URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID33
Thread Number: 444
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"email spam"

Posted by jbug on 04-20-11 at 03:25 PM
Is there any way to get rid of spam email - other than emptying the spam folder every day?

It's an AOL account.
I must have used my good email for something at some time somewhere that shares or sells the addresses they get cause I get about 20 or more every day. Most go right to the spam folder, but I hate having to look thru the list to make sure something that is not spam is not in there before I delete them all.

I have tried opening them and clicking on the links that say to remove you from their email, but not sure if that works or just verifies that they have indeed gotten thru to a real account.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: email spam"
Posted by Snidget on 04-20-11 at 03:31 PM
Usually that just verifies it is a working address.

Posted by Max Headroom on 04-20-11 at 04:03 PM
Which greatly increases your incoming volume of spam.

Posted by jbug on 04-20-11 at 04:39 PM
I know!!!!
so how do I stop them????

Posted by dabo on 04-20-11 at 04:53 PM
I've been getting a ton of the stuff recently as well.

Posted by Snidget on 04-20-11 at 06:16 PM
About all you can do is let the spam filter catch things, and use any report spam button for things that get through to the regular email.

There isn't a good way to get off the list that I know of. There are additional software you can use so every email has to be verified as human separately before it is sent to you, but that can block a lot of email you want.

From what I can tell a good percentage of email doesn't even make it to the spam folder, and I dunno if your email has settings where you can make it tougher or not and usually that only makes more or less go into the folder, not stop it from you ever seeing it at all.

For the most part I do a quick scan, but I often delete without looking. However if I do something with a site that sends something automatically I'll check if it doesn't show up (like resend a password, or something like that). But I assume it is spam unless I really recognize the email address it was sent from.