URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID33
Thread Number: 431
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"flag waving"

Posted by kingfish on 01-23-10 at 08:00 AM
I can't turn it off.

I read the new messages, but the flag still waves. It used to go away after I had read whatever message turned it on.

Any suggestions as to how to get it work right?

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"Did you skip any messages?"
Posted by IceCat on 01-23-10 at 09:05 AM

"RE: flag waving"
Posted by Snidget on 01-23-10 at 09:48 AM
The cookie on the computer you are on usually seems to be where the on/off lives.

If you sign on to a different computer you get the red wavy because that computer doesn't know what you did with other computers behind it's back.

You might try clearing out the cookies (either all of them or get in and find the RTVW specific ones). You will probably have to log in again and will get the red wavy. After going into the inbox and back out it should then go away.

Sometimes you get a corrupted cookie, (come to the dark side we have cookies) and that can mess things up until you get a new one.

Posted by grit on 01-23-10 at 01:54 PM
After you read your messages, do you hit your Back button to go back to the Lobby or do you click the Lobby button up there? If you click back the flag keeps waving.

Also, like Snidget said, if you're using different computers or clearing your cookies, the flag will show up again.

One more thing, if you browse using the InPrivate feature, the flag will always wave.

Runs off to make kingfish's flag wave...

Posted by kingfish on 01-23-10 at 03:07 PM
LAST EDITED ON 01-23-10 AT 03:07 PM (EST)

I do all of those things. I just thought multiple negatives would result in one positive, or that the flag waving machine would just break down, or something.

Ok, I cleared the cookies off the home annoyance (computer) and it killed the flag. Thanks Snidge. I also re-checked the last month's worth of messages (back before this began) so if that did the trick, thanks Icey.

Except that it started again, in semaphore it's saying "Grit did it, Grit did it".

Posted by Snidget on 01-23-10 at 05:22 PM
*resists urge to start secret message sending campaign to kingfish so he never knows if it stayed fixed or not*

Posted by kingfish on 01-24-10 at 08:00 AM
Your thoughts are like an open book thread.

Posted by jbug on 01-24-10 at 04:48 PM
Hey Guppie, have you corrupted me too?
I'm having the same problem with my new laptop!
At work, the red wavey goes away;
but here it just keeps waving and waving and wa

Cookies you say? Are they chocolate chip? do they have nuts?

Posted by Snidget on 01-24-10 at 04:55 PM
I'd check your cookie settings, if the browser as installed doesn't keep the cookies you'll get the red wavy every single time (can you stay logged in at home?, if you have to log in every time that would indicate you don't keep the cookies when you close the browser)

Posted by jbug on 01-24-10 at 05:54 PM
Thanks Snidge. There's so much for me to figure out with this new laptop. It also came with Windows 7 so I'm getting used to finding everything. Have been using XP, so....

Posted by jbug on 02-04-10 at 09:23 PM
I'm still watching my flag wave here on my new laptop. I've deleted cookies and everything
oh well

"HEY!"
Posted by Maroonclown on 03-15-10 at 08:15 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-15-10 AT 08:17 PM (EST)

Would this be a good excuse to start a red flaggy wavy thingy thread.

Send some flags to some folks.

It's like getting a handwritten letter. It feels good and makes you feel loved.

Calling OffTopic, send 3 peeps a red flaggy wavy thingy. Even if to just say HI!

ETA - Oh fer gawd's sake, thought I was in OT. One too many glasses of wine. Moving on.

Thanks Cap'n

"RE: HEY!"
Posted by jbug on 03-15-10 at 09:06 PM
It will be funny to see how many peeps comply with your wishes

BTW, my red wavy will not turn off on my laptop.
So I have to go look e.v.e.r.y day (I feel like I'm caught by that old "made you look" joke every day).