URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID87
Thread Number: 429
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"What will it take for a female celebrity to win DWTS?"

Posted by Estee on 11-28-07 at 09:11 AM
LAST EDITED ON 11-28-07 AT 09:33 AM (EST)

Right now, I'm thinking 'a same-gender pairing with Julianne.' I'm not sure what else would work. (Yes, we'd get a million protests from the Religious Reich and Len would probably have a heart attack on the spot, but there are people voting to keep the dance partners week after week and ignoring the celebrities.) Maksim and some of other complainers may have a point: the fans seem to keep selecting male winners based on basic body type. How do we get around that? Do we need one A-lister in the contestant pool? Someone willing to pay for votes? Invoke Janet Jackson?

What is it going to take?

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: What will it take for a female celebrity to win DWTS?"
Posted by Zimbochick on 11-28-07 at 09:24 AM
I'm guessing it's the demographic of the majority of the voters? Maybe wrong. They consistently vote for personality, and the cute little boy-toy types, and not dance ability. Now granted Helio was a good dancer, he just wasn't up there with the talent of Mel or Sabrina IMHO. I don't know how you could top the abilities of those two. I do think Mel and Mak's freestyle could have been WAAAAYYY better, and maybe that would have made a difference with the voters, but I doubt it. I just remember watching Mel and Mak's paso, and being blown away, and that is the feeling they should have tried for again in the freestyle. I also think most guys watching are going to vote for Julianne regardless of who she is paired with. I know when I watch with my DH (which is rare) I keep on having to ask him to stop drooling when Julianne is dancing. I also suspect some may think Maks arrogant. I don't, I think he is uber talented and very funny, just a thought.

Posted by Ahtumbreez on 11-28-07 at 09:34 AM
Didn't a female win the first season? That's the only season I watched all the way through and I remember a cute, little soap actress winning over John somethingorother. Or did I dream that?

If I did dream it I added wardrobe malfunction and all.

agman lvoes me

Posted by Snidget on 11-28-07 at 10:02 AM
Yep, season one the female soap star won it.

Since then every season it has been smaller men with a dance or athletic background.

The first season can be an aberration because I think it didn't have the same attraction for the stars to be on it.

This season they did seem to stack it with women likely to do well and it still didn't work. I think some is demographics for the show. I think a lot of the women who watch are more likely to vote for the cute guy they want to dance with than a woman setting a standard they can't live up to.

To get a woman to win they may need a season without a guy who is charming, cute and with the physical talent to improve enough to make it to the end. Clone Master P and only cast those guys and I think a woman could win.

I also think that the guys have the advantage sometimes with the partners. A lot of people seem to like certain partners and none of the guys have that IT factor enough to carry the duo by themselves like Cheryl or Julianne. I think casting Derek was a shot at getting a guy that people would support the way they do the female professionals.

Posted by whimsey on 11-28-07 at 11:43 AM
"I think a lot of the women who watch are more likely to vote for the cute guy they want to dance with than a woman setting a standard they can't live up to."

Well said, Snidget.

We women tend to do that.

Posted by REDFL on 11-29-07 at 12:28 PM
"smaller men"....???

Emmitt Smith is definitely NOT small in stature, unless you're comparing him to Godzilla.

Posted by Snidget on 11-29-07 at 12:39 PM
Googling Emmitt seems most sites peg him at about 5'9" or 5'10" which isn't that tall. I do not remember him towering over the women like some of the guys who didn't do as well.

Did I google the wrong sites? I don't remember him looking 6'2".
here is one of the sites, Do I have the right guy?
http://www.allsports.com/players/emmit-smith/

Maybe compact would be term you would approve of? I didn't mean to imply skinny, but that the guys that win usually aren't the tallest ones in their season.

Posted by kathliam on 11-28-07 at 10:04 AM
Stock the male celeb side of the dance floor with Mr. P, Kenny Mayne, Wayne Newton, Floyd Patterson, Billy Ray Cyrus and Jerry Springer?

Replace Carrie Ann Inaba. She seems to continually nit-pick the 'missteps' made by female celebrities while glossing over the same errors made by the male celebrities. If she is going to critique actual dance steps, she needs to be consistent about it.

That being said, it will always be harder for a female to win than a male. Kelly Monaco winning season one was a fluke, not so much for her dancing, which was good, but because the show was new and viewers hadn't really caught on. In ballroom and in latin dance, the role of the female dancer is almost always more difficult. I really can't think of any dance, with the possible exception of the paso doble, where the man has more difficult steps than the woman.

Plus, the female celebrities will, whether we like it or not, be compared to the female pros -- do you want to dance next to Edyta, Julianne, Cheryl or Kym? Not me, thank you very much.

It's all sour grapes for me today, because I really felt Mel was the superior dancer this year. Her freestyle Monday night was a little bland, but she truly is the first female celeb in a long time who even came close to dancing at a professional level. She almost out-Edyta'd Edyta Monday night with her costume! Not to knock Helio, because he did develop into a fair dancer, but he is not in the same league as Drew or Apolo.

Posted by Estee on 11-28-07 at 10:10 AM
do you want to dance next to Edyta, Julianne, Cheryl or Kym?

Cue Brave.

I'm starting to think Kelly winning DWTS was like Richard winning Survivor -- they both got the only season when it was possible.

Posted by kathliam on 11-28-07 at 10:20 AM
I said dance next to, as in being compared to, not dance with!! But you knew that.

Heck, I drool over Edyta more than DH, and that's saying something.

Posted by redheaded_sweetheart on 11-28-07 at 10:21 AM
...and remember the backlash when she did win. The viewers were so upset they demanded and "dance off" and she lost that. I don't remember her dancing ability so much, just that her partner practically dropped her twice in the finals but they still got all 10's.

Anyway, I thought Mel and Max were good, but I'm one of the people who cast all my votes Monday night for Helio. Prior to that I was splitting them between Helio and Jenny.

Posted by prosecutor on 11-28-07 at 10:34 AM
I think most of the people voted more for Julianne than for Helio. He has no hip action and his foot work is not the best. Monday night I felt that Helio was on par with Marie and Mel and Max were the stand outs. Mel and Max deserved the win and we all know it.

Posted by Loree on 11-28-07 at 10:55 AM
I wonder if it would work to do 2 seasons a year. A male celebrity version and female one. Then all the celebrities would be compared to their own sex and it might help even out the scoring and voting. I would be happy watching both. They could have a male winner and a female winner each year. Either that or stack the celebrity field with talented female dancers. And only put elderly, ugly or unathletic male celebrities on the show. Even then I wouldn't be surprised to see Julianne's partner sneak in to the final 3 just on her votes alone.

I really wanted to see Mel B win. Helio was charismatic but not that great a dancer.

Posted by Sagebrush Dan on 11-28-07 at 11:24 AM
I voted for Helio, not Julianne.

Posted by Ahtumbreez on 11-28-07 at 10:30 AM
So the answer to Estee's original question is: Be on the first season.

Like I said earlier, I only caught snippets of this season, but read articles and threads. And I have to say a part of me was glad Mel didn't win, simply because Maks seemed so mean-spirited and jealous of Marie. And Julieanne and Helio seemed so happy and up-beat. Did I get the wrong impression and I wonder how many of the voters felt the same way.

agman lvoes me

Posted by mistyrose52 on 11-28-07 at 10:59 AM
How about a female athlete, like Peekaboo whatshername, or whoever?? Kristi Yamaguchi, a female gymnist who can maneuver all those turns, twists, and lifts??

Almost all the men who have won have either been boy band-types or athletes, so why not a female athlete?? THAT may be the key!!

Posted by Sagebrush Dan on 11-28-07 at 11:28 AM
I think the main reason athletes tend to win this thing is that they are of a bent for constant competition.
Actors compete for a role, but the point for them is the role, not the competition. So, competing week after week gets to be a bit much for them.
For athletes, it's the the competition itself that gets their juices flowing. So, they treat this as another competition and, for the most part, rise to the occasion. That's probably why they tend to be the most improved throughout the season — that is their mentality.
So yeah, it would be fun to see a female athlete get in there and go for it.

Posted by MKitty on 11-28-07 at 12:21 PM
I agree Dan. All the latest winners have been athletes..as they have the physical fitness, the endurance, and the fierce competitive spirit. Yes, they need more female athletes out there to give the boys a run for their money

Crooning courtesy of Agman

Posted by nailbone on 11-28-07 at 12:31 PM
Layla Ali?

agman rocks in all kinda ways!!

Posted by Sagebrush Dan on 11-28-07 at 03:19 PM
Oh.

Well, she gave it the college try, at least. Sweetie was a fan.

Posted by MKitty on 11-28-07 at 06:39 PM
Oops..yeah..forgot about her (sorry Laila!) But, being a boxer chick probably isn't a big draw for the voting demographic!

Posted by vince3 on 11-28-07 at 06:47 PM
Stacy Kiebler?

I think the problem with both her and Laila Ali were two-fold: Late season injury (ankle with Kiebler and I think Ali also had an ankle injury?) and their fanbases aren't vocal enough in voting........

"mea culpa"
Posted by Sagebrush Dan on 11-28-07 at 10:54 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-28-07 AT 10:54 PM (EST)

I didn't see the finale last night — I taped it and watched it tonight.

And I agree..... for the finale at least, Mel outdanced Helio like crazy. I wasn't impressed with him that much (he chose my least favorite dance by him too), but Mel knocked my socks off. I didn't like her in this dance the first time she did it, but last night.....wow!

"Hey Estee"
Posted by Sagebrush Dan on 11-28-07 at 11:29 AM
How about pairing KD Lang with Julianne? Just sayin' is all.

Posted by CattyChat on 11-28-07 at 12:12 PM
Personality!!! And not disappointing during the finale. The freestyle can make or break you.

Helio was the only man I voted for this season. I started out voting for Mel, Jennie, Marie & Helio --- then dropped Marie from my voting about 3 weeks ago. I really didn't care whether Mel or Helio won, as I thought both deserved the title, overall.

I think Helio's advantage was most definitely his personality & entertainment value of his dances and the fact that he tried so hard and took all criticism with a smile. At least that's why I really liked him.

Mel may have been a better dancer, but her dances just weren't quite as entertaining as Helio's (though they were the only other team to come close). Also, I was pulling more for Helio, because I thought Mel should have practiced more and tried to reach her true potential during the competition.

In sum, my voting criteria are: personality, entertainment, talent level, continued improvement each week & positive attitude (not necessarily in that order).

I think Mel had the best shot of winning this season than any other female contestants in the past. If only she practiced more, did a better freestyle routine (due to LACK OF PRACTICE TIME) and I think Maks' comments to the press may have even hurt her chances. No one likes to hear someone cut down their competition in a show like this that is really based on popularity. I love me some Maks, but I was very disappointed that he was so vocal this season about who did or did not deserve to be there.

Oh and I was out during the finale and didn't get to vote, but if I did I would have split my votes between Mel & Helio -- 1 for Mel and 2 for Helio, since Helio's freestyle was the best of the night.

It was Autumn & incessant piped the quails from shocks & sheaves;
like living coals, the apples burned among the withering leaves.
~~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Posted by MKitty on 11-28-07 at 12:25 PM
Yes, it is all about personality with a little talent thrown in. Helio was charming and fun loving. Mel was a little different, and despite her obvious talent, may have turned some people off because of her insecure-at-times personality. Maks often came off as extremely arrogant..so that didn't help either - where Julianne is bubbly and beautiful.

It's all about the voting demographic - which is probably largely women of a certain age - and we all loved Helio as the cute and charming Brazilian.

I would have been happy for either of them to win, anybody but Marie...but was actually hoping Mel would win as I figured it was time for a woman to win - and she did deserve it!!

Posted by qwertypie on 11-28-07 at 12:39 PM
And there might have been some strategic voting going on. Marie took out several other contestants, despite being in the bottom of the judges scoring, so people might have voted for second place Helio to keep him safe from the throngs of Marie fans.

Posted by nailbone on 11-28-07 at 12:33 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-28-07 AT 12:34 PM (EST)

Smaller costumes?

I don't vote, and just watch to see Julianne, Edyta and Kim. And any hot female comntestants like Jennie and Marie.

And the smaller the costumes, the better.

Were you expecting anything else?

Posted by qwertypie on 11-28-07 at 12:45 PM
DH is still talking about Julianne's tiger dress from last season.

Posted by nailbone on 11-28-07 at 03:50 PM
Me-OW!!

Posted by Snidget on 11-28-07 at 01:24 PM
How small would the costume have to be to actually make you dial the phone to vote?

Stockings hung by Sharnina with care

Posted by nailbone on 11-29-07 at 03:27 PM
Not gonna happen

Posted by Sagebrush Dan on 11-28-07 at 03:22 PM
On the female celebs or the male pros?

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Posted by Zimbochick on 11-28-07 at 12:46 PM
See I have to disagree with some of the comments about Maks. All the interviews I saw with him he was not nasty at all. They asked him about various people in the competition, and he said Marie had the least amount of talent of the finalists, and had gotten by because of her huge fan base. He said she was outgoing and fun, but Mel and Sabrina were better dancers. I don't see what was so bad about that. Cheryl said the same thing but she is not being villified.

Posted by Ahtumbreez on 11-28-07 at 01:42 PM
There's an article on the homepage of RTVW title (paraphrasing) Maksim bashes Marie. And there were a few more quotes elsewhere that showed Maks snarkier side. I don't think his attitude won him any votes.

agman lvoes me

Posted by nailbone on 11-28-07 at 03:53 PM
the guys that have won have been pretty varied in "body type" - Drew Lachey is not an athlete, and Emmitt Smith is definitely a different type than Ohno or Castroneves.

Maybe if Max could dance as well as Julianne and Cheryl, he might have a beef.

Posted by pr1ncejeffie on 11-29-07 at 06:34 AM
I think there are 4 male professional dancers that are just brilliant and can win for the female side. All it takes is a good dancer but not a great dancer. Unfortunately Americans do not vote for the best, they judge them by personality. Which is sad. Hate to bring politics into this but you know what I'm saying. Americans nitpicks at every detail you could imagine.

The 4 professional male dancers that I thought had great choreography. Unfortunately I don't know their names except for two.

Maks (Mel B's. dancer) who I think is a great dancer and has great choreography.

Sabrina's dancer, i think his name is Mark? He was trained by his mother who happens to be one of the best dancers in history.

Jane Seymour's dancer who is great in ballroom dancer but I haven't really seen the full potential in his Latin dances. Jane Seymour is a nice dancer but her Latin dances was lacking and I couldn't really judge on his dancing.

Derek Hough, Julianne's brother and was also trained by Mark's mother. His choreography WAS THE BEST HANDS down for any female performer. Unfortunately, Jennie couldn't catch up to his dances. If Derek gets just a tad better dancer, he could win the whole thing.

Posted by Sagebrush Dan on 11-29-07 at 03:36 PM
Excellent points. I hope we'll see more of him in future contests. Given the ratings of this show, I'm sure any pro would kill to get on here.

Posted by MikeS on 12-23-07 at 08:07 PM
I realise, from the dates, that it's unlikely anyone is still reading this...but, anyway.

From the UK, we've just had on the parent show of DWTS ( Strictly Come Dancing, as we call it ) the first female winner for some time, the singer Alesha Dixon. So, a few points, since I watched both the US and UK version

She was *clearly* the best dancer... by a mile. But would still probably have not won, had it not been for two factors,

A) The system was changed in the UK, so that after the judges votes and viewers were combined, the bottom two "danced off" and the judges ( 4 in the UK, including Len and Bruno ) chose which to eliminate. This meant that the primo piece of eye candy Gethin ( I work with mostly women and he was, apparently, really *top* eye candy ) was eliminated in the semi-final.

B) Alesha's partner Matthew was the superior choreographer, despite a few technical faults, Alesha was a superb performer, really "selling" the dance, and matthew worked to that. I watched the US version, and thought Mel B the better dancer, but would still have voted for helio because his routines were just better. His pertner was a much better choreographer than mel B's.

So if you want a women winner, you need to pick a gal who can really sell a dance, and give her a partner who is first and foremost a teacher and choreographer. And move to the system, however much Len and Bruno hate it, of a set ofjudges who can at least be a bit objective.

P.S. Marie Osmond... what were you lot *thinking* of voting that whiny, talentless, overgrown brat into the final ? America is *full* of talent and she's in your top 3 ???

Posted by Snidget on 12-23-07 at 08:18 PM
If you watch much American Reality TV you find that there are a large portion of people who vote for reasons that have nothing to do with talent. Marie making the finals is not surprising based on how voting has gone for any number of shows.

We even have websites devoted to determining which talentless hack will be voted for for some of the shows. It is hard to know if it has much effect, but when the talentless are appealing for some other reason it does seem to help keep someone around a lot longer than they otherwise would.

Even without that personality often carries people farther than their talent will.

America is perverse like that.

For the show So You Think You Can Dance they let America pick the bottom three and do a dance off for the first half of the season. The advantage is that lets those with talent who haven't yet connected with the audience a chance to stay in over those who just aren't that good. The top half are done all by votes only, but it does seem to weed out most of those that have no chance to win early in the season.

In the US they did change the judges scoring and vote total equation for DWTS to give more weight to the judges score than the original system allowed and that helps some.

When someone has a huge fan base coming into the show sometimes it is hard to overcome that, but at least the change in scoring does help ensure that popularity alone won't get you the win.

Posted by qwertypie on 01-01-08 at 01:16 PM
Welcome MikeS! Stick around. Do you get DWTS at the same time it is aired in North America?

Posted by twinkledance on 02-26-08 at 05:58 PM
i want a girl to winnnnnnn

Posted by H on 05-15-08 at 07:02 PM
I think that they have a female that could win...Kristy. Maks said in an interview that Kristy is probably the best dancer but will not win because women do not vote for other women. Well, not all women are jealous cats and there are those of us who do support our own. Sure Jason and Christian are nice to look at but I vote on talent and Kristy is the superior dancer. Figure skating is a very popular sport and Kristy is an icon in the skating world. I am sure she is getting lots of votes from the skating fans and that combined with her great dancing may just be enough to win it all.

Posted by Wacko Jacko on 05-20-08 at 09:33 AM
>I think that they have a
>female that could win...Kristy. Maks
>said in an interview that
>Kristy is probably the best
>dancer but will not win
>because women do not vote
>for other women. Well, not
>all women are jealous cats
>and there are those of
>us who do support our
>own. Sure Jason and Christian
>are nice to look at
>but I vote on talent
>and Kristy is the superior
>dancer. Figure skating is a
>very popular sport and Kristy
>is an icon in the
>skating world. I am sure
>she is getting lots of
>votes from the skating fans
>and that combined with her
>great dancing may just be
>enough to win it all.
>

Maks is a dufus. Of course Kristi will win. She is a professional dancer (on skates) and she is going up against Slo-Mo Man and Mr One Arm.

All it takes it putting a women who is professionally trained against people who are not. It guarentees her victory.

There is no suspense this year on who will win.

Posted by mtopaz on 05-20-08 at 01:04 PM
Maks is a dufus. Of course Kristi will win. She is a professional dancer (on skates) and she is going up against Slo-Mo Man and Mr One Arm.

All it takes it putting a women who is professionally trained against people who are not. It guarentees her victory.

There is no suspense this year on who will win.

I love Maksim, but Mark is a dufus - lol! Otherwise, I totally agree. Were the producers and judges so determined to have a female winner they stacked the deck? At this rate, they could sub-title the show "Dancing with the Gold Medalists Skaters"

No suspense, no drama, no arc of improvement for Kristi - will make for a dud of a finale. She wins, quel surprise!

Designed by Agman, siggy maker to the gemstones

Posted by LuckyLotus on 05-21-08 at 06:37 PM
I had also read the interview that Maks had given that despite Kristy being a great dancer, she will not win because there are more women viewers who would rather vote for a man than see a woman succeed which is a very one dimensional viewpoint to group all women into this category. I'm sure there are some women who act this way, but most do not and I personally have voted for both men and women throughout the seasons.

There are two main aspects to consider as to what each winner possesses. One is of course good dancing skills as with consistent high marks of first or second place that even without the viewer votes, the chances are you will make it into the semi-finals. If you slip for a week though, you may go home like Sabrina last season. Second is your likeability as Marisa had proven this season. Viewers enjoy the immense appreciation and excitement that she shown each week with 8s and 9s and kept her around for a few weeks longer despite being in the bottom whereas once Shannon ranted at the judges, she went home shortly after. Kristy had both which is the reason why she did win and was most deserving. In the past seasons, Drew, Emmitt, and Apolo also exhibited the great dancing skills AND the humbleness to make the viewers root for them. I didn't even know who Apolo was before DWTS but loved him and was rooting for him to win halfway through based on his humbleness and appreciation.

I felt that Maks' comments was due to his past experiences with both Laila and Mel B. But before blaming the women voters for their losses, lets look in the mirror first. I think Maks is a great choreographer of set dances but with both seasons, the freestyles that he choreographed were underwhelming and did not showcase his partners as much as they showed him off. This was the main reason why Laila didn't make it to the final 2. With Mel B. the underwhelming freestyle coupled with not having the likeability aspect due to judgment based on her past actions resulted in her lost.

So Maks in response to your interview, if you are lucky enough to have a partner that possesses the two qualities, make sure to choreograph a routine that showcases your partners ability in the freestyle round. The partner you get is a luck of the draw and you have been lucky enough to get a partner in each season that gave it a 100%. Take a page from Edyta's book and just enjoy the opportunity regardless.

Posted by CTgirl on 05-21-08 at 01:50 PM
Well I kind of called it after last season when I suggested they should cast Kristi Yamaguchi.

I didn't say she'd win, but I that's what I meant. She also didn't have a difficult cast to compete against, but good for her, I'm glad she won.

Setup by Tribe

Posted by MKitty on 05-21-08 at 05:29 PM
OMG..you DID call it! Way to go CT Girl!!

*Viced by Agman*

Posted by MKitty on 05-21-08 at 05:45 PM
While I lusted after Jason and Cristian, I cannot deny that Kristi was definately the best and most consistant dancer. She did deserve to win it...although part of me was secretly also rooting for Cristian.

Cristian overcame adversity to get to the top, but Kristi was a fantastic dancer..and we cannot deny that. Yes, sometimes she lacked the emotion that the others had...but she also had pure grit and determination and she was called on her lack of emotion more than once...so I think she did learn from it.

So..way to go Kristi..it is about time a woman won that damn gaudy trophy!

*Viced by Agman*

Posted by nailbone on 05-28-08 at 05:28 PM
'a same-gender pairing with Julianne.'

MMmmmmm....Julianne and Jen....

Posted by byoffer on 06-06-08 at 08:23 AM
Back to the OT Lexicon:
- draco'ing is having one's explode
- cahaya'ing is posting at 8888 and then disappearing
- estee'ing is getting called on one's math
- frisky'ing is walking out of a thread to avoid overwhelming urge to note sexual innuendo

So if I read your post and said I boner'ed would that be too blunt?