URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID85
Thread Number: 452
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Episode 1 Thoughts"

Posted by Wacko Jacko on 07-19-06 at 02:23 PM
Both fights were great especially the second one.

One thing I found funny was that Michael Clark was talking smack about the guy from Detroit. But have any of you noticed that Michael Clark fights out of the Kronk gym in Detroit. Something tells me he knew more about K9 then the show lead us to believe.

As for the outcomes. While I enjoyed the fights, I could not help but think that the two losers would be better for the Contender Long-term circuit. Bravo is 35 and had a poor professional record. Even if he wins the Tourney he will not be on top of his game for long as you can expect him to decline the closer he gets to 40. The other guy Bravo fought...name slips my mind at the moment was a young fighter who definitely showed a lot of skills...to see him leave so early is bad for the long term success of the show. Also, Michael Clark had some nice personality and a much better track record than K9. I am from Detroit and they had an article about K9 in the paper....his record is misleading because the paper talked more about his flaws than skills. But I am routing for K9.

Changes in the show...and comments.
1) No Sly.....I miss him.
2) Less family moments. Last season the family members were shown more in the home. This year only a few minutes before the fight. I miss the emotion the family moments brought to the show.
3) Seems the fights are even more edited than last season. There were rounds that lasted less than 30 seconds last night.
4) No skills challenges. The way they have changed this is much better. More strategy involved.
5) Fighters from last season...was a good move. Get the feeling they are pushing Gomez.
6) Too much foreshadowing who was going to win the fights. Last season they would show each guy in the same light for the most part. This season by the editing I could tell that both K9 and Bravo were going to win. I hope they do not continue to give away the winners before the fights in coming weeks like they did last night.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Episode 1 Thoughts"
Posted by PagongRatEater on 07-19-06 at 08:43 PM
I agree with all your comments about the fights. Cisneros was frickin' NAILS and I could see him having a future in the fight game although it may have to be at a different weight class. Bravo fought an incredible fight and sorta reminds me of a less obnoxious Bonsante with the whole family thing. He won't win the whole thing, but he will provide a great story line and that's what Burnett likes.

K-9 pulled out a close one and almost managed to lose a fight that he had well in hand. I think in a longer fight he probably would have lost to Clark, but it was also an entertaining fight.

What I REALLY like about this show is that - with very few exceptions - the show is not all that different from last season. Minor changes actually seem to help the show flow a little more smoothly and I like eliminating the challenges since it gives a bit more time to develop the characters and get to know the boxers. I think we will see more of this in the coming weeks, after we get to know the fighters a little better. It also seems that they have done a great job casting this season.

Most importantly though, I just forgot how much I frickin LVOE this show. It is great drama, great TV and I am so glad to have it back!

But, the four of us had a great time.

Posted by Haggisdog on 07-19-06 at 10:58 PM
Definitely a great start to the series. Like PRat said the absence of the challenges helps the flow of the show and, frankly, I could never figure out why there were challenges since they didn't really do much for the team that won.

I hope Bravo gets through a few more fights, he's definitely a great human interest story with the family angle. I really liked K9, he seemed like a decent guy and he seemed honestly perplexed by Clark's animosity. I have to say it was pretty heart warming to see Clark talking about his adoptive father as his Dad and to see the genuine love that his father had for him.

K9 does have a 'stand-up style' which will probably get him in trouble when the competition heats up, although for some reason those guys have a lot of power when they punch.

The thing that really burns me up though is WHY ISN'T THE MAIN EVENT IN LAS VEGAS?!?!? Who wants to go to Las Angeles to watch the fight? And I can't even find tickets and its not even on the events list at Staples Center???

Posted by NewFan on 07-20-06 at 09:24 AM
I didn't realize there were going to be 2 fights and turned it off after K-9 won! Are they re-running episodes a la "Project Runway"?

I'm not an expert or anything, but I've watched a lot of boxing. What was up with Clark's style? This was sure made out to be a one-sided affair, but all he threw were haymakers! And his show-boating made me gag. I'm glad he lost. And I would have cried like a baby too after running my mouth and show-boating, then getting knocked down. I'm rooting for K-9.

Posted by Wacko Jacko on 07-20-06 at 09:59 AM
They reran the episodes last night so check your tv guide.

Posted by PagongRatEater on 07-20-06 at 10:19 AM
LAST EDITED ON 07-20-06 AT 10:22 AM (EST)

They continue to re-run it (my Tivo keeps recording it!), so just ckeck out ESPN's schedule.

I think that this was just a week one thing, to kick things off and thin out the field.

Posted by ARnutz on 07-21-06 at 09:59 AM
LAST EDITED ON 07-21-06 AT 10:06 AM (EST)

According to Yahoo!TV... ESPN will show 2 hours of Contender at 2pm & 3pm (Eastern) today. ETA: according to ESPNTV it will be 1pm & 2pm It is also running on ESPN2 at 7pm & 8pm tonight. There are no program descriptions given, but I'm guessing they will be reruns of this week's episodes.

"RE: Episode 2 Thoughts"
Posted by NewFan on 07-25-06 at 08:56 AM
Okay, I finally caught the 2nd fight. Now that was a good fight! Great style, lots of action, and Bravo's uppercut is awesome!

Posted by nogood360 on 07-25-06 at 05:48 PM
What up Peeps! I'm new to the board, but this show got me so hype, I had to post my comments. K-9 did everybody a favor by shutting that fool up. I'm a fan of trash talking, but Clark for some reason was getting on my nerves. All in all, the first two fights were entertaining. Looking forward for things to come.

Posted by justcurlz on 07-29-06 at 01:55 PM
Ok, ive been meaning to ask this , since a friend an i were talking about K-9, an how he looked in the ring before his fight, my friend seems to thing K-9 was acting or coming across as if he didnt know how to fight or what to do. as if he was playing them..
i dont think hes that type of fighter but then ya never know.
what do ya'll think?

"Good Comments!"
Posted by the_sweet_science on 07-29-06 at 10:44 PM
LAST EDITED ON 07-29-06 AT 10:45 PM (EST)

I agree that both fight were exciting and I would like to see them in their entirety.

The Kronk gym is legendary and has had some of the best fighters in the world train there, and currently world champions train there. I think any fighter would love to train there and who knows, maybe Clark did have some extra "intelligence" on K9 but in the end it did him no good!

I wondered why the show would make K9 look like a poor fighter when in reality he is not that bad a fighter. His style can be a little open, but he is a strong fighter at welterweight. Personally, I suspected he was purposely looking bad in sparring, because he wanted to fight Clark equally as bad, and Clark was a world champion at one time, so he is no slouch. And for all we know it may have been the other way around, maybe K9 had some intelligence on Clark because he seemed to be able to land the one-two pretty frequently, and of course as we know K9 dropped him with a straight right-hand.

Has anyone seen K9's fight against Sechew Powell? Now that was something else! K9 got his tail knocked out but it could have gone either way (Sechew Powell is one of the young upcoming stars of boxing). Both fighters landed their first punch of the fight at the same time and knocked each other down, when they got up, K9 got hit once more and went bye-bye, several times actually as he got up and fell about 3 or 4 times! But as I said it could have ended up either way. The fight lasted 22 seconds. Try to find it if you can, it was crazy to watch!

I think the show is about the underdog, and it also is for some of the individuals their "last shot" so to speak. From what I saw in the ring, Bravo has some serious heart, and heart will win you fights. He even impressed Sugar Ray!

* I'm actually glad that Sly is gone because it takes the "Hollywood" image away from the show. Plus, we NEED Rocky 6!

* I think thwey show less family moments because they want the show to focus more on the boxing aspects of the show, although I still expect the family moments to be a big part of the show.

* I never liked edited fights, but I guess that's just how the show works. I thought ESPN would show much more of the fights.

* I thought the challenges were a ridiculous idea! These guys are boxers, and they are fighting for a big prize, and you want to put them in positions where they can get injured before fights?

* I guess some fighters from last season are so popular that they would need to associate them with the second season. I guarantee you will not be seeing Ishe or Manfredo Jr. there though!

* The foreshadowing I thought for the K9 fight was very blatant all throughout the show! Never the less, the scores of those fights were all extremely close.

That is one thing I have loved so far about this season. These guys are all so closely matched, and we have not seen one unanimous decision yet! That makes for damn good fights, and of course...controversy!

"RE: Good Comments!"
Posted by PagongRatEater on 07-30-06 at 06:00 PM
Just FYI, Manfredo was at both of the first two fights. I'm not sure if he'll do anything with the show, but there's no question that its helped his career regardless of if he thinks he was robbed against Mora (which he was).