesn't know how to turn off the inner competitor. Where most women had a section of their childhood that let them seek out a feminine role model if they wanted one, Monica was on the court learning how to focus her intensity and kill people with a 120 mph serve. The first dance focuses on her lost prom, but -- she can't seem to soften herself. Right now, it feels as if she's forcing herself to move, listening to the music without understanding the notes. Everything's being done by rote -- and that's going to send her back to the court before she figures out the emotions which should have been powering the dance.

"Marrissa and Tony"
Posted by vince3 on 03-18-08 at 08:47 PM
Very bubbly and giggly. Her biggest problem will actually be toning her energy down

Dancing the Cha Cha

Song: Shawty get Low? Apple Bottom Jeans? *shrug*

"RE: Marrissa and Tony"
Posted by Snidget on 03-18-08 at 08:55 PM
"Low" is the name of that song.

"RE: Marissa and Tony"
Posted by vince3 on 03-18-08 at 08:55 PM
Looks like it was too much energy and not enough Cha Cha.....

Scores: 6 ~ 6 ~ 6 for a total for 18.

Posted by dragonflies on 03-18-08 at 10:11 PM
You obviously don't have a teen or preteen child.

Sadly, I know most of the words to that song. It is by Flo Rida, not pronounced like the state.

Posted by CattyChat on 03-19-08 at 07:35 AM
Seriously, someone needs to give this girl a tranquilizer. OMGosh, she was so annoying!! I am a person who goes for bubbly happy personalities, until they go into psycho overdrive.

I felt bad for Tony. I don't think I could handle more than an hour of Marissa. Who am I kidding, I couldn't handle the 5 min of her last night.

Marissa is my new Lisa Rinna -- too over-the-top for me to handle.

Oh and I wasn't impressed with her dancing either. It was too jumpy-jerky. Someone spike her drink with a little tranq. and bring her down a couple notches and she will be wonderful.

I think I was in a sour mood last night, because too many shows were going on at once and I was sick of flipping back and forth on my DVR only to catch "not-worth-the-effort" performances.

"Marissa & Tony: scores after the break,"
Posted by Estee on 03-18-08 at 08:52 PM
As she steps out and promptly declares through her song choice that she is going to put up with absolutely no criticism based in body type...

Marissa's problem is going to be containing herself to the movements of each week's dance. She could have the most potential skill of anyone we've seen so far, but her issue is the exact opposite of Monica's: her emotions will run away with her. She'll go Broadway at the drop of anything you care to let go of, and the format of ballroom won't come close to holding her back. If she can work within the very formalized motions of what she's presented with and America doesn't freak out about having her here, she can go a long way. But without that self-control, she'll be the next traveler on Sabrina's road.

"RE: Marissa & Tony: 18"
Posted by Estee on 03-18-08 at 09:00 PM
The audience loves her. The panel isn't sure what to do with her.

That sounds familiar...

"Queen Priscilla and Louis"
Posted by vince3 on 03-18-08 at 09:05 PM
Both are nervous and he's intimidated. They'll attempt the Death Spiral during their dance.... *gulp*

Dancing the Fox Trot

Song: ?????

"RE: Queen Priscilla and Louis"
Posted by vince3 on 03-18-08 at 09:09 PM
Scores: 8 ~ 8 ~ 8 for a total of 24 and co-leader!

Both the judges and the crowd loved her......

Posted by jbug on 03-18-08 at 09:14 PM
How old is Pricilla (i'm too lazy to go look it up).

Posted by Estee on 03-18-08 at 09:47 PM
Sixty-two, I think.

Posted by jbug on 03-18-08 at 10:00 PM
Thanks Estee, that sounds about right.
Pretty good moves for an ole a mature woman!
Better than any of the older men have done in past seasons.

Posted by Snidget on 03-18-08 at 09:14 PM
Song
"Feeling Good"

Posted by CattyChat on 03-19-08 at 07:43 AM
Oh, Man. I already had my 3 women to root for and then Priscilla has to come along and surprised me with a very good performance and likeable personality.

I was really impressed with her Foxtrot. Elegant and a higher difficulty level than one would expect from a first-timer.

The two things working against her in my own personal opinion:

1. Louis - The one pro I am truly repulsed by since S-1. Never liked icky, creepy Louis.

2. Priscilla's scary over-Botoxed/surgically dehanced face. If CBS would put a blur blob over P's face or chop in a Priscilla head before all the alterations, it would be so much better. Better yet, chop in a kitty face. That would be lovely and I would have to throw her a vote then.

I thought she was lovely from the neck down.

"Priscilla & Louis: 24"
Posted by Estee on 03-18-08 at 09:12 PM
Huh. Didn't see that coming.

Priscilla may have the elegance factor here, but age isn't always just a number: she might wind up with a real worry about stamina and endurance as the intensive training continues. But if she's in shape and can keep going throughout, we're looking at a very serious competitor in this season -- and you can't underestimate the Graceland vote.

"RE: Priscilla & Louis: 24"
Posted by dragonflies on 03-18-08 at 10:13 PM
I was very pleasantly surprised. Elegant like Jane last season, but lots more content. Almost made me forgot about her overdone facelifting.

"Kristi and Mark"
Posted by vince3 on 03-18-08 at 09:17 PM
America's figure skating sweetheart is now married with two kids. Skating is done with flat feet, sho she's worried about her footwork......

Dancing the Fox Trot

Song: Can You Imagine?

"RE: Kristi and Mark"
Posted by Snidget on 03-18-08 at 09:18 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-18-08 AT 09:19 PM (EST)

Song Title is "More I See You" Michael Buble

ETA: It isn't even 10:15 and I've caught up just watching the performances.

Posted by vince3 on 03-18-08 at 09:20 PM
I think we got a strong female contender for the win here......

Scores: 9 ~ 9 ~ 9 for our new leader with 27!

Posted by Snidget on 03-18-08 at 09:22 PM
Her awareness of her body line and center from the figure skating seems to be translating really well.

It will be interesting to see if she can do the Latin dances well.

Posted by CattyChat on 03-19-08 at 07:49 AM
Beautiful. I knew Kristy wouldn't disappoint. Kristi and Mark are definitely the couple to beat. As soon as the cast announcement came out I pegged Kristi as the winner. Crossing my fingers she continues to blow us away all the way to a win.

She has all the elements: natural talent, sweet personality, grace/elegance and the drive of a world-class athlete.

Kristi will do what Stacy Kiebler and Mel B couldn't.

Posted by Chez on 03-19-08 at 08:26 AM
I agree.

But you forgot one essential component she has that Mel B and Stacey K did not. Which Jerry Rice and Emmet Smith had, and it took them far.

Name recognition.

Everyone in the country knows her name.

She will win. Final two: Kristie and Jason

"Kristi & Mark: 27"
Posted by Estee on 03-18-08 at 09:26 PM
Uh-oh.

Performance skills? Manipulating the movements of her body? Outright mastery of kinesthetics? Always knowing her exact position combined with easy memorization of the patterns required to get to the next one? Sure, she can go on about the differences in foot positioning and not being used to the heels, but...

...Apolo could have said the same thing...

"RE: Kristi & Mark: 27"
Posted by qwertypie on 03-19-08 at 00:05 AM
Apolo skated to music too?

Posted by Estee on 03-19-08 at 07:27 AM
In modern arenas, everything is done to music.

Loud, obnoxious, overdone music.

Posted by qwertypie on 03-19-08 at 09:36 AM
point taken

"Marlee and Fabian"
Posted by vince3 on 03-18-08 at 09:30 PM
She's gonna completely rely on Fabian's body movement to be her beat, since she's profoundly deaf (her words) and can only occasionally hear the beats of the music.........

Dancing the Cha Cha

Song: Get On Your Feet

"RE: Marlee and Fabian"
Posted by vince3 on 03-18-08 at 09:34 PM
Scores: 7 ~ 7 ~ 8 for a score of 22.

"Marlee & Fabian: 22"
Posted by Estee on 03-18-08 at 09:37 PM
As with all the other performers, this is about memorizing movement patterns and getting your body to cooperate with them. Marlee can't be distracted by the band destroying the song -- but she was staying closer to her partner than most of the other dancer. She's already said Fabian is her music: she takes her cues from him. For a close-contact dance, they're fine. For performances with extended separation, it's all going to come down to the memorization. An Oscar-winning actress can get a complete script in her head -- but just about everyone needs a cue card eventually.

"RE: Marlee & Fabian: 22"
Posted by dragonflies on 03-18-08 at 10:14 PM
DH & I were talking about her performance, and how it almost looked like Fabian was cueing her a bit through touch as well. Still very well done.

Posted by Snidget on 03-19-08 at 05:46 AM
I noticed there were times they were apart one of his hands would be out and she'd be looking that direction.

I think he's doing a good job of incorporating the cues into the choreography.

Posted by CattyChat on 03-19-08 at 07:57 AM
I'm a Marlee fan and was excited to see how she would do on DWTS. Great effort on her first night. I was very impressed.

I'm so glad there is someone with a disability that I can root for and I respect. I felt the tiniest bit of guilt for hating on an amputee a couple seasoons back.

Kudos to the new guy for working so well with Marlee. He did a great job and it showed in the performance. I was surprised there weren't more out-of-synch/step moments during the routine. Marlee is fantastic.

Added bonus: Bruno speaking at a more normal speed for Marlee's interpreter and not going crazy with embellished adjectives.

Posted by qwertypie on 03-19-08 at 00:56 AM
Thanks guys and gals. The network (stupid CTV)that carries it here in Canada has decided not to show the women's night due to scheduling conflicts. GRRRRRRR! Guess I will have to break down and order cable.

"Behind the Scenes"
Posted by Loree on 03-19-08 at 01:03 PM
Here's what else you didn't get to see on Tuesday night:

• During dress rehearsals, Idol's Ryan Seacrest (who was waiting for his show to go live in the studio down the hall) crashed the ballroom and "took over" from host Tom Bergeron, reading his lines from the teleprompter. "I wish we could do it for real on the show," says Bergeron, "with me faking laryngitis."

• Just before show time, an expectant Lisa Marie Presley, looking chic and wearing tons of bling, slid into her ringside seat alongside her husband, Michael Lockwood. "I was so glad they were there," says Priscilla after the show. "But I couldn't look at them because it would've thrown me off completely."

• The six male celebs, led by NFL great Jason Taylor, gave tennis star Monica Seles a standing ovation after her fox-trot. "The guys are definitely trailing," says Taylor, after seeing the women dance. But Seles was devastated by getting the lowest score of the night (15 out of 30) and broke down in tears after the show. "It's disappointing after working so hard," says Seles. "I know I tried my best and I guess the tears just had to come out." Asked if she had ever cried after losing a tennis match, Seles says, "Oh, yes. If it was hard, if it was close. I let my emotions out on the court. What you see is what you get."

• During a commercial break, Adam Carolla grabbed the microphone from the warm-up comic. Carolla did an impromptu stand-up routine on how warm-up guys do nothing but sleep in and cash their checks. "You people are the reason we dance," Carolla told the audience. "Not the warm-up guy who is way overcompensated."

• After the show, Zack Wilson, Julianne Hough's former fiancι (and one of the recent winners of Dance War: Bruno vs. Carrie Ann), folded Hough in his arms and gave her a big hug. "They're still very close," says Hough's father, Bruce, who is relieved that his daughter, 19, didn't marry at such a young age. "Her career right now is a rocket ship," says Bruce, "and she knew that she couldn't be married because her life is changing so fast. But we all love Zack."

• Marissa Jaret Winokur's older brother, Mark, took endless pictures as his ebullient sister worked the press line. "She's lovable, adorable, sweet and kind," he says. "You should have seen her at the Tonys. She didn't expect to win the Tony. You never expect to win something like that."

• Marlee Matlin's husband, L.A. police detective Kevin Grandalski, was beaming as he watched his wife dance the cha cha. He was the one who talked Matlin into doing the show. "I was amazed," he says afterwards. "I'd never seen her rehearse, so this is the first time I saw her dance. I knew she could do it. Her deafness isn't a limit to doing anything." Grandalski says the family knows how to show Matlin the love: They have a special leg and foot massager that Matlin "can sit in for hours when she comes home." — Deborah Starr Seibel