URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID1
Thread Number: 4335
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Love/Loathe List S27 Blood/Water Ep. 1"

Posted by Aruba on 09-19-13 at 08:12 PM
Even though Loved Ones are competing against each other, this list will still include the players as couples like I did for my preseason list for two reasons: 1) Not enough time in the Premier to get a decent knowledge of all 20 castaways, 2) Crazy week and I'm pressed for time, so just wanted to get this list out to get a feel if they'll be any interest this season. Prior list(s) rankings in parenthesis.

1) TYSON/GIRLFRIEND (3) - Major props for starting the fire. Tyson appears to be one of the few (along with Gervase and Aras' brother Vytas) who is far more focused on "playing" the game over "experiencing" Survivor with a loved one. That could mean the difference between going deep in the game or possibly getting "Rupperted" off the island. Kudos to Tyson (and Gervase) for sitting to the side and NOT responding to Colton's tearful plea for sympathy. Oh, and his gal is pretty nice to look at too.

2) KAT/HAYEN (2) - LOVE how Kat wouldn't take any crap from Colton in the canoe--let's hope her sassiness is reserved only for Colton. Maybe it's just me, but by Hayden's expressions and demeanor he's not buying into Culpepper's macho-male alliance. But Hayden's a savvy enough game player to know that to get along you have to go along. Being able to hold his tongue could be the reason he may last longer than Kat.

3) ARAS/VYTAS (4) - Clearly Vytas' relation to Aras will pose no problem in the game... if anything I sense a great deal of resentment and jealousy. It could put him in the best position this season. A pitfall I see for him is maybe playing too hard too soon. As for Aras...he showed good lifeguarding skills in the IC.

4) TINA/DAUGHTER (6) - Tina (along with her puzzle-solving partners) was the MVP in the first challenge of the season. Unfortunately for Tadhana, her daughter Katie did not inherit Mom's puzzle-solving skills. Fortunately for us viewers, she did not inherit Tina's stick figure either. Katie will be nice to look at in a bikini.

5) LAURA/DAUGHTER (7) - I have them in the top half because of Laura's performance in the IC as well. Also for Ciera sharing with us the reason why Laura is such a hot looking grandma that she felt inclined to repeatedly reference in her first season. By getting knock-up in High School, mommy/grandma's still young enough to look good.

6) GERVASE/NIECE (1) - Big drop for Gervase's ridiculous post-IC celebration. Maybe he was just happy he didn't need mouth-to-mouth after being dragged into the canoe? Whether it was the sole reason for Marissa getting voted off or just a cop out excuse for Tadhana--we'll never know for sure. In any event, I thought Marissa handled herself very well at TC considering. The preview of the Redemption Island face-off definitely does not favor Ruppert. So Marissa is my odds on favorite to win herself back into the game against an overworked Candace.

7) MONICA/"CULPEPPER" (5) - Would it be a safe assumption to say "Culpepper" got his bell rung one too many times during his playing days in the NFL??? The NFL must be thanking their lucky stars this Premier wasn't aired last month, because after Brad's painful explanation of how five is greater than four, the settlement for the concussion suit could have easily exceeded one billion dollars instead of the $765M awarded a few weeks ago. I'm hoping Monica doesn't wonder too long if "zebras change their stripes." They don't...or as this write has said repeatedly..."You are, who you are, who you are."

8) CANDACE/HUBBY? (8) - If Ruppert wants to lazily save himself for the challenge, why would Candace work like gangbusters at a camp where she's only staying for one day? DUH??? The real reason they are ranked low is because of John. I can understand an effeminate young man with the maturity level of an 8-year old who has a sweater tied around his neck even though he's on a 100 degree island in the Philippines wailing uncontrollably in front of others. But for a 30-year old male doctor to weep like a little schoolgirl??? This dude needs to man up or move out.

9) RUPPERT/LAURA (9) - Play with emotion--throw your game in the ocean! Ruppert's decision to take Laura's place was dumb on many levels. 1) He puts himself at risk on Redemption Island. Unless it's a weigh lifting competition, I don't see him staying in the game, 2) he weakens his Galang tribe, and 3) he's not really doing his bride any favors. Laura's the outcast on a tribe of returning Survivors and unless Galang can rattle off a few early IC wins, this duo could be the first pair eliminated.

10) COLTON/CALEB (10) - Can't imagine Colton and his mate ever rising from last position on this list. Caleb seems like an OK person, which makes you wonder why he would ever consider a future with someone as pathetic as Colton. Also, Caleb's struggle with the puzzle is another reason to keep them down here. I don't think even a gift HII will help the future husband & husband in this game.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Love/Loathe List S27 Blood/Water Ep. 1"
Posted by dabo on 09-20-13 at 01:31 AM
1. "Culpepper". I can't believe this idiot is a lawyer. Ex-NFL sure, brain damage is so lubbable.

2. Caleb. What he sees in Colton, well he can maybe trade up.

3. Gervase. That's how you do it. Yeah, get rid of your loved one early, less to think about.

4. Marissa. Likeable kid, shame her uncle did her in. Seriously.

5. Monica.

6. Kat.

7. Candice. Hysterical.

8. Vytas.

9. Ciera.

10. Laura M.

11. Laura B.

12. John. Oh, grow a pair.

13. Tina.

14. Katie.

15. Hayden.

16. Aras.

17 Tyson.

18. Rachel

19. Rupert. Bored already.

20. Colton.

99,999,999. Probst.

Posted by SpotTheDifference on 09-20-13 at 07:20 AM
The producers are really milking the emotional cow this season, aren't they? From Rupert's tearful exit from his tribe to take his wife's place in RI, to Vytas' and Ciera's life stories, to Colton's fire-lit story, to John crying two seconds after every time Candice's is mentioned, this was an episode only a sappy, telenovela-watching Filipino could love.

As for the rankings, there really wasn't a lot to go with. Putting Caleb at the top for being a seemingly decent person even with Colton as a fiance, and Gervase at the bottom for not learning to swim between Borneo and now, and then getting his niece voted out by gloating after a horrible challenge performance.

1. Caleb

2. Monica

3. Laura M.

4. Tina

5. Tyson

6. Brad

7. Candice

8. Marissa

9. Vytas

10. Ciera

11. John

12. Laura B.

13. Katie

14. Kat

15. Hayden

16. Aras

17. Rachel

18. Rupert

19. Colton

20. Gervase

Posted by michel on 09-20-13 at 09:10 PM
I'll have a list later but I just wanted to point something out: If RI works like before, Candice or anyone else wouldn't be returning after one win but only at the merge.

As for the sappiness that Spot noted, I think it was about time we got that much character development. Felt old school the way Probst presented everyone at the start and how little strategy talk there was in 90 minutes.

Posted by dabo on 09-20-13 at 11:39 PM
Felt old school the way Probst presented everyone at the start and how little strategy talk there was in 90 minutes.

Begrudgingly agree. Despite all the idiotic game-wrecking twists, the whole loved one element does add a dimension of humanity to things, kind of reminiscent of the way things used to be in the early days.

On the other hand, Colton sobbing about how tough he's had it IRL, that seemed like playing for sympathy. In the good old days people could talk about things like that without getting all teary and needing a hug.

Posted by Aruba on 09-21-13 at 06:14 AM
"If RI works like before, Candice or anyone else wouldn't be returning after one win but only at the merge."

If you are right then it would make sense that Candice was treating Redemption Island like her "home away from home." But I'm fairly certain Candice said something to the effect of winning the RI challenge to get back at everyone who voted for her. If she doesn't get back into the game until the merge, then how does she know those who voted for her are still in the game?
And at the merge the game dynamics change to where it becomes more of every Survivor for themselves and less of who can I/we target WITHIN the tribe. I don't know...perhaps I'm guilty of overanalyzing. We shall see.

"As for the sappiness that Spot noted, I think it was about time we got that much character development."

Due to the Loved Ones format, character development becomes more essential to understand the relationships the duos have as opposed to just 20 strangers getting dropped on an island to start the game. But even so, I thought a decent amount of strategy was shown for a season Premier.

I agree wholeheartedly with dabo...Colton getting all hysterical at the campfire was 100% strategic to garnish sympathy from his tribe. And everyone with the exception of Tyson and Gervase appeared to bite on the bait real hard.

I am not viewing Vytas telling his tribe mates about being an ex-con and ex-junkie as "character development." He flat out told us in a confessional that it was strategically mentioned to earn the trust of the other players. Although Ciera did not specifically mention the same in a confessional, I'm certain her sharing her past of getting knocked-up in High School was for the same reason.

Then we have Culpepper's formation of the all-male Tadhana alliance. And Vytas reaching out to the Tadhana women before TC to setup the blindside.

Perhaps it's just me, but I thought quite a bit of strategy was played for a Season Premier.

Posted by Estee on 09-21-13 at 07:41 AM
If she doesn't get back into the game until the merge, then how does she know those who voted for her are still in the game?

Because unless Jiffie decides to do a double entrance and splits the ousted up to a pair of RIs, everyone voted out comes through the same site. As long as Candice keeps winning challenges and stays in place, she'll know everyone who was voted out, the order, and possibly even which tribe if it happens post-shuffle: they just have to open their mouths.

RI provides a lot of information -- but much of it is secondhand.

"My List"
Posted by michel on 09-23-13 at 06:25 PM
I just realized that this is in Bashers instead of Fanatics. Most seasons, I do hate most of the cast but this premiere gave us quite a few interesting characters.

1- Vytas: The recovering addict has drawn comparisons to 3 Lost characters: Charlie obviously but also Ben and the Man in Black. Not bad for 1 episode. I really enjoyed the way he drew everyone in to get their trust, especially considering he has multiple alliances. You need people to trust you if you plan on back stabbing them. 1 Down, 17 to go.

2- Tina: After the travesty of the first A$$, I think we are finally going to see Tina at work. She's the absolute master of the social game and this seasons will be more of a social game than ever before.

3- Tyson: He could be one of the very best players ever...if he wants. With Tyson, it all depends on his mood. He busted his game in Tocantins because he fell in love with his own Villain character. If he plays to win instead of playing to get confessionals; watch out. Making fire in 15 minutes is an excellent start and Galang needs his muscles.

4- Laura Morrett: For someone that didn't want to see her daughter suffer, she certainly wasn't holding back during the puzzle. Galang's narrator knows how to play this game: She built her Galu alliance around "good people" just like Tina in the Outback. Those two are made for each other. I'm not sure she knows that, for Tina, it was only pretense!

5- Caleb: The guy has his head in the game and it doesn't seem anyone is thinking of booting him because they hate Colton. Going along for now is good but he will have to make a move at some point.

6- Aras: He is so easy-going that his misplaced comments are easily forgotten. He showed he's still the same team player so that should get him in the right alliance. His sibling rivalry could be the story of the season.

7- Katie: I was hoping for a little more from her but she survived that first hurdle. Will she have the "first-on-the-block to winner" story that Chris had? It's still too early to tell. For now, I hope she does something about Brad's lack of subtlety. I could see her telling her mom about it and Tina would have no hesitations in sending Monica to RI to knock out Brad.

8- John: Since Candice wouldn't have been welcomed in Tadhana, John did the right thing by staying in the game. I also liked the fact that he isn't really on board with Brad's all-male alliance. It should make for interesting moves.

9- Hayden: Once more, a brigade-type alliance formed without Hayden having to do a thing. Some players are simply lucky like that but he had the good sense to listen more than talk. I guess he's used to that with Kat!

10- Gervase: Maybe some found him dumb but Gervase made me laugh with his outrageous demonstration. This guy tried to win this game using charm alone. It got him pretty far. I think he figured that charm doesn't work until he's facing the jury and that being a little less charming could get him further. Not sure that's the lesson of 26 seasons but good luck with that.

11- Cierra: I liked the fact that she didn't hesitate and stepped up to do the puzzle. Like the other women of Tadhana, she will have to find a way to break-up the guys' alliance.

12- Kat: I liked her determination to beat Hayden, claiming that this was her game. Now I hope we get to see how she plans to do it.

13- Rachel: She's cute, she is connected to Vytas and she says she can play this game on her own. I'll give her a chance to show she can do it.

This is pretty much where the list shifts to those I didn't like:

14- Monica: I think she focuses on Colton too much. Brad's words could hurt her more than him. Galang knows he will do anything for her so why not send her to RI and force his hand? It doesn't seem like Monica even thought of that. Her "ammo" could explode in her own hands.

15- Laura B.: She's this low mostly because she thought the votes were out of fear for the Bonehams! Tadhana took one look at her and realized she'd be useless. Galang will want to keep her as long as Rupert stays alive so the stupid RI twist is still working in her favor.

16- Brad: He thinks he has a solid 5-person alliance so he feels safe. He doesn't realize that the alliance is shaky at best and that Galang has a way to get to him by their own votes. Is there any doubts that he would trade places with Monica if she goes to RI?

17- Colton: I tried to give him a chance but seeing him crying again was more than I could handle. Unfortunately, the editors will spend too much time on his story. When Jeff mentioned his "mysterious illness" I took it to mean that there was nothing really wrong with Colton in "One World" so maybe he will do us a favor and quit once more.

Exiled on RI:

Since these players have one foot out the door, I can't rate them with the others but I will make a list just for them:

1- Candice: I thought it was obvious that she'd be the first one voted out. No one will ever trust her after her mutiny and her flip to Russell. Too bad because she is smart, beautiful and, compared to most of the young women that go on Survivor, she isn't afraid of making moves.

2- Marissa: Jeff said it was devastating to be voted out because of what her uncle did. Of course, he couldn't say that he was sorry for coming up with such a stupid twist.

3- Poopert: I think his 4th game will end in tears just like Russell. That would be funny considering those two are polar opposites.

Ils sont fous, ces Romains!

"RE: My List"
Posted by Aruba on 09-24-13 at 07:38 AM
As shocking as this may seem...I am generally in agreement with your list so far. Note the emphasis on "so far." HaHa

Yes this list is posted in Bashers. Are there really any fanatics left??? The fact that the Fanatics Forum hasn't had a post in over two weeks should answer that question. Thanks a lot, Production!

Just a noteworthy comment on the following:

"17- Colton: ...When Jeff mentioned his "mysterious illness" I took it to mean that there was nothing really wrong with Colton in "One World" so maybe he will do us a favor and quit once more."

My thoughts EXACTLY. Which is why it would be super smart for Tadhana to send Caleb to RI. I do not believe Colton would trade places with him. I also do not envision Caleb winning a RI face-off. And with his "fiancée" going bye-bye...guess who'll develop another "mysterious illness."

This could be a classic "two for oner!"

Posted by personofinterest on 09-24-13 at 03:21 PM
Here we go again. I anticipate that this list will change dramatically over the coming weeks.

1. Vytas: I work with folks in recovery from addictions. Disclosure is always a strategy whether in real life or on Survivor.

2. Tina: Ranking her this high may not last long, but she certainly seems more with it than she did in "all stars" and I did like her way back in Australia.

3. Monica: I had hope for her in One World and am still hoping.

4. Ciera: So far, I like her. Not sure why yet.

5. Marissa: Dang. I had her in my top six (well, if I had done a PTTE).

6. Caleb: So far, I am not holding has choice of partner against him. He seems so normal!

7. Hayden: His hair is holding up well. I actually think he may do OK at this game too.

8. Brad: He is good for some laughs. And possibly as the concussion poster child. Although, in real life, he apparently helped negotiate the billions of dollars in settlement from the NFL for injured players, so props to him.

9. Gervase: Ha! I am so hoping that when he goes it is with some good trash talking. I get a kick out of him, though.

10. Kat: Her "Oh, hell no." to Colton in the boat was great.

11. Laura M: Great at the puzzle.

12. Laura B: Ditch the tie dye and you may move up!

13. Tyson: Low key this episode, but great on the fire making.

14. Rachel: A little too quiet to get much on her.

15. Aras: Also lower key than I thought he would be. Pretty!

16. John: Would be higher up the list without the tears. Let's blame jet lag for that, OK?

17. Candice: Her snarl keeps her low in my rankings.

18. Katie: Mostly down this low because she didn't help much with the puzzle and also didn't say much yet. I had kind of forgotten about her.

19. Colton: Not last only because ...

20. Rupert: So over you.