URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID87
Thread Number: 452
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Dancing With The Stars #6 Episode #1 East Coast Update Thread."

Posted by Estee on 03-17-08 at 01:56 PM
Can you provide near-instant mini-summaries of typical Week #1 performances that hedge on the border of nightmare? Are you capable of not only identifying, but sensibly running in terror from crazy bears in the woods? Do you have it in you not to be instantly and terminally offended by cheerful atheism, female contestants who don't take a Size -1, and Police Academy flashback? When confronted with an incomprehensible choice of camera angles which leaves you looking at the floor -- your own -- do you yawn? Then you may be qualified to segcap this series! Please provide multiple written samples of your work tonight when the episode starts, and don't worry about it being perfect on the first try. Samantha's had about a hundred tries by now and none of them have even been remotely passable, so why should you care?

Or just comment along as desired, 'cause segcapping isn't for everyone. (It's been known to cause twitches in laboratory rats.)

New season. New contestants. New trainers. New heights of verbal ejaculation from Bruno. And new depths reached in the eternal competition between Ms. Harris and Ms. Abdul to see which one can be the least comprehensible.

We're live, on -- Dancing With The DAWS: Round Six!

And no sigpics. Penn will just make them disappear.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Dancing With The Stars #6 Episode #1 East Coast Update Thread."
Posted by Snidget on 03-17-08 at 07:09 PM
I'm here, but as I've said, I'm not seg-capping this season. Hopefully I'll be able to bring some snark every so often.

"Pro's Group Dance"
Posted by vince3 on 03-17-08 at 07:11 PM
To "Let Me Entertain You"

Ow.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't at least one version of this song belong to Queen? The band, however, seems to be playing a version from the Who, specifically a Tommy version of it.......

We're in for a loooooong night.......

"RE: Pro's Group Dance-Maks"
Posted by lynkfri13 on 03-17-08 at 07:30 PM
The Pro's had an "entertaining" opening, but during the dance, I found myself looking for, and missing Maks.

I think the show will suffer without him,

"They get a free week!"
Posted by vince3 on 03-17-08 at 07:20 PM
There will be no eliminations this week. Everyone will get to dance next week.

Men dance today (90 minutes for 6 couples? Major brackage ahead.....)

Women dance tomorrow.

Posted by Estee on 03-17-08 at 07:20 PM
Penn gets to lead off. I guess they wanted him to have one moment in the spotlight before the national movement to get him off started...

He does have the most stage experience and he can play to an audience, but he's also the one with the most factors working against him, physical to social. Without seeing anyone perform, he'd be my pick for first boot.

Which makes me wonder how he thinks he'll do -- because he's an intelligent bottom-line rationalist, and just about has to have a serious assessment of his chances.

"Jason Taylor and Edyta"
Posted by vince3 on 03-17-08 at 07:34 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-17-08 AT 07:36 PM (EST)

Ohh for the love of...... grrr.....

Posted by udg on 03-17-08 at 10:12 PM
before the national movement to get him off

I? Did not need that mental scarring.

Where's Jbug? Pass the bottle, please!

"Penn Gillette and Kym Johnson"
Posted by vince3 on 03-17-08 at 07:22 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-17-08 AT 07:24 PM (EST)

Kym gets to meet Sasquatch Penn at his place.

Penn says she's got a big stumbling block to winning it all..... him.

Dancing the Cha-Cha (thanks Len!)

Song: Tell me one more time?

"RE: Penn Gillette and Kym Johnson"
Posted by vince3 on 03-17-08 at 07:27 PM
I guess they're gonna combine this week's scores/votes and then next week's........

Anyways: 5 ~ 6 ~ 5 for a total of 16.

"RE: Penn Gillette and Kym Johnson"
Posted by Snidget on 03-17-08 at 07:42 PM
Song might be Fool In Love bye Ike and Tina Turner?

"Penn & Kym: 16"
Posted by Estee on 03-17-08 at 07:29 PM
This looks familiar. Once again, Kym's drawn the performer: the celebrity who's enjoying the acting and character roles of the dance, but who doesn't have the technical aspects to go very far. Penn's doing his best with his unique personality and perspective, but I don't know if it's going to be enough to get past the first elimination. Either he gets very good on the quickstep, or...

...well, 'or' will do.

He'd be a better results show filler than Kenny Mayne, though.

"RE: Penn & Kym: 16"
Posted by JACSUZWIN on 03-17-08 at 07:53 PM
He could be 3-4 inches taller if he danced on his toes like he should, heaven forbid. Poor Kym...she's so likeable.

"RE: Penn & Kym: 16"
Posted by qwertypie on 03-17-08 at 10:24 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-17-08 AT 10:25 PM (EST)

Well, I was grateful for the cruddy camera work. YIKES!

"Jason Taylor and Edyta"
Posted by vince3 on 03-17-08 at 07:37 PM
Jason's is a little worried about having to back to mini-camp etc. and getting razzed by his teammates.

Edyta's worried about him not appearing macho enough at times, since he's a little shy.......

Dancing the Fox Trot

Song: (You are My) Pride and Joy?

"RE: Jason Taylor and Edyta"
Posted by vince3 on 03-17-08 at 07:39 PM
Next week will be a double elimination. The lowest male and female star will be eliminated next week.

Scores: 7 ~ 8 ~ 7 for a total of 22.

"RE: Jason Taylor and Edyta"
Posted by JACSUZWIN on 03-17-08 at 07:57 PM
Could we just say hot,hot,hot!!! I thought he did great. Maybe it's Edyta's year.

Posted by qwertypie on 03-17-08 at 07:38 PM
verbal ejaculation OMH - I got to write that one down.
I still got 2.5 hours to go.

"Jason & Edyta: 22"
Posted by Estee on 03-17-08 at 07:40 PM
Just about the opposite of Penn. Jason also has raw skills from his day job that can translate to dance, but his are all about movement. While he's good at gliding, he can memorize the patterns, and his posture is precise, he doesn't have the emotional context to his dance. At the moment, he's a very reserved robot who's still far too concerned with the image he's presenting to his teammates. If he continues on this route, he'll be good -- but he won't have fun.

"Cristian and Cheryl Burke"
Posted by vince3 on 03-17-08 at 07:46 PM
He's a member of the Chilean Air Force!

He's a bit of a ham..... and a wee bit robotic.....

Dancing the Cha-Cha

Song: WTF? Bang Bang? (It sounds like a Latino version of a Disco song.....) I dunno *takes big gulp*

"RE: Cristian and Cheryl Burke"
Posted by Snidget on 03-17-08 at 07:50 PM
All I could get was a misheard lyrics site, but it looks like "Bang Bang" is the name of the song.

Posted by CTgirl on 03-18-08 at 03:40 PM
Bang Bang by David Sanborn

Posted by Estee on 03-17-08 at 07:51 PM
And in the name of the PG-13 barrier, you may want to avoid recapping Bruno's comments for the rest of the night.

Posted by vince3 on 03-17-08 at 07:54 PM
I'm not even recapping the judgess' dreck.......

Posted by Snidget on 03-17-08 at 08:00 PM
wimp!

Posted by vince3 on 03-17-08 at 08:14 PM
Be glad I'm posting what I am, miss American Idol hostess..... or your precious Dancing might come closer to looking like Sunday's BB thread..... completely dead.

Posted by Snidget on 03-17-08 at 08:17 PM
I do appreciate what you are doing! *smooch*

Just realizing how much I seem to enjoy torturing myself way more than anyone else would.

I didn't realize when I pulled BB off my DVR it would kill the ECST

Posted by vince3 on 03-17-08 at 07:53 PM
Scores: 7 ~ 7 ~ 7 (slot machine!) For a score of Blackjack/21

"Cristian & Cheryl: scores after the break."
Posted by Estee on 03-17-08 at 07:50 PM
Like watching stop-motion posing. Cristian's part of the dance seemed to be all about saying 'Hey, America! I'm sexy! Vote for me!' (Certainly worked on Carrie.) But the emotional content felt too much like acting -- bad acting -- and the physical staging wasn't smooth. He can move, but he can't move like a dancer yet -- plus he's relying too much on his face.

Which is going to get him nowhere. Jason's much better-looking.

"RE: Cristian & Cheryl: scores after the break."
Posted by JACSUZWIN on 03-17-08 at 08:02 PM
I think he has potential. I think his smile is good....but needs to work on dancing. Good luck Cheryl.

Posted by jbug on 03-17-08 at 07:52 PM

hic up!

"Adam Carolla and Julianne"
Posted by vince3 on 03-17-08 at 07:57 PM
Poor, poor, Julianne........ she's in for a world of pain.

Dancing the Fox Trot

Song: Mellow Yellow (It took me a while....)

"RE: Adam Carolla and Julianne"
Posted by Snidget on 03-17-08 at 08:02 PM
I liked Adam's comment.

Something like I'm wearing a nine piece suit in front of 20 million people doing something I'm no good at, and I'm supposed to relax?

Posted by vince3 on 03-17-08 at 08:06 PM
Scores: 5 ~ 5 ~ 5 for a total of 15

Posted by Estee on 03-17-08 at 08:13 PM
I think that's the first time I've seen her begging for votes. She knows she's in trouble.

"Adam & Julianne: scores after the break."
Posted by Estee on 03-17-08 at 08:02 PM
Whoever's in charge of winding Adam up before the dance needs to give the key a few more twists. The clockwork wasn't reaching his frozen face.

Migawd: it was the Wedding Dance Of Frankenstein. Forget Penn's heavier build: Adam was the one not-so-merrily clunking his way across the floor, occasionally displaying a total absence of knees. Julianne had better have her fan base save them, or else Adam's prediction is coming true: goodbye perfect record...

"RE: Adam & Julianne: scores after the break."
Posted by JACSUZWIN on 03-17-08 at 08:05 PM
What was that dress? She's so cute but that dress looked like a garbage bag drapped in Big Bird yellow. Yuk. Dancing not so good either.

I guess the DWTS god's didn't help out either Samantha's still there and still bad.

"Mario and Karina"
Posted by vince3 on 03-17-08 at 08:09 PM
Karina is recovering from a neck injury..... could be a possible problem spot......

Dancing the Cha Cha

Song: Hey DJ?

"RE: Mario and Karina"
Posted by vince3 on 03-17-08 at 08:12 PM
Score: 8 ~ 8 ~ 8 for a score of 24.

Posted by Estee on 03-17-08 at 08:17 PM
Or, by Samantha-math, 26.

Posted by JACSUZWIN on 03-17-08 at 08:13 PM
Did a great job. Karina moved pretty well especially for neck surgery. I wonder if it was laser?

"Mario & Karina: 24."
Posted by Estee on 03-17-08 at 08:15 PM
The winners.

Okay, that's way premature, but -- if he can keep up that kind of learning curve and fix the minor flaws in his game while avoiding a terminal case of Cheetahitis, Mario can walk off with this competition. He has the potential skills: what he needs is a way to pull in the votes. The later don't always come...

Oh, and will someone please hose Carrie down? This is getting embarrassing.

"RE: Mario & Karina: 24."
Posted by Snidget on 03-17-08 at 08:24 PM
Is it me, or other than Mario does it look like they stacked the deck trying to make sure a woman would win for a change?

surely the women can't be as bad overall tomorrow night, can they?

Posted by vince3 on 03-17-08 at 08:25 PM
She was even panting over the British Bachelor........ at this pace she's gonna burn herself out......

Yes, they did look like our primary male contender for the title, but it only takes one bad week to eliminate yourself........ and he doesn't have the fanbase to save him if that happens.....

Posted by qwertypie on 03-17-08 at 11:28 PM
Oh, and will someone please hose Carrie down? This is getting embarrassing.

Mark the calendars, Carrie-Ann is obviously ovulating

"Steve Guttenberg and Anna"
Posted by vince3 on 03-17-08 at 08:21 PM
Steve's a willing student and Anna's gonna put him through the ringer. She takes him to a pro competition for inspiration....

Dancing the Fox Trot

Song: Up the Lazy River

"RE: Steve Guttenberg and Anna"
Posted by JACSUZWIN on 03-17-08 at 08:26 PM
I thought he did a good job for a non-dancer type. He has time to practice so I think he will improve. I've never been a big fan if Anna but that may be because she's always gone so early.

"RE: Steve Guttenberg and Anna"
Posted by vince3 on 03-17-08 at 08:29 PM
Scores: 6 ~ 6 ~ 6 (Aaack! Sign of the Devil!) for a total of 18.

"Steve & Anna: scores after the break."
Posted by Estee on 03-17-08 at 08:26 PM
Right now, I think Steve's just happy to be here. It's a Survivor factor playing into DWTS: 'I really came here for the experience!' In Steve's case, it's partially 'I'm on television in something new and people are watching!' with a touch of 'And I get to dance with Anna!' added in. The skills aren't there yet. The enthusiasm is -- but too much happy and too little footwork will have the judges taking you out every time.

"RE: Steve & Anna: scores after the break."
Posted by Loree on 03-17-08 at 10:29 PM
I got a chill when Steve mentioned his parents 50th. I hope they survive the season.

"RE: Steve & Anna: scores after the break."
Posted by qwertypie on 03-17-08 at 11:51 PM
Word.

"interviews with the women"
Posted by dragonflies on 03-17-08 at 10:07 PM
So how scary is it that Monica Seles looks older than Priscilla Presley?

"RE: interviews with the women"
Posted by CTgirl on 03-17-08 at 10:12 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-17-08 AT 10:13 PM (EST)

Yeah, but at least Monica still looks like herself. Priscilla looks like a wax figure. Her face lift is a tad too tight!

Posted by Sagebrush Dan on 03-17-08 at 11:47 PM
Priscilla looked ghastly.

Posted by Snidget on 03-18-08 at 05:18 AM
All I was reminded of when I looked at her was that Jocelyn Wildenstein chick that at least I think actually wants to look like a cat-human hybrid

Posted by CTgirl on 03-18-08 at 07:58 AM
OMH, that link was great. Michael Jackson with facial hair - scary!

Posted by catsnotkids on 03-18-08 at 09:50 AM
I thought she looked terrified as well.

Posted by MKitty on 03-18-08 at 12:31 PM
I thought MOnica was really harsh looking...very masculine. And yes, Pricilla, yikes...quite tight. Hoping she won't crack her face if she smiles

Can't wait to see the Broadway actress kick butt on the dance floor (at least I hope she does!)

Posted by Karchita on 03-18-08 at 02:39 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-18-08 AT 02:41 PM (EST)

I also want her to kick butt and see the pounds melt away.

I hope she is fun and lively and doesn't go into the obnoxious terrian.

I have to disagree about Monica, though. She clearly wasn't fitting in, but to me she looked like a serious professional athlete who knows how to compete but doesn't know how to entertain. She looks like she is bringing the exact opposite tool kit to the show than the Broadway gal. (ie. athleticism and charm)

Edited to remove siggie,
It's dangerous terrain. Take it from one who's been there.

"Overall Thoughts"
Posted by CattyChat on 03-18-08 at 08:16 AM
LAST EDITED ON 03-18-08 AT 08:17 AM (EST)

Well, even before the men took the dance floor, it is obvious that the deck is stacked for a woman to win this season. It couldn't be more obvious that they want & hope for a female winner.

Not at all surprising, Mario has all the moves and right pedigree to easily learn the moves. Football guy, not surprisingly, also has potential and a very pretty face.

Not at all surprising are the clunkers -- personality & 2 left feet: Penn, Adam & Steve.

Then there's the "he's Latin so he should have dance in him" Christian. I thought he was hot until I saw his vid clip and dancing. Loved the air force pilot thing, but he does nothing for me. I felt sorry for him, though, as I felt the judges were harsher on him than the others. Just because he's Latin doesn't mean he's a "natural dancer."

I couldn't fight the temptation and I was compelled to vote for the funny last night. 3 votes Penn & 3 votes Adam. They are witty and entertaining and I always like to see how people without natural dancing abilities improve with training and drive. I hope they stick it out for a little while to make me laugh.

Steve was surprisingly blah. I thought he would be funnier.
Mario is a ringer, so he doesn't need my votes and won't get them.
I really like football guy & he'll have tons of support.
Christian was surprisingly not appealing to me.

Bring on the ladies. My early faves are Kristy, Marlee & Shannon. They all look like they will blow away the guys, except I don't know about Priscilla. She looks a bit stiff from all the "enhancements." I'll withhold judgment until I see her vid clip & first dance.

Edited to remove sig. Oops!

"RE: Overall Thoughts"
Posted by mindy23 on 03-18-08 at 09:28 AM
Have to agree, at least 99%, and the 1% has temporarily left the building...too early this morning.

I, too, was disappointed in Steve G. I actually thought I'd seen him dance in a movie once, and he was exceptionally graceful. I have loved the movies I've seen him in. Last night, he just seemed really nervous and dorky. Happens to the best of us when we get older, especially when we're penned with a group of 20 and 30-somethings! Poor guy. I do hope he lasts longer than some of the clumsier ones.

I agree that Penn, and Adam should have at least ONE more week to step it up. So, maybe a woman will really blow it this time. Julianne's popularity may keep Adam around for at least a few more weeks. I think that Cheryl is the reason Wayne stayed as long as he did.

In the meantime, my DVR will be working overtime tonight between American Idol and DWTS! How dare they do this to us??? Then what? The cast offs on Wednesday night, along with a few other reality shows? There are only so many things you can record, people!!! Oh well.....

Posted by catsnotkids on 03-18-08 at 09:52 AM
Not to mention tonight is Big Brother and Biggest Loser!! What to watch?

Posted by Snidget on 03-18-08 at 09:58 AM
Try Thursday night a 9 pm for me.

Reaper is back (will end up watching it live on little TV) Why they had to move it to this time...grrrr.

Lost is being DVRed
Celebrity Apprentice, luckily, gets replayed so it is being ignored until then

The biggest problem (usually I can handle the 3 at a time) is that it is the Figure Skating World Championships which is also being DVRed.

Luckily it looks like Celeb. App. will be done before CSI starts up again.

I can't figure out why they have to put all the shows I like on at the same darn time. Especially when there are plenty of other times where I've got nothing to watch.