URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID33
Thread Number: 441
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Using a public wireless connection"

Posted by moonbaby on 04-01-11 at 12:03 PM
Wondering if anyone can give a simplified answer to how I can use a public wireless connection. My desktop computer fried the other morning when I hit the power switch instead of the modem switch so I borrowed a netbook from a friend, which works great from home with the wired connection to my DSL service.

I was able to use hospital-provided wireless briefly yesterday and then it just kind of disconnected. This morning I wasn't able to use it at all. It's one of those sites where you have to accept their terms before it allows you in. That page came up just the one time and worked ok and now it doesn't at all. I ran a diagnotic thing and it says I'm connected but that I don't have internet access.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? It's an HP netbook running windows 7, something I have not used before.

Thanks very much,
moon

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Using a public wireless connection"
Posted by dabo on 04-01-11 at 01:43 PM
The internet access message could indicate a problem with Messenger, possibly just temporary. Find an unsecure network, see how that works. Or find out who maintains the secure network to find out from them if you can be added as a user. They may be blocking you just because they can.

"It's working again"
Posted by moonbaby on 04-01-11 at 08:54 PM
I changed it from connecting automatically to manually. I don't know if that helped or it's just hinkey.

Thanks!

"RE: It's working again"
Posted by Snidget on 04-03-11 at 09:55 PM
Perhaps this was the problem.