URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID20
Thread Number: 4257
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"TAR 23 Detours"

Posted by featherfish81 on 10-10-13 at 00:31 AM
I'm not sure I'll be able to keep this up all season, but I like this thread, so I'll try.

So the question is - if you were on the race, which of the detours would you have chosen to do?

This week, your choice is:
Mining - Smash a salt block until you find the clue
-or-
Brining - Add salt to a pool of water until you float

Normally I don't go for the physical task, but I think I would have gone with mining. Brining was still a physical task, and involved more uncertainty. (Not to mention the cold bath).

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: TAR 23 Detours"
Posted by kidflash212 on 10-10-13 at 10:20 AM
I would have chosen Mining as well. The thought of soaking in all that salt water just doesn't appeal to me.

Posted by udg on 10-11-13 at 04:02 PM
I might have chosen the brining, but I think the mining was smarter.

Posted by PsychoKitty on 10-11-13 at 05:22 PM
I don't know . . . The mining could have turned out to be disastrous. Such a small clue - I was worried for them, but it worked out okay. I was thinking brining would have been faster - just lug as many bags as you could and get it over with!

Not that I have an opinion one way or another ;)
Signature by tribephyl

"RE: TAR 23 Detours - Portugal"
Posted by featherfish81 on 10-15-13 at 08:02 PM
This week, two mental tasks:

Miles - Measure the distance Magellan traveled in his trip AROUND the earth
-or-
Tiles - Complete a puzzle made from tiles

While I like puzzles so my initial choice would have been tiles, hopefully I would have realized that the miles task was more up my ally (and faster) and chosen that one.

Posted by MzTee on 10-15-13 at 09:05 PM
Tiles - i think i would have messed up the easy miles

Posted by udg on 10-16-13 at 00:47 AM
Tiles. I the fact that it was a puzzle would have lured me in.

Thanks to tribephyl for the sigpic!

Posted by Belle Book on 10-16-13 at 06:41 PM
I'm not great in math, but I think I'd be good enough (and hope to have a partner good enough) to handle the Miles task, so I'd probably go for that.

"RE: TAR 23 Detours - Norway"
Posted by featherfish81 on 10-25-13 at 11:27 AM
Sorry for the late postings, I've been traveling.

This week, your fish related tasks:

Hang Your Heads - string a bunch of fish and then hang them out to dry
-or-
Hammer the Cods - Retrieve 30 fish from a drying rack then pound them to obtain fish jerky

I would have been fooled - hammering the cods didn't seem like it would take that long especially compared to wheeling them all of the way up the hill, so I would have chosen that.

Posted by udg on 10-25-13 at 01:46 PM
I would have been fooled - hammering the cods didn't seem like it would take that long especially compared to wheeling them all of the way up the hill, so I would have chosen that.

Me, too. Also, the smell.

Posted by Starshine on 10-25-13 at 02:56 PM
yes I think I'm with the two of you, get some cod from a drying stand and put a kilo in a bowl, easy!

Posted by Belle Book on 10-25-13 at 08:56 PM
I would've gone for Hang Your Heads -- I think. Although wheeling the fish up the hill would be quite a bit of work!

"RE: TAR 23 Detours - Poland"
Posted by featherfish81 on 10-28-13 at 11:58 PM
The continuation leg, this time in Poland...

Your choice (sorry, I don't have their official names)
Polka - Dance a traditional dance
-or-
Statue - Wear a Neptune costume and stand there until passers by give you money

I would have definitely gone with the dancing. I'm fairly coordinated (at least by race standards) and standing there in the plaza involved a lot of luck.

Posted by udg on 10-29-13 at 01:28 AM
I think I'd have gone Neptune and then been too stupid to beg for money while posing.

Posted by Starshine on 10-29-13 at 03:15 AM
I've always hated the begging tasks, so I would have tried the Polka, although with two left feet it wouldn't be a great task for me

Posted by Belle Book on 10-29-13 at 10:36 AM
I would've done the polka as well. I've done Gypsy dancing before -- at Renaissance Faires -- and I picked the steps up fairly quickly.

"RE: TAR 23 Detours - Austria"
Posted by featherfish81 on 11-08-13 at 11:19 PM
This week, your choices:

Light Brigade - Assemble a chandelier
-or-
Masquerade - Dress up and find matching masks

Initially, while they were describing building the chandelier, I thought I would pick that, because I usually go for the mental task. But when I found out they would smash it if it was wrong and I heard what the other task was, I would definitely have gone with masquerade. While a search task, it was a small area, and definitely had the potential to go quickly.

"RE: TAR 23 Detours - UAE"
Posted by featherfish81 on 11-11-13 at 12:06 PM
Your choice:

Sort it out - arrange a platter full of dates and figs
-or-
Sew it up - put together a fishing net

I think I would have gone with the fishing net. It seemed quicker than the figs, although I'm detail-oriented enough that I might be wrong.

Posted by Belle Book on 11-11-13 at 12:38 PM
Both would have been tough. I'm not exactly a great sewer and I'm great with spotting little details, but the fishing net seemed quicker. I'd probably either flip a coin or just let my partner decide which was the easier Detour.

Posted by udg on 11-11-13 at 11:42 PM
Fishing net seemed quicker, but figs were in the shade! I would have burned to a crisp in the first 30 seconds of the net task, which is what I think I'd have chosen.

Posted by Starshine on 11-12-13 at 07:23 AM
I'm really not that handy so I would definitely go with the dates

"RE: TAR 23 Detours - UAE Part 2"
Posted by featherfish81 on 11-19-13 at 02:09 AM
This week, your choice:

Wedding Guests - follow recipe and prepare a platter of food and serve to wedding guests if approved
-or-
Beauty Contest - identify a prize winning camel and dress it up in finery

I think I would initially have gone with wedding guests, since it seemed less subjective than trying to find a good camel. But once I saw how much chopping was involved, and knowing that the other one was right around the corner, I might have switched.

Posted by udg on 11-19-13 at 02:34 AM
Wedding Guests. Animals are always a wild card.

Posted by Starshine on 11-19-13 at 07:04 AM
I'm with you, however in this case I think we both seem to have chosen the longer task.

Posted by udg on 11-19-13 at 01:04 PM
Yeah, but I try to answer based on how I'd have responded to the clue, not knowing how easy/hard or fast/slow a task is from watching the show.

Posted by Starshine on 11-19-13 at 07:25 PM
Me too, actually I think that I seem to be mostly doing the longer tasks this race

Posted by Belle Book on 11-19-13 at 12:01 PM
I think I would have chosen Beauty Contest. While animals are always hard to work with, in this case it would have taken a lot less time than Wedding Guests. Of course, if I'd had an Express Pass, I would have used it on this Detour.

Posted by featherfish81 on 12-03-13 at 04:46 PM
This week, you could choose:

Paint each other with makeup
-or-
Search for shears in tea bushes

I think I would have gone for makeup - search tasks are dangerous. Though seeing how long the makeup would take, I might hope to get lucky.

Posted by Belle Book on 12-03-13 at 04:54 PM
I would've gone for makeup as well. Finding a needle in a haystack is not for me!

Posted by udg on 12-03-13 at 07:17 PM
Given the curse of the search tasks, I'd have gone with Make-Up.

"RE: TAR 23 Detours - Japan"
Posted by featherfish81 on 12-09-13 at 08:38 PM
Penultimate Leg!

Your choice

Knock it Down - Compete in a Japanese game show called Human Bowling and knock down pins
-or-
Call it Up - Submerge yourself in a tank of water, listen to a message, and tell it to the judge

I would have gone with Call it Up. It seemed easier, especially since they weren't very picky about the Japanese pronunciation (if they even had to give that part of the phrase at all). And game shows can be pretty unpredictable.

Posted by Belle Book on 12-09-13 at 09:37 PM
Same with me -- I'd do Call It Up. The two teams who did it did it quickly. The teams who did Knock It Down took a lot longer.

Posted by udg on 12-09-13 at 11:06 PM
Call It Up. That was pretty tame for a Japanese game show, but I wouldn't have risked it.