URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID33
Thread Number: 445
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Aggressive pop-ups"

Posted by Jims02 on 04-27-11 at 11:11 PM
I realize that the advertisements pay for the site and everything, but is there a way to reduce some of "aggressive" pop-ups I've been getting lately for this site?

Lately, there's been an iPad2 pop-up that's been crashing my sessions. It tells you you're a winner, you click cancel/OK, and the same dialogue window opens again. Some of the other pop-ups are annoying in this regard too, but at least those windows close when you select them. Having to open your Task Manager when you visit RTVW.com is a little frustrating.

Is anyone else getting this same pop-up?

A 2003 IceCat original

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Aggressive pop-ups"
Posted by Starshine on 04-28-11 at 05:11 AM
I'm getting the same but with some "work at home and earn £5k a week" rubbish.

In the end I had to turn off popups.

Lovely cheese Mooney

Just another Sleeperbloke

Posted by grit on 04-28-11 at 06:40 AM
I found that if I X out of it before the popup has a chance to fully load, it closes no problem. If I wait too long and the page loads, I can't close it at all except with Task Manager and sometimes it ends up closing RTVW as well. I never close a popup by clicking OK or cancel - always the X button in case it's a virus.

I just found out this morning, though, that Google Chrome allowed me to X out the popup without causing my browser to freeze. I had a lot more trouble with Internet Explorer. But I do agree with you, I know they gotta pay bills around here but this popup is too aggressive.

Chocolately deliciousness by agman

Posted by dabo on 04-28-11 at 10:08 AM
Very annoying ad. Invasive, claims you are a special winner from where you are because it happens to be right now. Puts its own programmed pop-up within the pop-up that won't go away the first time you click the go away, click the x and it continues the ad as if you agreed to something which you didn't. There ought to be a standard which allows a site to block an ad from appearing on the site if the ad proves to be too troublesome for site users, causes a decline in site traffic on which advertising revenues are based, contains invasive or incompatible programming, insults the intelligence of pretty much everyone in the universe (even possibly "birthers"), something. And the site owner should have the right to tell the ad jokers to quit effing around, quit assuming they can load just any kind of crap into the ads they develop.

"My solution."
Posted by Max Headroom on 04-28-11 at 11:40 AM
The pop-ups only load the first time you access RTVW. My secret is to keep my browser window open continuously, opening and closing tabs as needed, but never closing the browser entirely. As long as you don't open a brand-new browser window, you avoid the annoying pop-ups after they appear the first time.

Posted by zazzy on 04-28-11 at 02:03 PM
I came to post about the same thing.

It's the prize-survey popup that tells you that you are a winner of an ipad 2.

When you click to get rid of it another pop up opens and neither will close when you click the red X in the upper RH corner.

I've opened Windows task manager to get rid of it that way, and selecting "end task" for this aggressive pop up makes the whole browser crash.

So today I am just opening up other windows, but the pop up lurks there, open and annoying, in the list of open windows.

I have McAfee, and am on a new computer with the latest versions of windows, etc.

Can RTVW get rid of this one? The pop-ups should not be crashing your system!It makes me think they could be trying to give my system a virus. Ugh.

Posted by zazzy on 04-28-11 at 02:09 PM
Here's the address that the ad shows:

http://www.prizes-survey.com/v/promo/us/survey.php

Posted by cahaya on 04-30-11 at 02:40 PM
Four f'in' confusedly worded clicks to exit the damned page?!

And if you try to use task manager to kill it, it kills the RTVW page along with it.

There should be a site policy for all ads to be able to be exited in a single click or cease displaying them.

Posted by Starshine on 04-30-11 at 03:54 PM
Firefox upgraded and the ad blocked stopped working.

This is damned annoying

"A solution"
Posted by cahaya on 04-30-11 at 06:31 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-09-11 AT 12:20 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 04-30-11 AT 08:34 PM (EST)

I had the same problem.

It turns out the troublesome sites aren't popups but instead a new page request. Once you're into it, it uses new window scripts that ad block won't block. It also uses several different URL's.

To solve this, I downloaded the BlockSite add-on for Firefox.

Download: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/blocksite/

Then you enter those addresses you want blocked (these are the ones that I have encountered so far).

Block:

www.prizes-survey.com
www.nationalsurveyboard.com
www.gift-reward.net
prizes-survey.com
nationalsurveyboard.com
gift-reward.net

www.consumernewsonline.org
consumernewsonline.org

www.media.fastclick.net
media.fastclick.net

http://a.tribalfusion.com

So far, so good, although I expect I might have to add another address or two that hasn't popped up yet. I'll be editing this post to add these until a full list gets put together.

"Dear Webby"
Posted by dabo on 04-30-11 at 08:31 PM
Reject/kill this ad and inform advertisers that all future ads which are detrimental to site traffic will likewise be rejected/killed. They kill site traffic flows, they must in turn themselves be killed, it is simple Darwinism.

"RE: Dear Webby"
Posted by zazzy on 05-01-11 at 07:41 PM
Saw that this ^^ post was your 21,000th! WTG and congrats!

"RE: A solution"
Posted by mrc on 05-24-11 at 12:51 PM
Thanks for this. It solved my problem after nearly eight years of frustration.

Posted by zazzy on 05-02-11 at 10:02 PM
The problem is still happening.

Does anyone from RTVW ever answer this section?

I'm tired of my browser crashes from this.

Please help, RTVW! Talk to your advertisers, please!

Posted by dabo on 05-02-11 at 11:04 PM
TY

Mr. Webby, tear down this ad!

Honestly, annoying is one thing, but when ads are detrimental to the site that should be addressed.

Posted by grit on 05-02-11 at 11:06 PM
I use Google Chrome on my netbook and the problem is not nearly as bad as when I use Internet Explorer on my desktop. The boxes can be X'ed out without crashing my browser. The only way I can prevent IE from crashing is by X'ing out the tab as soon as it opens up but before the site is allowed to load.

Chocolately deliciousness by agman

Posted by cahaya on 05-02-11 at 11:39 PM
Again, I recommend using Firefox and the BlockSite add-on. It works quite nicely. No muss, no fuss.

I'm not sure what there is for IE, a notorious browser since its inception. I use Chrome at work, but there I have the protection of organization-wide firewalls.

Posted by udg on 05-23-11 at 03:16 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-23-11 AT 03:17 PM (EST)

>Lately, there's been an iPad2 pop-up
>that's been crashing my sessions.
> It tells you you're
>a winner, you click cancel/OK,
>and the same dialogue window
>opens again.

Don't click cancel or OK. Click the X on that window instead. Then, you can close the main ad.

Slice
n' Dice's Sigpic Chop Shop 2004

Posted by qwertypie on 06-12-11 at 09:58 AM
LAST EDITED ON 06-12-11 AT 09:59 AM (EST)

Yep, I do that and I still get a bunch more pop ups. I was actually on my way here to post the same thing, but Jims already beat me to it. Thanks Jims!

ETA I can't recommend the site to several of my friends who are Bachelorette addicts (yeah, I know I have to get a better class of friends) because of this.

Posted by mrc on 06-13-11 at 12:15 PM
Cahaya's suggestion worked for me.

Posted by vince3 on 06-12-11 at 01:40 AM
Can someone tell the Living Social ad people... I DON'T WANT ANY!

Posted by tribephyl on 06-13-11 at 06:48 PM
Hallelujah, brother.
No more LivingSocial.
This place alone is about as social as I wanna be.

Posted by Scarlett O Hara on 08-31-11 at 05:49 PM
Webby-

What can be done about these extremely annoying pop-ups? You must do something about them - each time we log in, there they are. You have so much unwanted junk on this site, I'm fearful of catching computer viruses here.

PLEASE ... DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS!! We are sick of it!

Yours truly,

Scarlett

Posted by joker on 09-05-11 at 09:31 PM
I wonder if webby is thinking "frankly Scarlet, I don't give a damn?" lol

"CONCUR!"
Posted by dabo on 09-06-11 at 03:31 PM
LAST EDITED ON 09-06-11 AT 03:32 PM (EST)

Honestly, I understand that ad revenue is lifeblood, but these things are getting to the point where they disrupt traffic trying to get to the site, it is damn annoying.