URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID20
Thread Number: 4288
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Express Pass Strategy"

Posted by featherfish81 on 04-21-14 at 02:08 PM
So I'm curious what you all think about the Cowboy's Express Pass strategy? Ultimately it worked, and I don't think it was terrible, but I don't think it's what I would have done.

I think I would have gone ahead and done the faster detour (which for them would probably be the donkeys, since they know how to ride) and saved the Express Pass in case I was U-Turned. Then if I wasn't, I would still have it to use on the Roadblock. And since this Roadblock was pretty long, and ultimately they didn't get detoured, they could have potentially gotten first place.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Express Pass Strategy"
Posted by Estee on 04-21-14 at 04:38 PM
Whenever possible, I want to hold the Express Pass for use on a Roadblock. Given the division of labor rule, negating one Roadblock might give my team a chance at an actual choice on the final leg. But that's me.

However, with them... I'm surprised they didn't immediately go for the donkeys, too. But I think their priority was geared more towards 'reach the station fast' because that was the way to ensure the U-Turn couldn't be used against them. In that, they failed.

Given when they arrived at the Roadblock... a shot at first place sounds about right.

Ultimately, both EPs seemed to fizzle this season, at least in the sense of making for a dramatic or prize-bringing result. However, both teams to use one are still on the course...

Posted by MCPorche on 04-22-14 at 01:03 PM
I think their decision to use the EP was a horrible idea.

Look at the pros and cons of using it as they did:

Pros:
--Only have to do one side of the detour (if U-Turned)

Cons:
--Locked into the other detour choice
--EP wasted if not U-turned

The only advantage to using it was that they only had to do one side of the detour, and that was the same advantage as if they had done one side of the detour, and then found out that they *were* u-turned, and used the EP at that point. The only difference would have been the time it took them to run from the U-turn mat back to one of the detour options to hand over the EP.

Posted by kingfish on 04-22-14 at 03:23 PM
I agree.

But they do have to use it sometime, and it's only really obvious in retrospect that that was sort of a poor decision. There was some rationale for it before hand. You have to go with your best guess at the time.